Serenity (Firefly) Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keshou
    Hmmm....well Scifi definitely acquired the rights to air the original 15 episodes of Firefly.

They'll start showing them on July 22nd here in the states - airing right before SG-1 on Friday nights.

Seems to be a tie-in with the release of the movie in September. Universal Pictures, which is releasing the movie, is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.

I hadn't heard anything about a new series though. I think there's a lot of crossed fingers that if the movie is successful and the ratings for the reruns on Scifi are good you might see some interest in developing another series. I just think it's all speculation at this point, though.
    When FOX released the rights for the film to Univesal, they made Joss sign a contract that no tv show could be made for 10 years. So unless FOX has a change of hart, there's gonna be no new Firefly

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
    DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Originally posted by Imo
      When FOX released the rights for the film to Univesal, they made Joss sign a contract that no tv show could be made for 10 years. So unless FOX has a change of hart, there's gonna be no new Firefly
      Gosh, Fox is so Evil! When i heard that in an interview with Jewel Staite (i think is it was), i was crushed! But then again, if any of them get into a project that is pretty good, i dont want them obligated to leave that show (well nvm, stupid contracts!).
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Imo
        Well Fox drops another notch on my "favorite network" list.

I give Fox credit for at least making the show in the first place. But that's about it.

Still a chance for another movie if "Serenity" does well? Right?
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

A Big Damn Sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Imo
            Actually, this isn't true. It's an evil rumor started by Nathan Fillion to torture fans.

But still, the chance of this becoming a TV show again are zero for two reasons: 1) Firefly was really expensive to make. Each episode cost way more than a Farscape episode and Sci-Fi couldn’t even afford to keep that around. So with most of their budget trained on Battlestar Galactica there’s no way that they could support a show like Firefly. 2) Joss Whedon is still under contract with Fox for any TV work he does. I don’t think he’s anxious to work for Fox again so he’s closed Mutant Enemy and is focusing on movies.

So just forget about Firefly coming back as a show and enjoy Serenity and its BIG DAMN SEQUELS.
            Last edited by impulsivelad; 17 June 2005, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by impulsivelad
              Actually, this isn't true. It's an evil rumor started by Nathan Fillion to torture fans.

But still, the chance of this becoming a TV show again are zero for two reasons: 1) Firefly was really expensive to make. Each episode cost way more than a Farscape episode and Sci-Fi couldn’t even afford to keep that around. So with most of their budget trained on Battlestar Galactica there’s no way that they could support a show like Firefly. 2) Joss Whedon is still under contract with Fox for any TV work he does. I don’t think he’s anxious to work for Fox again so he’s closed Mutant Enemy and is focusing on movies.

So just forget about Firefly coming back as a show and enjoy Serenity and its BIG DAMN SEQUELS.
              Really? Where did you read that thing about Nathon F. making that up? I want to know.

Sad for Joss Whedon though.
              Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

A fan asked Joss about it at the last screening and he admitted that it was a lie and said Nathan had started it at the Cons.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                  From the "Hmmm, they just didn't watch the series at all, did they?" file comes the description of Firefly from the "Fox knows DVD" brochure that was in my copy of The Pretender S1 box set.

"Firefly The Complete Series: This highly innovative drama combines futuristic crime-fighting with a Wild West theme."

Hmmm. Okay!
                  WTF???

(catching up on posts...sorry!)

And to the questioner regarding the soundtrack...I honestly do not think it will be overly twanggy judging from the tone and visual effects in the movie.

My Favorite Jayne Quotes:
                  "Time for some thrilling heroics."
                  "These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me."
                  "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in ruttin' command."
                  "I'll be in my bunk."

Comment

But I am hoping for some twangs... I wouldn't want them to go all techno or whatever. A nice mix would actually fix with the style of the show. Future & Wild West/Electronic & Western.

Comment

I'm hoping for some twangs (and that the theme makes a surprise visit at the end of the film), because you can't have a western without twangs.

Comment

Well the filler music was...well, not that. Luckily anyone who has to wait till September will not be subjected to the hodgepodge of music (that belongs to other films).

I too would like the music to be slightly twangy...

*soundtrack novice about to speak*

Are there any relatively well-recognized composers that DO "slightly twangy?"

My Favorite Jayne Quotes:
                        "Time for some thrilling heroics."
                        "These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me."
                        "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in ruttin' command."
                        "I'll be in my bunk."

Comment

David Newman is scoreing the film, he's done alot of films y'all would have seen, but I can't think of any that were 'twangy'. here's a list of his films

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
                          DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Damn, none of the films on his list inspires confidence in me.

Comment

I liked Galaxy Quest, Bowfinger and The Phantom...
                              He seems to have done quite a wide variety of films from different genres... at least the skill and potential is there.
                              Interesting... comes from a rather musical clan... Randy Newman's cousin, eh?
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Randy Newman does interesting...

But a pedigree doesn't necessarily make for a good score. I mean, I loved the Gladiator soundtrack but that's really the only Hans Zimmer thing I've really liked. Could have been due to the Lisa Gerrard factor, of course, for she is a goddess.

Comment

Working...
                                X