Firefly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hywel
    Just finished watching the first two episodes on my dodgy PS2, and I have to say I'm impressed. The visuals are amazing for a TV series, and the acting isn't too hammed-up, as I was expecting it to be. It'll be hard not to watch all the episodes in one go - I want to watch one a week as if I was watching it on TV.
    I commend you on your strength of will. I couldn't wait for one ep a week. As soon as I got the boxset I set out on a marathon run. I remember watching the first nine eps, but then gave into sleep and watched the rest the next day.

Comment

I love it.

A friend of mine showed me The Train Job and I was a bit confused so I watched the pilot Serenity and it all started to make sense. I was sold though the moment I saw Kaylee's cute face. Jewel is so....*dreamy state*

Anyway, my friend got the DVD's and we watched them all... Just awesome and so bad they cancelled it. I'm sure it could have worked.

But now we have the movie, I so can't wait to see it....
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I came to it rather late but I was sold right from the beginning...
        Spoiler:
        When Wash releases the "crybaby" to throw the Alliance ship off their trail
        I convulsed into laughter and thought, "There's something really refreshing about this show's sense of humour."
        It really is one of the wittiest American television shows I have ever seen.

My father is a recent convert... I lent him the box set about three months ago... and a few weeks ago, he asked me if I had anymore Firefly episodes...

There should be a special level of hell reserved for execs who can quality shows half way through a season... like people who speak in theatres
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I was converted last year by my brothers girlfriend, she brought the DVD's over and I watched them all in one hit haven't looked back since

Eater- I was won over by Wash to, but for me it was the dinosaurs...

Wash (as Stegosaurus): We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... "This Land."
          Wash (as T-Rex): I think we should call it "your grave!"
          Wash (as Stegosaurus): Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
          Wash (as T-Rex): Ha ha ha! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!
          Wash (as Stegosaurus): Oh, no, God! Oh, dear God in heaven!

Classic

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
          DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Ah... yes... classic... indeed...
            Wash has some of the show's best lines...

"I'm a large, semi-muscular man..., I can take it."
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I personally found Firefly far too cheesy to watch. It seemed like a setting and character set that belonged more in Anime than in live action science fiction. In fact, its been done there before. Several times.

Comment

Seventh of October! I only have to wait five weeks till I can see the film

Does anyone else get to see it sooner? I'd like to know cause there's a particular SF forum I'll want to avoid till I've seen the film if there are likely to be spoilers there.

Madeleine

Comment

Could anyone catch me up on exactly what Firefly is about? I wanna see the movie and actually understand it.
                  JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                  VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                  MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                  LANDRY
                  : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                  Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                  Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                  Mmm... Green...

Comment

Could anyone catch me up on exactly what Firefly is about? I wanna see the movie and actually understand it.
                    Mal Reynolds is captain of a cargo ship, the Serenity. He was a soldier on the losing side in a war of independance ten years earlier. He makes the best of living under the victorious Alliance, and takes on whatever work he can get. Legal work, sometimes.

His crew are Zoe and Wash (married couple, her an ex soldier him a pilot), Kaylee (darling engineer) and Jayne (mercenary and hilarious boor). They took on passengers, one of whom, River, is a fugitive whose brain was fiddled about with by mysterious Alliance somebodies. River's brother Simon is a (very dishy) doctor and tries to keep her from being too looney. The price on her head is very high.

People are wealthy at the core planets, but the outer planets are usually frontier planets where life is very basic. Mal's ship mostly stays on the outer regions, but not so far out that they are at risk from the Reavers, "men gone wild on the edge of space".

That's the basics that i can think of. But I'd recommend watching the series.

Madeleine

Comment

Thanks!
                      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                      LANDRY
                      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                      Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                        Seventh of October! I only have to wait five weeks till I can see the film

Does anyone else get to see it sooner? I'd like to know cause there's a particular SF forum I'll want to avoid till I've seen the film if there are likely to be spoilers there.
                        From what I've seen, it doesn't look like there's going to be anymore advanced screenings, the last bunch were on Sep 1st. I think there'll just be some press screenings coming up.

Note to all, in the GW Serenity thread we're pretty good with spoiler tags. So as long as you don't highlight you'll be safe.
                        So come in and say hi, join the shindig.
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=8650

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
                        DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                          You don't need to have the background to appreciate the film. But it helps...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 6thMonolith
                            People are wealthy at the core planets, but the outer planets are usually frontier planets where life is very basic. Mal's ship mostly stays on the outer regions, but not so far out that they are at risk from the Reavers, "men gone wild on the edge of space".

That's the basics that i can think of. But I'd recommend watching the series.
                            And you'll think you're watching a western once they get off ship. It's a cool mix of sci-fi and historical settings. You'd think that Whedon, coming off two super successful tv series (Buffy and Angel) would have been a tasty morsel to studio execs. Firefly has his trademark wit, action, plot twists...What was not to like? Hooray for the upcoming movie.

Just sayin'.
                            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                            sigpic
                            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Hey peeps...just came across this thread for the first time and thought that I would stop by to say that I have been pulled into watching Firefly by a few crazies that I chat with on MSN and I have to admit I have came hoplessly addicted to the show...it is on at 5pm here on Friday nights on Sci-Fi...so it is convienient...on right before SG-1, SGA and BSG....4 great shows on one night!!!

I love Wash by the way!
                              sigpic

Comment

Anyone else in Canada watching the marathon on today? They're up to Our Mrs Reynolds right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X