No announcement yet.

Prepare for Starburst: A Farscape Rewatch Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I have premiere too but haven't taken the time to learn it. Seems way more complicated. :s
    Originally posted by jelgate
    This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Before I start replying to everyone's comments I just want to explain I might be behind the next few days. I am having Internet issues at the moment. I can still get online but it cuts off all the time and when it does work it is quite slow. I watch Farscape through my Netflix account so streaming is an impossibility. I plan to have it fixed tomorrow but I might not.
      Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
      I want to comment on the comments about my comments about Til the Blood Runs Clear first, then I will move into my review about The Flax.

so then ...

@Jel....I know I know I'm an annoying shipper...blah blah blah I'm used to it. But again we all watch these eps for our own reasons. My number one reason is for the Aeryn and John ship and I do enjoy it when I see the little things I know you don't see it...but I do..just deal . I don't necessarily say there is shippiness in every scene with them, I am just noticing their increasing closeness and bickering like married people....it's part of this dance that is oh so subtle in the beginning and increases as the series progresses.
      Their is nothing wrong with shipping when its taken in a rational manner. I have been known to support ships in some shows. For DS9 fans, I loved Odo/Kira. I have issues when people see every scene as a support of their ship. I don't mean in literal sense but yes I think you see ships when its not there. That is not an anti- John/Aeryn but my dislike towards shipping. Stargate fandom has jaded me to that fact. As you said, just deal
      @ Blue - thank you yes it was my daughter who graduated and we had a party for her, then as soon as the party was over my sister's dog who is 14 years old had the doggie version of a stroke so we were beside ourselves trying to rush her to the vet and figure out what was going on with her and my watching the wrong ep delayed me quite considerably.
      But I love Rhapsody in Blue. Now you get to watch it twice. Rumor has it SQ had too much to drink at the party if you know what I mean.
      I love all your editing and aesthetic comments and I'm going to keep these in mind when I go back to rip the scenes I want to use if and when I do that John/Aeryn Vid. And I see we agree alot about this ep TTBRC with regard to the whole alpha male thing...but poor jel he's just in denial that it is this power struggle going on and wants to take offense at it being male...well I'm assuming he's male I don't mean any offense about it BTW just wanted to make that clear I'm just pointing out that I see a very clear power struggle with regard to D and John in the beginning. And I think at one point they have a convo coming up which is a slight spoiler...but I think it's small...in which John actually insists they agree who is going to actually give Pilot the commands and they have to come to a consensus on who will be the one to do that, because they agree it's confusing for Pilot to have so many "leaders" to try to listen to.
      Typical. Shippers gang up on the rational people. Its not so much I disagree, just you are making more simplistic as just gender. I can't argue that John and D'Argo fight in the beginning but I am not convinved its about power. John never gives an indication he wants power anyway. You are thinking of a S4 episode BTW
      @Jel and FH word for Zhaan being the monochromatic friend....I don't see her as being obsessed with sex really and hey I'm not obsessed with it either....I just call things like I see them....yes call me warp and maybe possibly seeing things....but it's some things that stick out to me. ....Literally
      Its Chiana. Monochromatic because she is all white.
      The Flax

I LOVE THIS EP!! *giggles* Yes and jel just sit down and shut up cuz if you say this one isn't shippy you are completely frelled.
      Sometimes a kiss means nothing...
      This has to be the first one where you have to say...ok maybe there is a little attraction going on between Aeryn and John. Everything from her wanting to be the one who "dies" to her telling him, actually promising him that she would not let him down.....all the way to her not actually finishing the repairs because she didn't want to die alone. I mean I think she has finally allowed herself to want him around if anything to give her some form of companionship. And they actually in the end try to cover it up by saying oh we would've done that if it were D'argo or Zhaan here ..etc. I think there is no denying this lays the ground work for their relationship. Especially that hilarious thing at the very end when John confirms with Aeryn that she is indeed the female of her species and instead of answering him she actually tweaks his man part LOL And John takes that as a yes.
      To be so overanalyzing. She thought she was going to die. And she had just seem John die temporarily. Those kind of actions send emotions and hormones into overdrive. I don't deny their is something there but a lot of it was created because of the near death situation.
      This brings me to the other "relationship" in all it's hilarity between the other form of "man-chick" we have this week that is hitting on D'argo....and here I go again but seriously was that whole scene with them getting the ship through the flax uber sexual in nature or what? LOL I mean honestly here we have D'argo hitting that thing over and over with a rod and the Zenetan Pirate is doing some physical maneuvering in which he/she works up a sweat all to break free or actually penetrate the flax.... again I really never realized just how sexual they made these eps til now. LOL I can't help it call me a weirdo but I thought the Zenetan Pirate man chick was gonna break out a cigarette after they broke loose from that. and then well he/she at the end explained she actually developed feelings for D'argo and considered him a mate. *snort* I mean again.... I call it like I see it.
      I repeat my stance of you seeing everything as sex. Its to reflect his "garbologist" life.
      I really also loved the Rygel bluff and how he managed to successful stall them and then in the end send them away to Zhaan's surprise. You gotta love that about Rygel. Always having one up his sleeve.
      One of his shinning moments. He may be greedy and selfish but he knows his way around diplomacy.
      The only thing that I found somewhat irritating is how much these folks get tossed around inside these transit space craft you'd think they would've by now developed some sort of seat belts or something... I mean really....must John always get thrown and land on top of Aeryn? That after a time does become a bit much. Yes even for me the weirdo crazed shipper.
      I think this right up with everyone speaking English. Disbelief for dramatic suspense. More exicitng to see people thrown around
      One more post...sorry

@Blue....AWESOME VID!! I loved how upbeat and literally My gosh you must've used a ton of clips in it. WOW! I couldn't green you here but I went on You tube so I could comment and like it. Now I feel the pressure...my silly little Windows Movie Maker is probably not gonna allow me to do as much of the fancy as you. But meh....we'll see. Great job though.
      I'd blame the Windows 10 upgrade
      @Jel...now you must admit... I didn't really gush over the shipping parts on the Flax as bad as you thought now did I? And I agree with you in that I don't necessarily call it shipping as much as just bonding....I'll go with bonding...we can agree on that one. I think all in all it shows just how Aeryn is willing to let her guard down and finally succumb to him too and that is basically just a trust issue. I think it shows that she is willing to truly trust him and he trust her. I mean it's not every day you allow someone to kill you and bring you back
      Probably because it was so obvious you couldn't ignore it this time I agree with the trust but I think its more gradual then you are reviewing. I don't think she trusts until S3. This moments of togetherness at this point are more friendship. The Flax being an exception
      Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Considering TV gets CPR wrong every single time, you really can't learn much from it.

It's like Jelgate says, the force you need to perform compressions on the heart, will break ribs and bones.

-- will be back after lunch with my reviews... (I'm at work)
      Did you save me a sandwich. Its kind of hard to ask an actor to get kind of damage to educate. After all how many people think they understand the legal system after watching Law & Order. Many are misinformed
      TO BE CONTINUED
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Till the Blood Runs Clear

Best line:
        "I'm Butch. This is Sundance."
        You can be Sundance. I want to be Butch
        Best moment: Zhaan giving into her sungasm on the planet. It's like she knows she's doomed and they might locate her, but she just can't resist -- also, sandangel!
        Sometimes we can't resist our primitive urges? Yes I'll give you that one SQ
        Okay, it's a pretty solid episode.

We've got Aeryn and John out in the Farscape I, hunting for solar flares and maybe even wormholes although it seems he kept that particular bit of info from Aeryn, if her reaction is anything to go by.
        I think she was there for the integration of Moya tech onto the module. She know about the wormholes I think. She didn't expect John to fly into one
        The bounty hunters -- Wroof, or whatever his name was, and his Female. Couple of eager beavers those two were! A little dimwitted as well - leashed by alpha male John.
        I think you could argue its a brain vs brawn matchup. The hunters have greater physical ability but John and Aeryn are smarter. Better looing too.
        Furlow:
        "Whatever it was, it's dead now." -- after clonking the thief over the head with the wrench.

"60% chance. 70% chance. 80 even." -- to Aeryn's chances of recovering her sight.
        Any way the wind blows, with that one.
        Furlow strikes me as a pragmatist. She doesn't care about hope of belief and just says it how it is,
        Changing Crais message was an interesting idea, and one that came from Aeryn. That personal message though -- I think on some level she wanted it to be real. She pretty much admits to it, but she knows her Peacekeeper kind well enough to know the honorable retirement is in fact living death - a faith worse than death.
        I agree, A big part of Aeryn's journey is seeing what the Peacekeepers really are. These scenes of going back are to show how hard that is for Aeryn
        D'Argo and John making up and then getting into that fire fight --
        The fire fight is to show that they aren't fighting anymore. A trait for the most part is true.
        Zhaan confirming the solar flares had stopped -- times ten -- no more gasms.

Definitely one of the more enjoyable ones in season 1.
        You seem disappointed
        * Later that same day... *
        ...at the Hall of Justice, Wonder Falcon and SuperJel
        I forgot to point out a continuity error in the previous post.
        When John D'Argo are in that firefight with Wroof and his Female, John's wearing goggles which have been scratched a lot. The holes to see through are bigger. However, the holes become smaller and less scratched in between frames. 1 moment they're scratched, the next they're nice and round, and scratched again.

It's as if Ben mixed up his set of goggles with Claudia's in between breaks, and thus continuity error is brought into existence.

//**//
        Isn't that more of a costume error? Its not like the googles make a difference in the story
        The Flax

Aeryn giving John flying lessons in the middle of no and where. The only thing missing was the big L on the back of the pod.

In Belgium, you get a white L on a blue background to put in the car, to show other drivers you're in the learning stage of driving and thus things can go wrong -- like not being able to get into gear when at a red light.
        I was confused at first until you explained Belgium law. I kind of like that, Makes us wish we did that so I could pass them quickly
        Anyhow, we have John and Aeryn out on their little excursion. Although Aeryn doesn't look very confident about John's abilities to pick the flying up -- not a fast learner.
        While Rygel is annoying the hell out of Zhaan, and out of D'Argo when they're arguing. He so like a child in that scene, drumming the little stick on the playboard. And he knows he's annoying Zhaan -- oh and he enjoys it too.
        I think Aeryn has the same problem when she learns John's ways. The problem is John lives in her world. As for Rygel, I was thinking he reminds of child having temper tantrum
        Aeryn and John fly into an invisible net - caught in the spider's web - and before long have no other choice but to let all the air out of the pod in order to fix things.
        I thought the Flax is what destroyed the oxygen controls in the first place
        I really enjoy the friendship -- at this point there's no relationship yet. Sure, there is some sexual tension between the two but Aeryn doesn't think very highly of John yet... so I don't think we can already say this relationship is going in full swing.
        Ha. Take that SQ. The insults is Aeryn's defense mechanism. I do agree about their relationship
        Even that steamy session at the end was just a "Oh ****, we're gonna suffocate. We're gonna die. Let's get hot and heavy one more time." Spur of the moment as it were.
        Its almost a cliché in TV that people hook up at mortal death
        Also, I don't dislike their relationship -- I really enjoy it, but I like it subtle.
        I'm more the subtle shipper.
        I think its better when its gradual
        D'Argo so close to his Luxon ship, and yet so far away with his admirer. Aw, she was misunderstood.
        And very annoying. Even if they were the right mix up, it was clear D'Argo did like him/her/it/whatever.
        Rygel, now he was awesome in the end. Sneaky little Rygel.
        I think it speaks to who Rygel is. His diplomacy skills
        I know I have premiere too but haven't taken the time to learn it. Seems way more complicated. :s
        And we know you can't do complicated.
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          You seem disappointed
          No, I just seem to remember I liked the beginning of season 1 a lot more when I first watched it, or the second time even. I've been thinking how slow and quite boring those few first episodes are in comparison to the later seasons.

Just a general remark on my part.

...at the Hall of Justice, Wonder Falcon and SuperJel

Isn't that more of a costume error? Its not like the googles make a difference in the story
          If it changes between frames it's continuity. And costume error too.

I was confused at first until you explained Belgium law. I kind of like that, Makes us wish we did that so I could pass them quickly
          Hence why explained it. In France it's a big red A on a white background and they have to drive around with it for 2 years after they've gotten their license. Belgians loose the L the moment they get their license (though most will leave it hanging for a little while longer).
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

@jel....ok so now you've got FH in your corner and I've got Blue in mine. We'll just chalk it up to say ok ok they are noticing each other..it's frantic friendship and they just kiss and make out cuz they think they are gonna die....right.... *wink wink nudge nudge* means nothing...absolutely nothing. I don't see any shippery thing going on there.

Comment

It took me forever to watch this episode with my Internet troubles, but the show must go on.
              Rhapsody in Blue

I remember the first time I watched this episode. I remember the first time I was confused on what is going on. I'm still little confused to be honest. Some things like the darkness in Zhaan I think are left vague to be explored later but never were, because you veterans know why. It seems like Zhaan episodes also become John episodes. He is largely used as a plot device to explore Zhaan. We use him to show why Zhaan was imprisoned on Moya. I think it is interesting that Zhaan was the only one justly imprisoned for her crime. Even if the rationale was for the right reasons, she did commit murder. Which brings us to the bulk of the episode. Its not only aiming to explain how Zhaan came to the darkness but Delvian's mental abilities overall. As much as I love this episode I think one problem is that the darkness is never explained. Its never explained how Zhaan was kept from going insane like the others. I think they vaguely said it was because Zhaan didn't seek it and only used it for moral reasons and the crazy Delivian (Her names escapes me) sought the evil. I may be grasping at straws in this manner. It just seems we could have addressed that better. Besides that quip I love this episode in how it explores Zhaan's past and shows us what she has done. I love it explores the Delvian mental abilities and how they draw a line of control in developing those abilities so they don't go insane. I mentioned earlier how this is also a John episode. They seemed to use fooling the minds plot device to give D'Argo, Aeryn, and Rygel something to do as they were needed something to do while Zhaan and John were on the planet since they can't contribute to the episode. The mind aspect was also about John as they show his mind being tampered with his true love (Take that SQ). This cliché has been done in science fiction. Normally we see the hero conquer the mental barrier and break down the façade. What is interesting is that John does not realize its fake. Its the Delvian's conscience that gets the better of her and she drops the façade. That's different and if I am being honest I'm not sure if I like it or not. That brings me to the climax. As always, its up to John to save the day. Its him he makes Zhaan see the goodness and purity. The problem with this is that it is not really clear what it does to bring Zhaan out of her sanity. How is it he (or Zhaan ) the first time able to bring the darkness at bay? While I do like this episode the plot progression could have been done better
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Watched both episodes yesterday, but will, for now, only comment on Rhapsody in Blue.

It's a Zhaan-centric episode, though like Jelgate said, much is left unspoken or isn't touched upon.

I'm with Jelgate's assesment, so I'll just add the things I really liked about this episode.

The squidlike cucumbers John is fishing out of the water, with his pants rolled up. That sight made me giggle.

Aeryn is wearing his underwear and asking him why he thinks they're his and he says they say Calvin, to which she logically replies "Ah, not yours then."
                They all have the same sex-dream, except who knows what Aeryn was dreaming about.

Rygel convinced he's but the size of a hand and Pilot trying to explain to all of them that they are behaving strangely. Also, D'Argo acted more like he was looking for his pet than his son.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Rhapsody in Blue

I agree with the assessments by jel and FH so far. The underwear bit like FH mentioned...another fun bit and makes me like this show so much cuz it seems like something that is real and could really go on...on board a ship.

As for the Zhaan bits in this episode ....well there were alot of them And I did like how they showed us her crime and it did give John a chance to commune with her and that built a closer bond between them. What bugs me about the ep is how cliche it was in that she was horribly affected with the red eyes and that evilness was brewing and then magically by the end of the episode we have a miraculous turn around. I really hate when shows do this....reminds me of Star Trek TOS when they are able to pull everything out of the fire at the 11th hour no matter how bad or desperate things seem. I would have rathered it this arc had continued on a bit more to really see how she recovered from that evil. And I'm with jel I actually had to rewind and watch it a few times because I had a hard time following...yeah yeah...get your jabs in now jel it's so hard for my pea brain to keep up
                  I never really understood the whole twisted tree/root thing and was that just a visual reference for how twisted they were becoming and using that to draw evil power? I really think this ep was sorta thrown together it had the hippie twisted feel, like the writers said ...ah just throw some crazy stuff together make it all blue and gold and we're good.

As for John's previous love..I never bought it. I really actually disliked his dream in the beginning which was the real dream BTW in which he was about to propose to her but because she was taking a job or rather a fellowship or whatever that was going to take her away from him, he got all pouty and hid the ring under the bed and decided to not propose to her? Really John? you are that fickle with your love that if you cannot have the girl stay with you...you don't want her? That really struck me as being so out of character for him that he would not be that selfish. I mean honestly if you truly love someone you will propose and then try to make it work somehow. That really rang hollow to me.

So take that jel

AS for all the other bits I enjoyed seeing everyone have the mind frell going on....Rygel's was hilarious and FH is right...D was calling a "dog" ...... Jothee....come here boy.

Comment

Jeremiah Crichton

I only had time to watch one this week so went for Jeremiah Crichton over Rhapsody in Blue

…yeah… that was a mistake.

About the episode, there’s not much to say really other than it's bad. I got bored whilst watching so started reading about the Jeremiah Johnston film along the theory that there were vital references and in-jokes that I was missing (spoiler: there wasn’t).

But the real life person Jerimiah Johnson/Crichton is based on is much more interesting than the episode! Liver-Eating Johnson’, I kid you not. Slaughtered and ate 300 people.

So if D’Argo and Rygel hadn’t come and rescued John… in a few years he’d have married Lishala, Rokan would have killed her… then Crichton would have gone mental, resorted to cannibalism and eaten the tribe.

Hell yeah! Liver-Eating Crichton. Now there’s an episode I’d watch.

From an editing pov (and let’s be honest from a pretty much anything pov) – skip this episode. Unless you are really into beards. For the record I got two clips from the whole thing. And both were in the first five minutes.

The premise itself isn’t bad; I kind of like the ‘castaway has to survive/goes native’ trope. But Farscape is kind of that already you know? Just he’s in the uncharted territories rather than an island or the American frontier wilderness.

And the device used to get him there (Crichton throwing a hissy fit and moronically going for a drive in deep space) is out of character.

Still, it’s oddly reassuring that a group of people (with presumably similar resources, knowledge and circumstances) can produce such bad TV one week and then make (my own personal favourite episode) ‘Human Reaction’ the next...

I actually have a question relating to the religious themes of this episode. In the context of the whole series: do you all think that Crichton believes in God?

Normally I would say it doesn’t matter for a character, but he’s all alone and his reactions are meant to be representing humanity. If he believed someone was ‘watching’ or accompanying him, I think it would affect his viewpoint and actions.

Originally posted by jel
                    Before I start replying to everyone's comments I just want to explain I might be behind the next few days. I am having Internet issues at the moment. I can still get online but it cuts off all the time and when it does work it is quite slow.
                    I always personify your posts to your Scorpius avatar. This now has a beard and is sat somewhere eating crab, waiting for an internet connection to kick back in.
                    Last edited by Bluemeany; 19 June 2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Jeremiah Crichton

Ouch Blue ....now don't hold back...tell us how you really feel!

Yeah I think this is one of the weakest eps in s1 IMO. It gives me the Star Trek TOS vibe...the one ep when Kirk is left on the planet for I think months or a year or something and actually forms a long term relationship with a woman....yeah surprising a know

This beard of John's is obviously fake so I didn't even like the beard. The other thing that sort of bugged me is the science aspect of it.....now I'll admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the chest but here we have the same amount of time passing on the planet as we do for the Moya Crew in space basically 3 months. It would've been cooler if John had been there alot longer, which he should've been there for years to their months....but I was able to dismiss that ...anyway... it did actually have some merits although they were few. We get to see John with his hissy fit. I don't necessarily call this out of character Blue, but I would say it was just silly and not necessary. It seems to be that John has had his fill of being away from home and was filled up to his eye balls with alien tech and alien bs. I think this ep was all about John's sort of personal crisis if you will. I think it was good that Moya Starburst away and John thought he was left there. I think it sort of scared him....(It's like what parents hope happen to their kids (in the safest way possible of course) when their kids make a stupid choice and they have to let the consequences of that stupid choice ride out and they hope they learn from those consequences) John will probably never do that again.

This ep also gives the opportunity for the rest of the crew to show their loyalty to John by searching for him so relentlessly to the point they were wasting resources and possibly putting their own lives at risk. I think that is probably on of the only redeeming qualities about this ep. Well that and we do get to see Crichton with no shirt

As for Blue's question if John believes in God... IDK I think he's this southern baptist sort of fellow that probably does believe in God. One thing he said to these people in the ep did bother me though he basically was dismissing their religion and telling them it was wrong. I have an issue with that. Maybe it's because I am a Doctor Who fan and that is a giant No No that you don't go around telling people what to believe or discounting their religion. So while I think the writers tried hard not to expose whether John was religious or believed in God I think he did. There are several references to God in the series and I think he acknowledges "God" in some form or another in the series but I think they keep it pretty abstract. As for John worried about "someone watching" I think that is why they did the recorder thing at first where he was talking to his Dad....John subconsciously still wonders what his Dad will think and he holds onto that notion more (the earthly Father over the Heavenly One). But you know that would be an interesting theme to sort of watch for in this re-watch especially with Human Reaction coming up.

Comment

Jermiah Cricheton

I am going against the consensus because I am weird like that. This episode has the making of a Star Trek episode of the space travelers go to an primitive world. Instead of not interfering the Farscapers (That's my copyrighted word) do the exact opposite and telling them their ways are wrong. I like that crazyiness and the weirdness. I like of seeing Rygel on a planet for once. Seeing him out here is something different. I may be getting ahead of myself. I think this is John breaking point. He can only take the insults so far about his uselessness. Rather convenient he blew off steam at the worse time. That brings us to the planet. It feels like a primitive paradise. Yes the beard is fake but I really don't frellin care. I like the isolation part because it gives us some time to observe this strange culture that John is part of now. What I like is how it has mixtures of several earth cultures. I personally see a lot of Native American and Buddhism in the culture. But why is it always the witch who causes problems? What gets me is when D'Argo and Rygel come the planet. Its an interesting concept to leave the women on the ship. Yes SQ, I am ready for your sex jokes. I also think its paints a difference of opinion of how things have changed. Of how much D'Argo and Aeryn wanted to keep looking for John especially in D'Argo's case since in a few episode ago he was okay with abandoning John. Show the Blood episode changed him around. I thought John's anger was understandable but he got over too quickly. Yes he realizes Moya had no choice but I think most people would be bitter. Notice how Rygel just sleeps at John's camp. I think I love Rygel most in the episode. The aliens were going to kill D'Argo for a crime he did not commit until Rygel appears and everyone thinks he is a god. I find it hilarious watching him enjoy this power and reading the holy text and only confessing what he was when Rygel was backed into a corner. I will say I liked how he felt remorse for the things the Hynerians did to this people. Reminds me of how the Brits abandoned the 13 colonies until they wanted to tax them after the French and Indian War. Read a history book people. I thought the ending was far fetched. First we are to believe they are abandoned but then the answer to the energy drain is written into religious text. It seems to counterdict the reasons the aliens were abandon. I'm not really sure what was the point of having Zhaan and Aeryn on Moya. They were crucial in showing where the power draining device was at. But it seemed they served no purpose but the plot. I did like showing them working together with science. It shows how far Aeryn has come along and more importantly how she is meshing with the team. As FH said, next week we get Chiana. A rather unique character for television.
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Watched both episodes yesterday, but will, for now, only comment on Rhapsody in Blue.

It's a Zhaan-centric episode, though like Jelgate said, much is left unspoken or isn't touched upon.
                          I have often wondered they left it vague to explore more later but (S3 spoilers)
                          Spoiler:
                          but had to abandon it because they had to kill the Zhaan character

I'm with Jelgate's assesment, so I'll just add the things I really liked about this episode.
                          The squidlike cucumbers John is fishing out of the water, with his pants rolled up. That sight made me giggle.
                          I can't help if I am so smart
                          I found myself agreeing with John the peace and tranquility deserves a response. Well until we find out they are maniacs.
                          Aeryn is wearing his underwear and asking him why he thinks they're his and he says they say Calvin, to which she logically replies "Ah, not yours then."
                          They all have the same sex-dream, except who knows what Aeryn was dreaming about.
                          I wonder if that is suppose to be a nod to something or just a random comment to the Moya's crew's sleeping garments

Its not about sex. I think SQ is rubbing off on you.All the people they were dreaming about was about people they deeply love to give the people happiness. Given what we know of Peacekeepers indoctineration, love is deeply forbidden. If memory serves this is explained in S3, So by that merit, its possible Aeryn doesn't have someone she loved
                          Rygel convinced he's but the size of a hand and Pilot trying to explain to all of them that they are behaving strangely. Also, D'Argo acted more like he was looking for his pet than his son.
                          Their is a line where Rygel say D'Argo almost stepped on him and Pilot says you were never that small
                          Rhapsody in Blue

I agree with the assessments by jel and FH so far. The underwear bit like FH mentioned...another fun bit and makes me like this show so much cuz it seems like something that is real and could really go on...on board a ship.
                          I can just see Aeryn running around stealing people's underwear I think their is a scene of a communal laundry room in a later season if we are being serious. Or is this another of your shipping theories?
                          As for the Zhaan bits in this episode ....well there were alot of them And I did like how they showed us her crime and it did give John a chance to commune with her and that built a closer bond between them.
                          I like how Zhaan is truly guilty for the crime of murder. But it may be justified as her lover sold the people to the Peacekeepers. I say may because the justification of murder is a never-ending moral debate. One I don't care to get into in this thread
                          What bugs me about the ep is how cliche it was in that she was horribly affected with the red eyes and that evilness was brewing and then magically by the end of the episode we have a miraculous turn around. I really hate when shows do this....reminds me of Star Trek TOS when they are able to pull everything out of the fire at the 11th hour no matter how bad or desperate things seem. I would have rathered it this arc had continued on a bit more to really see how she recovered from that evil.
                          It doesn't bother me that much since we couldn't have Zhaan insane for later episodes. That's all the red eyes mean. Its no different than how the good guys always find a solution. Its not like it ended. We see Zhaan battle with this problem until the S2 premiere.
                          And I'm with jel I actually had to rewind and watch it a few times because I had a hard time following...yeah yeah...get your jabs in now jel it's so hard for my pea brain to keep up
                          I wouldn't do that as I had the same problem with the episode even if I love the episode
                          I never really understood the whole twisted tree/root thing and was that just a visual reference for how twisted they were becoming and using that to draw evil power? I really think this ep was sorta thrown together it had the hippie twisted feel, like the writers said ...ah just throw some crazy stuff together make it all blue and gold and we're good.
                          Its sacred to them. I think it represents how we all connected. A central aspect of their beliefs.
                          As for John's previous love..I never bought it. I really actually disliked his dream in the beginning which was the real dream BTW in which he was about to propose to her but because she was taking a job or rather a fellowship or whatever that was going to take her away from him, he got all pouty and hid the ring under the bed and decided to not propose to her? Really John? you are that fickle with your love that if you cannot have the girl stay with you...you don't want her? That really struck me as being so out of character for him that he would not be that selfish. I mean honestly if you truly love someone you will propose and then try to make it work somehow. That really rang hollow to me.
                          You are stuck in shipper mode. Anyone who isn't Aeryn is the enemy. I have seen that a lot of times in fandom. I think John saw it as the old dilemma where a woman has to choose between her dream or love. Its not that she didn't love him but many women (and men) will put a dream job over love. John didn't want to force her to make such a choice that was doomed to end in sadness. Remember the cliché that long distance never works
                          So take that jel

AS for all the other bits I enjoyed seeing everyone have the mind frell going on....Rygel's was hilarious and FH is right...D was calling a "dog" ...... Jothee....come here boy.
                          Is it really that uncommon for those little kids who run all over the place never stopping? I don't think so but you are the parent SQ. You tell me
                          Originally posted by Bluemeany View Post
                          Jeremiah Crichton

I only had time to watch one this week so went for Jeremiah Crichton over Rhapsody in Blue

…yeah… that was a mistake.
                          That is stupid. Don't skip episodes because you are busy on a weekend. I can't speak for the others but I will read and reply to your comments no matter what day it is. We all make adjustments to our life. SQ was early last week because of her party. FH was later last week for some reason. Next week I am posting early because I am going away for the 4th of July holiday. I don't want you skipping good episodes just because you are busy. All we ask is you don't go crazy ahead
                          About the episode, there’s not much to say really other than it's bad. I got bored whilst watching so started reading about the Jeremiah Johnston film along the theory that there were vital references and in-jokes that I was missing (spoiler: there wasn’t).

But the real life person Jerimiah Johnson/Crichton is based on is much more interesting than the episode! Liver-Eating Johnson’, I kid you not. Slaughtered and ate 300 people.
                          Maybe its a reference to the belief system John destroyed. Many people consider religion their life
                          So if D’Argo and Rygel hadn’t come and rescued John… in a few years he’d have married Lishala, Rokan would have killed her… then Crichton would have gone mental, resorted to cannibalism and eaten the tribe.

Hell yeah! Liver-Eating Crichton. Now there’s an episode I’d watch.
                          Kind of reminds me of the Eat Me episode. That one creeps me out. You do see John go kind of mental in this episode I would argue with the stress of Moya and the feelings of abandonment
                          From an editing pov (and let’s be honest from a pretty much anything pov) – skip this episode. Unless you are really into beards. For the record I got two clips from the whole thing. And both were in the first five minutes.
                          Is that because its mostly on the planet and little physical action?
                          The premise itself isn’t bad; I kind of like the ‘castaway has to survive/goes native’ trope. But Farscape is kind of that already you know? Just he’s in the uncharted territories rather than an island or the American frontier wilderness.
                          I think you are ignoring the religion and spiritual aspect. The episode is about that and how such a primitive society would interact with John
                          And the device used to get him there (Crichton throwing a hissy fit and moronically going for a drive in deep space) is out of character.
                          I disagree. Its quite common for us all to have a breaking point with stress and anxiety. His new life and everything he has to learn can be quite stressful.
                          Still, it’s oddly reassuring that a group of people (with presumably similar resources, knowledge and circumstances) can produce such bad TV one week and then make (my own personal favourite episode) ‘Human Reaction’ the next...
                          Dukura Returns is next
                          I actually have a question relating to the religious themes of this episode. In the context of the whole series: do you all think that Crichton believes in God?
                          I think John is agnostic personally, He talks about the chaos fighting on Earth has caused but the explorer in him is open considering the impossible he has seen.
                          Normally I would say it doesn’t matter for a character, but he’s all alone and his reactions are meant to be representing humanity. If he believed someone was ‘watching’ or accompanying him, I think it would affect his viewpoint and actions.
                          Why should it? People who have a religion don't stop believing in free will
                          I always personify your posts to your Scorpius avatar. This now has a beard and is sat somewhere eating crab, waiting for an internet connection to kick back in.
                          I'm still waiting. It took me 2 hours to watch each episode. That and Father's Day is why my Jermiah Cricheton is a day behind
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Part 2
                            Jeremiah Crichton

Ouch Blue ....now don't hold back...tell us how you really feel!

Yeah I think this is one of the weakest eps in s1 IMO. It gives me the Star Trek TOS vibe...the one ep when Kirk is left on the planet for I think months or a year or something and actually forms a long term relationship with a woman....yeah surprising a know
                            I think you described every TOS episode. I don't mind it. It has its faults but I liked how they explored a spiritual society.
                            This beard of John's is obviously fake so I didn't even like the beard.
                            That doesn't bother me as most things are fake in TV. Their is a behind the scenes video on my Stargate DVDs that shows all the female Goa'uld have these breast implants when filming. Fakeness is part of TV.
                            The other thing that sort of bugged me is the science aspect of it.....now I'll admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the chest but here we have the same amount of time passing on the planet as we do for the Moya Crew in space basically 3 months. It would've been cooler if John had been there alot longer, which he should've been there for years to their months....but I was able to dismiss that ...anyway...
                            I don't see how the amount of time would have mattered. Months or years won't change John's feelings of abandonment.

it did actually have some merits although they were few. We get to see John with his hissy fit. I don't necessarily call this out of character Blue, but I would say it was just silly and not necessary. It seems to be that John has had his fill of being away from home and was filled up to his eye balls with alien tech and alien bs.-
                            I would add it was a response to the stress and anxiety. We all have a point where we will burst. Their is a lot of stress from what John has to learn and how he is constantly mocked
                            I think this ep was all about John's sort of personal crisis if you will. I think it was good that Moya Starburst away and John thought he was left there. I think it sort of scared him....(It's like what parents hope happen to their kids (in the safest way possible of course) when their kids make a stupid choice and they have to let the consequences of that stupid choice ride out and they hope they learn from those consequences) John will probably never do that again.
                            Not so much scared. He feels abandoned and alone from everyone he cares about
                            This ep also gives the opportunity for the rest of the crew to show their loyalty to John by searching for him so relentlessly to the point they were wasting resources and possibly putting their own lives at risk. I think that is probably on of the only redeeming qualities about this ep. Well that and we do get to see Crichton with no shirt
                            Fair is fair. Where is my Aeryn with no shirt? I think it points to show how much they have grown to care about John. Especially D'Argo
                            As for Blue's question if John believes in God... IDK I think he's this southern baptist sort of fellow that probably does believe in God. One thing he said to these people in the ep did bother me though he basically was dismissing their religion and telling them it was wrong.
                            That's why I think he is agnostic.
                            I have an issue with that. Maybe it's because I am a Doctor Who fan and that is a giant No No that you don't go around telling people what to believe or discounting their religion. So while I think the writers tried hard not to expose whether John was religious or believed in God I think he did. There are several references to God in the series and I think he acknowledges "God" in some form or another in the series but I think they keep it pretty abstract. As for John worried about "someone watching" I think that is why they did the recorder thing at first where he was talking to his Dad....John subconsciously still wonders what his Dad will think and he holds onto that notion more (the earthly Father over the Heavenly One). But you know that would be an interesting theme to sort of watch for in this re-watch especially with Human Reaction coming up.
                            I thought the recorder was a defensive mechanism to keep his sanity and hold on to the belief he could return to Earth
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

@Jel.. I would agree with you that at this point John does come off as more agnostic....questioning if there is a God and not sure.

Comment

Jermiah Cricheton

I am going against the consensus because I am weird like that. This episode has the making of a Star Trek episode of the space travelers go to an primitive world. Instead of not interfering the Farscapers (That's my copyrighted word) do the exact opposite and telling them their ways are wrong. I like that crazyiness and the weirdness. I like of seeing Rygel on a planet for once. Seeing him out here is something different. I may be getting ahead of myself. I think this is John breaking point. He can only take the insults so far about his uselessness. Rather convenient he blew off steam at the worse time. That brings us to the planet. It feels like a primitive paradise. Yes the beard is fake but I really don't frellin care. I like the isolation part because it gives us some time to observe this strange culture that John is part of now. What I like is how it has mixtures of several earth cultures. I personally see a lot of Native American and Buddhism in the culture. But why is it always the witch who causes problems? What gets me is when D'Argo and Rygel come the planet.
                                I didn't want you to think I didn't like the episode at all. I thought it was a nice "Gilligan's Island" castaway type ep that gave us a unique perspective for a space show. I enjoyed the colors (in general I loved the Farscape sets and lighting and colors. I think that is one area they really put alot of thought into their sets and designs...yes jel I'm talking about ART!! Deal

Its an interesting concept to leave the women on the ship. Yes SQ, I am ready for your sex jokes. I also think its paints a difference of opinion of how things have changed. Of how much D'Argo and Aeryn wanted to keep looking for John especially in D'Argo's case since in a few episode ago he was okay with abandoning John. Show the Blood episode changed him around. I thought John's anger was understandable but he got over too quickly. Yes he realizes Moya had no choice but I think most people would be bitter. Notice how Rygel just sleeps at John's camp. I think I love Rygel most in the episode. The aliens were going to kill D'Argo for a crime he did not commit until Rygel appears and everyone thinks he is a god. I find it hilarious watching him enjoy this power and reading the holy text and only confessing what he was when Rygel was backed into a corner. I will say I liked how he felt remorse for the things the Hynerians did to this people. Reminds me of how the Brits abandoned the 13 colonies until they wanted to tax them after the French and Indian War. Read a history book people.
                                What sex jokes? I'm ready lay them on me I think they left the ladies on the ship because I don't think it would've been wise for everyone to leave Moya. Aeryn said they already risked one transport shuttle pod or whatever they call it...and that it wasn't a good idea to risk another one. So it made logical sense to not have them traipse down there as well. I did like the creative way Aeryn crafted that projectile and sent John a map...yes I used the word CREATIVE I also liked how Aeryn said she did all she could but basically that she needed John's expertise to finish which would've been nice for John to know that for once Aeryn didn't think he was useless. You make a good point in mentioning how this really did show just how much our characters have changed and have grown fond of John. I liked that about the ep too.
                                History book? Nah... A. I don't read and B. I don't read history books
                                I thought the ending was far fetched. First we are to believe they are abandoned but then the answer to the energy drain is written into religious text. It seems to counterdict the reasons the aliens were abandon. I'm not really sure what was the point of having Zhaan and Aeryn on Moya. They were crucial in showing where the power draining device was at. But it seemed they served no purpose but the plot. I did like showing them working together with science. It shows how far Aeryn has come along and more importantly how she is meshing with the team. As FH said, next week we get Chiana. A rather unique character for television.
                                Can't wait for Chiana...and I didn't think it took this long before she showed up in the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X