No announcement yet.

Prepare for Starburst: A Farscape Rewatch Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will chime in on nerve sometimes my sister will quote this to me Stark: This is my side! THAT'S your side! This is MY side! You STAY on your side! MY SIDE! YOUR SIDE! MY SIDE! YOUR SIDE! MY SIDE! YOUR SIDE! If you guys need to find transcipts for your in depth discussions here you go http://transcripts.terrafirmascapers.com
    sigpic
    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Thanks! I was a member of terrafirmascapers long time ago too. Wow time flies then you hit a windshield.
      Originally posted by jelgate
      This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        And where is the Scorpy love?
        Much like my first few viewings, Scorpy has to grow on me. I do not not like him, but he takes some getting used to. I think I like him better in later seasons, than I do in his first few episodes.

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
        ...sometimes my sister will quote this to me Stark: This is my side! THAT'S your side! This is MY side! You STAY on your side! MY SIDE! YOUR SIDE! MY SIDE! YOUR SIDE! MY SIDE! YOUR SIDE!
        LOL - same here.

Hidden Memory

Scorpius continues to pick John's brain about wormhole technologies, discovering Crais has a beef to pick with Johnny-boy, luring him to the base.
        Crais looks the part of "I have gone off the rails for revenge!" and Scorpius is a cunning leader.

Also, I haven't said it in my previous post since I forgot, but Peacekeeper Barbie is scary.

So, Aeryn finally learns what happened to John and decides to do something stupid according to D'Argo who then feels left out and does something stupid too -- fair is fair. Zhaan just loves stupid cause she too follows in Aeryn's footsteps.

Rygel and Chiana remain on Moya which will lead to the most HIGH-larious moments of all times: the both of them stuck in that tube, with a little Titanic-reference thrown in for comic effect.

End of workday... will be back later with the remainder of my review...
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Later that same week...

I have to admit the details are becoming fuzzy, so bear with me...

Gelina tampers with the Aurora chair, and some tampering it was. Girl knows her tech, so when John thinks about the kiss, they see an altered version of what never happened (aside from the kiss) and Crais is toast. How easily his men turned on him -- PK loyalty at his finest.

In the meantime, Aeryn, D'Argo and Zhaan have made it down to the base, and are about to infiltrate, well Aeryn is. D'Argo and Zhaan stand out too much so they remain topside, preparing a set of explosive traps in case they need them (and when don't they need them ).

Aeryn finds Gelina, finds a gullible PK idiot, rescues John and Stark.

Scorpius of course does not want to let his priced possession go, so a manhunt ensues with PK Barbie in the lead. Lots of running is done, and hiding. In the meantime, Gelina realizes that John's feelings for her have altered and she wants to know about Aeryn. Ha, awkward moment there when they're hiding...

Crais in the meantime has been through the wringer -- John really held out longer if you ask me. Though he used his sarcasm to counter the chair as best as possible.

Aeryn finds Crais when she's looking for a high-level tag, and lets him enjoy the Aurora chair to the fullest.

In the meantime, on board Moya, Rygel and Chiana have been bombarded to midwives and are dealing with a difficult birth. The kid is stuck cause apparently the kid's DNA has been altered to become a PK instrument of war, a sleek dark red monster of war.

Back to the base, where they've made it top side and being shot at. Stark and John are just stark-raving mad, firing at will.
          Scorpius catches up with John - Gelina lacks the speed to shoot first and gets shot. Darn... And she dies...

The end.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Much like my first few viewings, Scorpy has to grow on me. I do not not like him, but he takes some getting used to. I think I like him better in later seasons, than I do in his first few episodes.
            I liked him from the beginning. I could tell from the start he was going to be a more worthy adversary than Crais that was going to challenge our heroes and had a uniqueness that was different from any other science fiction villian. To be fair the first time I watched Farscape, I had SQ teasing me along about the episodes.

LOL - same here.
            I use a lot of Nooranti words but we'll get to that in S4
            Hidden Memory

Scorpius continues to pick John's brain about wormhole technologies, discovering Crais has a beef to pick with Johnny-boy, luring him to the base.
            Crais looks the part of "I have gone off the rails for revenge!" and Scorpius is a cunning leader.
            I think that is a good point. Crais was and always is driven by emotion. Their is a few times we see Scorpy's emotions but overall he is a calm person who lets reason dictate his actions
            Also, I haven't said it in my previous post since I forgot, but Peacekeeper Barbie is scary.
            Its always bugged me that we never find out what happened to her. I was given the impression she was just below Scorpy on the chain of command and then she disappears after this episode
            So, Aeryn finally learns what happened to John and decides to do something stupid according to D'Argo who then feels left out and does something stupid too -- fair is fair. Zhaan just loves stupid cause she too follows in Aeryn's footsteps.
            Its a cliché but we all do stupid things for friends. Its the same way John convinced the others to risk their lives to save Aeryn.
            Rygel and Chiana remain on Moya which will lead to the most HIGH-larious moments of all times: the both of them stuck in that tube, with a little Titanic-reference thrown in for comic effect.
            [/QUOTE]I think Chiana's reactions are the best. First being locked into a small tube with Rygel and then inhaling some helium. Those two always make a good comedy duo
            End of workday... will be back later with the remainder of my review...
            Shouldn't you be working at work? I always do my reviewing at home
            Later that same week...

I have to admit the details are becoming fuzzy, so bear with me...
            Are we back ?

Let me just finish this gyro. I do love lamb. Almost as much as I love bacon and Farscape. But which one do I love more?
            Gelina tampers with the Aurora chair, and some tampering it was. Girl knows her tech, so when John thinks about the kiss, they see an altered version of what never happened (aside from the kiss) and Crais is toast. How easily his men turned on him -- PK loyalty at his finest.
            Isn't it a little convenient? You would think after someone helped Chiana escape in the previous episode the base would have a little more scrutiny with their technology. As for Crais, I think they saw that he was a dead man. Kind of reminds me of those Africian drug lords and how often alligencies shift. Maybe as we learn later on, the Sebeccean society isn't as stable as the Peacekeepers would like us to believe.
            In the meantime, Aeryn, D'Argo and Zhaan have made it down to the base, and are about to infiltrate, well Aeryn is. D'Argo and Zhaan stand out too much so they remain topside, preparing a set of explosive traps in case they need them (and when don't they need them ).
            I thought the explosives were useful. It gave an element of surprise that fooled the Peacekeepers at the episode's climax.
            Aeryn finds Gelina, finds a gullible PK idiot, rescues John and Stark.
            The gullible idiot. I get the impression from previous episodes that the other Peackeepers are afraid of the actual soldiers and are looked down on. I kind of remember from PK Tech Girl where Aeryn says Gilina is only a tech like she doesn't matter
            Scorpius of course does not want to let his priced possession go, so a manhunt ensues with PK Barbie in the lead. Lots of running is done, and hiding. In the meantime, Gelina realizes that John's feelings for her have altered and she wants to know about Aeryn. Ha, awkward moment there when they're hiding...
            Not to mention inappropriate. If I have an army chasing me where death is possible, the last thing on my mind is does anyone love me?
            Crais in the meantime has been through the wringer -- John really held out longer if you ask me. Though he used his sarcasm to counter the chair as best as possible.
            How much is that for our own frame? The audience cares more about the hero than the villian. Their are less scenes for him compared to John.
            Aeryn finds Crais when she's looking for a high-level tag, and lets him enjoy the Aurora chair to the fullest.
            I love that scene since it shows a turn around for Aeryn and her Peacekeeper life
            In the meantime, on board Moya, Rygel and Chiana have been bombarded to midwives and are dealing with a difficult birth. The kid is stuck cause apparently the kid's DNA has been altered to become a PK instrument of war, a sleek dark red monster of war.
            I love Rygel's line about his experience (or lack of)when dealing with his own offspring. I think its really Chiana who save the day on getting the baby out of Moya.
            Back to the base, where they've made it top side and being shot at. Stark and John are just stark-raving mad, firing at will.
            Scorpius catches up with John - Gelina lacks the speed to shoot first and gets shot. Darn... And she dies...
            Gilina hesitated because she was afraid of hurting John which caused Scorpy to kill her. Its the whole point of her character. She is a tragic character who let her feelings of love get in the way that it literally killed her
            The end.
            For now...Dun Dun Dun
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Bone to Be Wild

I don't know if I am the only one but the main story seems out of place. The next episode is the season finale and it seems we are sidestepping to another one of planet mystery episodes. Anywhere else this episode would have made perfect sense. It just seems weird with Crais and Scorpy hunting us so close their would be more important things to do. Its not that I dislike the episode, I just think its strange to have it here when the finale is next. That gripe out of the way, I actually quite like the episode. Its no surprise that Zhaan is my favorite character. I think you all realize that by now. I was quite interested in the fact she is actually a plant. Its just something new and unique that we have not seen in science fiction before. I was curious if she was a plant, then why does she still have to eat? Their are so many things to explore that we did not. I have often said I thought the show focused on John and Aeryn too much (Laugh it up SQ)and feel story explorations like plant ZHaan (and others) are abandoned to focus on those two love. Bur I guess I am rambling since that is not part of the episode. The main story is probably my least favorite. If anything it speaks to how powerful the substories are. I really hate going along with SQ's idea that every episode has a theme but this one does. Appearances are deceiving. Its all about faking the others. The guy who looks like a monster is actually not a bad person and the little girl (kind of) is actually a monster who eats bones. I like the part of seeing him bond with ZHaan and then he betrays her by minituarizing Zhaan because she is a plant. Again, appearances are deceiving. One thing that bugged me about the argument Zhaan and John had about plants and animals is flawed. John mentions sentience. None of the plants are sentient so I have a hard time supporting her argument. Before we go on to the next story, I just want to say I crack up on D'Argo's allergy problem. "Let me tell you ZHaan whats going in my nose..." We'll stop their so I don't gross FH out. She can be squeamish sometimes. The other two stories are more directed towards the finale. Speaking of which I see we got the first appearance of Mr. Yes Man This story is important because it shows the further detoration of Crais and Scorpious taking his ship. Notice the similiarity between the first and final scenes. The first one has Crais in his authority ordering Mr. Yes Man while the last one has Crais telling him to do what Scorpy wants. Its shows how defeated Crais is. I just the buildup in how every scene is how Scorpy picks at Crais and show him what a failure Crais is leading up to their fight. Notice the difference in fighting. Crais is blinded by rage and Scorpy just takes it until he tries to show off his Scarran strength. I know that is a little spoily but I don't give a frell. Finally, the last story is about baby Moya. I'm not an aesthetic person. I leave that kind of analysis to SQ and blue as its more of their area, but I loved the luck of the command. The centeralized look of the ship is great to see. You have Aeryn in the middle surrounded by all these button. It gets highly technobabble but I think the whole point is how Aeryn gets the ship to trust her and it shows us the personality it has because its different. Sometimes we forget these Leviathians are their own characters. Finally, I will say the final scene with the bone lady and Scorpy is strange. We have the Peacekeepers take her in and then nothing happens. Wasn't she suppose to eat them all. I also like the shots of Moya in the asteroid field. Random I know but I forgot to mention it earlier
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Family Ties

I’ve watched Born to be Wild, but haven’t got around to typing up m’ thoughts yet. So, here we go, Family Ties first.

It isn’t so much an in-depth story, as it is a series of goodbye scenes. But it works really well.

There’s a trait of all the Farscape seasons that I love. They use the action-heavy, exploding big set pieces (that according to the Laws of TV should be the finales) as episodes 20 and 21. Then for actual last episode of each season they do a calmer, ‘aftermath’ story.

Die Me Dichotomy comes after the Liars, Guns and Money trilogy. Into the Lion’s Den 1 & 2 get the calmer Dog with Two Bones. The We’re so screwed episodes have Bad Timing. This episode follows, Nerve/Hidden Memory ( as Jel mentioned, Born to be wild is out of place).

From an editing pov: quite a few nice shots. Although as mentioned above, this is not really an action episode. When Crais arrives on Moya there’s a very cool tracking shot around the waiting crew. Crichton looks particularly badass for some reason (I think it’s his red costume against the mostly gold backdrop of the sets).

My favourite bit: the Chiana/John goodbye scene. It is so bittersweet, and the music actually made me cry. It’s a relationship, a possibility that will never happen.

As much as I’m on board with the whole John and Aeryn thing, I really want to see what Chiana/ Crichton would be like. What kind of people they would turn into in twenty, thirty, forty years’ time?

I think it upsets me because it really could work, if only John was twenty years younger or Chiana was twenty years older. But they’re at different points.

Crichton views her as a kid, and always will see and remember her like that. Even when Chiana is an old woman, that young version of her will still be with Crichton. Make’s me upset even more. Sorry… I’m a real sucker for ‘it can never even get started’ love stories. That and children/parents storylines are my kryptonite when it comes to crying at fiction.

I thought the parallel in Aeryn and Zahn’s outlook was kind of neat. They both acknowledge that they shouldn’t be alive. Aeryn never thought she would live this long. Zahn, says that since she killed, ‘every microt is a gift’.

Crichton’s choice of topic of conversation with Crais is great, so unexpected. He really needs to have a man-to-man conversation… and his only pseudo-human male option is the psychotic avenger who’s been trying to kill him. “I look at you and I get homesick” is a great line.

I don’t think I ever seen a portrayal of two blokes talking about how they need a sort of ‘brotherhood’ in any other TV show before. Women, yes: there are scenes about how they need feminine relationships in a masculine word… but not the other way around. It’s interesting.

Oh, and I also like the line of: “This is John Crichton: somewhere in the universe.”

Comment

The early bird catches the worm.
                  The second mouse gets the cheese.

Not waiting till the halfway point of the week to write my review -- besides thursday the 21st is Belgium's 4th of july and France's Bastille Day all rolled into one.

Bone To Be Wild

...and automatically I start singing "Born to be wiiiiiild..."...

Not a fan of the crew being broken up into their own little adventures, even if they fit into the larger story of the whole episode. It basically means less and/or more screentime for some and others.

Anyway...

Moya and Talin are hiding in an asteroid field, hiding from the full-command carrier captained by Crais Scorpius. The heating turned off, our crew is shivering the cold away when Pilot picks up a distress call from a nearby junk of rock.

"Help me, I'm being hunted by an insane alien monster..."

The monster in this case, turns out to be more tree and mushroom than humanoid. Quite possibly a distant relative of Groot (cfr. Guardians of the Galaxy). Or if any of you have ever seen Primeval: there's a fungus that looks about the same when it infects humans.

John, D'Argo and Zhaan decide to investigate, whle Pilot asks Aeryn to remain on board, and Chiana and Rygel are relegated to background characters.

And only now, I remember that something felt off the entire two episodes --> Where was Stark?

D'Argo has allergies and it's hilarious, especially when he starts explaining what's happening inside his nose and John stops him from talking about green mucos. Zhaan, on the other hand, is in heaven. When John finds out though that Zhaan is flora and he starts grinning when he says "oh so that's why you love the light so much." - busted!

Also -- "you're a vegetable?"

We learn that M'Lee is in fact the monster, and not the walking tree, but the tree isn't innocent either. Actually, in hindsight Tree-man is the bigger monster as his species committed genocide on all bone-life on the asteroid in order to have the jungle all to themselves. The plan backfired, and I can't help but feel some sympathy for M'Lee in her family (even if it's quite clear she cannibalized them for bones).

Tree-Man collects specimen but when he collects Zhaan, John puts a stop to it with the help of M'Lee. D'Argo offers up the command carrier as an all-you-can-eat-buffet and all I can think of is that M'Lee is going to eat herself into oblivion.

In the meantime, or at the same time, Crais is bing undermined by Scorpius left, right and center aboard the command carrier, pressured into finding Moya and her crew.

And aboard Moya, Chiana and Rygel are hanging about while Aeryn has a heart-to-heart with Pilot about Talin (not named yet but it's easier). I quite like the scenes with Aeryn on board Talin and how she assists in the bonding between Moya, Talin and herself.

Comment

Sorry guys. Or is it girls, since I just realized I'm the only male in the rewatch? I had watched the finale yesterday but never got around to reviewing. Its not like I was busy. I just got sidetracked with other things that before I realized it I was off to bed. So anyway.....

Family Ties
                    This will probably be a shorter review. I think I realize what its like to be in FH and blue's shoes. Its not short because I dislike the episode. Its actually opposite. I just felt it was the opposite. Speaking of blue, I think she makes a good point. A lot of the Farscape finales are light on the action. Although I would argue that the S4 finale is full of action. But that is neither here nor there. The hard part is their are so many little scenes. Rygel defects to the Peacekeepers and betrays us. I mean we should have seen this coming sooner. Rygel cares about himself so its no surprise he saw an opportunity for his advantage and took it to benefit. Its obvious this was primarily used a vehicle to bring Crais abroad Moya. How stupid could Rygel be? You have Villian Rule #1(Remember the laws FH?) in that the bad guy never honors his word. At this point we already knew what was going to happen with the Scorpy and Crais showdown, it seems Rygel was served as a point to bring Crais off his ship. Now the reason I say this is a short review, is that their are so many character moments to mention. John comes up with the great idea of lets make a kamakzie run towards the Peacekeepers to let Moya and Talyn escape. I think this is what blue was trying to point out. As the team is using part of Moya to combine with Zhaan's drugs to make something explode, their are these character scenes. Their is this mood, that what they are doing is crazy and a suicide mission, so everyone is saying goodbye and spilling their guts. Their are too many to list, and to be honest I probably forgot some of them. You have Zhaan and D'Argo reminisincing on how they got here. You have John and Chiana discussing how much she appreciates what the crew has done for her. You have Aeryn and Pilot discussing Talyn. My favorite is when John is able to convince Rygel that doing the right thing is when its not easy. Everything goes on until Crais shows up and tells everyone their plan will never work since the Command Carrier will detect the bomb before it can ram into the bridge. I like the alternate plan because it shows Scorpy's weakness. I stand by last week on how I think Scorpy his more intelligent, but he is also obsessive. So my favorite part was watching them use John as bait to tricking Scorpy of not following the bomb that was used to blow up his Gammak base. One thing bother me is why the frell was Crais allowed to roam free? Everythings goes to yotz because Crais was fascinated by Talyn and stole him for his own use. It doesn't seem wise to not have him locked up. in the first place. While I agreed with blue for the most part on not being action heavy, I remember this being a nail bitter to me. I was sad in watching John convince Moya to leave and then watching John's ring fly away while D'Argo loses consciousness. Its a good thing we start S2 next week as I don't think I want to wait
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Bluemeany View Post
                      Family Ties

I’ve watched Born to be Wild, but haven’t got around to typing up m’ thoughts yet. So, here we go, Family Ties first.
                      You better do Bone to be Wild or I will start singing and you don't want that
                      It isn’t so much an in-depth story, as it is a series of goodbye scenes. But it works really well.
                      I agreed with that sentiment and said as much in my review
                      There’s a trait of all the Farscape seasons that I love. They use the action-heavy, exploding big set pieces (that according to the Laws of TV should be the finales) as episodes 20 and 21. Then for actual last episode of each season they do a calmer, ‘aftermath’ story.
                      I kind half agree. I see what you saying but I find the action is usually heavy in the finale but maybe not as heavy as the previous episode. Dog with Two Bones being the exception. Their is quite a bit of action in this episode, but I do agree Nerve/The Hidden Memory had more
                      Die Me Dichotomy comes after the Liars, Guns and Money trilogy. Into the Lion’s Den 1 & 2 get the calmer Dog with Two Bones. The We’re so screwed episodes have Bad Timing. This episode follows, Nerve/Hidden Memory ( as Jel mentioned, Born to be wild is out of place).
                      Opps. I rambled on (I blame SQ) as I already covered this above
                      From an editing pov: quite a few nice shots. Although as mentioned above, this is not really an action episode. When Crais arrives on Moya there’s a very cool tracking shot around the waiting crew. Crichton looks particularly badass for some reason (I think it’s his red costume against the mostly gold backdrop of the sets).
                      I really love the shots of Moya in the asteroid field with all the blues. Maybe I am crazy since this is not my area of expertise
                      My favourite bit: the Chiana/John goodbye scene. It is so bittersweet, and the music actually made me cry. It’s a relationship, a possibility that will never happen.
                      Its a brother/kid sister relationship. I don't know how old Gigi and Ben are in real life but in Farscape they portray John as much older than Chiana.
                      As much as I’m on board with the whole John and Aeryn thing, I really want to see what Chiana/ Crichton would be like. What kind of people they would turn into in twenty, thirty, forty years’ time?
                      It never would have worked beyond on friends. I imagine if John and Chiana had ever become romantic we would get something similar
                      Spoiler:
                      to what happened to D'Argo in S3 after Chiana cheated on him

I think it upsets me because it really could work, if only John was twenty years younger or Chiana was twenty years older. But they’re at different points.
                      A lot of idealist think age shouldn't matter but I think that is bull frell. Age and maturity is a tough barrier to overcome
                      Crichton views her as a kid, and always will see and remember her like that. Even when Chiana is an old woman, that young version of her will still be with Crichton. Make’s me upset even more. Sorry… I’m a real sucker for ‘it can never even get started’ love stories. That and children/parents storylines are my kryptonite when it comes to crying at fiction.
                      Its true. We are guided so much on our earliest impressions of people. My grandmother for example stills sees me as that 6 year old she babysat for. Its hard for her to accept help from me because of that image
                      I thought the parallel in Aeryn and Zahn’s outlook was kind of neat. They both acknowledge that they shouldn’t be alive. Aeryn never thought she would live this long. Zahn, says that since she killed, ‘every microt is a gift’.
                      That is probably the theme for Farscape. You have this huge military chasing them for 4 years for crimes (most of them) did not comiit. They should all be dead.
                      Spoiler:
                      Although some of them do not make it

Crichton’s choice of topic of conversation with Crais is great, so unexpected. He really needs to have a man-to-man conversation… and his only pseudo-human male option is the psychotic avenger who’s been trying to kill him. “I look at you and I get homesick” is a great line.
                      Stark is human male (kind of) but I guess he is kind of insane as well. I think this scene was the burying of the hatchet since the story couldn't continue for Crais out for revenge now that Scorpy has Crais' command carrier and wants John too
                      I don’t think I ever seen a portrayal of two blokes talking about how they need a sort of ‘brotherhood’ in any other TV show before. Women, yes: there are scenes about how they need feminine relationships in a masculine word… but not the other way around. It’s interesting.
                      The simple fact of the matter is that men don't talk about those kind of things. I don't want to turn this into a topic of gender communication but the simple generalized fact is that normally men don't discuss relationships. It has a lot to do with how our brains are wired
                      Oh, and I also like the line of: “This is John Crichton: somewhere in the universe.”
                      [/QUOTE]

The early bird catches the worm.
                      The second mouse gets the cheese.
                      You can have the worm. I'll take the cheese.
                      Not waiting till the halfway point of the week to write my review -- besides thursday the 21st is Belgium's 4th of july and France's Bastille Day all rolled into one.
                      So its your Independence Day? From who?
                      Bone To Be Wild

...and automatically I start singing "Born to be wiiiiiild..."...
                      You are not the only one
                      Not a fan of the crew being broken up into their own little adventures, even if they fit into the larger story of the whole episode. It basically means less and/or more screentime for some and others.
                      Again not the only one. I have often criticized how some character get less screentime compared to the others. Pilot gets so little in character developement
                      Anyway...

Moya and Talin are hiding in an asteroid field, hiding from the full-command carrier captained by Crais Scorpius. The heating turned off, our crew is shivering the cold away when Pilot picks up a distress call from a nearby junk of rock.

"Help me, I'm being hunted by an insane alien monster..."
                      Don't you love how the crew is laughing it up that someone needs their help?
                      The monster in this case, turns out to be more tree and mushroom than humanoid. Quite possibly a distant relative of Groot (cfr. Guardians of the Galaxy). Or if any of you have ever seen Primeval: there's a fungus that looks about the same when it infects humans.
                      Its probably a subtle nod to the guy's obsession with plants
                      John, D'Argo and Zhaan decide to investigate, whle Pilot asks Aeryn to remain on board, and Chiana and Rygel are relegated to background characters.
                      I would think hinting about Rygel's betrayal would have been a good way to include him in this episode. But they rotate character to background all the time in Farscape. Except John and Aeryn of course
                      And only now, I remember that something felt off the entire two episodes --> Where was Stark?
                      They do address that when Stark returns in S2. I think its a weak answer but it is addressed
                      D'Argo has allergies and it's hilarious, especially when he starts explaining what's happening inside his nose and John stops him from talking about green mucos. Zhaan, on the other hand, is in heaven. When John finds out though that Zhaan is flora and he starts grinning when he says "oh so that's why you love the light so much." - busted!
                      I cracked up about D'Argo nose problems. Remember it affects John as well just not as bad. Maybe Luxans have hyper-immune systems as well. As for Zhaan, I think we are all grinning about her photogasms. It does raise a question, of why does she need to eat if she is a plant. She should make her food.
                      Also -- "you're a vegetable?"

I always saw Zhaan more as a fruit
                      We learn that M'Lee is in fact the monster, and not the walking tree, but the tree isn't innocent either. Actually, in hindsight Tree-man is the bigger monster as his species committed genocide on all bone-life on the asteroid in order to have the jungle all to themselves. The plan backfired, and I can't help but feel some sympathy for M'Lee in her family (even if it's quite clear she cannibalized them for bones).
                      I think my point of appearances are deceiving here is relevant. Just when we think we know our foes (or friends in Zhaan's case) we learn something new that shatters our reality
                      Tree-Man collects specimen but when he collects Zhaan, John puts a stop to it with the help of M'Lee. D'Argo offers up the command carrier as an all-you-can-eat-buffet and all I can think of is that M'Lee is going to eat herself into oblivion.
                      Its really about ethics here. Using science to learn more is noble but when you use sentient beings to expand that knowledge it goes too far. The thing that bugs me about D'Argo is we see them bait the trap for M'Lee and Peacekeepers, then nothings happens
                      I
                      n the meantime, or at the same time, Crais is bing undermined by Scorpius left, right and center aboard the command carrier, pressured into finding Moya and her crew.
                      That was my favorite part of the episode
                      And aboard Moya, Chiana and Rygel are hanging about while Aeryn has a heart-to-heart with Pilot about Talin (not named yet but it's easier). I quite like the scenes with Aeryn on board Talin and how she assists in the bonding between Moya, Talin and herself.
                      I think its also very much a learning experience for Aeryn. She bonds with Talyn like mother would which in turn helps Aeryn grow emotionally.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        So its your Independence Day? From who?
                        From just about everyone around us.

In 1830, drawing inspiration from the recent July Revolution in France, the southern provinces of the United Netherlands rebelled against Dutch rule after a period of growing economic and religious disparity and political alienation. The Dutch were forced out of much of the area and Belgium gained de facto independence. A National Congress was created to write a Constitution for the new state.

The Congress decided that the new country would be a constitutional monarchy (associated with political stability) rather than a republic, in order to reassure foreign governments and the Belgian middle class who associated republicanism with "mob rule" in the aftermath of the French Revolution of 1789. The Congress called upon Leopold of Saxe-Cobourg-Gotha, a German nobleman, to be the first King of the Belgians on the 4th of June 1831.

Accepting the invitation, Leopold travelled to Brussels from England via Calais and De Panne by carriage. On the 21st of July, the temporary regent Erasme Louis Surlet de Chokier officially relinquished his position and Leopold was crowned King. In the ceremony, Leopold vowed to accept the Constitution drawn up by the National Congress, officially bringing it into force. The 21st of July 1831, is therefore a date commonly used by historians to denote the end of the Belgian Revolution and the start of the Kingdom of Belgium.

Comment

Ok you wonderfully verbose and talented people. There isn't much more to say so I'll just put out some little tidbits about the last two eps of Season 1.

Bone To Be Wild

I'm with FH on this and singing "Born to be Wild" now. Great!

Well this is the first ep that Francesca Buller (Ben Browder's Real Life Wife) is in; Playing M'Lee. She is in several eps and plays several alien parts throughout this series. Notice the resemblance?

And can I just say....why in all their advanced medical knowledge and crazy magic they can't come up with a supplement for these Calcivores? I mean give that woman a TUMS or something.

If I would have to come up with some sort of a theme for this ep I would call it Little White Riding Hood Meets the BIG BAD HERB Doctor. I mean seriously was this just all sorts of crazy "who's on first" Three Stooges type of humor/horror?

I felt (like jel) it was a little out of place story wise. But it did allow for us to see some very important things:

1. Crais' slow fall from PK grace which eventually lead him to seek asylum aboard Moya.
                          2. Talyn up close and personal which was a nice bookend to see Aeryn helping him through his crisis and realize he doesn't have to follow the PK life (Just as John told Aeryn she could be more) so Aeryn does the same thing here to Talyn. I think this is an important full circle grand realization on Aeryn's part as she is walking Talyn through some of the same choices she had to make initially.
                          *one little note here of something that did bug me is the fact that Talyn was fully functional with lights and consoles just after birth. That seemed a tad much for me to imagine as I always thought the Peacekeepers had to fit devices onto these Leviathans in order for them to fully function as ships. So that to me was a bit of a stretch.

3. We see the new Crazy John. This by far is what sets this show apart from many other TV shows at the time...NO CHARACTER RESETS! I loved that we see a changed John and we see just how much the Aurora Chair has taken it's toll on him. He simply will never be the same after the chair and this first episode after that starts to show you just how he's changed. So first he laughs manically at the fact the someone is asking them for a rescue and the Moya crew seriously considers it. As if they are in any position to help anyone? LOL It's like a drowning person asking another drowning person for help. Hilarious! Next we see John toting a gun for the first time and notice just how jumpy he is with it too. We also see a less than sensitive John when he finds out that Zhaan is just a "Stinking Plant" and it even surprises Zhaan just how brutish he is about that comment. We see that naive scientist sort of check his southern boy hospitality, manners and patience at the door and there they will stay for the remainder of this series. I love it! See Jel there is something to the t-shirt color!!

4. Where are the Moya crew Morals all of a sudden? Maybe they went out with the baby and the bathwater since they are now in such peril and realize just how dangerous and ruthless the Peacekeepers are in tracking them down and killing them. They don't bat an eye at John's idea to introduce M'Lee to all the Peacekeepers...and that meeting at the end with Scorpy and M'Lee do you think he was onto her and knew what she was all about? Somehow I don't think she got very far or did she? Maybe Scorpy allowed her to feed on some of the undesirable PK command that was previously under Crais? This is something we may never know??

5. FH meantioned the absence of Stark. I read a review and there was one line said about his abruptly leaving Moya which that scene in which that line was said was cut in editing, therefore we don't know exactly what happened to Stark. ?? But this is the nature of his character sort of popping in and out willy nilly....timey whimey ...perhaps he's related to the Doctor.

Ya'll covered all the other good story bits so this is about all I could come up with.

Comment

Ok so now again....what to say that hasn't already been said about...
                            Family Ties

hmmm.... I just have to agree with you all especially on these things:

1. It is about the series of Good byes. This is so touching and again shows just how much our crew has grown and come to love/respect one another. Even Rygel's act of betrayal...I was shocked at this but I have to rationalize it that it was Rygel's way of playing that type of chess game in the Flax...he knew what he was doing and it was a bold move (maybe a bit stupid) but rather than call it a treachery I want to think of it as a last ditch effort to try and negotiate a way out of his situation and maybe it will work out to everyone's advantage? I'm trying to give Rygel that benefit of the doubt here. And well we know it does work out to be beneficial for all.

2. We get the best heart to heart between Crais and Crichton. You have to love it! Ben Browder's eyes just tell a story it's amazing! *melt* I loved this scene between them and Blue nailed it in that it's very rare to see two blokes talking about bonding or actually needing that bond...and it's these real slice of life snipets that really resonate with me when I watch this show. Like the D'argo's line of "I have to Pee" which jel beat me to that one but honestly this type of dialog just really makes it real. And it's rare that you see that type of levity in a tense moment like that...and that is exactly when your bladder would probably act up too!

3. BLUE I'M WITH YOU TOO ... I LOVE JOHN AND CHIANA TOGETHER!! *swoon* Yes I just swooned Go ahead and poke fun at me I don't frelling care I always loved John and Chiana ship that never sailed They did have such awesome chemistry together and their little scene with the heart to heart and the kiss. I think you nailed it here also about John seeing Chi as just a little sister though. They never quite made it out of that friends/sibling love realm. But there is no doubt just how much John does love her and she admire and love him as well. Especially when we get to "Taking the Stone" that this is truly actualized.

4. But with that said I love John and Aeryn more In that they choose not to say goodbye and actually their not goodbye is rather spent on sort of reminiscing about their time together in "A HUMAN REACTION" ep in which we know what they did (jel even admits it). Aeryn sort of confirms that John's dad was close enough to the real thing and by admitting that means that she was actually there with John and they had experienced that same thing together...so that wasn't just a dream or just in John's head. It really happened. I think that was more intimate (reliving that moment) for them than anything else they could've done or said to each other.

5. Finally, D'Argo and John....this as jel put it was sad and such a nail biter and horrible cliff hanger and I'm so glad I don't have to wait half a year now to watch the next ep.

There is so much more to comment on, but you guys have covered it very well.

So....That is all!

Comment

Family Ties

A quiet ending to a moderately exciting season...

We've witnessed the crew grow as characters, as friends, as family. We've seen them at their lowest (later seasons will see them even much lower but not there yet), and at their highest (also, later seasons other highs).

So, Rygel decides to try his luck and negotiate his freedom. I'm never sure whether he means what he does or that he has ulterior motives. Was he really betraying Moya and her crew? Or was he buying them time? Or some other cunning plan.

However, Scorpius doesn't fall for it. He's after the wormhole technology buried within Crichton's mind and the rest is just collateral damage he cares little for. Crais has been relegated to lapdog and his faith is firmly sealed so he makes a bargain with Rygel instead. Although, one could argue it was Talyn he was after since the beginning and bargaining with Rygel for assylum would grant him the opportunity to get aboard the PK offspring. Hence why I never understood why they didn't lock him back up after he informs them their plan won't work.

Chiana wanting to thank John the only way she knows is so sweet and John's reaction is even sweeter. There's a wonderful bit of chemistry between these two characters, but it's not sexual in nature. To me, Chiana or Pip is John's little sister, the one he feels responsible for and will go to great lengths to keep her safe. She's that curious being, out for an adventure, getting herself into all kinds of trouble while doing so but she's learning and discovering. And I absolutely adore her way of giving back.

The end is ominous with Zhaan, Rygel and Chiana aboard Moya, starbursting away. Crais stealing Talyn and disappearing in the asteroid field. And John, D'Argo and Aeryn helplessly floating about space. It's a quiet end, and I'm really glad I don't have to wait a year or so for the next episode.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                                Ok you wonderfully verbose and talented people. There isn't much more to say so I'll just put out some little tidbits about the last two eps of Season 1.
                                Knowing you, you will still say a lot
                                Bone To Be Wild

I'm with FH on this and singing "Born to be Wild" now. Great!
                                I was singing it too. Why am I always left out?
                                Well this is the first ep that Francesca Buller (Ben Browder's Real Life Wife) is in; Playing M'Lee. She is in several eps and plays several alien parts throughout this series. Notice the resemblance?
                                [IG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/sqirrely1/Farscape/MV5BMTkyOTYwMjE0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDA0OTQ0._V1__zps35yeixwt.jpg[/IMG]
                                She is? I knew Browder's wife played M'Lee but I didn't know she played other aliens.
                                And can I just say....why in all their advanced medical knowledge and crazy magic they can't come up with a supplement for these Calcivores? I mean give that woman a TUMS or something.
                                Why would they want too? Plant Man obviously saw M'Lee as a tool. I don't think he really cares what happens to her as long as the animals are dead.
                                If I would have to come up with some sort of a theme for this ep I would call it Little White Riding Hood Meets the BIG BAD HERB Doctor. I mean seriously was this just all sorts of crazy "who's on first" Three Stooges type of humor/horror?
                                A wise guy, eh? *pokes SQ in the eyes* I think that is Farscape humor. I mean look at one of my favorite episodes, Won't Get Fooled Again. Its so crazy, its funny
                                I felt (like jel) it was a little out of place story wise. But it did allow for us to see some very important things:

1. Crais' slow fall from PK grace which eventually lead him to seek asylum aboard Moya.
                                2. Talyn up close and personal which was a nice bookend to see Aeryn helping him through his crisis and realize he doesn't have to follow the PK life (Just as John told Aeryn she could be more) so Aeryn does the same thing here to Talyn. I think this is an important full circle grand realization on Aeryn's part as she is walking Talyn through some of the same choices she had to make initially.
                                *one little note here of something that did bug me is the fact that Talyn was fully functional with lights and consoles just after birth. That seemed a tad much for me to imagine as I always thought the Peacekeepers had to fit devices onto these Leviathans in order for them to fully function as ships. So that to me was a bit of a stretch.
                                The side stories I felt made sense for the episode. It was the main story with the bone lady that I found to make no sense. Its my understanding that the only thing Peacekeepers add is the control collar. If PK had to add tech, then shouldn't all Leviathians have control collars so they can be under Peacekeeper control. I think evidence points that not all Leviathians are not under Peacekeeper control.
                                3. We see the new Crazy John. This by far is what sets this show apart from many other TV shows at the time...NO CHARACTER RESETS! I loved that we see a changed John and we see just how much the Aurora Chair has taken it's toll on him. He simply will never be the same after the chair and this first episode after that starts to show you just how he's changed. So first he laughs manically at the fact the someone is asking them for a rescue and the Moya crew seriously considers it. As if they are in any position to help anyone? LOL It's like a drowning person asking another drowning person for help. Hilarious! Next we see John toting a gun for the first time and notice just how jumpy he is with it too. We also see a less than sensitive John when he finds out that Zhaan is just a "Stinking Plant" and it even surprises Zhaan just how brutish he is about that comment. We see that naive scientist sort of check his southern boy hospitality, manners and patience at the door and there they will stay for the remainder of this series. I love it! See Jel there is something to the t-shirt color!!
                                I find its a gradual process. Honestly at this point I don't see John that different. You are right the chair changes him and makes John crazy but at this point he appears the same. I didn't find the laughing that crazy as they are all laughing at the humor of asking Moya for help. BTW John had a gun in the previous episode. I found the planet argument flawed since the plants are sentient like John and Zhaan
                                4. Where are the Moya crew Morals all of a sudden? Maybe they went out with the baby and the bathwater since they are now in such peril and realize just how dangerous and ruthless the Peacekeepers are in tracking them down and killing them. They don't bat an eye at John's idea to introduce M'Lee to all the Peacekeepers...and that meeting at the end with Scorpy and M'Lee do you think he was onto her and knew what she was all about? Somehow I don't think she got very far or did she? Maybe Scorpy allowed her to feed on some of the undesirable PK command that was previously under Crais? This is something we may never know??
                                Its like the old atomic bomb argument. Their will be collateral damage but its acceptable since it will save innocent lives. They don't care because its the enemy so anything to keep them alive. It bugs me we don't know what happened to M'Lee
                                5. FH meantioned the absence of Stark. I read a review and there was one line said about his abruptly leaving Moya which that scene in which that line was said was cut in editing, therefore we don't know exactly what happened to Stark. ?? But this is the nature of his character sort of popping in and out willy nilly....timey whimey ...perhaps he's related to the Doctor.
                                Its mentioned what happens to him when Stark return but I didn't buy it since of how zealously the Peacekeepers were following Moya
                                Ya'll covered all the other good story bits so this is about all I could come up with.
                                Because I am the best?
                                Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                                Ok so now again....what to say that hasn't already been said about...
                                Mention the Rygel/John scene?
                                Family Ties

hmmm.... I just have to agree with you all especially on these things:
                                Its usually best to agree with me
                                1. It is about the series of Good byes. This is so touching and again shows just how much our crew has grown and come to love/respect one another. Even Rygel's act of betrayal...I was shocked at this but I have to rationalize it that it was Rygel's way of playing that type of chess game in the Flax...he knew what he was doing and it was a bold move (maybe a bit stupid) but rather than call it a treachery I want to think of it as a last ditch effort to try and negotiate a way out of his situation and maybe it will work out to everyone's advantage? I'm trying to give Rygel that benefit of the doubt here. And well we know it does work out to be beneficial for all.
                                Where you really shocked? Because I wasn't. I'm surprised Rygel didn't do it sooner. Call it what it is. It was the only way Rygel thought he could save himself. He knew Moya was doomed and so he ratted everyone out to save himself
                                2. We get the best heart to heart between Crais and Crichton. You have to love it! Ben Browder's eyes just tell a story it's amazing! *melt* I loved this scene between them and Blue nailed it in that it's very rare to see two blokes talking about bonding or actually needing that bond...and it's these real slice of life snipets that really resonate with me when I watch this show. Like the D'argo's line of "I have to Pee" which jel beat me to that one but honestly this type of dialog just really makes it real. And it's rare that you see that type of levity in a tense moment like that...and that is exactly when your bladder would probably act up too!
                                Its rare because generally males don't talk like John and Crais do. I will admit the culture barriers may be playing an impact. As for John and D'Argo, I love it because it a frame of reference. Compare these now versus Premeiere.
                                3. BLUE I'M WITH YOU TOO ... I LOVE JOHN AND CHIANA TOGETHER!! *swoon* Yes I just swooned Go ahead and poke fun at me I don't frelling care I always loved John and Chiana ship that never sailed They did have such awesome chemistry together and their little scene with the heart to heart and the kiss. I think you nailed it here also about John seeing Chi as just a little sister though. They never quite made it out of that friends/sibling love realm. But there is no doubt just how much John does love her and she admire and love him as well. Especially when we get to "Taking the Stone" that this is truly actualized.
                                Don't mention that episode. Taking the Stone is one of my least favorite episodes. I love John and Chiana for what it is. A big brother/sister relationship. Besides that I agree about John and Chiana. Early on, Chiana (as evident by this scene) may have had feelings for John. At the same time, Chiana's journey is learning their is more to relationships than just sex. I think soon Chiana learns that its more she respects him and Chiana doesn't respect many people.
                                4. But with that said I love John and Aeryn more In that they choose not to say goodbye and actually their not goodbye is rather spent on sort of reminiscing about their time together in "A HUMAN REACTION" ep in which we know what they did (jel even admits it). Aeryn sort of confirms that John's dad was close enough to the real thing and by admitting that means that she was actually there with John and they had experienced that same thing together...so that wasn't just a dream or just in John's head. It really happened. I think that was more intimate (reliving that moment) for them than anything else they could've done or said to each other.
                                You love John and Aeryn? I never wound have guessed The scene I find is double folded. Its not just about John and Aeryn. Its also about Aeryn's feel of responsibility to Talyn. She saw Jack as a father figure because she never had real parents
                                5. Finally, D'Argo and John....this as jel put it was sad and such a nail biter and horrible cliff hanger and I'm so glad I don't have to wait half a year now to watch the next ep.

There is so much more to comment on, but you guys have covered it very well.
                                I liked D'Argo speech about fear. You only have to wait 2 more days
                                So....That is all!
                                For now
                                TO BE CONTINUED
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X