X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, weird things happen when the Time Lords cross their own timestreams
    sigpic

Comment

I haven't been too impressed by the latest couple of series of Doctor Who but watched anyway as it's one of my favourite shows hoping it would get better. The classic series has some real gems but also some real duffer stories but I prefer the slower pace of Classic Who.

I had high expectations for the 50th anniversary special with all the hype.
      I don't know what they could have done to make it better.
      The Day of The Doctor is up there with the best episodes IMO.

A multi Doctor episode where they all had in important/interesting part to play
      Possibility (inevitability) of Gallifrey coming back
      The issue of 'The Doctor' doing something that he would never do being resolved
      Cameos, references to past Who & all 13 Doctors
      After watching it for a second time all makes sense (for a time travel show!)

Looking forward to Peter Capaldi as the next Doctor.
      Last edited by FennerMachine; 24 November 2013, 08:14 AM. Reason: Grammer & formatting

Comment

The BBC were definitely smart with their trailers, and I'm surprised almost nothing leaked...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          Gallifrey's fate wasn't changed. History runs as usual with the universe believing Gallifrey was destroyed. What this glorious 50th anniversary movie does is show us that the Doctor's 10th and 11th incarnations were always a part of fixed events and nothing has changed.

The events of the war was Time Locked but only up until those exact points in the lives of the Doctor's 10th and 11th incarnations when they actively become part of fixed events. They make everyone believe Gallifrey was destroyed but instead it was pushed in to a pocket universe and when the "War" and 10th Doctor's went back to their places in history their memories of saving Gallifrey were lost and they continue believing that it was destroyed and carry the guilt of it.

Nothing is moot. History continues as normal.
          That is exactly who I understand it: They changed the facts not the effekts that followed. They found a way to course all the guilt that made (9), 10 end 11 the heros they been (would be? gramma and timetravel don't go along very well )

And 11 is the only one who remebers because it's from his point in time they changed it (in fact HE changed it, because it was his idea), an mybe more imüortend, because he made a promise too remeber. Or am I getting wrong here, what Clara ment, when she said they all made a promise? We heare what Hurt and 10 promiesed (though I can't recall it right now) but 11 said nothing. But he was the one who forgot the number of deaths he caused, and whatnt to make up for it. And I also thought it was a reference to Claras phrase " run you clever boy and remember. So again, it was actually Clara, saving the Doctor, not his life but finaly his soul/heart/ coinscience (whatever you wanna call it).

And last but not least: was'nt it said in the story about 10, the master and the timelords, that they wearent acualy deadt but somehow timelocked which nearly is as good as dead only not as such?

So what's REALY changed? I can't see the redconed the show, just gave it a quite clever twist and a new direction. How many of you guys started complaining about getting tiered of those epic "I am the last of the Time Lords. I scarificed my own peaple"-Docot-speeches?
          Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

The special was fantastic. Definitely going to watch it again and again and again...

I think the Doctor recommended Clara for her teaching position as the school she teaches at is the Coal Hill School near I.M. Foreman's junkyard at 76 Totter's Lane and the chairman of the Board of Governors is one I. Chesterton.
            No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
            It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

I think it was amazing. I am looking forward to many rewatches, but I cried and I laughed and I screamed when I heard TB's voice and I fell absolutely and totally in love with John Hurt's incarnation and now renumber them for myself because he was a Doctor.

I don't consider any of it to be rewriting history because time is in flux in the show - things can and do change, as we have seen over the last 50 years, so there's no reason the Doctor can't revise his own actions. That's the beauty of time travel!

IMO, Moffat has given the show opportunities to thrive for seasons to come, not bogged it down in the "woe is me" personal tragedy that RD had going. No offense to fans of those seasons (I loved them too, honestly) - I just think the future of the show is brighter now. And for someone who has been a diehard fan since 2nd, that's important!
              sigpic

Comment

Loved seeing the junkyard - it made me go all fangurly. As did a lot of other little things in it.

I could have done without Billie Piper - I know it's being all judgypants but there's something about her teeth and the way they make her talk that just put me right off. Plus I got sick of Rose in the end. (I would have LOVED to see Micky though)

I didn't watch a lot of the Matt Smith eps because I loathed the Amy character but I managed to keep up with this ep pretty well.
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

1. Zygons! Don't think I'd seen them before. Uglier than I thought.

2. Why didn't Hurt-Doctor clock that the other two were his future selves.

3. So Billie got brought back...as Bad Wolf? Did they just retcon what that was about?

4. All the Doctors! Presume the Ecclestone stuff was archive footage! And they got Capaldi on board! Wow!

Bottom line though the geeks took over the cinema and applauded at the end! Awesome stuff!
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                    Whaaaat? The Time War is not a fixed event in history?
                    I only watched it once so far, I may have misunderstood. (Or gotten a headache in the middle of their time-travel explanation ... heh.)

Originally posted by Greenee View Post
                    That is exactly who I understand it: They changed the facts not the effekts that followed. [Etc.]
                    That makes sense to me.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                      Wonder what the viewing figures will be...
                      http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/11/24/doct...night-ratings/

Bit more..........

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/11/...ld-record.html
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                        3. So Billie got brought back...as Bad Wolf? Did they just retcon what that was about?
                        It isn't her, just a computer interface in her likeness. She was the sentient interface of The Moment (the galaxy eater). It chose a face he would know and relate to, except she confused his future and his past and chose a face one of his future selves would know, rather than him, i.e. the Bad Wolf incarnation of Rose Tyler.

Comment

I wonder.. how can they (the doctors.. or at least Matt's Doctor) NOT know where they put Galifrey? They did the calculations (the TARDIS did those(?) ), they pushed it in to the picture/ pocket universe... aaand they had the Galifrey picture right in front of them in the last moments of the episode. I dont get it.
                          Ah, another thing, if they require some kind of a calculation that will take hundreds of years, they can just program the TARDIS to go away, sit somewhere for the necessary amount of time and come back 1 second relative to their own time with the calculations done.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                            It isn't her, just a computer interface in her likeness. She was the sentient interface of The Moment (the galaxy eater). It chose a face he would know and relate to, except she confused his future and his past and chose a face one of his future selves would know, rather than him, i.e. the Bad Wolf incarnation of Rose Tyler.
                            I was thinking Ace or Grace would have been a more appropriate interface....... But I guess those actors were not available or willing.
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Edi View Post
                              I wonder.. how can they (the doctors.. or at least Matt's Doctor) NOT know where they put Galifrey? They did the calculations (the TARDIS did those(?) ), they pushed it in to the picture/ pocket universe... aaand they had the Galifrey picture right in front of them in the last moments of the episode. I dont get it.
                              Ah, another thing, if they require some kind of a calculation that will take hundreds of years, they can just program the TARDIS to go away, sit somewhere for the necessary amount of time and come back 1 second relative to their own time with the calculations done.

But that is logical.

Logic has no place in Doctor Who
                              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Logic has a great place in Who.
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X