No announcement yet.

Hell Bent (3512 / 912)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched it a second time now, it was better than I originally gave it credit for, but really the story doesn't make much sense other than the whole wanting to save Clara thing and going dolallie as a result, returning to Galifray was a bit of a wasted opportunity.

I read an interview where Moff said he had changed something fundamental and wasn't sure how people would react to it, does anybody know what this was? Was it the whole gender reassignment regeneration or something else like the Doctor being affected by a 'human compatible neuroblock with the polarity reversed'?

I also had to laugh at that, I assume it was a poke at Star Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
      Watched it a second time now, it was better than I originally gave it credit for, but really the story doesn't make much sense other than the whole wanting to save Clara thing and going dolallie as a result, returning to Galifray was a bit of a wasted opportunity.

I read an interview where Moff said he had changed something fundamental and wasn't sure how people would react to it, does anybody know what this was? Was it the whole gender reassignment regeneration or something else like the Doctor being affected by a 'human compatible neuroblock with the polarity reversed'?

I think it was the Doctor leaving Gallifrey, not because he was bored, but because he was scared.

It fits, as according to the Big Finish audios... (major spoilers for the Doctor's life pre-Gallifrey):

Spoiler:

The then President issued a 'burn edict' (kill order) to a senior official responsible for such operations, known as Lord Burner. This individual was The Doctor's brother, by the name of Irving Braxiatel. Rather than carry out the operation though, he allowed The Doctor to flee Gallifrey. It is then seriously implied that Irving arranged for the President of Gallifrey at the time to meet an unfortunate end due to an electrical fault in his office...

With that in mind, it's possible that The Doctor became a target for 'burning' because of the Hybrid prophecy...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
        I think it was the Doctor leaving Gallifrey, not because he was bored, but because he was scared.

It fits, as according to the Big Finish audios... (major spoilers for the Doctor's life pre-Gallifrey):

Spoiler:

The then President issued a 'burn edict' (kill order) to a senior official responsible for such operations, known as Lord Burner. This individual was The Doctor's brother, by the name of Irving Braxiatel. Rather than carry out the operation though, he allowed The Doctor to flee Gallifrey. It is then seriously implied that Irving arranged for the President of Gallifrey at the time to meet an unfortunate end due to an electrical fault in his office...

With that in mind, it's possible that The Doctor became a target for 'burning' because of the Hybrid prophecy...

And that sound 1000 times more awesome then anything Moffat wrote.
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Hmm now that might explain why the lady in the beginning said something about maintaining the barn for 'the two boys' or something similar, I assume she meant Doctor and Master at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post

maybe that" something fundamental " was that the doctor shot someone, that was a MAJORalteration for the doctor, he NEVER shot any one, if he used a gun, he shot something, a pipe, rope, ground, what ever, but he never EVER shot someone.

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
              maybe that" something fundamental " was that the doctor shot someone, that was a MAJORalteration for the doctor, he NEVER shot any one, if he used a gun, he shot something, a pipe, rope, ground, what ever, but he never EVER shot someone.
              The Doctor has killed, many, many people.
              Not so much in NuWho, but certainly over time.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                Well... You know there's a K9 movie coming out in 2017... ' Time Quake'?
                oh dear god I had no idea.

http://io9.com/doctor-whos-robot-dog...j5WSfr4zi6J44Q

this is starting to look very bad.

K9 - The Korven - Part 1

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  The Doctor has killed, many, many people.
                  Not so much in NuWho, but certainly over time.
                  yes, but he never used a gun to kill them, he never directly pulled a gun and shot them directly, it's one of his quirks..

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                    yes, but he never used a gun to kill them, he never directly pulled a gun and shot them directly, it's one of his quirks..
                    It's also a way for him to dodge responsibility.
                    Signing the paper that says "execute them" is in no way more "noble" than being the axeman, in fact, it is probably less noble.
                    sigpic

Comment

epg20, I feel your pain. I think McCoy needs to come back and have a stern talking to Capaldi...

Signing the paper that says "execute them" is in no way more "noble" than being the axeman, in fact, it is probably less noble.
                      I've no doubt some uni student at some time has written a thesis on this - how much blood is directly/indirectly on the Doctor's hands... when it was "justified"... Whether he'd get off in a court of law...

I'd like to think that ultimately there have been very few cases of real negligence, and worse - "murder" or manslaughter, committed by the Doctor... Of course, that's a thread unto itself...
                      Last edited by cosmichobo; 10 December 2015, 10:50 PM.
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                        epg20, I feel your pain. I think McCoy needs to come back and have a stern talking to Capaldi...

I've no doubt some uni student at some time has written a thesis on this - how much blood is directly/indirectly on the Doctor's hands... when it was "justified"... Whether he'd get off in a court of law...

I'd like to think that ultimately there have been very few cases of real negligence, and worse - "murder" or manslaughter, committed by the Doctor... Of course, that's a thread unto itself...
                        I think "on balance" you are probably right Cosmic, but I wish to restrict my observations to the Doctor "doing the deed" himself really is not that much of an oddity. It being -shown- on screen certainly is less likely, but even just in this series with Ashildr taking the role of "picking up the pieces" after the doctor leaves is an indicative of the damage that he does along the way. He does not even have the temerity to argue with her!!
                        Of course, the pieces are also not the Doctors concern to a degree.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think back in Stolen Earth/Journey's End, Davros makes ultimately some very good points regarding the Doctor "turning" people into... well, an army.

****, I'm go going to have to document this at some point...

Lives lost due to the Doctor's involvement:
                          Lives saved due to the Doctor's involvement:

Logopolis gave us a large chunk of the known universe saved.... But Pandorica - the entire universe was lost... Maybe the rest is just small change.
                          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                            I think back in Stolen Earth/Journey's End, Davros makes ultimately some very good points regarding the Doctor "turning" people into... well, an army.
                            I think it is better to think of them like Harry Potters DATDA class.
                            Harry certainly does not intend for anyone to have to use what he has shown them, but they have to, and even then, it is confused with "Dumbledore's Army".
                            I don't think the Doctor -tries- to make warriors, but often what he says -results- in the construction of warriors, despite his intentions. Dumbledore turns his "companions" into warriors, so does the Doctor, not from intent, but from their respective "companions" reacting to his teachings. Also, the Doctor is "above it all" to an extent, but those he travels with are not.

****, I'm go going to have to document this at some point...

Lives lost due to the Doctor's involvement:
                            Lives saved due to the Doctor's involvement:
                            Well, I hope your clicker finger is primed before you do it!!
                            Logopolis gave us a large chunk of the known universe saved.... But Pandorica - the entire universe was lost... Maybe the rest is just small change.
                            To the Doctor? Perhaps.
                            sigpic

Comment

Peter Davison's doctor shot a Cyberman with a ray gun.
                              Tom Baker shot a giant rat with a shotgun/rifle.
                              Last edited by FennerMachine; 11 December 2015, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FennerMachine View Post
                                Peter Davison's doctor shot a Cyberman with a ray gun.

And so did other doctors at various points in time..

I just had a funny thought regarding Clara's TARDIS.. She now has an added "porch" in the form of the diner interior, I wonder if she will make souffles while in flight of if you travel with her she could fix you a latte.
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X