No announcement yet.

Asylum of the Daleks (3301/701)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still not sure how I feel about this episode. I've got mixed feelings. I like the plot but I though we could've seen more insane Daleks seeing as there was meant to be millions.
    As for Oswin. IF (if being the emphisised word) Clara is like her, its going to take a very long time to like her. I mean a VERY long time. When she first appeared I kinda liked her. I thought she was cute and then as the episode porgressed, she drove me nuts. I don't even know why. Amy and Rory were beautiful as ever.
    All in all, I thought the episode was good but as far as openers go, there have been better.
    sigpic
    "For All Eternity"
    The Five | Multi-shpper
    SamxJack | JohnxHelen
    Currently watching: Stargate SG1 Season3. Currently reading: Broken Wings by L Stoddard Hancock.
    Banner courtesy of couplechemestry.livejournal.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
      Remember GateFanSamJack this isn't a show for adults. Many, many children are watching as well, they don't want to go into too much detail about the emotional and mental problems associated with infertility. Just a hint is sufficient I think.

However, it makes me wonder if Amy's infertility is going to have some ramifications a bit further on. I still think that

Spoiler:
      when Amy and Rory eventually die the Doctor will download them into the CAL computer in the Library to be with River. There Amy and Rory can have their baby.

That would be cool but why would the Doctor do that? It's not like he's going to stick around keeping an eye on them till they cark it. Plus he'd have to deal with the Vashta Nerada and somehow get past them.
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
        That would be cool but why would the Doctor do that? It's not like he's going to stick around keeping an eye on them till they cark it. Plus he'd have to deal with the Vashta Nerada and somehow get past them.
        I agree. I can't really see the Doctor going back there. Too many Vashta Nerada to deal with and although he loves Amy and Rory and he might stick around with them for years, I can't really see him being there when they die.
        sigpic
        "For All Eternity"
        The Five | Multi-shpper
        SamxJack | JohnxHelen
        Currently watching: Stargate SG1 Season3. Currently reading: Broken Wings by L Stoddard Hancock.
        Banner courtesy of couplechemestry.livejournal.com

Comment

Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post
          I'm impressed there were no leaks about Jenna. Moffat will be emboldened.
          Since she's never on screen with another character, it occurs to me that for the preview screenings all her scenes were perhaps played by another actress.

After all, the reveal of Rose Tyler at the end of "Partners in Crime" was shown only during the actual broadcast.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I see what you're saying, it's possible, but weren't Moffat and Coleman beaming about the pre-screening people keeping it quiet? As with everything Moffat, I'd have to re-read it exactly to see if he wasn't just leading me on.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

Correction: Amy didn't recreate the universe. The Pandorica did. Amy recreated the Doctor, but the universe was restored because the pandorica was basically a tiny sample of the universe exactly how it was.

Comment

Originally posted by jameshawking View Post
                Correction: Amy didn't recreate the universe. The Pandorica did. Amy recreated the Doctor, but the universe was restored because the pandorica was basically a tiny sample of the universe exactly how it was.

I was thinkign about this and wondered. Amy only knows the 11th incarnation of the Doctor so wouldn't her recreation of him be only that one and incomplete since she has no memory of any of his past selves? So shouldn't he be incomplete in his memories too?

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                  I was thinkign about this and wondered. Amy only knows the 11th incarnation of the Doctor so wouldn't her recreation of him be only that one and incomplete since she has no memory of any of his past selves? So shouldn't he be incomplete in his memories too?
                  I'm fairly sure that much thought wasn't exactly put into it.

But it could easily be said that she "remembered The Doctor", so everything he did up to that point, i.e. everything he did, made him into "The Doctor", and hence would also happen

Comment

Interesting....

Oswin plays Habanera and the Toreador Song from Carmen.

Habanera has these lyrics...

One man talks well, the other's mum;
                    it's the other one that I prefer.
                    He's silent but I like his looks.

and the Toreador Song has these...

All of a sudden, it is silent...
                    Ah, what is happening?
                    More cries! It is the moment!

Edit - And just a thought... I wonder if it is Katherine Jenkins singing?
                    Last edited by Blencathra; 03 September 2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Somehow opera loses some of its appeal when you actually know what the words mean.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                        Somehow opera loses some of its appeal when you actually know what the words mean.
                        No problem for me - opera lost all of its appeal the first time I heard it!
                        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Philistines!

Comment

Hey, I still like classical music (actually I have very eclectic taste in music)... just not when people sing over it in annoying voices!

The more I watch this episode, the more I like Oswin, and the more I doubt it's possible to make Daleks truly scary again. I enjoyed the episode, but to me Daleks are actually less threatening and menacing than the other major Who monsters like Sontarans and Cybermen.

I think the idea of Moffat writing a Dalek episode made me really hopeful that they could once again be chilling, but it just didn't work. Maybe they've truly had their day. Maybe they really need to be retired now... or else completely reinvented.
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                              Hey, I still like classical music (actually I have very eclectic taste in music)... just not when people sing over it in annoying voices!

The more I watch this episode, the more I like Oswin, and the more I doubt it's possible to make Daleks truly scary again. I enjoyed the episode, but to me Daleks are actually less threatening and menacing than the other major Who monsters like Sontarans and Cybermen.

I think the idea of Moffat writing a Dalek episode made me really hopeful that they could once again be chilling, but it just didn't work. Maybe they've truly had their day. Maybe they really need to be retired now... or else completely reinvented.
                              They still were far more threatening than in previous appearances. Besides, the kids love them. It is difficult to make a race of pepper pots with plunges scary at the best of times.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

That's what I think the memory wipe was for. To retire the Daleks gracefully. Who knows what they will be up to next but now the Doctor will be a BRAND NEW enemy......

Comment

Working...
                                X