No announcement yet.

The Vampires of Venice (3106/506)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else think that was a bit, well...s%#&t? Maybe it just suffers in comparison to last week's two-parter, but it definitely felt s%#&t.

I do like Rory, in a half-hearted 'oh, he's alright' kind of way, but he's just not interesting. Do we have to keep him around? I mean, I know it'll only be for a few episodes, because the add-ons never stick around - Mickey didn't, Adam didn't - so why bother at all? All they do is flap and panic and fret and decide the Doctor's life is not for them, and we know that's how it'll end, so why go through it all over again? It's boring.

This episode on the whole really bored me. There were a couple of funny bits but on the whole I was thoroughly bored.
    He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
    He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
    And he's wonderful.

Comment

I knew they couldn't be vampires because they seemed to be very un-vampire like in the beginning. But I really enjoyed this episode, once again the Doctor is reminded if being the last of the Time Lords....having to exterminate a race. I like Rory, he is pretty hilarious! Much better than Mickey....

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
        I knew they couldn't be vampires because they seemed to be very un-vampire like in the beginning. But I really enjoyed this episode, once again the Doctor is reminded if being the last of the Time Lords....having to exterminate a race. I like Rory, he is pretty hilarious! Much better than Mickey....
        I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting to be honest...but I definitely wasn't expecting them all to be wearing perception filter devices concealing a truly alien-looking creature. That *really* took me by surprise. Great stuff.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          Unless everyone in Leadworth was affected by the crack too in which case they wouldn't notice the date on Rory's I.D. because they're part of...whatever it is that's going on.
          Since we haven't yet seen the eleventh Doctor land anywhere on 'present' Earth other than Leadworth as far as I can remember, that could well be the case.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting to be honest...but I definitely wasn't expecting them all to be wearing perception filter devices concealing a truly alien-looking creature. That *really* took me by surprise. Great stuff.
            Yeah I wasn't expecting that either. I didn't think there would be "alien" aliens in the episode. Very cool indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
              Since we haven't yet seen the eleventh Doctor land anywhere on 'present' Earth other than Leadworth as far as I can remember, that could well be the case.
              Indeed. And who knows how far the effects of the crack have spread across Earth. As the Doctor pointed out in The Time of Angels, nobody remembers the Cyber King stomping across 19th century London. Interesting that both that and the Daleks moving Earth to the Medusa Cascade back in 2009 in The Stolen Earth seemed to get blotted out from people's memories. Who knows what else the crack has done...question is...will it get undone? In the 1964 story The Dalek Invasion of Earth set in 2167, the planets been under Dalek charge for around 10-years but no-one remembers the Daleks from the events of The Stolen Earth. Of course, from a factual POV, obviously there was no events of The Stolen Earth to remember in The Dalek Invasion of Earth...but from a fictional POV it is a continuity issue. Maybe the crack in time will reset things slightly?

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
              Yeah I wasn't expecting that either. I didn't think there would be "alien" aliens in the episode. Very cool indeed.
              Yeah. From the preview trailer I will say I was perhaps expecting the vampire creatures in The Vampires of Venice to be sort of slaves or off-spring of the Great Vampire seen in the 1980 story State of Decay...but it was a very cool twist we got and bravo to Mr. Moffat and co. for keeping the surprise and giving us some really cool and vicious looking aliens with a vampire-esque element around them.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                He said in the Eleventh Hour that they were made from 'two parts of time that should never have touched', which could suggest Rory/Amy or Rory/Doctor or Amy/Doctor.
                Lol. The Universe is collapsing because Amy kissed The Doctor then?

One hell of a kiss...................
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                  I enjoyed it too. It wasn't a Moffat sweeping epic....
                  That would be because Moffat didn't write it, he maybe changed some dialogue for continuity, but it wasn't his story (neither was Victory of the Daleks either).

Anyway, the silence... hmm that to me would suggest everything "outside" of the Tardis was deleted/removed/exterminated at that moment, in the Angels episode the Doctor said something about the cracks deleting time, and the people that got deleted nobody could remember etc., maybe this was just another swing on that, instead of seeing a crack, we hear the silence fall as that timeline/reality was deleted.

Which brings me nicely onto the cracks themselves - maybe it's not that the cracks are following Amy/Rory/Doctor around - maybe the cracks are doorways between realities and as the Tardis is travelling through time, it's jumping from reality to reality through the cracks and as they leave and jump to another time/reality, that reality they've been in is being deleted from the universe? (perhaps it's the Tardis itself that is creating the cracks?).

Saturn 9 species - am I going mad (have to rewatch tomorrow to confirm) or did the queen say they had come through the crack to here (Venice)? I'm sure she said something about a crack appeared, everything went silent and they came through the crack (to this reality).

I could be going mad, it wouldn't be the first time, I liked the episode, especially when the Doctor jumped out the cake... and the bit with the Library card...

Comment

That would be because Moffat didn't write it, he maybe changed some dialogue for continuity, but it wasn't his story (neither was Victory of the Daleks either).
                    I'm very much well aware he didn't write this episode, guy. I meant it a "it wasn't a Moffat episode, and it showed, but it was still good".
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I liked this one a lot. It's nice to have singular stories sometimes, and really this one's strength lay in its character interactions rather than its story.

It was really great to see just how much the Doctor and Amy have become a team, from the perspective of Rory the outsider. But even with him over the course of an episode he went from being 'along for the ride' to 'part of the team'. Really great evolution. Tons of great dialogue between the three protagonists. Lots of fun
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I didn't really feel this episode, I'm not the biggest fan of Rory (Mickey was so much better), which I'm sure is part of it, but still something felt off. Also it was the first time I found myself missing Tennent, not because of Matt but because the tenth Doctor could have found a far less depressing conclusion. Every single episode he would offer the bad guys one trip to an uninhabited world where they could live their lives without killing more humans, and I reckon these space fish probably would have taken it.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                          I didn't really feel this episode, I'm not the biggest fan of Rory (Mickey was so much better), which I'm sure is part of it, but still something felt off. Also it was the first time I found myself missing Tennent, not because of Matt but because the tenth Doctor could have found a far less depressing conclusion. Every single episode he would offer the bad guys one trip to an uninhabited world where they could live their lives without killing more humans, and I reckon these space fish probably would have taken it.
                          I don't think so. The Doctor didn't give the Family of Blood a second chance and look what he did with them. I think what the Doctor did in The Vampires of Venice was consistent behaviour.

Comment

I think he would have been willing right up to the point where he realised Roseanna didn't even know the name of the 'traitor' girl she'd ordered executed. He seemed sympathetic with their plight, and understanding of their fear, but none too pleased with their approach to saving themselves. I was going to say that if he didn't offer to relocate them, there was probably a good reason, but given how scatter-brained, unaware of what's right in front of him and generally clueless this Doctor seems to be at times (for example, the thing with the Starwhale, talking with Amy after the Weeping Angels event, talking to Rory at his stag night), he quite possibly just didn 't think of an alternative.
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I really enjoyed this epsiode... it was good to see an episode that was a little more light hearted... matt smith is really good at the funny stuff.. like the whole thing that he likes when they say its bigger on the inside...
                              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                                I think he would have been willing right up to the point where he realised Roseanna didn't even know the name of the 'traitor' girl she'd ordered executed. He seemed sympathetic with their plight, and understanding of their fear, but none too pleased with their approach to saving themselves. I was going to say that if he didn't offer to relocate them, there was probably a good reason, but given how scatter-brained, unaware of what's right in front of him and generally clueless this Doctor seems to be at times (for example, the thing with the Starwhale, talking with Amy after the Weeping Angels event, talking to Rory at his stag night), he quite possibly just didn 't think of an alternative.
                                Exactly. As soon as the aliens began stepping on people who got in the way of their survival or were unappreciative and forgetful of people like Roseanne who's sacrifice would've helped save them...that's a line crossed as far as the Doctor's concerned. All sympathy for them went right out the window once that happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X