No announcement yet.

Journey's End (3013/413)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When The Doctor was giving his speech to Jack, Rose & Donna about "You've been brilliant", I was hoping he was going to finish it off with "and so have I!" as Christopher Ecclescake said to Rose just prior to regenerating.

Also, I was really hoping the Hand would regenerate into Christopher Ecclescake (some regeneration technobabble would have explained it), instead of Doctor-2. He can't really be last of the Timelords now- what with him having a Timelord Daughter-Clone and a 1/2 Timelord-Clone, it seems to cheapen things.

Also, the Doctor/Rose thing was bound to happen, but using the 1/2 Doctor-2 () as a proxy was just terrible- Rose loves The Doctor, (blatantly for his Tardis ). She can't seem to grasp that 1/2 Doctor-2 is the same guy, only human... Sorta... It doesn't seem right.

The genocide of the Daleks was also a bad way to tie everything up; they're (unfortunately) bound to make a reappearance, so why stubble into the same trap of having to come up with a ridiculous way of reintroducing them (via a Cult that took refuge in between Universes, etc).

And the Doctor really should have removed the memories from most of the people on Earth, including Donna. He said that any minute detail would bring back her Memories; it seems like the next time she watches the News and has a full report she'll blow a fuse...

Davros wasn't neccessary; he didn't add anything to the plotline; apart from provide a means to resurrect the Daleks once again. Also adding a human-face to the Daleks... The Maniacal Laughter when he started the Reality Bomb was great though.

Not the best of episodes; probably the worst of Season Finales in the new seasons, but good none-the-less.

Comment

Personally I think the return of the Dalek's will be done by Caan and Davros. When every Dalek was killed, those two were still alive. Wouldn't be surprised if one or both did an emergency temporal shift.

One thing I am confused about, does this mean we're on the 11th Doctor now? He may not have actually regenerated but the process did begin he just dumped the rest of his energy into the hand.

Overall I really enjoyed the episode, although the technobabble was a bit much. The ending I thought was superb, as although I wasn't found of Donna to begin with her departure from the show was very emotional and a good way for her to exit the show without her actual death as opposed to the death of Donna she became. Bit disappointed with Rose and Doctor² as it just seemed like a cheap way to give her a happy ending and a waste of a possible form since Tennant departing the show in the future for any reason could result in just two more Doctors.

sigpic

Comment

Personally I think the return of the Dalek's will be done by Caan and Davros. When every Dalek was killed, those two were still alive. Wouldn't be surprised if one or both did an emergency temporal shift.

One thing I am confused about, does this mean we're on the 11th Doctor now? He may not have actually regenerated but the process did begin he just dumped the rest of his energy into the hand.

Overall I really enjoyed the episode, although the technobabble was a bit much. The ending I thought was superb, as although I wasn't found of Donna to begin with her departure from the show was very emotional and a good way for her to exit the show without her actual death as opposed to the death of Donna she became. Bit disappointed with Rose and Doctor² as it just seemed like a cheap way to give her a happy ending and a waste of a possible form since Tennant departing the show in the future for any reason could result in just two more Doctors.

sigpic

Comment

i thought "DoctorDonna" was important! BAH! i should've spoken up about it when i had the chance.
          Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
          sigpic

Comment

Enjoyed the episode very much.

I loved Davros's completely maniacical bit when the final countdown neared the end and then they all heard the Tardis materialising.

I still think that the death of the most faithfull companion related to the Tardis rather than Donna. Despite what they said about her and the Dr being faited to join up with each other I don't see Donna as being any more faithfull than any of the others. I mean Rose found a way to cross realities to rejoin him, SJS continued on for years after she stopped travelling with him! The Tardis has been with him for hundreds of years and Davros did intend to destroy it. They all thought it had been ripped apart in the core.

Anyway does anyone have any idea what the music was as they towed the Earth home? i've emailed the beeb but who knows if or when they will get back to me.
            sigpic

Comment

I was sure it was going to be the TARDIS as well, which it almost was (and I'm really annoyed at Donna's fate!!), but as for the music, I can't help you. I've never heard it before on Who, but I expect it was another piece by Murray Gold, who as far as I am concerned has done wonders for the new series (I think his Gallifrey theme is amazing). It'll probably turn up on the season four soundtrack CD.

I did think towing Earth was one of the standout moments of the episode, something so jaw-droppingly huge only a Time Lord would even think of it, and positive to boot (rare in TV sci-fi, I think!), what with all the companions and the outcome. The music certainly suited it.
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                Seriously, I think it would have been better for Donna to die, knowing what she did and spending her last few hours or days with her family. That is just a really horrible end for such an awesome character (who I initially hated, and now think is the best companion the Doctor's ever had!).

Ah well, at least leaving her alive leaves a tiny little doorway for her return. Remember the surprise finales for previous series: regeneration, donna appearing the tardis, titanic colliding with the tardis...now imagine series five's finale: Donna's return.
                I think the ending's a lot stronger this way than it would have been had Donna died. Because... well... dead characters are a tragedy, yes. But it's something that, ridiculously, we've come to expect from science fictino, and drama in general. Someone as brilliant as Donna, who we the viewers know how brilliant she is, but also know she will never know it herself or live to see her potential... that's just really painful. Sob.

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
                Anyway does anyone have any idea what the music was as they towed the Earth home? i've emailed the beeb but who knows if or when they will get back to me.
                I think it was a version of the music they wrote for Planet of the ood, too? In the end of the episode? Anyway, Murray gold original I'd imagine, wait for the series 4 sounmdtrack
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

That was definitley an original by Mr. Gold and I can't wait for the release of the soundtrack for series four. I only wonder when that will happen. The Torchwood score isn't due until autumn next year and I wouldn't be surprised if the fourth series soundtrack will also be released late 2009
                  He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                  He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                  And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                    I think the ending's a lot stronger this way than it would have been had Donna died. Because... well... dead characters are a tragedy, yes. But it's something that, ridiculously, we've come to expect from science fictino, and drama in general. Someone as brilliant as Donna, who we the viewers know how brilliant she is, but also know she will never know it herself or live to see her potential... that's just really painful. Sob.
                    I've never understood why people get upset when shows do painful things...isn't that realistic, isn't that good writing? Unless the writers pretend that it's nothing, which the Who writers certainly didn't.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                    ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

The finale was thrilling! My only "cringe" was SJS and Mickey sneaking away from the Daleks without being seen. Ah...don't think so.

Donna! Didn't like her in "Runaway Bride" and thought it was going to be a looong series. However, I will miss her now. I saw Catherine Tate's skits of Lauren. Brilliant!! Since then, I'm a hugh fan! I want to see more of Donna and Catherine!

After my second viewing, I'm left with wanting more. The strange part is I want to know more about Blue Doctor. I think the blending of Donna makes him a much more interesting Doctor.

Rose should have been grateful for the gift she was given. (I know I would have been.) Unless, she was just after his blue box. No, he isn't the exact same because of the Donna blend; and if anything tore them apart, it would be because she could tell the difference. I hope Rose allows herself to be happy with the only Doctor she will get and is darn lucky to have!

I would like to see new villians. "Blink" was awesome! The entity from "Midnight" could reappear. How much more story is there in Cybermen and Daleks?

Ah well, I do have my books to keep me happy until Christmas.

Token ~

Comment

Davros completely stole the show.

Without him I think I would have shot myself at the tactless happy ending and series of crazy luck that repeatedly saved them from destruction.

I was SO hoping that Davros would detonate the bomb, destroying everything in the universe and setting up next season for the Doctor and his companions to restore things.

I know it wouldnt happen like that but one can only dream.

Davros remided me of Darth Sidious.
                        My two favourite villians, apart from the Ori.

Imagine Davros and Sidious Ascending haha.

I dont think he's insane at all though. He's worked toward his goal for hundreds of years. It's basically the only thing that keeps him living and going on.

To finally be so close to fulfilling your lifes work would be a feeling far beyond normally happiness, eg. laughing hysterically and feeling empowered by proving wrong all those that doubted you. To others that do not understand what you've been through and how hard you have had to work towards this, they would think you're completely insane.

I hope we'll be seeing more of him.

ohhh and I LOVED the scene between Davros and Sarah Jane!
                        Last edited by Gabriel_Lecter; 07 July 2008, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                          *sigh* Yup. Donna is the best companion ever, had the best journey of a companion, she finally realizes her worth, and wow. I re-watched that episode, that scene where she realizes what the Doctor about to do is SO hard to watch, and then seeing her on the phone in the kitchen at the end was devastating.

And the thing is, the Doctor was so freshly reminded by Davros of all the people who have literally died because of him throughout the series that he couldn't let it happen to her. I think that when he saved her, he lost sight of the fact that there is something worse than death because all of those past deaths had just been replayed for him. The tragedy of Donna Noble is that she will probably NEVER find herself in the way that she did over the course of the series, and that's just heartbreaking- it'll be awful for her Grandad. Because she would rather have lived her last moments happy with herself and who she was and proud of what she had done and seen, but she's really so wonderful, and so smart and brave etc. and now she'll never know it! Argh!

A few other comments.....
                          Jack! "I can't tell you what I'm thinking." And Donna's intrest in Jack was hilarious and good. "You can hug me. No really, you can hug me." (and 'Who's that?" from the previous episode) Loved it.

Mickey! *crossed fingers on him and Martha joining Torchwood*

Towing the Earth! Ridiulously awesomely epic. The companions driving the TARDIS, wow. Exactly how to do a crossover.

The two things I didn't like: The beach scene.....ugh. We really didn't need that kiss. That was so completely not Doctor Who. And also as mentioned, Sarah Jane and Mickey's escape.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                            That was definitley an original by Mr. Gold and I can't wait for the release of the soundtrack for series four. I only wonder when that will happen. The Torchwood score isn't due until autumn next year and I wouldn't be surprised if the fourth series soundtrack will also be released late 2009
                            Thanks for the reply guys, I'll have to keep my eyes out for it, however like I'm going to remember in 2009 that I want it. I'll have to stick a big note somewhere visible.
                            sigpic

Comment

I had a revelation last night. Donna's fate is even more tragic that we previously thought:

She got to see the Doctor naked... and will never remember it!
                              sigpic

Comment

ROFLMAO! Trust you to pick up on that. Yes, indeed, that is a fate worse than death...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X