Midnight (3010/410)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
    Maybe he's more powerul than the Doctor and can actualyl control the creature!
    More powerful than the Doctor?! *snorts with laughter* That's what it seems he wants to believe...

(Sorry, Tom )
    Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm. I liked and disliked this episode. I agree with earlier posts about the humans being idiotic, but I enjoyed seeing Donna and the Doctor separate for a bit.

It was an ok episode, but I am eager to see the finale.
      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Or at least, that's what Tom (who's been taken over by the alien!! ) thinks... I think Tom's mind has confused the creature...

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Myn MacGeek, Third Sentinel View Post
          Or at least, that's what Tom (who's been taken over by the alien!! ) thinks... I think Tom's mind has confused the creature...
          Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
          sigpic

Comment

More powerful than the Doctor?! *snorts with laughter* That's what it seems he wants to believe...

(Sorry, Tom )

(Sorry, Tom )

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
              Oh, no! There are two of them!!!

And they're both after me!!!

Help! Hide me!

I'm too young to have my speech taken away from me thus forcing me to repeat everything some evil alien in control of someone else says!!!(!)
              Fandoms come and go, but geekiness lasts forever.

YouTube - DeviantART - Twitter - tumblr

sigpic

Comment

Help! Hide me!

I'm too young to have my speech taken away from me thus forcing me to repeat everything some evil alien in control of someone else says!!!(!)

Help! Hide me!

sigpic

Comment

Wow! I loved this episode. I found it genuinely creepy with great build up of tension.

The part with The Doctor chatting it up with everyone(after disconnecting the horrible entertainment ) was sweet.

The repeating really got to me...in a good way.

And I didn't miss Donna.

Comment

this was an ok episode i liked that this episode was just the doctor it shows he can still do things on his own. but i found this episode a bit boring
                    sigpic

Comment

creepy and who go so well together and this ep proved it

nice to see a doctor who ep ...with no donna
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

this episode was so creepy
                        sigpic

Comment

freaky ep nice to not have donna along i much prefer the doctor alone sometimes.

Comment

i agree
                            sigpic

Comment

I re-watched the old movie "Forbidden Planet" a few days ago and now coming back to this thread I have a possible theory about the Creature, what it was, why it had never been seen before, and how it was able to do what it did...

First off, for those who haven't seen Forbidden Planet, the premise behind it is that the planet was once home to a race called the Krel that built a giant machine that would allow them to be completely rid of physical instrumentality. Basically anything they thought would become real. Unfortunately they failed to factor in the desires of their subconscious minds and the "monsters of the id" were brought to life by the machine and destroys them in a single night. Thousands of years later, humans show up on the planet and one member of the expedition accidentally enhances his brain enough to interface with the machine and his nightmares wipe out everybody except his wife and daughter. During the course of the movie we see that man, Dr. Morbius, create a monster that attacks a crew that has come to follow up on the original expedition.

So here's my theory: First, what was the creature? I believe that the creature may actually have been a manifestation of the planet itself. All that extonic radiation pounding down onto all of those crystals (we're told that the saphire waterfall isn't really saphires, so maybe the diamonds aren't really diamonds???) maybe the planet itself was some sort simple life form with a basic consciousness. Why was it able to do what it did? It feeds on thought and emotion. Sky's mind was the weakest because of her emotional turmoil. She was doubting herself, and questioning her life, possibly confronting fears of being alone, dieing alone. She had the strongest emotions there and was an easy target. The initial problem of the engines dieing could have been a fluke, or it might have been caused by the entity. Once it had hold of sky though, it had a taste of intense emotion and wanted more. It most likely influenced the minds of the others on the transport to get more of what it wanted.

Why was the creature never seen before? Simple... The Doctor. We know the Doctor is a telepath (girl in the fireplace, planet of the ood). We know he can be affected by psychokinetic energy (Last of the Time Lords). He also carries large amounts of those particles Time Travelers pick up (Army of Ghosts / Doomsday). It's not a big stretch to imagine that the Doctor's very presence is the very thing that drew the entity's attention. Now imagine that the entity is itself is not yet fully self-aware. Then a powerful mind draws it's focus. That very focus causes the engines on the transport to fail. Engine failure on a transport is unheard of so the pilots get a bit worried. The doctor has them open the open the shielding on the window thus exposing him and the two pilots directly to the entity that is poking around. The one pilot is already worried and the entity gets a taste of his heightened emotions and wants more so it starts looking for a way in. As everyone else starts to worry and get paranoid, the entity draws on their emotions and begins to take on aspects of what it senses in them.

It uses the power it's drawing from the emotions of everybody aboard to rip the cockpit off the transport looking for a way in. Then it finds Sky. Her terror gives it the power it needs to pass through the shields. Once there it attempts to learn by mimicry but sees that it's mimicry produces the intense emotion it's craving so it keeps it up, pushing it ever further, constantly growing more powerful until it is finally able to push past the Doctor's defenses. It takes all the knowledge it it needs and decides that the Doctor is to dangerous to keep around so it decides to get the others to eliminate him before the Doctor is able to free himself and expose the entity for what it is: The embodiment of the passengers fears. But the entity slips up and says Alons-y and the Hostess acts.

Makes you wonder... If the people Hadn't reacted with fear would the entity still have been malevolent? Would it have, instead, chose to communicate with the Doctor? Did the entity even have any consciousness of it's own or was it merely a reflection of the people on the Transport's worst fears (including The Doctors fear of someone else using his knowledge for evil)? Maybe there wasn't an entity at all. Maybe something in the crystal structure of the alternate path they took just resonated psychic energy and the Doctor's presence triggered an effect similar to the Krell Machinery from Forbidden Planet.

That's what I love about Dr. Who. It makes you think. Every now and then you get an episode like this where they leave you with enough what-ifs to let you fill in the gaps with other things you've seen or read.

Comment

wow
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X