Midnight (3010/410)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
    I still reckon the RTD is doing like what he did for Doomsday, remember how convinced we all were that Rose would die?
    Didn't help how in the trailer for Army of Ghosts/Doomsday she said it was the story of her death. How melodramatic, Rose!

Onto this week's episode- I wasn't really looking forward to it much. It sounded a lot like money-saving filler. I didn't think it was a brilliant episode but it kept me entertained throughout.

It does bring me on to the one thing that bothers me about Dr Who though- it does have a bit of an identity crisis at times. Some weeks you can watch and just think ''oh this is blatantly a kids show'' (ironically enough it's usually the RTD episodes which make me think this) but then there's ones like this which deal with subjects that a lot of ''adult'' shows wouldn't.

I mean, a week or so ago I watched the 3rd Doctor adventure the Monster of Peladon, which was really political and dealt with the separation between the aristocracy and the working class. Don't see that on TV much.

But back to this one...
    It reminded me a little of Lord of the Flies, the way they all start out on good terms then start to turn on each other at the first sign of trouble. And how quickly they turned to murder, despite the fact they were in no physical danger, was really chilling. At first I was disappointed that we didn't find out what the creature was or why, but I think it's more effective that way.

Oh and what an interesting planet- covered in diamonds with a waterfall of sapphires. Havn't seen that before either.

You really have to admire Dr Who for always coming up with original ideas like that.

And next week looks amazing.

Comment

That was actually really scary. Not just an 'enemy within' thing, but 'the enemy is us'. It was a really interesting exploration of how quickly people can turn on each other, how quickly morals and ethics and civilised behaviour can break down. Who was it who said that civilisation is only three hot meals away from chaos or something like that?

I can see why Donna wasn't there, the story wouldn't really have worked with Donna there, because you never would have believed that the Doctor was in danger - there's no way anyone would have been throwing the Doctor out of an airlock with Donna around! But it's a shame, I love Donna so much any episode without her in is a bit of a letdown.

And Rose! Rose again! And she was definitely shouting 'Doctor' not 'Donna'! Eeeee!

And how awesome does next week look? *flails*
      He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
      He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
      And he's wonderful.

Comment

That was an awesome, really tense and freaky episode. And really, for a sci-fi show, very little actual sci-fi involved. Strip away the setting (alien planet) and the concept that whatever affected Sky was some kind of alien and you've basically got a story about human nature, about fear and paranoia and pressure and about how horribly quickly humans can turn to voilence as the answer. In effect, all Sky/the creature did at first was repeat everything they said and that was enough for them to start talking about throwing her out! Okay, it *was* damn creepy when she did that but still!

I'd been looking forward to this episode after what I'd read about it being something different, something very tense and scary etc and it absolutely did not disappoint. It was creepy as heck and very claustrophobic and just goes to show you don't need big bangs and spaceships and special effects to make absolutely gripping television. I rather like that it left things unanswered too - we still don't know what that creature was or what it wanted.

On a side note, I wanted to flipping smack those parents - they were the worst of the lot, freaking over the slightest thing and casting aspersions at the drop of a hat!
        sigpic

Comment

(copied from my brief comments on another forum)

This series hasn't exactly blown me away but "Midnight" tops every other episode this year and every single ep we've seen from Russ since the show started. It's about bloody time, but he's played to his strengths here and it worked perfectly. He got the plot down, nice and simple and turned it into a psychological, claustrophobic episode rather than his usual "explosions and running" style. Great dialogue and a fantastic (yet simple) enemy backed it up with some terrific guest characters. Marvelous.
          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Normally I would be the first to defend RTDs eps, well mostly but this one just felt like the filler ep it was, the give CT a break ep if you will.

I have seen so many movies, TV shows over the years deal with this situation, most recently an ep of CSI, it just felt like RTD gave us nothing new here. If anything this one annoyed the heck out of me, there was no real sense of caring from anyone but The Doctor, and that is not new for him.

Human nature being what it is, well this ep was predictable, we knew what would happen and if you didn't know, you haven't been watching this show or any other.

I would have found it more interesting for The Doctor to have been thrown off, then not die and then learn more about whatever the 'creature' was... now that would have been scifi! This was nothing more then run of the mill drama. Run of the mill filler. Run of the mill, give a lead actor, a week off eppy.

So far this has not been a stellar series 30/4

Next week...
            Spoiler:
            I really hope Rose and The Doctor don't meet (although I do want to stop the shipping!)

It seems likely that something has happened to him and in the end that is why all the companions have to come together. That would be interesting to see them without The Doctor in the mix.

Not sure what the thing on Donna's back is meant to be, hmm, should be fun to find out.

Comment

Huh. I wasn't as blown away by the ep as some obviously were. The copying thing was kinda interesting, but the mob mentality thing has been done many times before and I didn't really feel that this ep brought anything new to the table in that regard. Plus it underscores a theme that I feel is becoming more and more obvious: humans are monsters. It kinda makes me wonder why the Doctor bothers with us at all. For every "good" person out there it seems like there are whole groups who are awful. Or maybe the Planet of the Ood thing bothered me even more than I realized.

I'd also like to know more about the entity. Yes, I get that it's supposed to be mysterious, but it had to have some kind of physical body in order to be pounding on the hull- and quite a powerful one if it could dent the side of the ship and smash open the cockpit. And yet it winds up being more like a thought virus, taking over the mind of Skye and then leaching the Doctor's energy. Or are we meant to believe that a big, malevolent thought smashed up the ship? What was the shadow the mechanic saw, then? And how come, in all this time, no one has ever encountered the creature(s) before? Because it's the sole entity on the entire planet and never ranges beyond that particular diamond field? The masses of hot-blood life in the resort were never enough to draw it closer? It never drew closer to the tour craft's normal route? What about that field was so extraordinary that it not only spawned this lifeform but kept it trapped within such a small range? How did it manage to affect the engines? And cut the wires? Heck, how did it even know to do these things? And why strip the covering off the chairs? I suppose it could be a side effect, but why? And how did it leave Skye undamaged? I should think her clothes, at least, would be a bit torn even if the entity needed Skye herself to be whole.

What was Skye's problem, anyway? Why was she so convinced that "it" was coming after her? I didn't quite follow all the dialogue in that scene, I think she was screaming something about her ex, but why would she (or anyone) want her dead?

And if anyone tells me I'm "overthinking" things I'll punch them in the nose. If I see something I don't understand, it raises questions. Those questions lead to MORE questions and soon I've taken the whole whatever apart and am surrounded by random bits and question marks.

Comment

Pretty average episode really. Reminded me a bit of 42. I was a bit disappointed that the Doctor was never able to communicate with it, so we never actually found out anything about it, what it wanted etc etc. I find it really annoying when things are left unexplained. Going by the preview, next weeks episode looks much more interesting.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                  Normally I would be the first to defend RTDs eps, well mostly but this one just felt like the filler ep it was, the give CT a break ep if you will.
                  It's the double banked one, was shot at the same time as Turn Left,so CT was unavailable.

On to the episode itself - WOW! That's all I can say. Seriuosly. I'm usually in love with RTD episodes and this was no exception - creepy and scary - I think this is the first time I've been properly scared of Doctor Who, even more than them statues. Also, quite RTDish - very different to anything else we've ever seen in DW and well, no other writer would have dared saying the things he did about the human race in this episode. I hope that when he leaves and Moffat takes over that aspect of DW remains - that they're not afraid to go experimental. As for the mob, I think the mob mentality in this episode is different because of DW's attitude towards people - they're usually going on all about how humans are amazing and great and the things they can do, like LotTL - and now backing up the Master's claim of "greatest monsters of them all", in a way.
                  Poor Doctor. With all his belief in people and his being used to always be in control in the situation, this time he had neither. No wonder he was so shaken in the end - being possessed, have a bunch of stupid humans refuse to listen to you and becme murderous! *pats Doctor*

Oh, and how's that for a depressing view of the future - there's a leisure palace in a different planet and kids are still going emo!
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                    As for the mob, I think the mob mentality in this episode is different because of DW's attitude towards people - they're usually going on all about how humans are amazing and great and the things they can do, like LotTL - and now backing up the Master's claim of "greatest monsters of them all", in a way.
                    Poor Doctor. With all his belief in people and his being used to always be in control in the situation, this time he had neither. No wonder he was so shaken in the end - being possessed, have a bunch of stupid humans refuse to listen to you and becme murderous! *pats Doctor*
                    Exactly! New Who has always been about the fact that the evil humans have been in the minority. Yes there have been people who have done terrible things like the Ood guy but there have always been good humans as well doing the right thing such as the Freinds of the Ood guy, or Lynda with a Y. This episode was different, because everyone was part of the mob. Even the air stewardess who saved the day had earlier been chanting to throw skye out along with the others and if not for the Doctor saying Alons-y earlier she probably would have let him die.

Comment

Even the air stewardess who saved the day had earlier been chanting to throw skye out along with the others and if not for the Doctor saying Alons-y earlier she probably would have let him die.
                      Yup. But that IMO enables a more positive view of things. The stewardess was the first to say "throw her out", and we had no way of knowing if she was saying it as a frightened person wanting to save her own skin, or as the last remaining person who was actually officially responsible for anything, trying to protect her passengers. The way she said it made me think the former, at the time.

It was certain that two men were dead, and for all the 'mob' mentality that was going on (Lindsey something, that was Carole-from-Eastenders' name, I think) there was a rational basis for believing the rest of them to be in danger.

The stewardess proved that ultimately, her morals were sound: she was as ready to let herself be the innocent one who got killed to save the rest as to let it be someone else. Who knows, if it had been one of the others who had that epiphany from the "Allons-y" then maybe they'd have done the same thing. Of course, none of them got the chance to redeem themselves, so they remain unredeemed; but as to the Doctor's view of humanity, I'm sure that the stewardess did a lot for the cause of humanity as a whole.

What I can see that a lot of people (here and elsewhere) got out of that was "Humans: hysterical, pack mentality, persecute the outsider", which was certainly there, but the stewardess showed that self-sacrifice is there too.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                        I would have found it more interesting for The Doctor to have been thrown off, then not die and then learn more about whatever the 'creature' was... now that would have been scifi! This was nothing more then run of the mill drama.
                        Are you familiar with Rendezvous With Rama? I'd like to think RTD did that sort of thing intentionally. Something so advanced, something so "out there" that no one is going to work it out, not without significant studying. It just makes things realistic and that little bit more interesting IMO. If The Doctor were to know everything or even to work out things on first meeting, it would almost totally defeat the purpose of him travelling.

I loved it though. A great episode. So many things made me a laugh, think or be just plain weirded out.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                          What I can see that a lot of people (here and elsewhere) got out of that was "Humans: hysterical, pack mentality, persecute the outsider", which was certainly there, but the stewardess showed that self-sacrifice is there too.
                          You have a point there, but I think it's not because she was meant to show the regular heroic people we see on Doctor Who. I think the point was "even good people can do horrible things" - much lie Jethro's part. A good, smart kid, who didn't want to have anything to do with it but gave up to his mother at least on two crucial occasions - when he says he doesn't know if the thing moved and she goes "don't be stupid, of course it has" and then when he helps them drag the Doctor, a second after he said he doesn't want to murder anyone and wno't take any part in this... Much like DeeDee actualy who kept on going back and forth from ebing scared and wanting it to go away to try and point out it can't be the Doctor etc. - What I got from it is "Humans: hysterical, pack mentality, persecute the outsider - no matter who they are when they're alone."
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Did anyone find it interesting that though the mother kept screaming at people to throw the Doctor off the ship, when everyone tried to do so and needed more hands to help, she didn't do anything? She couldn't bring herself kill someone, but she was fine with driving her husband and son to it

Comment

i think this thing has been lonely in the land for quite sometime

and that professor said nothing can live on the surface, then i thought what about underneath the ground

good episode
                              sigpic

Comment

Did anyone find it interesting that though the mother kept screaming at people to throw the Doctor off the ship, when everyone tried to do so and needed more hands to help, she didn't do anything? She couldn't bring herself kill someone, but she was fine with driving her husband and son to it
                                Not jsut that... I also fond it quite telling that in the end when the Doctor asks for the Hostess names and they all go (well, silently with their faces) "OMG I've no idea" she just shrugs it off and doesn't seem to care much.
                                I guess it's also a part of the exterme realism of human behaviour in this episode. Good people can become frightening pack animals, too, but you still have those people who without being scared to death are still monsters.
                                Yes, I am!
                                sigpic
                                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                                X