No announcement yet.

Forest of the Dead (3009/409)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't hate me, but this ("Silence" & "Forest") is the first time that I've really, really liked the new Doctor Who episodes. It might be because I'm a fan of Alex Kingston from her days on ER, but I actually made it a point to be home to watch these two. I've seen several episodes before, but this one was just brilliant to me.

I looked at the clock at 8:10 and was amazed that only 10 minutes had passed.

LOVED IT!

Comment

Another convert.

I avoid spoilers for Who and had NO idea Dr. Corday was in these episodes, so I was pleasantly surprised.

So, the knowledge of the Doctor's future is in a consciousness housed in a living computer on a planet infested by flesh-eating aliens potentially in any shadow? Sounds like a prime target for the Daleks to invade, or anyone with a sealed non-organic hull...

And speaking of the Vashta Nerada, how long can they live / go without food? Without people or animals [I realize it's a whole planet, but I assume it was constructed, like the moon] to eat, how long can they survive? They lived a century between the 'saving' of the library browsers and the coming of the Doctor without food, so they should last at least another one. But the planet will be effectively cut off and quarantined, they won't get any more meat.
      Last edited by nx01a; 28 June 2008, 07:32 AM.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Also, and again don't hate me, but I like Donna Noble better than the two previous companions.

Comment

Bless. Bless.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            And speaking of the Vashta Nerada, how long can they live / go without food? Without people or animals [I realize it's a whole planet, but I assume it was constructed, like the moon] to eat, how long can they survive? They lived a century between the 'saving' of the library browsers and the coming of the Doctor without food, so they should last at least another one. But the planet will be effectively cut off and quarantined, they won't get any more meat.
            Hibernation. It's why people were OK in the Library at first, too. At least I assume that people were wandering around and browsing and that it wasn't the grand opening or whatever. Then the Vashta Nerada woke up and attacked... and when the food was gone they went back to sleep. Until more meat showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              Hibernation. It's why people were OK in the Library at first, too. At least I assume that people were wandering around and browsing and that it wasn't the grand opening or whatever. Then the Vashta Nerada woke up and attacked... and when the food was gone they went back to sleep. Until more meat showed up.
              The Doctor mentioned that CAL teleported everyone when the Vashta Nerada reached their 'hatching cycle', so I assume that was the first time they emerged. I guess they could hybernate, but that'll be one looooooong hibernation. Then again, as long as there're archaeolgists willing to break quarantines to investigate stuff, they'll have a snack here and there.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I'm sure I've read of some species of fish or frog or something that can hibernate for years in the mud/dirt after a pond dried up only to "thaw out" years later when there was enough rainfall to restore them. Or maybe bacteria or something. *shrug* Dunno. For me it isn't very high on the scale of Impossible Things. I've seen things on the show I've found MUCH harder to accept, scribble monsters being only one of them.

Comment

Oh no you DIDN'T mention 'Fear Her'! Next thing you'll be citing 'Love and Monsters'...

I agree, it's a minor thing, but it just had me thinking.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Last night went and saw Billy Joel in concert (sang ALL his old stuff - AMAZING) - however...with all the lighting effects -at one point during the show all there was was a single spotlight beaming down on him - and all was well till i notices all the swirls of smoke and whatever floating around in the beam of light....all I could think was how many Vashta Nerada are here with me right now....hope their not hungry...
                    sigpic

Comment

Not every shadow, but any shadow.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                        Oh no you DIDN'T mention 'Fear Her'! Next thing you'll be citing 'Love and Monsters'...
                        I was going to, but fortunately I worked out this cozy theory where the end of L&M never happened and Elton was just mad with grief and pretending crazy things.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          I was going to, but fortunately I worked out this cozy theory where the end of L&M never happened and Elton was just mad with grief and pretending crazy things.
                          I read your theory. I, too, find it comforting. I have a theory that Chloe's Dad in 'Fear Her' was actually The Beast.

I'm quite glad I don't have to delude myself with anything for recent episodes, like this great 2 parter.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

So what is the Doc's name?

Anyone have ideas?
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                              Also, and again don't hate me, but I like Donna Noble better than the two previous companions.

I think Donna is the best companion they've ever had on Who
                              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                                I think Donna is the best companion they've ever had on Who
                                Spoiler for "Journey's End", though I doubt anyone's not seen it by now:
                                Spoiler:
                                The writers should be flogged for what they did to her at the end of the episode!

Comment

Working...
                                X