Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mamid View Post
    Spoiler:
    Maybe his daughter was born to a human woman, not necessarily Rose.

*waves hand in the air Jedi style...* the 90's movie did NOT happen. Doctor is 100% Gallifreyan!
    Spoiler:
    Maybe they have children the same way we do, but only special ones get to look into the vortex. and those that do, no matter where they are in their class status on Gallifrey become Timelords. Or, upon looking into the vortex, their reaction gives them their status. The wrong reaction, and you are not a Timelord. So since Gallifrey isn't supposed to be around anymore, she can't and so she won't be a Timelord.

Spoiler:
    I think she might be Romana's daughter too. That would Rock. I just don't want her to be a clone.
    Spoiler:

The Doctor said to ROSE "I was a dad once" which would imply if this is the same daughter, which it probably is, it is definitely not Rose's.

Sorry, but the movie IS canon, and I don't see what's wrong with the good Doctor being half human, it would explain a lot.

As for Romana's daughter, that is the only relationship I'd be happy with. But I suspect she's Susan's mother.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
      Maybe they have children the same way we do, but only special ones get to look into the vortex. and those that do, no matter where they are in their class status on Gallifrey become Timelords. Or, upon looking into the vortex, their reaction gives them their status. The wrong reaction, and you are not a Timelord. So since Gallifrey isn't supposed to be around anymore, she can't and so she won't be a Timelord.
      This one has my vote... except for the fact that--

Spoiler:
      Susan was with the First Doctor and got this whole "grandfather" thing started. Susan may or may not be a Time Lord... I was never really clear on that one.. My vote would be yes, except we don't know enough about Susan to know-- for example-- if she went to any of the Academies.

I guess what I'm getting at is that there had better be a good explanation-- better than "Northern Klingons"-- or I'm going to be seriously disappointed.

"That's what you get for dicking around"--Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Originally posted by Mamid View Post
        [SPOILERS]
        *waves hand in the air Jedi style...* the 90's movie did NOT happen. Doctor is 100% Gallifreyan!
        Family of Blood says that their was a Doctor played by Paul Magaan.

Comment

SHHHHH! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! THERE WAS NO MOVIE IN THE 1990s!

Madeleine

Comment

Oh yes there was Mads

And it was about time.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Had there been a movie in the 90s, it would have been about Time (Lord(s)).

Fortunately, there was no movie. Never. Never ever.

And even if there were, there would have been no stupid lines about the Doctor being half human. Or Eric Roberts as the Master, coming to think of it.
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                Good conclusion to part one...

though the burning off the gas in the atmosphere was a bit suspect, normally burning off a an atmosphere results in a dead world

Pvt. Ross Jenkins died There goes my hopes for him as companion in season 5
                Ross SO seemed like companion material! I hope he has a counterpart in Rose's reality!

The gas bit was definitely suspect, as was how that human-made [albeit genius human made] device managed to do that, even with Time Lord tinkering. I thought the Doctor would use the energy pulse from the light of the Tardis to affect the ATMOSphere, like he did to make it snow for Donna in 'The Runaway Bride'. Perhaps the highest concentrations were really high up in the ATMOSphere? Still, all of our oxygen should have burned along with it. BUT we were dealing with exotic alien particles with properties as-yet unknown to human science... Eh. Leave it alone. The SFX was the best I've seen on the show to date.

The idiot genius sacrificing himself was obvious [but he went out degrading his enemy with their own warcry], as was the idiot Doctor attempting to reason with a race he knows can't be reasoned with, fight a race he says can't be fought and won't surrender. He really just wants something to die for...

ROSE!!!!!!!!

Donna's family is great! Axe-wielding mom! Alien-friendly gramps! Hammer-wielding Donna! Cellphone-wieding Donna! In all honesty, I hope she and her family are the ones who don't get completely screwed over by encountering the Doctor. Rose and Martha and their loved ones went through hell because of him, and I'd hate that trend to continue.

I'm wondering how the people of Earth can carry on normal lives when they're under attack at least twice a year: once at xmas and then at mid-season. The environmental note this episode follows nicely on Donna's comments on the Oodsphere about pollution being considered such a problem in her time.

"The Doctor's wife."

The modified guns and the Valiant! I LUV humans! The energy weapon on the Valiant was unexpected; I was looking for crappy railguns or something. It looks like the same effect as the Torchwood energy weapon in the first xmas special; the same technology, perhaps. Using the Valiant's engines to remove the gas was a good idea, temporary but good.

The nations of the world uniting for a joint nuclear strike... Brilliant. And the North Koreans DO have nukes! And ICBM ones at that!

The Doctor's hand in the jar was bubbling as the Tardis was dragged away. The same proximity thing that Capn Jack used to tell when the Doctor was near? What if another subject with the same DNA made it react similarly? Or with half the same DNA? It's a pity the title of the next eps already spoilered that for me.

Poor Martha. Her first mistake was getting back inside the Tardis. The theme of this episode appears to be the stupidity of otherwise apparently smart people.

BRILLIANT episode!!! More of the same!
                Last edited by nx01a; 22 May 2008, 01:30 PM.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

It wasn't until I caught the rerun of Sontaran Stratagem that I realized that the Doctor actually uses the mallet that Donna snags for use in this ep. Sneaky prop foreshadowing.

Comment

I liked that she had the two hammers to choose from. I wonder why she chose that one? Hey, if the Doctor uses it, it must be good! Sonic hammer.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                      I liked that she had the two hammers to choose from. I wonder why she chose that one? Hey, if the Doctor uses it, it must be good! Sonic hammer.
                      Bigger is better. Why hit someone with a hammer when you can hit them with a mallet instead?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                        Bigger is better. Why hit someone with a hammer when you can hit them with a mallet instead?

Because you could pierce the flesh and bone with a hammer and not with a mallet...?

Sorry... was that violent of me?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

Because you could pierce the flesh and bone with a hammer and not with a mallet...?
                          But if you are scared that you might miss (and therefore be killed), you might choose the mallet to give yourself a larger weapon. A hit is more likely then.
                          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

This two-part story was ok. It wasn't my favorite, but I didn't hate it either.

The Good:

Donna! I really like her. She thinks, takes risks, and considers her choices carefully. I appreciate that she was at risk to save the world, not because she wandered off.

Martha: Although she didn't do much in the second half, I liked her new ability to talk to the Doctor as an equal rather than as a someone begging for his attention. I especially liked her "take me home now" at the end. She can finally talk back to him. It's about time.

Both companions interacting: The new team has merit. I liked that Martha hugs him, and Donna slugs him. Each companion has a unique role right now, and they work side by side.

The Bad:

The Sontarans: Potatoe aliens don't do much for me. Especially, little warrior ones without a good reason to fight (until way to late in the two episodes). They reminded me of little yipping dogs. The lame war chant didn't help. I've heard better war chants before.

The Super-Smart-Yet-Stupid Kid: He was rude, ridiculous, and cliche, which made him boring. He was too predictable.

The Doctor: While I generally liked him, I didn't care for his multiple attempts to reason with the Sontarans. I appreciate that he gave them a chance, but then he made a spectacle out of the darn button. Push it and save the earth or don't. I don't want DT to regerate (most days), but I was definitely going "Push the Button already!" I found the moment annoying instead of climatic.

The Science: I can let it go, but I agree that the burning atmosphere plan wasn't the greatest plot device.

I wasn't particularly looking forward to this two-parter, so I'm not horribly disappointed. The episodes were ok, but I'll probably skip the them once the DVD comes out. I'd rather see the two-parter from SM. It will be here soon enough.
                            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

If she's aiming for a small bit on the back of someone's neck armor, the mallet is definitely the way to go. Bigger surface area means if her aim's a little off she'll still hit the target area.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                                (and no I don't think a woman is called a Timelady, Romana is always refered to as a Timelord not a Timelady)
                                Actually, Romana was referred to as a "Timelady" by the fourth doctor. I can't be sure of the episode (I really want to say "Shada"), but it was when they were in a cafe on Earth, and an artist had drawn Romana's portrait with her face as a clock. The Doctor commented that it was an appropiate picture of a Timelady..or something to that effect.

Anywho...loved the episode this week. Favorite line...
                                "You're brilliant, you are."
                                "Shut up."

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

Working...
                                X