No announcement yet.

Planet of the Ood (3003/403)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not too sure about this episode, Catherine Tate was wonderful as usual and so was Tim McInnery (I wonder if Mr Halpen's first name is Percy) The story was so-so, just your average Evil-humans-enslaving-a-peaceful-race episode

As for the Doctor's Song ending maybe it refers to his Song of Sadness which could mean one of several things
    Spoiler:
    Rose coming back, Another Timelord being found or a way to bring Gallifrey back

Comment

Very good episode. Loved it. Am really loving the relationship between the Doctor and Donna as well. She's what he really needs atm, a mate.

As with the end of his song, I hope its not a DT leaving the show. Would be a shame, but interesting to know what it is.
      Spoiler:
      The music was (I think) Rose's theme because it was played in PiC when Rose is shown...

Overall good episode. More tension between the Doctor and Donna and another bee reference. Hmm.

On another note, Yay Martha next week. But with Martha back, does that mean no more just Doctor and Donna eps?
      Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
      LOVE HIM-> DT
      ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

Originally posted by Hulabaloo View Post
        On another note, Yay Martha next week. But with Martha back, does that mean no more just Doctor and Donna eps?
        She's not back for good. Donna is still the companion for all of Season 4.

General Season 4 casting spoilers:
        Spoiler:
        Martha is back as a guest star in just a few episodes (I think 4?) including the Sontaran 2 parter and some eps near/at the end of the season.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hulabaloo View Post
          Very good episode. Loved it. Am really loving the relationship between the Doctor and Donna as well. She's what he really needs atm, a mate.

As with the end of his song, I hope its not a DT leaving the show. Would be a shame, but interesting to know what it is.
          Spoiler:
          The music was (I think) Rose's theme because it was played in PiC when Rose is shown...

Overall good episode. More tension between the Doctor and Donna and another bee reference. Hmm.

Spoiler:
          I think theres four more episodes with just Donna and the Doctor in this season

Marthas in the next three episodes and the finale along with pretty much everyone else
          A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

1. First time we've really seen humanity as the bad guys in New School Who. A bit wierd, you weren't sure who to root for because let's face it, red-eye Ood are psycho!

2. Not as wierd as a human turning into an Ood though.

3. Pair point on the projectile weapons thing - then again Halpern did seem to like doing things the old fashioned way.

4. Getting absorbed by a giant brain is an ugly way to die.

And this was a very good ep. It'll be interesting to see why Martha's "calling you back" though!
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

So far I have to say that this series makes me really happy. Lots of action in this episode surrounding a serious topic. Slavery. When the manager cruelly announces that he going to gas the whole lot - it worked in the past of human history after all too, it made my skin crawl since the references to the death camps was quite evident. Donna is really wonderful. she is funny and she doesn't take any crap from the Doctor. It looks like he is enjoying it too. It makes him a bit more humble and deflates his ego ;-)

The music from Murray Gold was wonderful in this episode and the song of the Ood reminded me of Tom Twyker's "Girl with the Plums" theme from "The Perfume" I can't wait for the third album to be released after the series

About the ending:

"And what about you? We have still room for you in our song." "No thank you I have a song of my own." "I think, Your song must end soon." " Meaning?" "Every song must end" and then we hear again the theme from Rose. Earlier on when he helps Donna to hear that heartbreakingly sad song of captivity and sorrow, he said to the distraught Donna that he hears that song all the time. We know that deep inside is a very lonely, sad man who lost everything , so yes he has a song like the Ood and I guess that the song will end means that he will finally find some closure in regard of the last Time War and also Rose. Also it seems to be important to be remembered. So far the constant theme was that both Donna and the doctor are remembered by the people they leave behind.
              He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
              He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
              And he's wonderful.

Comment

Great episode and quite moving in parts. The Ood are a very interesting and clever creation. Carrying the brain around in your hand must get a bit inconvenient at times though!!

The bees vanishing gets a mention again as well....hmmmm...they're gonna be doing something with this further down the line aren't they?!!

"Your song must end soon"....oooh what does that mean?!! See, that's what I love about this show. It keeps throwing little things like this and the bees into the storyline and then that gets you imagining all sorts of scenarios for upcoming episodes!!!

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. Now this is what New Who is about, a bit dark, bit scary (for the kids) and a bit grey with the morals but they talked about it, they don't just do something and not say why they are doing it. Nothing is black and white... but they give you reasons. Although really? The Doctor in "Impossible Planet" & "The Satan Pit" didn't wonder if The Ood were slaves? Whether they had any real free will at all?

Oh - Kay.

The actual story was fairly good, typical humans once again exploiting others for their own gain. Will we ever learn? No of course not. There were some things that were a bit silly, a giant brain with no fluids? It would dry out surely? So would the ones they carry in their hands, not to mention being susceptible to diseases and viruses. But yeah, OK aliens it could happen I suppose.

I was a bit surprised by the death toll, yet again a lot of folks getting killed here and was I the only one who thought the guy who chased The Doctor with the claw thing (I don't know what they are called) was a bit OOC, well for a guy we hardly knew? I mean he seemed to go a bit nuts! lol

I liked that the bees were mentioned again, but could they be a red herring? I know we encounter
                  Spoiler:
                  a giant bee like thing in one episode,
                  it is in the trailer so maybe the mentioning of the bee is stand alone to the other thread running through the series... eg Rose and what she has to do with The Doctor and things ending, she is coming and all the other hints. I admit to being intrigued but also annoyed. I hate puzzles, especially when I know I will not be given all the pieces until it is too late to make anything of them.

Donna was good, a bit too much over acting coming to the forefront with some of her delivery of lines, I am not familiar with her comedy show but I assume some of her 'characters' do get a bit forceful (loud) when speaking. The opening bit in the TARDIS stands out as too full on to me, and as someone said last ep they need to stop with the 'no we are not together in that way' stuff or it will be just as bad as all the shipping that went on and all the crushing that went on, in previous series. Just, you know stop. We get it.

Donna not attracted to the gorgeous Timelord as played by David Tennant.

Although I loved her response to being called "Miss" by The Ood. That was so Donna.

Next week:
                  Spoiler:
                  I was so looking forward to the Sontarans return but now it is a Martha episode I am not so sure, also they look and sound so different... one of the things I loved about the original appearance of Linx in Classic Who was that his appearance was left until the end of *think* first ep of the story. It was rather shocking to a little girl I can tell you. But here there is no mystery they put it in the trailer! Also they sound more like humans, Linx almost laboured to speak, he was hairy and his tongue was also strangely scary to me... don't ask I just wonder if the scary about these newer versions will be more what they do rather then how they go about doing it. Like so many things these days.

Comment

Dam another Great episode, the stories always seem so new and original which is great!

Looks like the Ood storyline is over now, which is a shame as I rather liked them!

"Your song must end soon".... Very intresting! I wonder what that means? I loved how the Ood just sad it almost out of the blue, traking both the Doctor and me (the audience) by suprise!

Also like the disappearing planets from the last two episodes, this is the 2nd time this series that the "saved people" have remembered the Doctor and Donna, and hat the Disappearing Bees have been mentioned! I wonder if they mean anything aswell?

Maybe all the "wee will remember you" stuff will come together to make clues in time and space for Rose, or someone else like The Master? Just an Idea!
                    sigpic
                    Banner Made By Me for Me
                    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                      probably just me but they were in the yaer 41something and they still had projectile weapons, for a race that has biusness with 3 other galaxies they dont have anything like plasma guns or something
                      I noticed that as well. But then the AK-47 was still going strong in the year 100 trillion
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elinor View Post
                        Great episode and quite moving in parts. The Ood are a very interesting and clever creation. Carrying the brain around in your hand must get a bit inconvenient at times though!!

The bees vanishing gets a mention again as well....hmmmm...they're gonna be doing something with this further down the line aren't they?!!

"Your song must end soon"....oooh what does that mean?!! See, that's what I love about this show. It keeps throwing little things like this and the bees into the storyline and then that gets you imagining all sorts of scenarios for upcoming episodes!!!

I also loved this episode for all the reasons stated above. I really like the way this series is progressing, and I think Donna is a great companion for the Doctor.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Donna leaving at the end of Season four
                          Spoiler:
                          What? No!!! Why can't they keep companions for long anymore? I'm also getting annoyed by the absence of proper companions in the Christmas Specials

This was the first episode of season four that I actually thought was good and has revived my hopes for the season. I still think the bee's are a red herring and will continue to insist this until the bee's actually appear, no matter how many times they're mentioned.

I personally reckon that this is how the Second Human Empire ends, freeing all the Ood would surely cause the economy to collapse.

How would evolution allow a creature with it's brain held in it's hands to survive?!

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            What? No!!! Why can't they keep companions for long anymore? I'm also getting annoyed by the absence of proper companions in the Christmas Specials
                            Spoiler:
                            Its understandable in Tates case though, she is very much a love her or hate her actress

This was the first episode of season four that I actually thought was good and has revived my hopes for the season. I still think the bee's are a red herring and will continue to insist this until the bee's actually appear, no matter how many times they're mentioned.
                            Im not so sure about that, I think they are related to something this season

I personally reckon that this is how the Second Human Empire ends, freeing all the Ood would surely cause the economy to collapse.
                            Indeed

How would evolution allow a creature with it's brain held in it's hands to survive?!
                            Thats a good question, perhaps they were created by another race who then died out before Humans found them.
                            A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Is it actually confirmed that
                              Spoiler:
                              Donna will be leaving after Season 4?

Well it's not a very hospital planet - maybe they evolved there in isolation with no natural predators?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                                Is it actually confirmed that
                                Spoiler:
                                Donna will be leaving after Season 4?
                                Yes apparently...

Spoiler:
                                She gets her memory wiped or something along those lines... I didnt read anymore than that for fear of getting over spoiled

Comment

Working...
                                X