No announcement yet.

Love & Monsters (2810/210)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked this episode. Which kind of surprises me because I don't usually like episodes that are mostly about the guest characters and not much about the regulars. But I thought they did a really good job of making me interested and care about these guest characters.

I liked the side of Jackie that was shown. How hard this really is for her having a daughter that travels all over in a spaceship/time machine.

Comment

Jackie is the one element from the Rose story that I just don't like. I really wish that she would have died in the Christmas Invasion or something. She was annoying in every episode she was in(except after she was Cybermanized, I liked her then ) and she continued to be annoying here.
      Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
      Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
      -Audioslave

Comment

I like this ep reminded of a William Hartnell ep I read about called Mission to the Unknown, sadly lost.
        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I realized why I don't like the monster from this ep. At the end, where he's in his true form, he reminds me of Fat B@stard from the Austin Powers movies, and I can't stand that character. One sour note in an otherwise good ep.

Comment

I didn't like the Abzorbaloff either, but I think part of it was Peter Kay. I know the ep was kind of a silly one but he made it SO over-the-top it was hard to enjoy. I got my mum to watch the ep this time around and as soon as Elton and Ursula go back into the building I told her, "And this is where it all starts to go wrong." The fact that it was also just a guy in a fat suit instead of a monster the size of a double decker bus (as the BP kid had originally planned) probably didn't help either. Not sure how they would have worked out the logistics of that, though. Maybe Blomites have the same kinda field whatses that Raxacoricofallapatorians did. Only better designed for the gas exchange.

Comment

Ok. I finally watched all of it. I only watched half last time.

It's ok if there is a defintion of ok that is between meh and bad. Parts of the episode were quite well done, but other piecers were rubbish.

Pluses:

Jackie. She can be annoying, but this time, it was nice to see how lonely she feels, and I agree, the scene with the pizza was amazing. I also loved the Rose was going to beat Elton up for messing with Jackie.

"Elton, Get a Spade." I remember thinking "huh?" The new Ursula is a bit weird, but at least, she lived.

Elton is ok in the end. I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Minuses:

LINDA took forever to get to the point. They were cute for about five minutes, and then, I either wanted the Doctor back or to watch them get eaten. They were even slow about being eaten.

The alien. Again, I agree with others. I'm not a Sliveen (SP) fan on a good day, but this didn't help. He just looked like a fat lump of something dying in the back the refrigerator on legs.

I missed the Doctor. I generally miss the Doctor when new episodes aren't on, but somehow this was worse because I could see the Doctor for only seconds at a time. Now we know how Tantalus feels.

Overall, I won't need to see it again, but my main problem with the episode is the ending. I like the conversation about the price of knowing the Doctor, but the episode felt weird when it ended. I found myself depressed, which isn't the point when I watch Doctor Who.
              "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by Josephine View Post
                I realized why I don't like the monster from this ep. At the end, where he's in his true form, he reminds me of Fat B@stard from the Austin Powers movies, and I can't stand that character. One sour note in an otherwise good ep.
                That was exactly what I thought.....

Odd ep, but not bad, I missed The Doctor though.

Comment

Oh dear, for me that was the worst episode since Dr Who returned.

Comment

This is a great episode! It's a wonderful commentary on Doctor Who fans. There are definitely parallels. Look at it like this:
                    • A person becomes involved with the Doctor / Doctor Who.

• This person follows him / the program and everything related religiously.

• They meet other like-minded people and form a group.

• Those group members become friends because of their regular meetings together.

• News about the Doctor become less and less frequent and any news that is heard proves false but the group remain friends, stay together and become more interested in music. / New developments about Doctor Who's return to TV screens become less and less frequent and any news that is heard proves false but the group remain friends and become interested in other sci-fi programs.

• A man named Victor Kennedy appears in the group and sparks new interest in the Doctor. / A new TV movie is in the works and sparks new interest within the group about Doctor Who.

• One member of the group follows a promising lead to the Doctor but it fails to pan out. / The TV movie airs in 1996 but it fails to be the starting of a new series.

• The Doctor is finally found and the man realises that life in the Doctor's world is so much better. / Doctor Who returns to British TV in 2005 and fans realise that TV is so much better with it back.

What I saw in Love & Monsters drew very close parallels to my life as a Doctor Who fan. I became interested in the program. I followed it until it was put on pause and somewhat beyond but I started to lose interest when there was little news about it's return. I was re-energised as a fan by the '96 TV movie. I joined a Doctor Who group and I'm now more a fan than ever since it's proper return in '05.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Well, I loved the ep, but that "parallel" seems like a bit of a stretch, especially the last one. I thought the whole point of the ep was that life in the Doctor's world wasn't wonderful and perfect, it was scary and dangerous and innocent people tend to get hurt.

As for how that compares to fandom, I shudder to think.

Comment

This episode easily beats "The Idiot's Lantern" for worse ever Dr. Who episode since it's return.

The girlfriend turning into a paving stone. That was a moment that sent shudders down my spine. What wicked things would her geeky boyfriend do with her. and what happens if they break up?
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Horrible episode. I liked it only slightly less than 'Fear Her'.

The whole 'limited sex life' crack was a bit much. He'd have to be a very small man to keep her like that, and the best she can do is lip service to the term.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                            Horrible episode. I liked it only slightly less than 'Fear Her'.

The whole 'limited sex life' crack was a bit much. He'd have to be a very small man to keep her like that, and the best she can do is lip service to the term.

But what happens if they break up?

Comment

He breaks her.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                                He breaks her.

Poor thing.......... What that would be kind of gory if he did that.

Come to think of that how does she stay alive. She can't eat, where would the food go?

Where is the poo? LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X