No announcement yet.

The Parting Of The Ways (2713/113)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved this one too. Hated to see CE leave. I was almost in tears myself, during the last few mins. when the Dr. was speaking.

Glad to see Jack is still alive. Is he coming back for the next set in the fall?

Comment

Wow...this was a very emotive and exciting episode! Emergency Program 1 was my favorite, I think. I was so scared when Jack got shot! I'm glad he's alive. BTW, did Jack have a thing for the Doctor, or is he just an affectionate guy?

Great episode!
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Fantastic episode! Living in the US, I grew up with Doctor Who, and that's the first time I've seen the Doctor regenerate standing up.

Off topic, but did anyone else have a problem with the commercial breaks every five minutes?

Comment

i really got in to this ep i felt sad when the doctor sent rose back to her own time. i like what jack said before he died i thought it was funny and im gald he came back to life. i hope some one rembers that they left him in that time.

i have 3 questions to the people who are watching season 2 all ready. is jack in season 2 and is the person who plays the doctor in season 2 good also when is season 2 going to air in the us

Comment

I loved this episode! Great setup in the first part last week, which totally paid off in this week's finale.

Well....the Daleks screeching Exterminte....Exterminate.....Exterminate....was plenty annoying. But otherwise, this was great stuff.

I was totally clueless as to many of the plot points and was shocked when Jack was killed (and then came back). And they left him there I love Jack. I hope we see him again.

Rose's union with the Tardis was unexpected and it was very satisfying to know that she was the source of the "Bad Wolf" clue that had been following them thru time. Kind of happy that the Doctor is the only one who remembers, though..I like Rose the way she is.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole hour and the end was brilliant. I knew CE was being replaced but didn't know it happened in this episode. His demise was as sad as his rebirth was uplifting.

I sure hope Scifi is going to show S2 of this show. If not, I'm going to have to find other means.
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

this was my first doctor who episode and WOW I've watched on and off this season but i watched this one from start to finish and again wow

sad to see the doctor died and regenerate i liked him
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

yes other means too bad i have dialup... *curses*

and i figured it out last ep that Rose was the bad wolf... but didnt really want to think...
                sigpic

Comment

Great episode! Just one question, is Jack coming back?

Comment

Yes, although you may have to wait quite a while. He's not in s28 at all, and the spinoff he's in hasn't even aired on the BBC yet - they're likely to show it in Autumn.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                      BTW, did Jack have a thing for the Doctor, or is he just an affectionate guy?
                      Jack has a thing for everyone.

I didn't mind the Daleks's repetitive "EXTERMINATE!" thing as it seemed in keeping with the species. I also liked the obvious but nifty bit with the Dalek hovering outside the window looking in at Lynda and it's little blinkers light up and you know it's saying, "EXTERMINATE!" Hee! There's something in the cadence of the Dalek voices that just makes my skin crawl...

Wonderful ep, still made me sniffly even though I knew what was coming. At least this time I managed to avoid the cold pit of horror when Jack died. *shiver* He's far and away my favorite character on the show. Can't wait for Torchwood!

So what's this rumor about Who's ratings on SCIFI being really bad? Are we gonna get S2 (or S28)? Or is this gonna be it for America? 'Cause while I don't mind finding alternative sources, it's great to see it on a bigger screen. And with closed caps on to catch the mumbly bits.

Comment

i want S2 (series 28).. but i guess thats really up to skiffy (as it is supposed to be their new series),
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          So what's this rumor about Who's ratings on SCIFI being really bad? Are we gonna get S2 (or S28)? Or is this gonna be it for America? 'Cause while I don't mind finding alternative sources, it's great to see it on a bigger screen. And with closed caps on to catch the mumbly bits.
                          I've been poking around a bit to see if there's any news on Scifi picking up S2 (or S28 for the purists) and found this blurb at

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php

June 7, 2006
                          Ratings for the twelfth episode of the first season of the new series, Bad Wolf, on US television on the Sci Fi Channel, have come in: the telecast dropped a bit to a 1.02 household rating with an average of 1.3 million viewers, down from the previous broadcast ("Boom Town") two weeks before and the smallest average audience to date for a Doctor Who original this season. The show was on a week-long hiatus, with viewers possibly tuning out after the lack of a broadcast the week before. Season-to-date, Sci Fi reports that Doctor Who is currently averaging a 1.27 household rating and an average audience of 1.5 million viewers for the season. The season finale airs this Friday, June 9.

Hopefully "The Parting Of the Ways" had a bunch of eyeballs (with boxes) glued to it so the ratings will be good. Those ratings certainly don't compare with BSG...or either of the Stargates' "new episode" ratings but then again I don't know what Scifi's expectations were. If they didn't pay that much for the broadcast rights then that might be a darn good showing for Doctor Who. Maybe they'll pick up S2 and air it with BSG in October. I can hope anyway.

So Captain Jack's getting his own series. I Jack...so I'll definitely give "Torchwood" a go. U.S. Scifi channel picking up that series will probably be iffy I suppose. But there are always alternatives I guess....R2 DVD's, moving to the UK, etc, etc
                          Last edited by keshou; 10 June 2006, 07:29 AM.
                          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Like it, glad to see the Doctor still has a line he won't cross
                            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by keshou:
                              Maybe they'll pick up S2 and air it with BSG in October. I can hope anyway.
                              Ooooo, that might be a dangerous combo. I only dread it based on most BSG comments I've encountered being anti-humor (which is what provoked much of the anti-SG comments), and DOCTOR WHO thrives on and enjoys its balance of seriousness with humor. To me, it wouldn't be DrWHO if it went overly (too) serious. The darkness is always there, but it needs the *light* (of hope and humor) too.

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod:
                              Doctor: "You know what they call me in the ancient legends of the Dalek homeworld? The Oncoming Storm. You might have removed all your emotions, but I reckon right down deep in your DNA there's one little spark left. And that's fear. Doesn't it just burn when you face me?"
                              I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the camera direction work was excellent during that little speech... Effective, subtle camera movements done using close-up shots to display the dalek's trembling *fear* via their eye-piece. Terrified Daleks trembling in their uncertainty of the Doctor's next move.

Loved the 2nd speech reactions when the Doctor told them (the lessor ranking daleks) to shut up, and they all quivered wheeling backward.

However, the Emperor Dalek didn't seem to fear the Doctor, tho. He/it sort of challenged him as his conscience. Also, rubber/latex props or not, the living part of the Daleks always did appear sick-looking.

Originally posted by in circles:
                              Definitely the best regeneration in the series too.
                              I was kinda hoping TPTB would have used the nanobot special effects and slowed the surge effect down a little bit to make it last longer. But as the Doctor implied, that transformation process can be pesky and spontaneous...

Originally posted by coolove:
                              ...when the Doctor wanted Rose to be safe and trapped her in the TARDIS for her own good. The look on his face, the painful cry in her voice. Damn, that's good television.
                              Yes, that scene for me was emotionally very sad. That also shows just how unpredictable the Doctor can be at times. One moment you think he's about to go one way, and the next moment, he switches directions so completely, that it nearly shocks you. His brilliance and deepest, hidden intentions should never be underestimated. Sometimes I forget, so I'm usually amazed. He goes into a Bi-polar effect, but in a good way.

Originally posted by ForCryinOutLoud:
                              This episode was brilliant all around. It's been two weeks for me and I'm still heartbroken. I know he's still the Doctor, but it just won't be the same without Christopher Eccleston.
                              Let me just say that I think CE gave it his all or very best - ALL the way to the very end. Every time the Doctor switches over to "a new face", I tend to expect nothing, but find myself amazed at each one of them and for different reasons...

Comment

one more... and I truly enjoyed discovering some of this...

Originally posted by LoneStar1836:
                                I don’t know what the Daleks were like in the previous series (I’ve read where some people didn’t find them all that scary), but they were downright menacing in this one.
                                an *important* DW rule of thumb to remember:
                                Never underestimate the hidden talents of a Dalek. In spite of how silly they might look on the outside at times -
                                ...oversized vacuum cleaners with toilet plungers for arms...
                                ...oversized salt and pepper shakers... pepperpots (whatever that is)
                                Daleks can be highly resourceful gadgeteers, and very smart, too! The lonely Dalek of the "Dalek" episode proved that when it knew how to mix a dangerous solution of water and electricity, and use it against the humans.

Personally, I don't remember that much about the earlier Dalek eps, except for the ones with Davros ruling. He's just very twisted and pure evil incarnate, and my favorite among the Dalek characters...

a tiny item... when I first saw the back of the Android in "Bad Wolf" - I thought it *was* Davros resurrected (shock/awe! *fear*!)... Sad that the 2nd row of incoming daleks blew up the Android and then nuked Jack.

Good tho that because of Rose, herself, the Tardis and the Time Vortex entity saved everyone good, tho. I *love* that TARDIS... more and more each year. It's more than just *any* ship... it's a very *special* living entity...
                                ...and is it just ironic that its *policing* the universe in "stuck mode" as a Police Box...?

What makes this TARDIS different or more special than that of the Master's, or the Rani, or any other Time Lord? Aside from model make and number, are they that much different from each other - obeying the commands of good vs. evil; and depending on the personality of the time traveller, always in a symbiotic relationship with them traveling thru time/space for whichever good or evil intention is given??

(To understand the above, remember this: In "Pyramids of Mars" Sutekh controlled the Doctor, and thus had control of the Doctor's TARDIS. Was the TARDIS then made evil, because Sutekh was evil, or simply a *prisoner* of that evil?)

Also, before too much speculation runs too rampid...
                                I'm a shipper and I have to say, I squeed when the Doctor kissed her. Loved it.
                                ...that *kiss* as being the Doctor's cure for Rose ~
                                {paraphrasing to Rose: "come here...You need a Doctor..."}

because she consumed the vortex, and its voice was speaking thru her... Well, aside from that *kiss* being compassionate, pure, and gentle, and aside from reading more into this than might be there ~ whether it was there or wasn't, that moment was mostly about the exchange of the vortex back to its rightful owner, location (IMO).

The actual special effects reminded me of being inspired from the movie:
                                "The Hidden" where the good alien was breathed out from one host into the new host as an energy life-force. I think this exchange was well done and visualized between Rose and the Doctor and back into the Tardis. (IMHO) Rose didn't pass out simply because she *kissed* Doctor; but because the energy force let her sleep after an exhausting journey.

It was the Doctor who said it wasn't meant for anyone to ever absorb that much energy (and power). Rose feeling the power of the Time Vortex didn't stop at the dalek killings, but after the overwhelming realization of time and life itself. And the Doctor sacrificed himself to restore the Vortex. If the Vortex itself is a living entity separate from the Tardis but always guiding it to guide its pilot, the Vortex's level of power is something the Doctor is always keenly aware of wherever he travels; and precisely why NO creature with evil intentions should ever gain complete access to the secrets of the TARDIS, itself. (!!)

I can't believe I went from "this is so-so" to complete and utter love in 13 episodes of this show.
                                that's what I thought when I first began watching the classic episodes, and in the middle of the storylines, too (started with Tom Baker's Doctor# 4). I haven't stopped since, either. Very addicting over *time*...

Comment

Working...
                                X