SyFy/Neilsen Caprica Rating Predictions/Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    Um, I don't understand ratings very much. What do you mean by spin?
    In laymen's terms it means to word the numbers in a positive or negative (this is rare light). If I say Caprica earned 1.5 million viewers that is just the facts. But when I start listing reasons or comparing the numbers to paint Caprica in a different light I'm spinning. The network is justfying their low Pilot numbers with the DVD realase of the pilot which is spin
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      In laymen's terms it means to word the numbers in a positive or negative (this is rare light). If I say Caprica earned 1.5 million viewers that is just the facts. But when I start listing reasons or comparing the numbers to paint Caprica in a different light I'm spinning. The network is justfying their low Pilot numbers with the DVD realase of the pilot which is spin
      From what I can tell, the theories for Caprica's low numbers were not written by the network but Robert Seidman of TVbytheNumbers. He is an independent ratings analyst and commentator. What he wrote struck me more as a hypothesis for the ratings numbers rather than reasons or excuses. He even said "there’s not much to be made from Friday’s numbers."

I tend to agree based on what was available to him, but I think other ratings analysis--probably not available to him--could at least solve the question of whether the Haiti special had any impact. Someone with access to Nielsen software--and I don't think Seidman does--could run the numbers by hour to answer that question.

Whether the early DVD's had an impact would be answered if the ratings rose next week.

Personally--and this is opinion--I don't think they should have had enough impact for it to only generate 1.6 million viewers. But, then, BSG didn't average much above that during it's final season on a Live + SD basis. It usually got a big DVR lift to Live + 7 (the biggest of any TV show according to Nielsen).

I also don't agree that ratings numbers should be given in a vacuum with no commentary at all. If you tell me a show has X number of viewers, I usually want an idea of how that compares to other shows on the network to sense whether that's good or bad.

Comment

Honestly 2 years ago, I would say Caprica is screwed and going to sink faster than the Titanic, but we are living in a different world. Shows like Stargate, BSG, and W13 have added so much to the on-line streaming, internet downloading, and DVR playback. It is just a different world now, but I don't think everyone is caught up yet in internet viewing as much as people think. 1.5 Million as they claim with DVD sales, itunes, streaming, and etc is not really a big number to me. With that said, I think shows like Caprica and SGU still need to perform well on TV. DVR and on-line viewing cannot be used as an excuse, because many shows should be still running if that was the case, if all those things truly all counted in the revenue.
        sigpic

Comment

Since this is a predictions thread, I predict Caprica will not last me than the current episode order.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
            Since this is a predictions thread, I predict Caprica will not last me than the current episode order.
            I would have to take your prediction and raise it by two since I agree.
            sigpic

Comment

I honestly don't see any Friday Syfy show doing well ratings-wise. Maybe Thursday? Or Monday?

Comment

I honestly don't see any Friday Syfy show doing well ratings-wise.
                SG-1, BSG, SGA and SGU all did fine.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                  SG-1, BSG, SGA and SGU all did fine.
                  But aren't the ratings quite low nowadays?

Comment

But aren't the ratings quite low nowadays?
                    Thats the thing. If we use modern standards (like say SGU and Sanctuary) Caprica's numbers were quite low. I don't think Sanctuary's End of Nights were this low and then you factor in this was the Pilot which tradationally have severely high numbers its boils down a bleak future. I'll wait to see future episode numbers before I put off Caprica
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Since this is a predictions thread, I predict Caprica will not last more than the current episode order.
                      I just want people to know that I don't say that as a BSG hater. I really liked BSG a lot. I haven't seen Caprica. It's just a combination of the first ratings and a perceived lack of buzz.

Comment

I just want people to know that I don't say that as a BSG hater. I really liked BSG a lot. I haven't seen Caprica. It's just a combination of the first ratings and a perceived lack of buzz.
                        Good thing you clarified that, because other than myself and some other posters people may think you are negative spinning to make the show look bad, but in reality you are just presenting the facts and what is there, like you do with the Stargate shows.
                        sigpic

Comment

Caprica No Ratings Juggernaut

Caprica’s episode on Friday night averaged a .5 rating with adults 18-49 and 1.411 million viewers. That compares with 1.6 million viewers and a 0.4 adults 18-49 rating for the pilot episode. But the pilot was two hours, and was widely available in a variety of ways (online, on-demand, DVD) well before the pilot actually aired.

It’s early, but those numbers strike me as a bit disappointing. I know, I know, just wait until the live+7 DVR numbers come in…
                          http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/02/01...ggernaut/40776

Comment

Caprica (9pm, 63 minutes)
                            - 1.411 million viewers
                            - 0.9/1 HH
                            - 0.5/1 A18-49

PI forum
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                              I predict a 1.1 HH number. Either way its bad for the episode after the pilot. Cancellation here we come
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I predict a 1.1 HH number. Either way its bad for the episode after the pilot. Cancellation here we come
                                I think it is more like a 1.0 HH rating. Yeah, I would not get too attached to this show. Not only were the total viewers low, but the age demos, although were up from the pilot.
                                Last edited by Briangate78; 01 February 2010, 02:27 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X