Resurrection Ship, Part 2 (212)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grover
    Kara didn't have all the info when she said those words at Cain's funeral.

1) Cain did flinch when she didn't order her XO to take out Adama.
    I don't think Cain did flinch because I don't think Cain ever really decided not to terminate Adama's command, as it was so delightfully put forth by her. I think it was good that it was shown her deciding to not go through with her decision at that moment, but I think in many ways that it was only a temporary decision on her part. I think she wanted to see how things would go with Adama first, now that she had first hand knowledge of how effective the two Battlestars are together, and then decide later on what to do with Adama. But I don't think she really flinched, or backpedalled in any way in making the decision to go through with it. She essentially made a non-decision.
    "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

I don't understand why you all are happy that Admiral Cain died. I loved her Caracter, and during the talk with Starbuck, and when that moment came I was crying. The moment Gaina shot her it left a profond mark on me. And I thought about for a long time. It was very sad, and I was very very mad at that stupid cylon!

Comment

I, too, was sorry to see the Blackbird go.

However, I think there is a reason why Laird, the Pegasus' civilian deck chief, was introduced in 2x10 as the engineer who designed the Blackbird's (albeit) old engines; methinks he will have a crucial role in the construction of Blackbird 2.0.

Comment

As usual BSG ups the ante on Friday nights in terms of the drama they put on screen. I LOVED 90% of this episode although a few scenes left me a little

*The actual battle itself was spectacular, although I was a little surpised everything went so well for the colonials. Other than the Blackbird it all went according to plan. The Cylons seemed less than invincible in this outing. The destruction of the Resurrection ship was expected but very eerie. Sorry to lose the Blackbird - I liked that little ship.

*As good as the battle was in space I was more interested in the battle of wills between Adama and Cain. I was on pins and needles waiting for the respective "assasination" plots to unfold. I was pretty sure Adama wouldn't go thru with it - especially after the memorable talk with Sharon - but Cain surprised me in this episode. I really thought her XO would be the one to call off the "hit", not her. But in the end I was happy to see her have a change of heart. Was it temporary? Probably. But it helped to temper Cain's darkside and made her seem much more real in the end. I'm sorry that character bit the dust as I would have liked to see her and Adama butt heads for a few more episodes.

*Kara was a bundle of nerves as she went to see Cain and I'm not really sure if she would have pulled the trigger or not. Her eulogy regarding Cain was interesting - she clearly came to admire her to a certain degree. Will this have a lasting impact on Kara? I think it may.

*Lee. Well, this was probably the most disappointing part of the episode. I'm not surprised he clashed with his father over the plan to eliminate Cain. I'm sure Roslin's stance also disappointed him. What was surprising was his "I'm ready to die" attitude in space. I'd seen the spoiler about Lee becoming suicidal but I found this setup to be contrived and unconvincing. Not to mention a little wussy as he didn't even want to fight to return to Pegasus to support Kara.

*Baltar/Gina. I wasn't shocked that Gina was the one to kill Cain. I figured that was going to be the case when they showed the scene of Cain kicking and spitting on Gina in the "previously on" intro. Poor "Six". She's being replaced by the real thing, it seems. Wonder where Baltar has stashed Gina?

*And what's up with Dee sneaking around and listening to Lee and Kara's conversation? Hated that.

*Roslin/Adama. MM and EJO were wonderful in that final scene. Adama's an Admiral now. I got all teary over that one and well as the kiss. Poor Roslin seems to be at death's door.

I adore this show - the story arc is compelling, the characters are complex and it always manages to pull me in emotionally.
          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by keshou
            *Roslin/Adama. MM and EJO were wonderful in that final scene. Adama's an Admiral now. I got all teary over that one and well as the kiss. Poor Roslin seems to be at death's door.
            Agree. And I've got to wonder how much of Adama's behavior is because he sees how close to death she is. Both in this episode and Resurrection Ship Pt1, he seems to be reaching out to her both because of the respect and admiration he feels for her and to offer her some comfort in her last days.
            Spoiler:
            Will be interesting to see how his behavior might change, if Roslin doesn't die soon.

Comment

Some series start out really strong--the writers unleash new, fresh, complex, compelling characters caught up in unusual circumstances and garnering all sorts of interest and empathy by their wit, their bravery, or even their weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Then the writers appear to lose steam along the way and tinker with the internal motivations so those things or persons that the character most desires becomes tainted or meaningless. Emotions and attitudes shift in inconsistent and unconvincing ways. Characters that had been full of passionate intensity cool to indifference and contempt. See, for example, any David Kelly series or "Moonlighting" as prime examples. The creative forces at work seem to lack a loyalty or interest in their own creations, and smack them around a bit simply because they can.

This kind of manipulation of the major characters hints at desparation, at least to me, on the writers part. Once a characters major arc of interest reaches a climax, the motivations that were driving him/her suddenly shift or are banked down. I think that this is a way writers try to avoid "jumping the shark", by always keeping the viewers off balance by denying stability to their main characters. I think I see a little bit of this tendency in the latest episodes.

I can understand Kara's mixed reaction to Cain. She stood ready, if not willing, to take her out on Adama's command, but had more than a few reasons herself for forming new loyalties to Cain. Cain had promoted her, saw her leadership potential as being undimished by her brashness and lack of military decorum (quite unlike Tigh, as a perfect counter-example, who demanded "by the book" behavior from his subourdinates without ever being able to exhibit such behavior himself). Cain was a mitigated horror, she keep up the good fight without upholding the values worth fighting for. Unflinching is the right word for her moral self-certitude. Cain's principal sin was her rigor which evolved into fanaticism, which seems to be the only unforgiveable sin for the series as a whole. We admire and respect Adama more because he does change his mind so many times. He actively seeks out the opinions of others. Despite initial resistance, he has found himself persuaded to change the course of his actions and his attitudes, even when listening to those he does not entirely trust (like Roslyn (initially), Duella, and Sharon. Strange and interesting that most of his reversals of opinion have come from the persuasions of women of his acquaintance).

Understandable, too, is Lee's reaction. He, too, overcame initial misunderstandings and emotional seperation from his father and had a profound reversal of affection only to find himself unable to support a decision by his father to conspire to assassinate a superior officer. The fact that Roslyn colluded in this scheme seemed to knock one of the last props from Lee's value-framework. The last bond was his personal affection for Starbuck, and that was tainted too by her role in the plot. It failed to sustain his will to go on.

The motivation, to me at least, that is the most puzzling is Baltar. In repeating the "You know what I miss most" conversation to Gina, Baltar has proven himself to be the consummate Betrayer. He has, by now, almost run out of individuals and entities left to betray (the colonies, the fleet, the command structure, Sharon, the President, and now, internal Six). Gina may be in a better place, physically, now that she's out of the Pegasus brig, but I cannot imagine a less reliable companion than Gaius Baltar. And all along the way he seemed vulnerable and "human" himself. Baltar's character, to me at least, is the most difficult to fathom. His behavior seems simply incomprehensible.

Comment

Originally posted by Taonas
                Such damn good TV... So well done..... Need more Galactica!

I really have no damn clue how they are going to top these three episodes ("Pegasus", "Resurrection Ship 1 and 2").

I have no words to describe how good this episode was and how much I am now looking forward to the rest of this season.
                When I watched the first two episodes of this season, Scattered and Valley of Darkness, I was blown away. I didn't think it could get any better and then they came out with Home Part 1 and 2, which was good but over all not as compelling as Scattered and Valley of Darkness.. but then they throw in Ressuerection ship.. wow amazing. I'm almost afraid of what's going to happen next !

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                Did anyone catch the little thing with Billy at the end. He was sitting in the Presidents chair. I thought that was a nice little bit to go along with what Adama said in Home
                Yes, i noticed that as well. At first, i was like.. did roslin die already and billy took over? what's great about BSG is that you like the secondary characters as much as the main ones. Billy, Dee, Gaeta.. all great secondary characters.. i wish we could see more of them, esp billy. But what happened with him and Dee. did i miss something? i thought things were all good between them 2

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze
                  Well you never know they could easily construct a new one. I'm suprised they never had anything stealthy that prior to these last few eps.

Oh I was thinking about this during the ep:

Ding dong! the witch is dead. which old witch? the wicked witch!
                  Ding dong! the wicked witch is dead.
                  Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
                  Wake up, the wicked witch is dead. she's gone where the goblins go,
                  Below - below - below. yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
                  Ding dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
                  Let them know
                  The wicked witch is dead!

ahh I feel much better now.
                  Here's what I think happened with the whole Cain thing.

1. Her family, friends, everyone she knows gets killed.
                  2. Commanding officer during a time of war with very little supplies and
                  personnel.
                  3. Massacre of 12 colonies at the hands of Cylons.
                  4. Massive shipboard casualties.
                  5. Perhaps she knew their were still humans living on the Colonies.
                  6. Die-hard patriotism.
                  7. Desperation

All Equal Hard-core b&*$(

I kind of was depressed that Cain died, cuz if it was true about her feelings towards going back to Kobol, I would have done the same. Those ships could be modified for war, guns, torpedo launchers, shields, etc. Also, while I can't condone what she did to Gina, it is partly understandable. Torture is the best means of extracting information (unless you use sodium pentathol, which may not work on her because of her anatomy, and the fact that she's a toaster). She needed information, so she had to get it. Desperate times, desperate measures.

Also, for the Cain backing down thing, perhaps she herself suspected that Adama was going to kill her and made her own plans. Adama backed down, and Cain backed down. End of story. While I'm not glad of what happened to Gina and to toaster-Sharon, especially the latter, and the information concerning Cain's actions towards the civilian group is not so great either, I saw her as someone who was so determined to fight back that she made mistakes (which we all do, imagine if you were in the same position as her, a heavily damaged battleship needing supplies to fight a war that would determine the course of the human race, with minimum crew (didn't something like 700 of her crew die?), minimum to zilch resources (her mistake in scuttling the ship for supplies was that she should have the spare parts used to build the parts needed for her ship instead of just taking them from the civ fleet, but time was perhaps a factor), fighting an enemy which just launched a massive genocide of the colonies. She didn't have the luxury of knowing other ships were out there, she didn't know what was going on.

As for manipulating Kara, I think it was more like she seeing a part of herself in her. Both were die-hard patriots, both wanted to kick the colonies the frak out of their homes, and both were willing to bend the rules to get what they wanted. Cain was fiercely dedicated to staying and fighting the Cylons, whereas Adama and Roslin were too busy making a run for a planet that may or may not have the technology to defend them when they arrive.

So yeah, Cain was a b*&^%, but she deserved every word at her funeral. She made mistakes, but so did a lot of people, not just her. She had the admiration of her crew (despite the fact that some were a**es.), and she helped lead a battle against the Cylons that bolstered both ships and the Colony fleet's morale.

People forget that sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. Cain had to make the decisions which very well could have kept her crew alive (giving the Colonies a fighting chance). She had no other option. We knew very little about her, other than the fact that she thought Adama and Roslin were too mushy with each other and didn't give a damn about fighting the Cylons. As for the whole Tyrol/Helo thing, she wasn't there to know about anything going on. What would you do if your home got wiped out, your sons or daughters dead, and you found out one of your officers got killed for sexually harrassing an enemy agent that belonged to a race that committed genocide. No one points themselves in Cain's position, so everyone criticizes her.
                  http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Cain
                    I don't understand why you all are happy that Admiral Cain died. I loved her Caracter, and during the talk with Starbuck, and when that moment came I was crying. The moment Gaina shot her it left a profond mark on me. And I thought about for a long time. It was very sad, and I was very very mad at that stupid cylon!
                    I was also sorry to see her character get killed off.

Comment

I am glad to see that there are still some people who are defending her. She was not a bad lady!

Comment

She wasn't as bad as I thought she was, but she was still too hardcore. She was like what Jack Bauer would be if he commanded a Battlestar in this situation...although I don't think he would leave people behind like she did and strip their ships. Not to mention shooting people's family's.

Sure she wasn't evil, but she wasn't exactly the good guy we are used to on Galactica either. I started liking her at the end of the episode though, but then she got plugged.

Michelle Forbes did a great job. I hope this gets her even more work in the future. Last time I saw her she was on 24, and I think she did the pilot to Global Frequency, based on the Warren Ellis comic.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                          Torture is the best means of extracting information (unless you use sodium pentathol, which may not work on her because of her anatomy, and the fact that she's a toaster). She needed information, so she had to get it. Desperate times, desperate measures.
                          Torture has never been the best means of extracting information- just ask the Israelis or Senator John McCain. The tortured will say anything to make the physical and mental pain stop.

Just because these are desperate times do not mean that one's ethics and morals have to be jettisoned. Otherwise, Cain isn't much better than the Cylons.
                          Last edited by somedude; 14 January 2006, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Gah, what a nailbiter! There was so much tension on the bridges after the battle that I actually felt it in my gut. What a great ending to the trilogy!

-Can someone explain the significance of the scene where Baltar told Six's story to Gina? I got the feeling that somehow he was consciously deciding to remove Six from his brain and replace her with Gina. Yes? No? Maybe?

-I didn't see the assassination twist at all! I thought Adama might back down, but I had no idea that Cain would as well. Made her death at the end even more poignant, and I admit I was a bit bummed to see her go. So nice to see "bad guys" that aren't completely evil.

-When I saw Helo and Tyrol getting stormed by the Pegasus guards, my first reaction was that they were going to be raped...

-I cannot glow enough about the space battle CGI, especially that one scene where Apollo floated and watched the fireworks. Lovely, lovely, lovely. And the scene where the cylon bodies floated out into space was an appropriately dark touch.

-Interesting that they showed Dee listening in while Kara and Lee talked. Are they setting up a triangle? Not so sure that I like that idea...

-And lastly, the ending scene between Roslin and Adama was the perfect one-two emotional sucker punch, from an obviously sick Roslin getting practically giddy over Adama's promotion to Adama's tearful grin and look of pain at the end. According to interviews, the kiss was unscripted and Olmos just decided to throw it in. RM gushed over that scene, and rightfully so. It wasn't a sexual kiss, but it had an amazing amount of intimacy that didn't feel out of place. EJO and MM steal the show for me. I could watch those two even if they were sitting in a room reading the dictionary.

Incidentally, I've been looking forward to this show for the whole week, I couldn't wait to watch the rerun after seeing the first viewing, AND I can't wait until next week's episode. THAT is the sign of a great TV show.

Comment

In Pegasus and Ressurection Ship part I, she was a character easy to hate. But Ressurection Ship Part II gave us a chance to warm up to her.. that is until they killed her !

I have the feeling that she knew that Starbuck or Lee (if he was there) would prolly try to kill her. And that maybe she really didn't intend on killing Adama after all? The beauty of it all, we will never know.

They could've gone cheap and did a soap opera kind of killing where she survived but is in a coma or something and at the season 3 finale bring her back to life .. but of course there was only one way it would end up for her. It's a shame, we won't get to see that actress return, unless she was a cylon, which i doubt she is.

if this was just the middle of season 2.. i dunt know if my nerves could handle the rest of the season haha. i never felt like this since i got into 24 and alias and did a marathon run with their dvd sets.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                                -Can someone explain the significance of the scene where Baltar told Six's story to Gina? I got the feeling that somehow he was consciously deciding to remove Six from his brain and replace her with Gina. Yes? No? Maybe?
                                I got the idea that he was trying to reach out to Gina, using the information to form a connection with her. I'm unsure if his intentions were benelvolent though.

That was a great episode, I've seen it about three times now and am still blown away.

Space battles, gorgeous, I love how the vipers destroyed the resurrection ship. And the music for when Gina escapes the cell and the final scene for Adama and Roslin was great.

I'm sad to see Cain gone. She would have been interesting to watch for a few more eps.

Comment

Working...
                                X