No announcement yet.

Resurrection Ship, Part 2 (212)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I say just WOW! Course I was using more colorful language during the course of the ep.

Excuse the random rambling that follows....

Interestingly paced episode. They didn’t frak around with any unnecessary dialogue or scenes. Though I come away severely craving more from each of the character scenes. (Okay maybe not the Helo/Tyrol beating) I’m glad they just jumped right into the battle and didn’t have some big choreographed space battle with loads of VFX and explosions. They gave us the details of what was going to happen in the last ep. with all the nice little models and that was enough. The visuals of the Vipers destroying the Res. ship along with the musical score was effective. Loved that intercut with Lee and the battle in the background. Visually the battle was awesome yet it wasn't overkill and didn't take up more time in the ep than necessary to get across the action.

Who was going to off Cain came as no surprise to me since stupid Skiffy runs promos giving away that plot point. You’d have to be blind not to be able to tell who was holding the sidearm in the commercials. But what was a nice little surprise was the backing down by both sides. I probably should have guessed that was a possibility, but last week’s ending was so intense, it seemed like neither would ever consider backing down.

Originally posted by Arative
    I thought Lee wanted to die because he lost faith in his father and Roslin when they conspired to murder Cain. I think he felt that they betrayed the trust placed him. Of course I could be way off.
    That’s kind of my feeling, too. He’s such a principled character that this action that he was being asked to take part in was over the line. I guess he felt that if things had gotten so bad that those that he trusted were resorting to this, why continue on in this madness. It might just be easier and less painful to end it all. Not to mention all the **** he’d been subjected too. Getting a demotion to LT, having Kara outdo him yet once again and get the acclamations, etc. etc. compiled on the stuff he's had to endure since the beginning of the series. (Nicely played there by the writers by having it be revealed that he had been demoted through a conversation with his father rather than inserting some minor scene with dialogue specifically devoted to that development.)

Admiral Adama is nice but it just doesn’t have the same ring for me as Commander Adama. Yeah, I’m set in my ways. Some episode down the line
    Spoiler:
    Same goes for when I read that Apollo would be getting promoted to Major. Captain Apollo has a nice ring to it as Roslin would say.

Originally posted by kharn the betrayer
    Originally posted by somedude
    Did Jester or Stinger, pilots on the Pegasus, die?
    no clue.. I hope they did...they did deserve to die
    That’s a little harsh. I thought they were okay guys, imho. I’m not ready to write off the entire crew of the Pegasus for the actions of a few. I hope Whiplash (Sebastian Spence) survived because I’d like to see more of him. I did see in another thread here that someone mentioned that the guy that played the CAG (Stinger) was no longer available to play the part so he may be a write off in the battle. Pity. I thought he was interesting as well. I even had to snicker when he put Lee in his place and called him a daddy’s boy. (And I like Lee....) He provided some nice conflict.

I'm gonna kind of miss Cain now. MF did a great job portraying that character. I mean I hated her guts as soon as she practically goose-stepped off the Raptor and onto the Galactica, but damn she was an interesting and complex character. And she was only in 3 episodes! RDM really knows how to develop a character and push all the right buttons.

Originally posted by Speakfire
    Just to clarify, we ARE allowed to post spoilers here in the episode commentary in plain text without all the rigamarole, warnings and white-outs, right? Just no where else?
    Correct. You just have to put anything that is spoilers for future episodes in spoiler tags in this thread. Discussion of the episode in the episode thread needs no tags because well it’s the episode thread....
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Having some time pass, I did felt like Lee's story was a little bit out of place. For starters, the episode started with him but it he was just one of many storylines going on at the same time. And I agree that it did kind of feel out place.

Yet, i understand his inner turmoil. in the first season "Bastille Day" the first episode with Richard Hatch, we see that Lee has a different way of thinking and his own ideas of right or wrong, just like when he pulled the gun out at Tigh at the end of season 1 and his break out from the brigg and joining the PResident in exile. He lost faith in his father and the president, which is understandable. And given everything everyone's been going through, death would seem so much easier. I didn't really catch it at first, that Lee was intentionally not answering Dee's hails. But now it makes more sense.

But at the same time, he has to "lighten" up. Sure, Adama and Roslin were wrong to assasinate Cain but at the same time, Adama realized his mistake and stopped it. And the President is practically at her death bed at this point and given Cain's history with civilian ships, elimination was the quickest and fastest way to ensure stability in the fleet. If she dies, the goverment would be plunged into turmoil. Being Sec. of Education, she is the only one with legitimate powers. Even though Baltar is VP, he's too weak to do anything. And with Cain in charge of the military, who knows what might happen. At least if she dies, she can depend on Adama to do the right thing... So for now, I'm saying that Lee has hit a low point and he should try to think a lil bit out of the box and try to realize that things are bad.. but not as bad as they could be.

Comment

Lee bein' called Lt. really confused me a lot.. yet he's called cpt. up through pegasus...

Spoiler:
        certainly looks like Dee was showin' more concern for Lee then she's supposed to...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cyke
          Having some time pass, I did felt like Lee's story was a little bit out of place. For starters, the episode started with him but it he was just one of many storylines going on at the same time. And I agree that it did kind of feel out place.
          I thought that was an interesting start to the episode. I love it when writers employ that writing technique effectively and toss you into the middle of the action, rather than start from the beginning and progress forward in a linear fashion.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

I really need to remember not to have throwable objects by me when I watch this show. Damage occurs to them, and that's not a good thing! I mean, I started freaking out right off the bat! I also thought a(nother) prison rape scene was in store all through the credits and first commercials - but was somewhat relieved to see it was (only) a beat-down scene. Then I began to really admire Jack.

I was supremely glad it was Baltar who suggested justice. That somehow made it much more poetic and meaningful, mostly because it wasn't some half-cocked Cylon vengeance plot. And I want to know where she is. And where Six went. And if Six is gone and what she thinks about Baltar's use of her "sports" spiel. And if she really is somehow a function of his subconscience.

Poor Lee. First he gets nailed twice for following his instincts (Bastille Day - losing face with Dad - and KLG, II - oh the mutiny), then he gets transferred and demoted for something that wasn't his fault, then he gets dragged into some crazy plot that goes against what he considers a basic human moral code... no wonder he wants to die. And if he keeps doing this suicide run shirtless, I may have to keep rooting for it. I also think, in some rather large part of his heart, he's living to help Kara, and when he can't do so - or when he fails in doing so - it's one of the final blows that completely shakes his desire to live. If he doesn't have her back - if he can't even keep her trust in him - what makes him so different from a Cylon? (Then again, maybe he is no different from a Cylon... bwahaha)

Dee. Blegh. Though I was happy to see Billy for all of 2.8 seconds.

Yeah, I'm going to watch the rerun in an hour and a half and get back with more then.

Oh, yeah. I need to reiterate this: I love this show.
            Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
            sigpic

Comment

Wow. And more wow. Very intense episode.

The long distance shots of the space battle were some of the most beautiful in the series.

Gina and Baltar. Such emotion from both actors. I think those scenes also cement Baltar going completely over to the Cylon side. It looks like he has asked himself the question "do humans deserve to live", looked at what humanity has done to the woman/cylon he loves, and emphatically said "no."

Comment

WOW, I'm still reeling after watching this episode. Just some random thoughts:

- I really liked that both commanders couldn't go through with the assassinations. Although it was overly neat, it made a lot of sense. And I was surprised that I was surprised that it happened. I really thought at least one of them would go through with it (at least give the order).

- I'm sad to see Cain go. Michelle Forbes did an amazing job portraying the character and just when Cain surprises us and we actually start to grow a little bit of sympathy for her, she has to die.

- The final scene between Adama and Rosyln - perfect, absolutely amazing acting job by both. And that kiss - WOW. That moment spoke so many volumes. It showed their friendship and their love for each other - not necessarily in a sexual way (although possibly) - but a genuine respect and affection.

The whole episode was just excellent. This show continues to amaze and surprise me. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, they blindside me again!

Comment

Kind of stinks that they got rid of the Blackbird so soon. I really liked that ship. I guess it was too useful for the colonials to have, so they had to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
                    Kind of stinks that they got rid of the Blackbird so soon. I really liked that ship. I guess it was too useful for the colonials to have, so they had to get rid of it.
                    Well you never know they could easily construct a new one. I'm suprised they never had anything stealthy that prior to these last few eps.

Oh I was thinking about this during the ep:

Ding dong! the witch is dead. which old witch? the wicked witch!
                    Ding dong! the wicked witch is dead.
                    Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
                    Wake up, the wicked witch is dead. she's gone where the goblins go,
                    Below - below - below. yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
                    Ding dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
                    Let them know
                    The wicked witch is dead!

ahh I feel much better now.

Comment

Originally posted by apollo123
                      - I really liked that both commanders couldn't go through with the assassinations. Although it was overly neat, it made a lot of sense. And I was surprised that I was surprised that it happened. I really thought at least one of them would go through with it (at least give the order).
                      After Adama didn't give the order, I knew that Cain wouldn't. To Cain, Starbuck is an open book. I think Cain quickly identified the fact that Starbuck would respond well to a military woman in command - how, I'm not sure, but she jumped on that. Just the language Cain used when talking to Kara was tweaked for her audience. "[The people on Caprica] deserve to be rescued"? "I"m so proud of you"? "I want you to promise me"? To me, these don't seem like phrases used from the hard-ass admiral to the upstart CAG-with-guts. It smacks of manipulation. As soon as Cain saw Kara's sweaty face and free weapon, what else was she to think? Cain had also just given the same order; she had to have expected it. And when Starbuck's that much of an open book, well, easy call. I think it could also secondarily be a product of need recognition, but I personally don't think that was the initial cause of the non-order from Cain.
                      Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Liebestraume

Cain IMHO is a very tragic figure. Once she had been an outstanding officer and most likely, a decent human being, but I suspect her vision was always a bit skewed, in the sense that her focus was on whom to fight against but not whom to fight for. I think that was at the root of her unraveling. Although in no way am I condoning her wrongdoings (which were numerous), chalking it all to her being "crazy" is perhaps a bit too simplistic. So, in some ways, I can relate to Kara's responding to Cain.
                        Well, Kara's unfortunate eulogy to Cain notwithstanding, I can understand her relating to Cain as well. She was the mother figure that Kara has always wanted. The mother who could do everything the boys could but still be...well, the mom she's always wanted. I think Kara has always searched for that kind of approval. It's a flaw of hers. When Cain showed that she could get things done and get them done with the necessity of no muss, no fuss, that appealed to Kara's get it done and get it done now philosophy. I would have liked for Kara not to have so blatantly criticized Dad though in such a public way, especially in light of what he had asked her to do and what they were talking about. Praising Cain for doing what was necessary and etc... was just not cool. I'm not sure I like what direction this episode has pointed to for Kara.

And Lee ... what can I say? I like this character more and more. Tonight it looked like all that repressed emotions finally came to a head, but what struck me most was his sense of loyalty. No knocks to Helo -- whose loyalty to Sharon was extremely moving and endearing -- I think Lee's brand is even more precious. What Kara asked him to do was against everything he believed in; from his latent suicidal urge, one could even say it was against what had sustained him thus far. Yet he still resolved to go through with it, because she was his friend and she needed him. And his last thought -- as far as he knew -- was of her, of how he failed her.
                        Blah blah blah Lee blah blah blah that. Who cares about Lee?

Except for Dee, of course.
                        "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Maybe Lee is having late stage Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I mean everyone on the shw has lost family, and on top of that, being saddled with the responsibility of being the CAG and having so many pilots loose their lives under him, Lee's had to shoot down a civilian ship that may have possibly been filled with 1300 people, done mutinous acts that directly oppose his only living relative, failed his best friend by not being there for her in an assassination he wholly opposes, and had one of the people he respects the most in life (Roslin) suddenly get bloodthirsty enough to go against every moral he believes in by ordering the assassination in the first place.

I'm not exactly sure what I'd be thinking while floating in the bowels of space after going through all of that, watching ships explode around me and with a leak in my suit but I can say I'd probably be pretty darned depressed, and it might take a while to shake off that depression.

He needs counselling Or something to believe in and something to live for.

Regarding Dee... Well she's been looking at him *that way* since Resistance. I think she looks up to him and it really shook her (as much as it did Kara) I suspect to hear him admit he doesn't want to live because hes always been such a moral guy.
                          ...but now I know
                          That twenty centuries of stony sleep
                          Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
                          And what rough beast, its hour come 'round at last,
                          Slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?

Comment

Did anyone catch the little thing with Billy at the end. He was sitting in the Presidents chair. I thought that was a nice little bit to go along with what Adama said in Home

Comment

AMAZING episode.

I just loved the scene where the Pegasus XO realized that he wouldn't have to go through with Cain's plan. His reaction was so wonderful. Brought a smile to my face. And the closing scene, so emotional.

The entire ep was close to perfection. Seriously I don't know how they're gonna top this but they always seem to manage somehow.

Wasn't that some of the best SFX you have seen in a tv-show, ever? Amazing.
                              Last edited by Oka; 14 January 2006, 06:11 AM.
                              We're whalers on the moon,
                              We carry a harpoon.
                              But there ain't no whales
                              So we tell tall tales
                              And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Did the Raider run into Lee's Blackbird on purpose, or because it couldn't see the ship cuz it was stealthy?

Comment

Working...
                                X