No announcement yet.

The Hub (409)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When i was watching this episode i kept wondering if it was apropriate to laugh at several scenes...which i ended up laughing at anyways.......

I also had a really really really crazy theory. In the back of mind i kept thinking of Elosha as if she was fake leoben and not Roslin's conscience. The fact that Elsoha was trying to get Roslin to love, sort of reminded me of old gods and Aphrodite.....we also do know that Roslin's mother was a devout follower of Aphrodite...maybe the old gods are starting to connect to the character via these strange avatars and visions

Comment

Originally posted by GateDragon View Post
      pretty much BSG version of "grace" from sg1
      Ugh the two episodes don't even warrant comparison. "Grace" is better left forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjord View Post
        When i was watching this episode i kept wondering if it was apropriate to laugh at several scenes...which i ended up laughing at anyways.......

We get this episode of Galactica with possibly the best dialog the show has ever done, and then we get this line from D'Anna:

"He's injured, but I think he'll survive."

Uhhh.....

Probably the worst, most ridiculously redundant line on the show ever- how did that one slip through?

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post

We get this episode of Galactica with possibly the best dialog the show has ever done, and then we get this line from D'Anna:

"He's injured, but I think he'll survive."

Uhhh.....

Probably the worst, most ridiculously redundant line on the show ever- how did that one slip through?
          That depends on your objective for the dialog. From 3's perspective (who has just walked into the room and noticed baltar hurt), it makes total sense. She hasn't been there for half an episode. She hasn't watched him bleed and seen his bandage removed then replaced. From her perspective, she sees Baltar apparantly dying, checks him out, realizes he'll live, then (like a lot of people do), states this to the rest. Obviously Roslyn would know, but Helo was with 3 all the time so wouldn't know.

Or, you could take the perspective of dialog only for the audience's sake. In that case, it's obvious and redundant, since we just got done watching all that stuff between Roslyn and Baltar.

Basically, do you write the scenes as if the characters were actually experiencing what's happening, or do you write them solely for the benefit of the audience? Personally, I like the fact that this show takes a more realistic approach. Star trek would do the opposite, they'd explain something, then throw in an analogy (oh, it's like inflating a balloon!), even though the characters in question wouldn't need that extra bit of insight.

Comment

Originally posted by hoof View Post
            That depends on your objective for the dialog. From 3's perspective (who has just walked into the room and noticed baltar hurt), it makes total sense. She hasn't been there for half an episode. She hasn't watched him bleed and seen his bandage removed then replaced. From her perspective, she sees Baltar apparantly dying, checks him out, realizes he'll live, then (like a lot of people do), states this to the rest. Obviously Roslyn would know, but Helo was with 3 all the time so wouldn't know.

Or, you could take the perspective of dialog only for the audience's sake. In that case, it's obvious and redundant, since we just got done watching all that stuff between Roslyn and Baltar.

Basically, do you write the scenes as if the characters were actually experiencing what's happening, or do you write them solely for the benefit of the audience? Personally, I like the fact that this show takes a more realistic approach. Star trek would do the opposite, they'd explain something, then throw in an analogy (oh, it's like inflating a balloon!), even though the characters in question wouldn't need that extra bit of insight.
            But including "he's injured" in there.....ugh. (every time a show does that it drives me up the wall) And she looks up at Roslin when she says that "he's injured" as if Roslin didn't know.

You're right it could be realistic which is what Galactica does, but I'm not sure that was a necessary realism.

Comment

OK, I'm not a Baltar fan, but he had some good scenes in this ep.

I became very uncomfortable during his chat with the centurion. Who's to say the tin-man wasn't transmitting Baltar's little speech to his buddies? Hmmm...

If it's stand alone, it's very funny. If it has an arc, we're so frakked.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                Do you know where to find HQ promo pictures this season? I really haven't seen very many. Could you spoiler tag what the pic is?
                Yes they are hard to come by. IGN has a small selection, including the one I was referring to.

Specifically, I am talking about the image that shows Cavill with a gun, looking a bit edgy.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post
                  Yes they are hard to come by. IGN has a small selection, including the one I was referring to.

Specifically, I am talking about the image that shows Cavill with a gun, looking a bit edgy.
                  Ahh, that's familiar- saw it somewhere but I couldn't figure out where it was from. Now I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's from the New Caprica arc. Looks like it just got mis shuffled in with the rest. Funny that Battlestar Wiki used that very image.

On the flip side... He only wears that hat when he's on hard turf...
                    Spoiler:
                    Earth?
                    Last edited by AeronPrometheus; 08 June 2008, 09:13 PM. Reason: hurrr

Comment

• Is it just me, or did the Basestar seem "more wounded" this episode than the last, where most of the "arms" appeared to have healed before it jumped?
                      • Before, didn't Adama read from his only copy of the "Falconer" novel. Where does the other one come from on the Basestar that Roslin leafs through ? I don't think it was only during the "fantasy" scenes (during the small jumps). Also the one Adama reads in the Raptor didn't appear to be burned as it did before. Finally, at the deathbed vision, Adama is obviously reading from the beginning of the novel rather than the end, which seems unlikely.
                      • Why the small jumps back to Galactica? I can understand the jumps in the other direction (they were trying to track a moving target, the hub). But the hybrid knew where they were to begin with. If the hybrid were still unsettled by the death of the Natalie, why jump back at all? The small jumps would explain why the raptors from Galactica found the debris from the battle without the basestar returning, giving Adama the motivation and opportunity to remain behind, but there was not a coherent explanation why the "limping" jumps back.
                      • Baltar is always fun to watch, but I wish he would emerge from his "three stooges" phase. In this episode, his dialog showed all the ego without any of the compensating intelligence that we've grown accustomed to. Talking to the Centurion makes no sense to me at all. There are already enough divisions among the Cylons to make things interesting without adding a "class" revolution to the mix.
                      • Helo became unsettled when he learned that the "eight" model accessed all of Athena's memories about himself and their child, and with good reason. I don't see how he can be sure that the "real" Athena that he shot was the one who returned to Galactica. Contrary to what Roslin said, Helo is truly married to the production line, at least that part of it who shared the most intimate memories of Athena.
                      • The whole concept of a Resurrection Hub above and beyond the Resurrection ships strikes me as bit of a contrivance to level the playing field between the Cylons and the Colonials. It seems extraordinary that any Cylons would assist on such a fundamentally game-changing raid, despite their curiosity about and feelings for the final five. To me, the closest historical analog would be the Kamikaze or Banzai attacks in WWII, when one side was extremely desperate.
                      • Just as the Hub, to me, seems to be a writers device to move forward the "endgame", so does the continued use of "visions" to bring the stronger characters to a place they ought to arrived at by their own inner thoughts and conflicts working out over time. While I do believe this episode was very moving in its writing and its acting, it doesn't seem to me that so big a nudge was necessary for Roslin to see that she was loved, nor did I really buy the proposition that she was unable to express love herself, despite her responsibilities, illness, and the apocalyptic circumstances. This seems to be the "anti-episode" of "Unfinished Business" where emotional attachments were supposed to be reined in for the good of the many.
                      Last edited by anotherquestion; 08 June 2008, 09:31 PM.

Comment

This midseason break is going to suck. I wonder how much is going to be leaked because of it. I don't understand why they don't just put em all out and get the DVDs out as soon as possible while the US dollar still has some viability. I would think they would want to make money off this as soon as possible rather than later. By the time the DVDs come out gas is going to be so expensive I will be unable to drive to the store to buy them.
                        When in trouble, "send lawyers, guns and money!"

Comment

Originally posted by nckzvnbr View Post
                          By the time the DVDs come out gas is going to be so expensive I will be unable to drive to the store to buy them.
                          You want me to pick them up for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Fjord View Post
                            When i was watching this episode i kept wondering if
                            I also had a really really really crazy theory. In the back of mind i kept thinking of Elosha as if she was fake leoben and not Roslin's conscience. The fact that Elsoha was trying to get Roslin to love, sort of reminded me of old gods and Aphrodite.....we also do know that Roslin's mother was a devout follower of Aphrodite...maybe the old gods are starting to connect to the character via these strange avatars and visions
                            Not crazy at all. I thought that from the first moment.
                            Someone on here had said that it was odd that Roslin should come along and reclaim her humanity through love or something to that effect. I think it makes sense and is a nice point against the Head Six telling Baltar on Kobol that killing is what it is to be human.

Comment

Originally posted by nckzvnbr View Post
                              This midseason break is going to suck. I wonder how much is going to be leaked because of it. I don't understand why they don't just put em all out and get the DVDs out as soon as possible while the US dollar still has some viability. I would think they would want to make money off this as soon as possible rather than later. By the time the DVDs come out gas is going to be so expensive I will be unable to drive to the store to buy them.
                              i think the writers strike had a lot to do with it. from what i hear, bsg was pretty much shut down. so it's possible that there was never intended to be a real long hiatus, but the strike - and tons of post production - changed that
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Was Anders on the basestar when it jumped away? I could have sworn he was. If so, where was he during the attack on the Hub?
                                sigpic
                                FOX Network

Comment

Working...
                                X