No announcement yet.

The Hub (409)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All things considered, the previous episode was poorly received by the majority of the fans, with many elements considered over the top or simply out of character. This episode is equally challenging, but the forward momentum of events and the improvement in characterization should help overcome the oddities of the format.

Covering roughly the same period of time as the previous episode, the focus of the story is on the Human-Cylon Rebel alliance and Roslin’s personal journey. The alliance was never going to be an easy sell, and the sudden jump away from the fleet and Natalie’s reported death make things a lot worse. Roslin, still operating in “survival at any cost” mode, wants to take down the resurrection hub, grab D’Anna, and grill her for information before letting the Cylon Rebels see her. What that might cost anyone else is simply not her problem.

Except, of course, that every time the basestar jumps, Roslin finds herself having visions of her own death, with a bit of scathing commentary from Elosha, the priestess who previously helped Roslin with matter of faith and who was killed in “Home: Part I”. Elosha chastises Roslin for losing sight of her own humanity, in turn threatening the survival of the species. The implication is that her decisions could risk everyone around her because she has lost the ability to care about anyone else. This, in effect, makes it impossible to see what is best for those in her charge.

It may seem a reach, but this ties back into one of the ongoing themes of the series, introduced right back in the miniseries. One important question has always been: is Humanity worthy of survival? Have they sown the instrument of their own destruction because they deserve to be destroyed? The argument for Roslin is that her methods and choices undermine any argument for Humanity’s continuance.

From a certain point of view, this has already been demonstrated. Destroying the hub and leveling the playing field wouldn’t have been possible without Adama’s decision to trust Kara, something Roslin vehemently opposed. Roslin has often been stubborn, and to some extent, Adama’s conversion to her side over the course of the series has given her a sense of superior entitlement. One can only imagine what her reaction will be to Lee’s position when she returns. (A turn of events that, at this point, seems to have been incredibly preemptive. since the appointment was decided in two days!)

Elosha’s message was a simple one: Roslin needs to find a psychological and emotional lifeline to keep her humanity intact. Her understanding and resolve is put to the test when Baltar, in a dubious plot twist, reveals his guilt over his role in the destruction of the colonies. Roslin’s first reaction is to let Baltar bleed out and die for his monumental crime against humanity. Elosha guides her differently: with the survival of Humanity at stake, every life is worthy to be saved.

I’m not sure I believe that Roslin would convert so quickly, in a sudden panic to save Baltar’s life, but it does represent a small turning point. She still betrays the alliance with the Cylon Rebels, but she saves Baltar’s life. It’s a foregone conclusion that his survival, perhaps in tandem with his conversation with the Centurion, will be an important piece of the resolution puzzle.

And while the process wasn’t necessarily pretty, it’s the final step for Roslin and Adama’s relationship. Watching the final moments of the episode, I was reminded of the political and personal tension between Roslin and Adama in the first season. This episode harkens back to “Resurrection Ship: Part II” on several levels (the circumstances of the battle, the discussion on why Humanity should survive, etc.), and that was a huge turning point for the two of them. In that respect, this episode gives us a sense that the journey really is coming to an end.

I liked the return of D’Anna, who has defied any attempt to make her little more than a pawn in the game now that things have changed, and I like the idea that Humans and Cylons are now more similar than ever. It continues to point to the possibility of the two species merging for survival. Elosha’s presence seems to indicate that the connections to prophecy continue to be meaningful, and recent visions and prophecies have been in line with the concept of a combined future.

I must also give kudos to Bear McCreary for the score, especially during the impressive battle scenes, and similarly, the effects team. I recently made a belated switch to HD and this episode was visually stunning. It’s good to have an episode where the underlying drama rivals the presentation. With the season hitting a lengthy hiatus after the next episode, I can only hope that the momentum continues in the right direction.

John Keegan
    Reprinted with permission
    Original source: c. Critical Myth, 2008
    All rights reserved
    Link: http://www.criticalmyth.com

Comment

Originally posted by anotherquestion View Post
      [LIST][*]Before, didn't Adama read from his only copy of the "Falconer" novel. Where does the other one come from on the Basestar that Roslin leafs through ? I don't think it was only during the "fantasy" scenes (during the small jumps). Also the one Adama reads in the Raptor didn't appear to be burned as it did before. Finally, at the deathbed vision, Adama is obviously reading from the beginning of the novel rather than the end, which seems unlikely.
      I think it's confusing because we saw some things out of order here. In the Sine Qua Non we saw the couple of days from the perspective of the Colonial fleet. In The Hub, we see the same days from the Basestar.

Here's the book's story arc:

In 'Guess What's Coming to Dinner?'
      The book is taken by Roslin when she takes Baltar in the Raptor and heads over to the basestar have a chat with the hybrid.

in 'The Hub'
      She then has visions during jumps in which she "sees" Adama reading it to her.
      in 'The Hub'
      She then takes a rest in the raptor, telling Helo it's familiar, and leaves the book there. She obviously doesn't pick it up before Pike takes the raptor out on the mission to destroy the hub.
      in 'The Hub'
      Pike freaks during the battle, and jumps away to meet Galactica. As he's jumping away, shrapnel/bullet/etc hits him.

in 'Sine Qua Non'
      The fleet finds Pike and his raptor (well, Racetack, because she can find anything -- why aren't they sending her out to find earth? -- oops, side-topic)
      in 'Sine Qua Non'
      Once the raptor is back on Galactica, Adama finds the scorched book. He takes it with him when the fleet leaves him behind as he hangs out in the raptor waiting for his girlfriend to show up.

So events we saw in Sine Qua Non actually happened after events we saw the following week in The Hub.

Or am I missing the point?

Comment

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post

The book is taken by Roslin when she takes Baltar in the Raptor and heads over to the basestar have a chat with the hybrid.

in 'The Hub'
        in 'The Hub'
        She then takes a rest in the raptor, telling Helo it's familiar, and leaves the book there. She obviously doesn't pick it up before Pike takes the raptor out on the mission to destroy the hub.
        in 'The Hub'
        Pike freaks during the battle, and jumps away to meet Galactica. As he's jumping away, shrapnel/bullet/etc hits him.

in 'Sine Qua Non'
        The fleet finds Pike and his raptor (well, Racetack, because she can find anything -- why aren't they sending her out to find earth? -- oops, side-topic)
        in 'Sine Qua Non'
        Once the raptor is back on Galactica, Adama finds the scorched book. He takes it with him when the fleet leaves him behind as he hangs out in the raptor waiting for his girlfriend to show up.

So events we saw in Sine Qua Non actually happened after events we saw the following week in The Hub.

Thanks a lot for the timeline. Makes sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
          I think it's confusing because we saw some things out of order here. In the Sine Qua Non we saw the couple of days from the perspective of the Colonial fleet. In The Hub, we see the same days from the Basestar.

in 'The Hub'
          in 'The Hub'
          in 'The Hub'

in 'Sine Qua Non'
          in 'Sine Qua Non'

No way. I completely missed all of that.

Kudos on the great timeline

Comment

Originally posted by AeronPrometheus
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's from the New Caprica arc. Looks like it just got mis shuffled in with the rest.
            No, it was definitely released by Universal with the media package for this ep. The background looks baseship-like, but there is something amiss. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Originally posted by Pepermint Jaffa
            Was Anders on the basestar when it jumped away? I could have sworn he was. If so, where was he during the attack on the Hub?
            Perhaps this was being filmed around the time Michael Trucco was in that car accident? I noticed he wasn't credited in Sine Qua Non either, so I guess he simply wasn't on the baseship.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post
              Perhaps this was being filmed around the time Michael Trucco was in that car accident? I noticed he wasn't credited in Sine Qua Non either, so I guess he simply wasn't on the baseship.
              No, Trucco had his car accident right before/after Christmas, BSG hadn't been filming for nearly two months at that point.

Comment

Just in case folks haven't found this yet, here's an interview with Jane Espenson, the writer of this episode.

http://io9.com/5014700/jane-espenson...tious-atheists

My favorite comment is about Helo and all the 8's running around with his wife's memories. Jane says "Helo loves Athena, and he's a one-toaster man."

Comment

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/06...ode-9-the-hub/

Another Jane Espenson interview.

Anyone know when her next ep is? Because
                  Spoiler:
                  that's some excellent news for Laura fans. Both the fact that she'll be and funny and that she'll be alive to be funny.

Comment

More from Jane Espenson:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...ions/800041231

I wish she'd give us the details on all those deleted scenes!

Comment

so is boomer dead???/she ran from the hub ...and i would assume she was aboard the baseship that was destroyed when the hub was taken out

Comment

Originally posted by GateDragon View Post
                        so is boomer dead???/she ran from the hub ...and i would assume she was aboard the baseship that was destroyed when the hub was taken out
                        Jane Espenson hinted in a couple of interviews that she probably had time to get out.

Comment

Awwwww, according to the podcast Billy was originally supposed to be in the ep but the scheduling didn't work. But not complaining about seeing Elosha.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                            Awwwww, according to the podcast Billy was originally supposed to be in the ep but the scheduling didn't work. But not complaining about seeing Elosha.
                            that would have been amazing

i've never really enjoyed the roslin scenes as much since he left

Comment

Podcast comments, in tags for those who haven't listened yet and don't want to be spoiled for it!
                              Spoiler:
                              Hehe. I was so right about the ring being improvised.

And yay RDM hated that the cylon gag was in the promo as well.

And they used "Han Solo moment" was indeed the intent behind Adama's last line.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                                wait what! while I didnt mind seeing Elosha I liked and Miss Billy hell of alot more than her T_T

its also made even worse by the fact that Billy's replacement well... blah

Comment

Working...
                                X