Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about trying this series out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Yeah I can't wait. Watching "Severed Dreams" now.
    Coolness. Severed Dreams and Shadow Dancing are my favorite episodes of season 3. In fact, some people would say that Severed Dreams is the best B5 episode of all time.
    sigpic

Comment

It's getting fairly tense...

And doesn't Shadow Dancing have a fair bit of fighting in it?
      sigpic

Comment

Hey, um...How do the Starfury pilots tell the difference between friend and foe when they are fighting each other? I see some have red sub-lights and others have blue...Is that how they can tell?
        sigpic

Comment

It's getting fairly tense...

And doesn't Shadow Dancing have a fair bit of fighting in it?
          Yeah, Shadow Dancing has a vicious space battle in it. It's not just the space battle sequence though. The entire episode is like a gigantic roller coaster ride.

Hey, um...How do the Starfury pilots tell the difference between friend and foe when they are fighting each other? I see some have red sub-lights and others have blue...Is that how they can tell?
          Starfuries have a FOF (Friend or Foe) system. Like real life military fighters, Starfuries are programmed to recognize which fighters are friendly and potentially hostile. The way it works in the B5-verse would all Starfuries belonging to the Churchill, the Alexander, and Babylon 5 would be recognized by each other's computer systems as friendly. The other Earth Alliance ships would be programmed by their respective captains to recognize B5 and its allies as renegades.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
            Yeah, Shadow Dancing has a vicious space battle in it. It's not just the space battle sequence though. The entire episode is like a gigantic roller coaster ride.

Starfuries have a FOF (Friend or Foe) system. Like real life military fighters, Starfuries are programmed to recognize which fighters are friendly and potentially hostile. The way it works in the B5-verse would all Starfuries belonging to the Churchill, the Alexander, and Babylon 5 would be recognized by each other's computer systems as friendly. The other Earth Alliance ships would be programmed by their respective captains to recognize B5 and its allies as renegades.
            Rep for the answer...Thanks

But what about the different colored sub-lights? Was that just for our (the audience's) convenience?
            sigpic

Comment

Rep for the answer...Thanks

But what about the different colored sub-lights? Was that just for our (the audience's) convenience?
              The different engines aren't so much for our convenience as to show a variation in various Starfury models. The Thunderbolts, which you'll see a more about in Ship of Tears, have upgraded engines and atmospheric capabilities. The regular Starfuries are older and have blue engines. Newer ones tended to have red engines. You'll continue to see a good mix of both, especially in season 4. And thanks for the rep points.
              sigpic

Comment

The different engines aren't so much for our convenience as to show a variation in various Starfury models. The Thunderbolts, which you'll see a more about in Ship of Tears, have upgraded engines and atmospheric capabilities. The regular Starfuries are older and have blue engines. Newer ones tended to have red engines. You'll continue to see a good mix of both, especially in season 4. And thanks for the rep points.
                Ah okay...I also thought the red-sublight ones looked...Idk, more streamlined? So I guess I was right in thinking they were newer models.

Figures that a far-and-away place would get the older, cheaper ones.
                sigpic

Comment

Ah okay...I also thought the red-sublight ones looked...Idk, more streamlined? So I guess I was right in thinking they were newer models.

Figures that a far-and-away place would get the older, cheaper ones.
                  That's unfortunately the case with places like B5. They're considered deep-range outposts so they don't get all the cooler high-tech stuff. A lot of the new tech Earth Alliance has gets installed first on their their warships closest to home. Considering how isolationist the Clark regime as become, their mentality is to fortify Earth against invasion.

There are also slight variations of the Starfuries on each Earth warship. Certain ones, like the ones you see in Crusade, are specialized heavy fighter-bomber versions and are outfitted with missiles.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well Crusade might have to wait a while

Now this explains why in some shots of the show I have seen I have seen the, as I called them before I knew their name, "x shaped" craft with both colored sublights...Lol
                    sigpic

Comment

Well Crusade might have to wait a while

Now this explains why in some shots of the show I have seen I have seen the, as I called them before I knew their name, "x shaped" craft with both colored sublights...Lol
                      Crusade is worth the price of admission in my opinion. It has a distinctly different feel than B5 though it takes place in the same universe.

The x-shape crops up a lot in sci-fi for a number of reasons. In the past, a lot of scientists in NASA were asked about what a good design for a space fighter would be and almost invariably they start coming up with the x-shape silhouette because it just works well engineering & physics wise for spaceflight.
                      sigpic

Comment

Crusade is worth the price of admission in my opinion. It has a distinctly different feel than B5 though it takes place in the same universe.

The x-shape crops up a lot in sci-fi for a number of reasons. In the past, a lot of scientists in NASA were asked about what a good design for a space fighter would be and almost invariably they start coming up with the x-shape silhouette because it just works well engineering & physics wise for spaceflight.
                        Well I suppose that would make sense as to why it pops up.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well I suppose that would make sense as to why it pops up.
                          George Lucas thought it was a good design.
                          sigpic

Comment

George Lucas thought it was a good design.
                            Lol..>First thing I thought too
                            sigpic

Comment

You may be interested to know that a few years back NASA apparently expressed genuine interest in mimicking the design for a future work pod. JMS approved on the condition they retained the Starfury name, though nothing has been heard for a while now.
                              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                                You may be interested to know that a few years back NASA apparently expressed genuine interest in mimicking the design for a future work pod. JMS approved on the condition they retained the Starfury name, though nothing has been heard for a while now.
                                Oh I didn't know that! Thanks for the information there!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X