Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about trying this series out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was actually talking about Buffy, but thanks
    sigpic

Comment

Counting down the days until I can go home and watch this series...I seriously can't wait.
      sigpic

Comment

Okay I am officially starting. I am finally home. Now watching "The Gathering"

I sure hope to enjoy this...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post

The early stuff isn't as good as the later stuff just so you know. It's pretty interesting but there is still that happens in The Gathering that really takes time to fully develop. So try to pay as much detail as possible and once you get through it and season one, the fun really begins.

sigpic

Comment

I hope you enjoy it too. The Gathering and Season 1 may seem slow but the payoff is absolutely worth it in my opinion.
            sigpic

Comment

As Fuzz and SaberBlade say, season 1 isn't as fast-paced as later seasons, but it is essential for an overall understanding of the story. Great character building.
              sigpic

Comment

You really have to love that three different people all have the opinion on the start of the series. Not very often you'll get people who are so consistent in their opinion of how a series starts or that it should be viewed before all the good stuff happens.

sigpic

Comment

I'm beginning "Midnight on the Firing Line" now...I decided to watch some B5 after screwing up while watching BSG (watching out of order on accident).
                  sigpic

Comment

Okay I have watched 11 episodes so far.

My thoughts: The show is kind of difficult to pay attention to. Do I find it intriguing? Of course...But it's tough.

The hair of the Centauri's makes me laugh every time I see it.
                    The sets look like sets...Kind of distracting.
                    The stories are kind of boring.
                    And a couple other things.

Does this deter me from further watching? Hell no. I bought the whole show...I'm watching it to the end.

By the way, for everyone interested, the series is on sale again on Amazon. The cheapest set is $10.55 (5th season) while the most expensive is $14.99 (fourth season). The complete movie collection is also on sale for $14.99. These are all the repackaged sets.

Also, Crusade is on sale for $13.55. How is that show? And I know it only lasted one season...
                    sigpic

Comment

Glad you're sticking with it, even if it hasn't immediately grabbed you - I know it took me a while to decide I didn't want to miss an episode.

Typically when people tell you to 'stick with, it gets better', it's often just them soothing their egoes, urging you to keep going in the vain hope you'll find something you like or at least become so invested in the show (regardless of whether you actually like it or not) that you want to see it through to the end so they have another convert, even a reluctant one.

I'd argue that isn't the case with Babylon 5. Not everybody likes it of course - what a boring world that would be - but many of the people who kept watching into the second season found it did actually improve a great deal, and I genuinely think that once you get into season two, or perhaps even the back half of season one, you'll begin to see what all the fuss has been about. Maybe only in dribs and drabs, but I'm betting you'll see it.

Yes, it's somewhat dated, the Centauri look a little bit ridiculous and what was medium/big budget back then is laughable to us now.

But trust us, it gets better.
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

It's really important that you pay attention to the nuances. There are questions and undercurrents that begin here that won't be resolved for several seasons yet to come. Right now it's all about characters and relationships - it's the set-up. Later on we'll get to the big space battles and so forth. But you really have to have this background material to understand why everything happens the way it happens.
                        sigpic

Comment

I plan on it...It's just hard cause there are other things I've been trying to do.

But since I have only watched half of the first season, I think I might be able to pay attention more to the second half and beyond.
                          sigpic

Comment

I plan on it...It's just hard cause there are other things I've been trying to do.

But since I have only watched half of the first season, I think I might be able to pay attention more to the second half and beyond.
                            I think the others here will agree that you should really pay close attention to the events in episode 13, Signs and Portents. After that episode, the show starts changing direction a bit and, as the others here have already said, details, scenes, and characters you encounter end up being massively important in later seasons.
                            sigpic

Comment

Onto the second disc of season 2.

What exactly happened to Sinclair? I understand he was transferred, but why?
                              sigpic

Comment

Onto the second disc of season 2.

What exactly happened to Sinclair? I understand he was transferred, but why?
                                Wow, onto season 2 already? You managed to watch all of those season 1 episodes in one day? I certainly hoped you didn't skip the latter half of season 1 because that's major stuff there.

Sinclair's transfer had to do with that business about Minbari souls being born in human bodies. His ambassadorship has... other things to do with the plot that will be answer later in season 2.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X