Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
    1x10 - Believers

Well it just wouldn't be sci-fi without having religion vs science thrown into the mix. I don't want to start a debate here so I will only touch briefly on the topic of this episode. I think the entire episode was summed up really well by what Delenn told the parents regarding beliefs and how she cannot choose which one is more "right" than the other.

The episode itself felt like another filler, although it was nice to see it focus on the Doc and give some screen time to another supporting character.

What I didn't like is we didn't get to see the outcome with the parents. Is the incident just going to be overlooked to preserve Babylon's integrity when it comes to "cultural freedom"? I mean a murder was committed on the station and nobody is talking about it?
    I think Delenn and Kosh's assessment of the situation accurately summed up what was happening. Minbari beliefs strictly told her to remain neutral and stay out of the situation. I think it turned out to be the wisest move anyone could've made. Interestingly, G'Kar remained neutral as well but only because his own interests weren't being served. I think Londo knew well enough to keep the Centauri out of the moral quagmire and so came up with a lot of bureaucratic pretexts to keep himself and his people out. Typical political move but a wise one. And then there's Kosh. "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote." I've never believed the Vorlons had the ability to see into the future but I think experience and common sense told him that absolutely nothing good could result from the situation. Besides that, I don't believe the Vorlons would ever put forth their strength or influence to sort out this kind problem. They'd let everybody else muddle their way through it.

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
    Each race is judged by their own laws on B5. Under the laws of these particular aliens, no murder was committed so no one else has legal jurisdiction to do anything about it.

I think it's a great episode. It's one of those thought provoking, debatable eps. Of course I don't agree with what the parents did, but the concept of cultural freedom versus human morality is an interesting one, albeit frustrating.

On the other hand, I think JMS did a fine job on B5 with its portrayal of religion and how it was woven into the show. (Not religious myself.) I don't think it was necessarily elevated, but it also wasn't denigrated.
    I think 10-12 years ago, I appreciated these kinds of "debate" episodes more. These days though, I've gotten a bit tired of these kinds of episodes. Debate can be good but debate can oftentimes be absolutely pointless, with the only result is someone getting hurt either verbally (or physically as the episode proved). I think in the Delenn was right in the end, and that the right choice was not to choose.
    sigpic

Comment

Believers is one of my favorite episodes but oh, so frustrating. There are really no right answers to this one.

I had a strong sense of deja vu when I watched the ST:ENT episode Cogenitor.
      sigpic

Comment

1x11 - Survivors

Finally, a Garibaldi episode. I think the character deserves a lot more screen time than he is getting. Actually there is screen time, but more relevant screen time would be better, as was the case in this episode. Garibaldi and London seem to have a unique relationship as well which I hope will get more attention as the show progresses.

I don't mean to brag () but I guessed the saboteur right from the start of this episode. Although I did suspect the girl at first it became obvious it wouldn't be her. I liked that the episode was not just a filler but actually linked back to one of the previous episodes (i forget which one it was) and continues that storyline.

Seems like this was another small piece to the constantly growing puzzle. I'm assuming everything we see in season 1 leads to something much larger in the seasons to follow.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
          I think 10-12 years ago, I appreciated these kinds of "debate" episodes more. These days though, I've gotten a bit tired of these kinds of episodes. Debate can be good but debate can oftentimes be absolutely pointless, with the only result is someone getting hurt either verbally (or physically as the episode proved). I think in the Delenn was right in the end, and that the right choice was not to choose.
          I still enjoy them for the most part. Moral dilemma eps are usually some of my favorite episodes in sci-fi. They were often my favs on SG-1...Learning Curve, Scorched Earth, Unnatural Selection, etc.

Originally posted by maneth View Post
          I had a strong sense of deja vu when I watched the ST:ENT episode Cogenitor.
          I just recently watched ENT, and when I read what ep magictrick was on, that ep came to mind as well.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
            I still enjoy them for the most part. Moral dilemma eps are usually some of my favorite episodes in sci-fi. They were often my favs on SG-1...Learning Curve, Scorched Earth, Unnatural Selection, etc.
            I like those eps as well. Red Sky is another one that comes to mind.

Before I forget, what is the viewing order for B5, as I know there are some movies as well. I can easily search this but I want to avoid all spoilers. I already came across some spoilers when I was reading up on this series prior to starting it.
            sigpic

Comment

1x12 - By Any Means Necessary

I see there is no shortage of episodes dedicated to the current political issues that exist. Although the episode did drag a lot I can appreciate what the creators are trying to do here. In order for this to be a true saga they chose to include some of these aspects. Not on of my favourites thus far, but an OK episode.

I liked the feisty Connally character and hope they bring her back again at some point. I haven't watched enough to know how B5 treats guest characters though. If it is anything like the Stargate series though it wouldn't surprise me if this character is never mentioned again.
              sigpic

Comment

1x11 - Survivors

Finally, a Garibaldi episode. I think the character deserves a lot more screen time than he is getting. Actually there is screen time, but more relevant screen time would be better, as was the case in this episode. Garibaldi and London seem to have a unique relationship as well which I hope will get more attention as the show progresses.

I don't mean to brag () but I guessed the saboteur right from the start of this episode. Although I did suspect the girl at first it became obvious it wouldn't be her. I liked that the episode was not just a filler but actually linked back to one of the previous episodes (i forget which one it was) and continues that storyline.

Seems like this was another small piece to the constantly growing puzzle. I'm assuming everything we see in season 1 leads to something much larger in the seasons to follow.
                Garibaldi's colorful history, especially with his lapses into ultra-alcoholism, come back to haunt him in this episode. Being my favorite character, I liked how he got more and more screen time throughout the first season and even more wonderful moments in seasons 2 and 3. Even more wonderful is how Jerry Doyle really stepped up and didn't disappoint in his performance.

He's my favorite character for a number of reasons, not the least of which is because my current job has much in common with his law enforcement role. If I were on B5, I'd probably be one of three things: one of Garibaldi's security guys, a member of the Minbari Warrior Caste, or a member of the Anla'shok (an organization that you'll learn extensively about in the future. ) But another thing I really do like about Garibaldi is how he has so many problems, has troubles dealing with those problems, but keeps moving forward somehow.

1x12 - By Any Means Necessary

I see there is no shortage of episodes dedicated to the current political issues that exist. Although the episode did drag a lot I can appreciate what the creators are trying to do here. In order for this to be a true saga they chose to include some of these aspects. Not on of my favourites thus far, but an OK episode.

I liked the feisty Connally character and hope they bring her back again at some point. I haven't watched enough to know how B5 treats guest characters though. If it is anything like the Stargate series though it wouldn't surprise me if this character is never mentioned again.
                This is an episode that's very close to my heart. I never really considered myself a blue collar guy but my line of work pretty much lumped me into that category. I like talking about baseball with a park maintenance worker friend who is trying his damndest to be a firefighter. We've both have had to pay our dues working at a very difficult job with the hope of something much greater for us both in the distant or near future--a firefighter for him and a park ranger for me.

And because of our current positions, we've both had to fight for our rights as workers in small ways and big ways. Unlike Commander Sinclair, I've had a boss who wasn't willing to follow state and federal laws protecting workers' rights. Imagine not having a lunch break where you can actually sit down. Now imagine that going on for over 3 years...

Consequently, I've had to play the role of Connally for a bit and be willing to put myself on the line to protect other coworkers and myself.
                Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 07 September 2011, 11:55 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Weird thing actually but does Garibaldi remind anyone else of Bruce Willis in Moonlighting?

Just a thought.............
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

1x13 - Signs and Portents

So after a few episodes of relatively low significance to the larger arc we suddenly get bombarded with a multitude of new questions:

Who is the "what do you want" man?
                    What is his relationship with Kosh?
                    Why help Londo as "friends you don't know you have"?
                    What was the real reason the commander was chosen for the position?

Again please don't answer any of these questions for me I'm just typing what I'm thinking. Now I'm just that much more interested in discovering the answers to all these questions. I'm sure they all play a big part in what is to come.

Good episode overall. I like these types of set-up episodes because if they are well done they just make you want to keep watching the show. And in this case, it was well done.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post

This is an episode that's very close to my heart. I never really considered myself a blue collar guy but my line of work pretty much lumped me into that category. I like talking about baseball with a park maintenance worker friend who is trying his damndest to be a firefighter. We've both have had to pay our dues working at a very difficult job with the hope of something much greater for us both in the distant or near future--a firefighter for him and a park ranger for me.

And because of our current positions, we've both had to fight for our rights as workers in small ways and big ways. Unlike Commander Sinclair, I've had a boss who wasn't willing to follow state and federal laws protecting workers' rights. Imagine not having a lunch break where you can actually sit down. Now imagine that going on for over 3 years...

Consequently, I've had to play the role of Connally for a bit and be willing to put myself on the line to protect other coworkers and myself.
                      I like when an episode can be related to something in real life. It doesn't always happen (especially in Sci-Fi), but it is a good feeling when it does. Hope it works out for you as it did for Connally.
                      sigpic

Comment

do you have a fav character at the moment magictrick?
                        sigpic
                        The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Yeah, I so completely agree with the Vorlon's decision to destroy the formula. just not his reasoning. It would've been very bad if it ever got widespread and make the current illicit drug epidemic seem pale in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
                            do you have a fav character at the moment magictrick?
                            I think the front runner right now is Garibaldi, no clear favourite yet though. I find most of the other characters enjoyable too, including the telepath and the doctor. They unfortunately haven't gotten as much screen time.

Also, when they are together, G'kar and Londo are entertaining. I really like their exchanges so far. It is a mix of comedy and seriousness all in one.
                            sigpic

Comment

So after a few episodes of relatively low significance to the larger arc we suddenly get bombarded with a multitude of new questions:

Again please don't answer any of these questions for me I'm just typing what I'm thinking. Now I'm just that much more interested in discovering the answers to all these questions. I'm sure they all play a big part in what is to come.
                              A very big part.

G'Kar and Londo are my favorite characters from the series.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Good episode overall. I like these types of set-up episodes because if they are well done they just make you want to keep watching the show. And in this case, it was well done.
                                Along with Mind War and And the Sky Full of Stars, this episode sets in motion an enormous number of plots and subplots that will reverberate throughout the entire series. The fallout from this episode alone will go all the way through season 5. I won't answer your questions exactly as I'll let the show do that for me but I'll give you some points to ponder.

The "What do you want?" man is named is Morden. Morden himself would tell you that his name really isn't very important. From what you saw of that black vessel with the spines, Morden is the very tip of a huge iceberg. In the Babylon 5 universe, we are presented with six major philosophical questions that become part of the show's thematic tapestry. You just encountered the first with "What do you want?" That question is a recurring motif for Morden and who and what he represents. I will only say that the question itself is... dangerous, as are the other 5 questions.

Notice the ambassadors who answer Morden's question. Think about how they answered his question. Why do you think Morden decided that Londo's answer was the best one? Also notice that Morden never got an answer from Delenn because she was overcome with dizziness, and then a silver triangle appeared on her forehead. After she told Morden to leave, she seemed incredibly afraid and muttered, "They're here." Here's the real kicker: Morden never got a chance to approach Commander Sinclair. He probably would've been next on Morden's list of people to approach if Kosh hadn't surprised him in that corridor. It's also very probable that the reason Sinclair was chosen for the station had something to do with why Morden never got a chance to approach him.

As for Morden's relationship with Kosh, more than you might think is revealed in that confrontation in the corridor when he angrily intones, "Go. Leave. NOW."

I like when an episode can be related to something in real life. It doesn't always happen (especially in Sci-Fi), but it is a good feeling when it does. Hope it works out for you as it did for Connally.
                                Today at the workplace represented a MAJOR victory for the good guys. I had my first proper lunch break in 3 years. That may not seem like a big deal but the very heart of this issue isn't about lunch. It's about being able to even have lunch.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X