No announcement yet.

My Journey through Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glad to see people still check this fantastic show out. i think the show starts to become more arc based in episode 13 but in general s2,3,4 are the seasons where it's very arc based.
    sigpic
    The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Well I definitely look forward to it. I don't mind the stand alone episodes as long as they are entertaining, which for the most part, these have been. I think what I like the most is the feel of the station because it seems realistic. Most scenes are also filmed well and I'm a fan of the "walk and talk" as well.

I guess I should look forward to lucky episode 13
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
        Well I definitely look forward to it. I don't mind the stand alone episodes as long as they are entertaining, which for the most part, these have been. I think what I like the most is the feel of the station because it seems realistic. Most scenes are also filmed well and I'm a fan of the "walk and talk" as well.

I guess I should look forward to lucky episode 13
        They seem like stand-alone episodes right now but wait a few episodes and you'll see them start to mesh together. By the final 6 episodes of the season, you've got yourself the beginning of the best sci-fi saga you've ever seen.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
          They seem like stand-alone episodes right now but wait a few episodes and you'll see them start to mesh together. By the final 6 episodes of the season, you've got yourself the beginning of the best sci-fi saga you've ever seen.
          The best you say? But I've already got a couple of series that are my favourites, what will I do??
          sigpic

Comment

The best you say? But I've already got a couple of series that are my favourites, what will I do??
            Well, it might be the best you've ever seen. I personally think it's the best sci-fi show I've ever seen. After baseball season ends and Doctor Who series 6 is finished, I'll probably do a big re-watch just like last year.
            sigpic

Comment

1x06 - Mind War

I really liked this episode, probably my favourite so far. Finally got to see the true power of what telepaths and can do and the potential for huge problems that could arise from their powers.

It seems to me though that telepaths in this series have the potential to be much too overpowered. The idea that there are people out there who can read your thoughts at any time is dangerous enough, add to that the telekinetic aspect at it just becomes too much. I hope they address this more and curb the powers. Although the guy in the episode did mention that telekinetics are extremely rare.

I liked the side plot with G'kar because it showed another side of the character. I especially enjoyed the bit at the end with the ant because it is really similar to an analysis made by an actual astrophysicist to compare why we humans haven't come into contact with aliens yet (his analysis was an ant hill beside an eight lane super highway).
              sigpic

Comment

1x06 - Mind War

I really liked this episode, probably my favourite so far. Finally got to see the true power of what telepaths and can do and the potential for huge problems that could arise from their powers.

It seems to me though that telepaths in this series have the potential to be much too overpowered. The idea that there are people out there who can read your thoughts at any time is dangerous enough, add to that the telekinetic aspect at it just becomes too much. I hope they address this more and curb the powers. Although the guy in the episode did mention that telekinetics are extremely rare.

I liked the side plot with G'kar because it showed another side of the character. I especially enjoyed the bit at the end with the ant because it is really similar to an analysis made by an actual astrophysicist to compare why we humans haven't come into contact with aliens yet (his analysis was an ant hill beside an eight lane super highway).
                The tension between telepaths and normals spans the entire series of Babylon 5... and beyond. The Psi Corps and almost everything about them will be explored in incredible depth. As with many things in B5, the Psi Corps story line will intertwine with other story lines, especially with the main plot which will get jumpstarted in Signs and Portents.

By the way, though Psi Cops are indeed powerful, they're not invulnerable. They just make themselves appear to be. Telekinetics are indeed rare and unstable. In B5's 5 seasons, we only see a total of 2 telekinetics. Ironheart is the first.

Mind War is definitely an arc episode. It doesn't feel like one because everything you've been seeing the beginning of the arc. But everything you just saw in this episode--from the incidents with Bester, Ironheart, the Psi Corps, G'Kar, and even the aliens at Sigma 957--will be revisited... and with consequences shown.
                sigpic

Comment

1x07 - The War Prayer

First episode so that had a connection to events in previous episodes. Actually it was with events that occurred in The Gathering, when the commander talks about the incident with the Vorlon, and the psychic and doctor that I guess were written out when the series started. Looks like casting changes were required when the series began, the doctor, psychic and lt commander were are replaced.

I didn't find the episode anything special, apart from the fact that it was used to set up future arcs and story lines with this radical resistance group. It was good to see Ivanova out of uniform though. The side plot with the Centari and their traditions was fairly interesting as well. I always like it when we discover something new about all these alien races.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                    Mind War is definitely an arc episode. It doesn't feel like one because everything you've been seeing the beginning of the arc. But everything you just saw in this episode--from the incidents with Bester, Ironheart, the Psi Corps, G'Kar, and even the aliens at Sigma 957--will be revisited... and with consequences shown.
                    Hmm..super advanced aliens that pose consequences, now where I have seen that before..
                    sigpic

Comment

Just add it to the list. I've got a bunch of favorites as well and B5 is certainly one of them.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

1x06 - Mind War

Wait until you see the final fate of Talia and Lyta, and learn the true origin of telepaths in that universe. In fact, I have my own pet hypothesis about Lyta, and what her true role is to be, after watching her fate in the fifth season.

G'kar and Londo's relationship will grow, and wait until you see the reveal of what Londo's dream about G'Kar is when revealed in the fifth season.

Londo, however, is my least favorite character. However, there is an absolutely epic exchange between him and Vir when discussing the emperor while they are back on their homeworld.

My favorite exchange in the entire series. I have never seen anything like it in any other sci-fi series that I've seen.

Comment

When Stargate introduced highly-advanced races that meddled or took no part in the evolution of younger races, I had the funny feeling that I'd seen it all before in another show.

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                          Just add it to the list. I've got a bunch of favorites as well and B5 is certainly one of them.
                          B5 remains in the top 1% of my favourite shows.
                          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

I've always viewed B-5 as being about Londo and G'Kar. Without either of these characters the series would have been less interesting.

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                            When Stargate introduced highly-advanced races that meddled or took no part in the evolution of younger races, I had the funny feeling that I'd seen it all before in another show.
                            Q. How many Vorlons does it take to change a light bulb?

A. None. They get one of the younger races to do it for them, however, they then must be wiped out because they have been touched by the darkness...

regards,
                            G.
                            Go for Marty...

Comment

1x07 - The War Prayer

First episode so that had a connection to events in previous episodes. Actually it was with events that occurred in The Gathering, when the commander talks about the incident with the Vorlon, and the psychic and doctor that I guess were written out when the series started. Looks like casting changes were required when the series began, the doctor, psychic and lt commander were are replaced.

I didn't find the episode anything special, apart from the fact that it was used to set up future arcs and story lines with this radical resistance group. It was good to see Ivanova out of uniform though. The side plot with the Centari and their traditions was fairly interesting as well. I always like it when we discover something new about all these alien races.
                              The War Prayer sets the tone for some interesting and disturbing things with Earth. Earth is slowly changing and definitely not for the better. A lot of these xenophobic feelings stem from the Earth-Minbari War but there are... other, greater factions at work right now.
                              sigpic

Comment

1x08 - And the Sky Full of Stars

I'm giving this show another plus because the intro sequence is really cool. I'm sure most of you B5 fans would agree Is the voice that's speaking that of the actor playing the Commander?

I enjoyed this episode mostly because it provided a lot of key information about the past. I didn't know much about the Earth-Menbari war until now, and didn't realize the Commander had a key role in all this - what that is remains to be seen. I see this episode setting up a major story arc down the road.

I'm still not sure what the Grey Council of the Menbari is all about and why Delenn doesn't want anyone to know. Not sure what their significance is. But as has been the case so far I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

Also, everyone here has been doing a great job of not spoiling anything for me so just wanted to say thank you! I hate spoilers!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X