My Journey through Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
    That's too bad. I guess in the B5 universe when we see a time jump to the future it means that is the future that will actually happen. I know in other sci-fi shows they say that's just one of the possible outcomes, but as I understand it then, what Sheridan saw is the actual future that will happen no matter what?
    Delenn told him that, "This future can only be changed by surrendering to the Shadows." JMS has pretty much said to take her response at face value. There's really no spoilers for this as all of the pieces have been laid out in front of us since Londo kept having those dreams of his demise 20 years into the future. It's just a matter of how all the pieces fall into place as he gets closer and closer to his destiny.

The really tragic thing about this entire situation is that both Sheridan and Londo are essentially fulfilling an odd time paradox: Efforts to change the future (namely Sheridan's nuke attack on Z'ha'dum and Londo having Morden executed) create the very future one hoped to avoid in the first place. That's why this season is titled "The Wheel of Fire." The tone of the season is, yeah you can change and be a better person, but certain actions have unavoidable consequences no matter how much personal atonement or redemption you find. This applies to the telepath storyline as well in a metaphorical sense. Sooner or later, Psi Corps will have reap all the pain that's been sowed on their account.

It's true that this season is about the aftermath of the wars and the peace that was won from those conflicts. But those conflicts have consequences for some... very painful ones.
    sigpic

Comment

5x04 - A View from the Gallery

This was an absolutely brilliant episode. I loved every moment of it. What a smart idea to have the entire episode from the point of view of one of the regular folks. I would have included one of these types of episodes in each season just to change things up. I think this will be one of those few episodes that can be watched over and over and always be enjoyable. The type similar to Window of Opportunity in SG-1.

The episode focused on something that we just assume happens in the background and by bringing it to the forefront made it interesting. Maintenance guys Bo and Mack, two people that are part of the workers who are vital to the operations of Babylon 5, yet we never see them. The interactions they had with each of the main characters I thought were impeccably realistic.

This season continues to impress. I don't see any major story line being setup yet the good ole feel of B5's earlier seasons are here.
      sigpic

Comment

5x04 - A View from the Gallery

This was an absolutely brilliant episode. I loved every moment of it. What a smart idea to have the entire episode from the point of view of one of the regular folks. I would have included one of these types of episodes in each season just to change things up. I think this will be one of those few episodes that can be watched over and over and always be enjoyable. The type similar to Window of Opportunity in SG-1.

The episode focused on something that we just assume happens in the background and by bringing it to the forefront made it interesting. Maintenance guys Bo and Mack, two people that are part of the workers who are vital to the operations of Babylon 5, yet we never see them. The interactions they had with each of the main characters I thought were impeccably realistic.

This season continues to impress. I don't see any major story line being setup yet the good ole feel of B5's earlier seasons are here.
        I love A View from the Gallery. If I want a stand-alone episode of B5 to watch, I invariably turn to this one as the action is good, the acting is top notch, and the writing is wonderful. We have the new Interstellar Alliance contending with an alien threat to the station and we really see what the White Stars can do.

There actually is a story line setup already--namely the telepaths. And because they're telepaths, B5's favorite telepath is bound to get involved with this sooner or later.
        sigpic

Comment

I love AWftG too, and The Other Guys is one of my favorite SG-eps ever.
          sigpic

Comment

Gallery is one of my all-time favorites. I love the point of view from *my* level - not as a member of the command staff, or an ambassador or anyone important - someone more or less on the outside looking in. Bo and Mack are familiar with everything that's going on at the station (as we are) yet have no power to affect anything (much like we as viewers).
            sigpic

Comment

5x05 - Learning Curve

The heated exchange between Lochley and Garibaldi was entertaining to watch. I thought Lochley really did a good job holding her own here and her responses were spot on. I am still curious about the character though and I'm sure there is a lot more to her back story. I am as interested as Garibaldi to find out why Sheridan chose her specifically for the job.

It was also nice to see another Minbari story line involved as well. The whole Terror concept was new but I found it kind of odd. First the Ranger goes in to save the girl and is overwhelmed by the thugs. Then after he's critically injured to the point of near death he recovers enough to get up, go back and take them all out.

I'm also interested to find out what exactly happened between Sheridan and Delenn, not quite sure what to make of that yet.

Overall I still liked the episode and am enjoying this final season.

I'm still looking for answers about Ivanova. Can anyone comment on why she was written out of the show?
              sigpic

Comment

She got bad advice from her agent. Apparently there was a bigger project in the works for her, but as it turned out, that fell through. She will be back in the series though, in the very last episode, which was filmed before she left.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                  She got bad advice from her agent. Apparently there was a bigger project in the works for her, but as it turned out, that fell through. She will be back in the series though, in the very last episode, which was filmed before she left.
                  That's unfortunate. It sucks that the character didn't get a proper sendoff. I mean they do mention what happens, but not actually seeing it really detracts from it. The way last season ended for her was really intense and kind of gave closure, though it just isn't the same as it would have been if done properly.
                  sigpic

Comment

For me, the worst part of Ivanova leaving was it felt like we lost Marcus for nothing.

Comment

5x06 - Strange Relations

Aptly named episode title as we finally find out the big secret behind why Lochley was chosen by Sheridan to be captain of B5. I was trying to figure out what the reason was since the start of the season but I did not see this coming. I am enjoying the scenes with Lochley and Garibaldi as they always turn out great in a variety of different ways.

Garibaldi missed his chance this time around to get revenge but I'm sure another chance will arise before the series is over. I can't wait to see that showdown with Bester.

I wonder what the limit to Lyta's powers are. She seems quite powerful and even telekinetic when she's putting up resistance to Bester and his men. I am curious to see where this leads.

G'kar becoming Londo's bodyguard was fun to watch. Now it puts more pieces in place with regards to what Sheridan saw in his time jump. As I recall G'kar was there with Londo at the very end.

5x07 - Secrets of the Soul

I can't recall if it was this episode or the previous where Lyta has her conversation with Zack. Either way I thought it was great to see and she's is right on everything that she said. They completely took advantage of her.

I found Franklin's side project to be interesting. I wonder if anything more will come of it. I'm not too sure as it doesn't seem to be a major plot line.

I think the highlight of this episode came up at the very end with Lyta and Byron. It was quite an unexpected revelation that we saw from Lyta's memories. It shouldn't come as a surprise I guess that the Vorlons had hand in the telepathic gene. I'm wondering what ramifications this will have as we progress further with the telepath story line.

Byron seems intent to have a homeworld for his people and he has the conviction to do it too. I'm wondering how he will force the Alliance to grant them this request.

I am liking that Lyta is getting a lot more attention this season. I really like the character and look forward to see where it goes.
                      sigpic

Comment

Lyta is definitely one of my favorite characters, even if I never liked Byron much.
                        sigpic

Comment

5x05 - Learning Curve
                          I love anything related to the Minbari. Consequently, this is one of my favorite episodes in season 5. The Mora'dum concept was alluded to by Marcus in Ceremonies of Light and Dark when he told Franklin, "[The Minbari] taught me terror--how to use it, and how to face it." That entire ritual was magnificently developed in this episode, especially the concepts of how fear (terror) can damage someone from the inside--and how the Minbari steadfastly deal with that terror. By having Tannier face Trace in one on one combat, he faced down a potentially traumatizing effect spiritually.

I have seen how the effects of such an assault can affect someone. I encountered someone in college who was assaulted when he was young. It changed him radically from an outgoing adolescent to someone who hardly ever smiled all the way until his death 9 years ago. The Minbari were correct: If you don't face down your terror, you'll never be whole again.

Of all the races on B5, the Minbari are the most fascinating to me and then episode shows once more why they are so interesting.

5x06 - Strange Relations
                          This is episode greatly advances the plot line with the telepaths. I'd say that Lyta's powers are limited only by her reserves. Also, I wouldn't call what she was doing with Bester to be true telekinesis. I'd elaborate on that further but it'd spoil what'll happen later on in season 5. She's technically classified as a P5. I think, after everything we've seen her do, it's safe to say that she's not a P5.

5x07 - Secrets of the Soul
                          You're very correct that Lyta's been taken advantage of, at least, from a certain point of view. She was instrumental in winning both the Shadow War and the Earth Civil War. In return she's gotten... the President's eternal gratitude? *shrug* I really want to comment more but again, that'd just spoil the hell out of what's coming for Lyta. I actually like how she develops in season 5 as well.

The revelation of the Vorlons creating telepaths... well, as with everything else on this show, you just know there's going to be some heavy fallout from that. That's not something that's just going to be swept under the carpet so easily. With the telepaths, enough material has been swept under the carpet that they're getting fed up.

Franklin's side project is part of that JMS referred to as "empire building" for this season. With the birth of the Interstellar Alliance, there are now many member worlds, many of them former League worlds. JMS wanted to start developing the characteristics for these races in season 5. We got a little bit of it with the Gaim being insectoids in No Compromises and more with the Hyach in this episode. We'll learn a bit more about the Brakiri, the Drazi, and a little about the Pak'ma'ra. I personally wanted a little more of this empire building in earlier seasons as well but I'm just grateful we got it at all.
                          Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 24 March 2012, 08:00 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

5x08 - Day of the Dead

This episode was interesting due to the weirdness of what happens in the Brakiri section of B5. I'm not quite sure what actually happened. Was it all an illusion/hallucination? Or did the dead actually come back to life for one night? How far away did that section actually get transplanted - 200 million light years or 27 light years?

I found it odd because death isn't really examined in B5 up until this point (apart from the Soul Hunters way back in season 1). So the fact that an entire episode would bring up questions about what really happens with death is interesting.

I also liked the choices for characters to bring back. I found the choice of Morden for Lennier to be the most intriguing. First off they didn't really have much interaction during the Shadow War. Secondly, the prediction and advice Morden gives to Lennier appears to be truly genuine. Lastly, Morden asks a kind of "What do you want" question to Lennier and actually gets an answer this time - something which proved significant in the past, especially for Londo.

The side plot of Penn and Teller was pretty fun to watch too. I liked the conversations they had with Delenn. I'm not quite sure exactly the significance of these two in the episode. We learned a bit about them and what they did during the war as comedians but that's about it.

And to conclude everything, Sheridan got another cryptic message from Kosh.
                            sigpic

Comment

5x09 - In the Kingdom of the Blind

The telepath was seems to be headed for its peak here. Byron is trying everything he can to force the Alliance to help his people without violence. But obviously as we saw the result was that a faction of telepaths will be using violence anyway. I'm assuming the result and fallout of all this will occur in the next few episodes.

I personally don't see why the Alliance wouldn't offer them a planet on the edge of the galaxy somewhere. Especially now since the truth has come out about telepaths, it is quite a sad state of affairs. I can also see why they wouldn't allow telepaths their own planet - they are superior in the ways of the mind and there is no telling what they will evolve into if left alone for so long. Perhaps they will want to revolt and then there will be real trouble - actually from what I'm seeing this is already happening this season.

The story on Centauri prime is also interesting. I loved G'kar's role here and he and Londo did a great job together in this one. I can't quite get over their camaraderie that exists between them all of a sudden, but it is still fun to watch. As for the Goa'uld-like aliens that have taken control of the Regent and others, I'm not sure if these are supposed to be the Drakh or if it is another race that used to be an ally to the Shadows.

Certainly seems like the aliens have some sort of telepathic or telekenetic powers too. They also seem to want Londo alive for some reason, once again pointing towards the outcome we already know, which is Londo as emperor.
                              sigpic

Comment

The Unas-lookalikes are the Drakh (I'm glad they skipped the half-in-otherspace effect used for the first encounter near the end of the Shadow war). The Keepers are rather intimately connected to the Drakh. I suspect that the Keepers are just the tool and that the Drakh are actually in control of the Regent.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X