No announcement yet.

Babylon 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wont spoil it, but after watching the Lost tales, I thought they were two fantasticly written Character pieces, and the CGI and small-budget worked well. they did a great job..hope they do more.. b5 is still the BEST sci-fi show.
    Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
    Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

I haven't seen The Lost Tales yet, as I'm just about to start S5, but I hope it's good. There are two more parts to The Lost Tales coming out right?
      Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
      Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
      Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
      --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Studio Daily: Updating Babylon 5's VFX for Direct-to-DVD Lost Tales:

From Studio Daily:

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news...ines/8391.html

(Please follow the link for the complete interview. There are photos at the site.)

Updating Babylon 5's VFX for Direct-to-DVD Lost Tales

Atmosphere Visual Effects Brings Old Models Up to Date

By Bryant Frazer

August 3, 2007

It’s one thing to do groundbreaking VFX work on a show like Battlestar Galactica, which dramatically reinvented the look of the original 1970s TV series for a contemporary audience. But it’s quite another to start working on an upgrade of a not-so-long-in-the-tooth program like Babylon 5, which aired from 1994 to 1998. Babylon 5 helped usher in the era of CG VFX for television — while its effects are more primitive than today’s state of the art, they’re not a completely different animal. That mean that, when Atmosphere Visual Effects started work on the new direct-to-video release Babylon 5: The Lost Tales, it had to lift the CG to match today’s standards without making any alterations that would alienate the substantial fan base. VFX Supervisor Andrew Karr talked to us about updating 10-year-old spaceship models, plotting out camera angles and lighting in advance, and destroying a futuristic New York City.

**massive snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
          I haven't seen The Lost Tales yet, as I'm just about to start S5, but I hope it's good. There are two more parts to The Lost Tales coming out right?
          It depends on the sales of this first DVD. JMS has said that this project was a test bed with a limited budget and if the sales are high enough he will insist on having a larger budget from Warner Bros. to work with on subsequent releases. I think I have read that JMS has outlined about 6-8 eight more stories, so there could be at least 2 or 3 more.
          Spoiler:
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redhooks View Post
            JMS has said that this project was a test bed with a limited budget and if the sales are high enough he will insist on having a larger budget from Warner Bros. to work with on subsequent releases. I think I have read that JMS has outlined about 6-8 eight more stories, so there could be at least 2 or 3 more.
            I really hope there are more. I like Joe's writing, the characters, the quotable quotes. But my lukewarm response to the first issue (glad I bought it, will watch it again, but found it mostly unremarkable) highlights three problems that are probably insurmountable:

1) Babylon 5 arouses such fervor because it's a rich tapesty. Episodes affect other episodes, or are affected by others (yet it doesn't require contiguous devotion like a soap opera or 24). "Over Here" and "Over There" don't have that sense of being part of something. If this self-containment is typical of "The Lost Tales" episodes, the series will have no more appeal to Babylon 5 fans than The Outer Limits. That's going to cut deeply into the pre-order DVD sales of subsequent episodes, which are how the studio is gauging the show's value.

2) Most people just aren't wealthy enough to shell out $30 once or twice a year for an hour's worth of entertainment. And those who are would need a hell of an incentive. But the only incentive powerful enough would be something as bold and brilliant as the original Babylon 5 series. Which no one--anywhere--is going to do in direct-to-DVD, because the production expenses would be so high the only way they could launch it would be as a TV show first. Keep an eye on Stargate SG-1: The first two movies may have the "look and feel" of SG-1, but now the show has been dismantled and the crew dispersed, any subsequent movie or episode will feel like a shadow of Stargate SG-1. Fans will complain bitterly, and I'll point people to this post (assuming this forum still exists then).

3) Finally, the fans themselves badly misrepresent Babylon 5 to newcomers. Look it up in a search engine, YouTube, or see how it's referenced in forums like this one. What do you see? --Ships and battles, ships and battles, ships and battles. But ask people why they watched the series and you'll hear about character and story, character and story, character and story. That's some pretty serious dissonance, and it leads people to expect Babylon 5--and The Lost Tales--to be something other than it actually is.
            Last edited by Wordsmit2; 04 August 2007, 02:40 AM.
            Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

I broke down and bought a copy of Lost Tales on Amazon, I am really excited about seeing new B5.

Comment

is the new babylon 5 worth buying.......

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
                Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
                http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Originally posted by teal'c2006 View Post
                  is the new babylon 5 worth buying.......
                  I thought it was but I am a hardcore B5 geek.
                  Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Yes.

I saw an advertisement for it during Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis today. Good to see that they're marketing it on TV. I didn't think their budget was big enough for it.

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

Even if it were terrible, I'd still buy it in the hope that good sales get another one made. I'm looking for a Garbaldi and/or Londo story in the near future. (And being the freak that I am, I crave the full-set of DVDs.)

ETA: The chances are slim and none but anything Bester related as well. The Psi-Corps trilogy made him one of my all time favourite characters.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I think JMS said the next one might be about Garibaldi. Not sure though. A Bester story would be nice. Wasn't he supposed to be in a Crusade ep before it got canceled? I know they released the script for it.

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.

Comment

I think JMS said the next one might be about Garibaldi. Not sure though. A Bester story would be nice. Wasn't he supposed to be in a Crusade ep before it got canceled? I know they released the script for it.
                          Interesting I never heard that.

Has anyone ever heard what JMS was planning for Sinclair? I know when he was in the first season JMS had some grand story for him. Then he left and BB took over as Captain.

Comment

He was still gonna have Sinclair as Valen, but not have it revealed until somewhere near the end of S5.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think the intention for Sinclair was the same story with the same approximate timing -- Season Three. The main Shadow War and Earth story arcs were primarily Sheridan stories.
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

He was still gonna have Sinclair as Valen, but not have it revealed until somewhere near the end of S5.
                                Originally posted by Darren View Post
                                I could be wrong, but I think the intention for Sinclair was the same story with the same approximate timing -- Season Three. The main Shadow War and Earth story arcs were primarily Sheridan stories.
                                Actually I believe Xicer is correct. JMS is selling script books for the whole series and if you buy all 14 available for sale before the last one is released you get the 15th one free. In the 15th one, JMS includes "The memo from JMS to Warner Bros. describing the 5 year arc with Sinclair still present."

You can find all the info at:
                                http://www.babylon5scripts.com/
                                Spoiler:
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X