• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    That doesn't make sense either.
    I know... *shrug*

We shall have to redouble our efforts to prevent you guys from ever getting out again!
    I suggest an electrified fence.

Brussels has added extra measures. All bars, cafes and restaurants have to close in the coming month.

Should have done that a month ago but oh well... not my call to make.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Brussels has added extra measures. All bars, cafes and restaurants have to close in the coming month.

Should have done that a month ago but oh well... not my call to make.
      If you ask me, they never should have re-opened after the initial shutdown, at least in the US. I imagine it's similar in your neck of the woods.
      As I've said, eating out is a completely optional activity, as is going to bars and whatnot. I understand some services have to be maintained, food supply and other essential stuff, but there is no justification (aside from making money for the rich) for keeping services which facilitate necessary socialization open.

Comment

The problem is Annoyed, is that you will get endless debate about what is deemed "essential".
        That, and the fact that the people who are actually on the front lines for those indisputable essential services are paid crap, and treated like crap.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I had a friend say during the shutdown it's not essential workers but expendable workers
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            The problem is Annoyed, is that you will get endless debate about what is deemed "essential".
            That, and the fact that the people who are actually on the front lines for those indisputable essential services are paid crap, and treated like crap.
            It's not that difficult. People have to eat or they die. Or worse. (cannibalism, etc.) So the grocery industry is essential. However, no one ever died or resorted to cannibalism because the local Friday's or Olive Garden was closed. They can go home and eat. So they are clearly nonessential.

Drive thru / fast food is the exception, there is very little personal contact inherent with those operations. But you could actually close every sit down dine in type restaurant down and it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              I had a friend say during the shutdown it's not essential workers but expendable workers
              Your friend is not wrong. I made a similar point here at the start of this mess. But what is the alternative? The food supply chain can't be shut down.

Comment

It's not that difficult. People have to eat or they die. Or worse. (cannibalism, etc.) So the grocery industry is essential. However, no one ever died or resorted to cannibalism because the local Friday's or Olive Garden was closed. They can go home and eat. So they are clearly nonessential.
                You missed my point.
                Drive thru / fast food is the exception, there is very little personal contact inherent with those operations. But you could actually close every sit down dine in type restaurant down and it wouldn't bother me a bit.
                It will when it blows your economy.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Your friend is correct.
                  Shut down all the petrol stations and grocery stores and maybe, MAYBE people will realize how important those people are.
                  But I doubt it.
                  sigpic

Comment

You missed my point.

It will when it blows your economy.
                    You're arguing against your own points. First, you say that the essentials are paid like crap, and then you say that closing the restaurants are going to crash the economy.

Nowhere is the "paid like crap" argument more appropriate than the restaurant industry which pays most workers sub-minimum wages. Sure, the serving staff can make out like bandits, but the rest of the folks who make the place function get squat. So their loss isn't going to have a great effect on the economy as a whole. They don't make enough and therefore don't spend enough to make all that much of a difference.

Comment

Your friend is correct.
                      Shut down all the petrol stations and grocery stores and maybe, MAYBE people will realize how important those people are.
                      But I doubt it.
                      I *think* the people get it. But the business owners who set the wages, not so much.

Comment

You're arguing against your own points. First, you say that the essentials are paid like crap, and then you say that closing the restaurants are going to crash the economy.
                        No, I'm not.
                        Nowhere is the "paid like crap" argument more appropriate than the restaurant industry
                        Really?
                        What about the people like MG who get paid crap, are on the front lines every day and have no chance to get "tips"?
                        The checkout person who gets no tips?
                        which pays most workers sub-minimum wages. Sure, the serving staff can make out like bandits, but the rest of the folks who make the place function get squat.
                        Correct.
                        So their loss isn't going to have a great effect on the economy as a whole. They don't make enough and therefore don't spend enough to make all that much of a difference.
                        Your economy is fueled by people who don't make enough money.
                        sigpic

Comment

I *think* the people get it. But the business owners who set the wages, not so much.
                          If only there was a way to mandate higher wages.....
                          sigpic

Comment

No, I'm not.

Really?
                            What about the people like MG who get paid crap, are on the front lines every day and have no chance to get "tips"?

Correct.

Replying via PM to avoid moderation.

Comment

We have contact-less food deliveries.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

No, I'm not.

Really?

Correct.

actually Whole Foods/Amazon is pretty generous IMO...$15/hour to start and then a recent raise for me to over $16/hour is nothing to sneeze at and is actually quite generous for grocery/retail work...a LOT better than the crap wages I got paid working food service so I think Annoyed has more of a point here when he said that food service workers (at least here in the US, could be different down under) get paid practically slave wages

only problem is that with increases in wages come resultant increases in the cost of living (because business owners aren't just gonna keep absorbing ever-increasing costs of doing business without pushing at least some of that cost onto the consumer)....so even at $15/hour full time it could be difficult (though not impossible I think) to find an apartment within my budget (though I feel confident that I can actually get by with very little aside from the basics of electricity, heat/air conditioning, and running water...for example if I get an apartment in a few years within walking distance of work I could forgo having a car)

Comment

Working...
                                X