The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    No, it's degree of exposure and access to medical care.

Poor people tend to be in close contact with more people, because of the nature of work, use of public transport and larger social circle.

Poor people, especially in countries where healthcare is expensive, also tend to write off covid-related symptoms as something minor because they don't want to skip work unless absolutely necessary, and they put off medical treatment for fear of getting stuck with huge bills. Poor people are also more prone to attempting all sorts of "alternative medicine".

Quite a few "big shots" died from corona actually, just google it.
    Poor people also tend to not go to the doctor for yearly checkups/preventative care, so they end up having a lot of different health issues that put them at a higher risk of getting more severe systems and therefore are more likely to die.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
      The antibodies go away with time (though your immune system remembers and that offers some protection if you've been previously infected). I have a coworker who got covid in late April (while we were shutdown), she recently had an antibody test done and she was told she had a very low antibody count, like they were almost all gone.
      Immunity to coronaviruses is generally short-lived, common cold being prime example - but prior exposure may lead to less severe illness. Which is why I believe that when covid vaccine will arrive, it will not be a one-and-done kind of lifetime protection but will require repeated inoculation every 6 months or so.
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

real big shots? top world leaders? Koch level corporate honchos? just google one

Which is why I believe that when covid vaccine will arrive, it will not be a one-and-done kind of lifetime protection but will require repeated inoculation every 6 months or so.
        pharma industry wont mind

Comment

so damn predictable

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...date-lockdown/

the president was fever-free, was not on oxygen and was not having difficulty breathing.
          only fools didn't see that one coming

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            I got news for you. Even if it was free, I wouldn't take a newly released or "experimental" vaccine. I'll wait a few years to see if anyone dies from it.
            As far as vaccine-news goes, according to the local science peeps out here, they say that it will take well into 2024 before everyone has been vaccinated.

Now, if we go with what Womble says...

Immunity to coronaviruses is generally short-lived, common cold being prime example - but prior exposure may lead to less severe illness. Which is why I believe that when covid vaccine will arrive, it will not be a one-and-done kind of lifetime protection but will require repeated inoculation every 6 months or so.
            ...it means that this vaccine would be like the flu-shots one can get every new season.

So, we're inoculating every year.

Latest in that line is that Japanese fashion designer, Kenzo, though he was 91 years old. Maybe not the best example.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              As far as vaccine-news goes, according to the local science peeps out here, they say that it will take well into 2024 before everyone has been vaccinated.

Now, if we go with what Womble says...

...it means that this vaccine would be like the flu-shots one can get every new season.

So, we're inoculating every year.
              I"m not a Doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but it's my understanding that vaccines work by showing the body's defense systems an example of what they're supposed to fight so when under actual attack, the body can quickly, from "memory", manufacture antibodies to attack the invader.
              But the catch is that the invader has to be an exact match to the example that it has been shown. Every year, there are slightly different variations or strains of the flu which are expected to be spread, this is why you need a flu shot every year.

If CV mutates, it's going to put us in the same boat; we'll need vaccines for each variant. If in fact CV was designed by man, making a vaccine will be far more difficult as it will have been designed from the start to mutate. Man in general is a pretty sneaky, diabolical creature and I would expect an engineered bioweapon to include this capability.

Latest in that line is that Japanese fashion designer, Kenzo, though he was 91 years old. Maybe not the best example.
              Quite true, there have been many examples of the rich & famous succumbing to CV. In this case, however, some people want certain people to be seriously afflicted.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                If CV mutates, it's going to put us in the same boat...
                It already has... The strain running its course through the US is different from the strain which ran through Wuhan. The DNA of the New York strain was traced back to Europe, which had a mutated version from the strain coming from the east.

Comment

It already has... The strain running its course through the US is different from the strain which ran through Wuhan. The DNA of the New York strain was traced back to Europe, which had a mutated version from the strain coming from the east.
                  you darn Europeans...why do you think we're trying so hard to keep you locked up?

Comment

Hey MG.
                    Do you guys have plexiglass around your tills at work?
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                      you darn Europeans...why do you think we're trying so hard to keep you locked up?

Just released today -- as of october 9th until november 9th, our restrictions are made tighter again.

* cafes, bars and restaurants have to close at 11pm
                      * no more than 4 people can sit around the same table, exemptions only for families or friends who live under the same roof
                      * gatherings at home can be with no more than 4 people outside of your housemates, and no more than 10 max (children are not included in the count)
                      * close contacts are reduced from 5 people to 3 -- close contacts means hugging and kissing so basically family members or really close friends
                      * working from home has to be the norm, at least several days a week -- many employers have made it mandatory to return to the office (I have to work from the office a minimum of 2 days a week -- only a very good reason excempts me from this ruling).

Comment

* gatherings at home can be with no more than 4 people outside of your housemates, and no more than 10 max
                        how the hell will they enforce that - police cams in every private household?

(children are not included in the count)
                        why?

Comment

* cafes, bars and restaurants have to close at 11pm
                          What, CV wears a watch now? Just close them. Eating out and carousing at bars are hardly "essential" activities.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                            how the hell will they enforce that - police cams in every private household?
                            Common sense... *shrug*

Apparently children are considered a non-issue when it comes to contracting and spreading the virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              Hey MG.
                              Do you guys have plexiglass around your tills at work?
                              yes we have big plexiglass shields in front of the cashier.....and a spray-down of the belts with sanitizer spray after each order....and I also typically wear plastic gloves when bagging an order (though sometimes I forget to put them on but it would seem most people don't care)

Comment

Common sense... *shrug*

Apparently children are considered a non-issue when it comes to contracting and spreading the virus.
                                That doesn't make sense either.

We shall have to redouble our efforts to prevent you guys from ever getting out again!

Comment

Working...
                                X