The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    The reports of people in China? One if the doctors there was saying that their tests are only 30%-50% accurate, that they get a lot of false negatives, so that might be one of the reasons for that. That whistle-blower doctor who died there early on apparently had 2 negative tests before he actually ended up testing positive. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be looked into, but that's not a reason not to start testing people for antibodies. There was was a test to do that recently approved here. People can't stay in lockdown forever, living in fear that they might catch something and die.
    Our entire "shut down and let it run its course" approach is based on the assumption that once a person has and recovers from this, they are immune. The possibility that this doesn't apply needs to be positively refuted before we make any decision about re-opening.

What if it is a new breed of threat that can be caught again? After all, this damned thing might have been engineered.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      One thing that is pissing me off about this whole thing is a ridiculous bunch of new set-asides that are coming into existence over this.

First, let me say this isn't sour grapes. I am old enough and have pre-existing crap that qualifies me for this crap.

Grocery stores & others are starting to reserve the first hours of the day for 60 and over, or those at risk, They are also creating preferred parking spots for various groups. Several people have outright said that it's to give the seniors first crack at stocks that came in overnight. I don't care if eligible or not, this is just flat out wrong. Younger folks don't deserve to get scarce supplies? But I guess that's what we are these days. The United States of Entitlement.
      Not really. Most stores only do the risk hours 2-3 times a week. Trucks come all the time from vendors and grocery store warehouse. The Walmart I sell at usually doesn't get their grocery shipments into the afternoon. The truck from my company usually doesn't come until late morning
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Not really. Most stores only do the risk hours 2-3 times a week. Trucks come all the time from vendors and grocery store warehouse. The Walmart I sell at usually doesn't get their grocery shipments into the afternoon. The truck from my company usually doesn't come until late morning
        And the newly received product sits in the back till overnight restocking...

Comment

And the newly received product sits in the back till overnight restocking...
          No
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Our entire "shut down and let it run its course" approach is based on the assumption that once a person has and recovers from this, they are immune. The possibility that this doesn't apply needs to be positively refuted before we make any decision about re-opening.

What if it is a new breed of threat that can be caught again? After all, this damned thing might have been engineered.
            It doesn't seem likely that those people were actually reinfected to begin with. And those people who were possibly/supposedly reinfected didn't get tested for antibodies, they just took a regular test. If they were tested for antibodies, had them, and then got sick again, then we would know if there was a problem with maybe another strain out there.
            sigpic

Comment

It doesn't seem likely that those people were actually reinfected to begin with. And those people who were possibly/supposedly reinfected didn't get tested for antibodies, they just took a regular test. If they were tested for antibodies, had them, and then got sick again, then we would know if there was a problem with maybe another strain out there.
              Considering what might happen if it can recurr, isn't it safer to maintain isolation till we *know*?

Comment

Considering what might happen if it can recurr, isn't it safer to maintain isolation till we *know*?
                If this were a super deadly virus that was capable of wiping out the entire human race, yes, but in this case, I'd say no. As long as your hospitals are good and the people at high risk are taking a lot of precautions, like staying maybe quarantined for a while longer, it should be OK. Most of the problems/deaths are coming from hospitals being low on resources (including space and personel) because of the amount of people in them, so they can't properly care for and save patients, and older people and people with certain medical conditions dying. Does it pose a risk to everyone's health in some way (though 80% of people only get mild symptoms), yes, can "healthy" people die too, sure they can, but normally healthy people can die from the flu too. I mean I have a cold right now. It could be more than a cold, or it could just be a regular cold. I'm not freaking out about it (and not going out spreading my germs around either).
                sigpic

Comment

My Corona by Chris Mann

Comment

If this were a super deadly virus that was capable of wiping out the entire human race, yes, but in this case, I'd say no. As long as your hospitals are good and the people at high risk are taking a lot of precautions, like staying maybe quarantined for a while longer, it should be OK. Most of the problems/deaths are coming from hospitals being low on resources (including space and personel) because of the amount of people in them, so they can't properly care for and save patients, and older people and people with certain medical conditions dying. Does it pose a risk to everyone's health in some way (though 80% of people only get mild symptoms), yes, can "healthy" people die too, sure they can, but normally healthy people can die from the flu too. I mean I have a cold right now. It could be more than a cold, or it could just be a regular cold. I'm not freaking out about it (and not going out spreading my germs around either).
                    But that's just it. This virus IS deadly to a significant number of people. Unless you're willing to just throw them away, isn't better to stay the course until we know more about this?

Comment

My daughter has been watching a lot of you tube videos lately, a lot of them are bathroom (poo) related for some reason, and she's been sharing them with me lol. This is an older video, she found that I'd never seen before but found funny/catchy.

sigpic

Comment

But that's just it. This virus IS deadly to a significant number of people. Unless you're willing to just throw them away, isn't better to stay the course until we know more about this?
                        I'm not saying throw them away, I'm saying protect them, have them stay home longer practicing social distancing, you can send the people who have antibodies who aren't in a high risk group first, see if they get reinfected if you want to start with that.
                        sigpic

Comment

Screenshot_20200329-082811_Chrome.jpg

I have one of these lol. One of my dogs is dog reactive on walks (he's dog friendly once he gets to know a dog, but he's very bossy/territorial in general).
                          sigpic

Comment

I found a "social distance" measure for paleontologists: safe distance of 1 velociraptor.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I'm not saying throw them away, I'm saying protect them, have them stay home longer practicing social distancing, you can send the people who have antibodies who aren't in a high risk group first, see if they get reinfected if you want to start with that.
                              The idea here is to stop the spread of this. We don't know much about this virus. How long before symptoms can people be carriers, spreading it to others? As I understand it, some folks can be completely asymptomatic and still have and spread it. And god help us if it can recur in the same person, that would rewrite our ideas on immunity completely. The only way to minimize the number of carriers is to maintain our lockdown for everyone. Just because the youngsters don't seem to be as hard hit by it (and that's not set in stone either, permanent lung damage?) doesn't mean that won't be spreading it around if they're let out of their cages. I think we've had more than ample demonstration that people in general cannot be relied upon to behave themselves without govt. coercion.

Also, how many "at risk" people simply can't stay home? They have to obtain food and other essentials.

No, I'm sorry, but if you ask me, maintaining or mandatory closures until well after this subsides is the safest path. Anything else is just sacrificing people's lives in order to keep business and wall street happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                I found a "social distance" measure for paleontologists: safe distance of 1 velociraptor.
                                speaking of 'social distance'

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...sures-11965352

an honest mistake: they heard 'social dance'

#koronaraoke

Comment

Working...
                                X