The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And another fine example of stupidity from government officials:

A cruise ship headed to Florida has reported more sick people on board after 4 die and 2 test positive for Covid-19

This plague ship has been denied dockage by more sensible places, but how much you want to bet they end up letting this thing dock in the port at Everglades.

Maybe I'm getting old, they say memory is the first thing to go... But I seem to recall something like this just before the first case of CV showed up in California.

If they let this thing dock, the responsible public official ought to be brought to trial on whatever criminal charges can be brought, including murder for people who die as a result of letting this thing dock.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      I think you are severely underestimating the number of people stuck working in low-wage jobs. 1100x52 weeks = 57,200 /year salary.
      NYC is a bubble, but outside of that, very few people (aside from govt. employees) make that.
      Yet nyc is the area that's been hardest. Middle class people here might be getting paid more, but they've got more expenses, especially people with families. If you own a house in NYC (a regular house in a regular neighborhood), your property taxes can be in the $10,000 a year range (depending on the area and lot size it can be more or it can be less). You're also paying for water and sewer, you paying for gas and electric, health insurance if you can afford, that can be another $500 to $1000 or more a month, depending on the plan, number of people on it, and coverage (my mom was on a Medicare supplement plan before she passed and even that was $300 a month, with a seperate plan for prescriptions). If you're renting, by me, a
      3 bedroom is around 2300-2500 or more a month, other areas, like Manhattan, are far more expensive. Then there's all the other various bills people have. $1100 (if they can get that will be fine for most people short term (as unemployment is meant to be) not months and months of lockdown and then months and months of trying to find a job once everything is over (since most are not likely to still have a job to go back to if a lockdown goes on for months). Low wage job people aren't going to be getting the $500 max amt (or whatever the max in your state is). Everyone is not going to be seeing a windfall of money and be better off than they were. My issue was never with low wage workers not getting enough ( since they're generally not going to have the same expenses as a middle class household and some of them might already be receiving other benefits). I think low wage workers and rich people would be fine, but like I said previously the middle class would be more affected, especially those with families.
      Last edited by VampyreWraith; 30 March 2020, 04:49 AM. Reason: Added and fixed for clarity and because replying is hard to do on a phone lol
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
        eh....I don't know, an anonymous source talking about an anonymous company, this sounds a little fishy to me.
        I think the employees who brought this up may not have mentioned the name of the company because they might be afraid of getting fired. If that information has only been given out to select individuals, the company they work for would know its them and might retaliate. By not naming the company, and remaining anonymous themselves, they could claim that the report must have been about another company.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
          We're going to have to agree to disagree on this. You're not going to convince me that it's necessary for everyone to stay inside until well after "the virus has run its course" or subsided (who knows when that will be)
          The estimated guess for Belgium is that we'll reach the tip of the curve this week or next week, after which we'll see a reduction of cases.

As we'll make it into Summer, and our movement will continue to be restricted... by which I mean, we won't be going on any sort of vacation this year since we won't be allowed to. We can scratch that campervan trip through Spain off our itinerary this year. We'll be trekking through Belgium instead -- lots of beautiful places here too that we haven't visited yet (or that my sister hasn't visited yet, like she's never been to see the Last Post in Ypres).

...we're to expect a fresh wave come next cold season. A vaccine isn't going to be properly viable until at the very least 2022 so we're going to have to make do with what little herd immunity we can get until such time, and hope they find some medications which slow the virus and support our bodies fighting it when/if we do get it eventually.

Virus experts estimate that those who have developed antibodies against it, are protected for up to two years, much like the flu in a way.

So we're basically not done with the social distancing. Point in fact, that'll be the new normal from now on.

South Korea hasn't done the whole extended lockdown for everyone and they seem to be doing well...
          Because South-Koreans gave up most of their privacy to fight the thing...

How South Korea is handling the coronavirus outbreak better than other countries
          From drive-thru testing to GPS tracking, South Korea has handled its cases in innovative ways.

They tested extensively. Collected GPS tracking of infected and sick people so as to warn others to avoid those areas. Closed schools and offices and have heat-seeking infrared camera's at building entrances, and people informing others to keep their distance, wash hands and stay safe.

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
          the thing I wonder about is what about china and Russia, will they put them selves out there as a "stabilizing force" OR will they launch wars of conquest to expand their territory , will this lead to a third world war, or will it mean that the U.S. is going to have competition in the world stability game.
          Russia and China will definitely put themselves forward, in order to eat the cookie the USA has been dropping. The US has been a blip on the "stabilizing radar" for a while now.

Besides, the USA will be too busy getting their portion of Covid-19 under control.

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post

Add a bit of cauliflower and there's a guaranteed 10-mile radius of personal space.

Let it dock, quarantine the ship.
          Get the sick passengers off and straight to a hospital.

Everyone else needs to be tested. Those positive -- watched to see how they progress -- on board.

Those negative -- get them off and mandatory 14-day quarantine before letting them go home.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            The estimated guess for Belgium is that we'll reach the tip of the curve this week or next week, after which we'll see a reduction of cases.

As we'll make it into Summer, and our movement will continue to be restricted... by which I mean, we won't be going on any sort of vacation this year since we won't be allowed to. We can scratch that campervan trip through Spain off our itinerary this year. We'll be trekking through Belgium instead -- lots of beautiful places here too that we haven't visited yet (or that my sister hasn't visited yet, like she's never been to see the Last Post in Ypres).

...we're to expect a fresh wave come next cold season. A vaccine isn't going to be properly viable until at the very least 2022 so we're going to have to make do with what little herd immunity we can get until such time, and hope they find some medications which slow the virus and support our bodies fighting it when/if we do get it eventually.

Virus experts estimate that those who have developed antibodies against it, are protected for up to two years, much like the flu in a way.

So we're basically not done with the social distancing. Point in fact, that'll be the new normal from now on.
            I think that's a good way to go about it. I don't think anyplace should go back to full blown normal right away. It should be done in steps.

Because South-Koreans gave up most of their privacy to fight the thing...

How South Korea is handling the coronavirus outbreak better than other countries
            From drive-thru testing to GPS tracking, South Korea has handled its cases in innovative ways.

They tested extensively. Collected GPS tracking of infected and sick people so as to warn others to avoid those areas. Closed schools and offices and have heat-seeking infrared camera's at building entrances, and people informing others to keep their distance, wash hands and stay safe.
            I realize that, I also posted an article about how South Korea handled things in the other thread, before this one opened. I personally think giving up privacy for awhile would be preferable to thousands of people dying, but like I said their culture is different. But it's not like most of the apps people here have on their phone aren't tracking them anyway with that info getting sold or shared in some cases.
            sigpic

Comment

...but like I said their culture is different. But it's not like most of the apps people here have on their phone aren't tracking them anyway with that info getting sold or shared in some cases.
              In the case of Europe, we have very strict privacy rules... Remember the GDPR last year. That's us.

Comment

Let it dock, quarantine the ship.
                Get the sick passengers off and straight to a hospital.

Everyone else needs to be tested. Those positive -- watched to see how they progress -- on board.

Those negative -- get them off and mandatory 14-day quarantine before letting them go home.
                No... Let it anchor 12 miles out (international waters) and airdrop them what they need. I hear our navy can do that quite easily.

'Cause I guarantee you if you let it dock and do what you want, some compassionate, soft-brained do-gooder will start making exceptions for certain special cases. Like what happened in California before the first case hit the U.S.

Comment

Yet nyc is the area that's been hardest. Middle class people here might be getting paid more, but they've got more expenses, especially people with families. If you own a house in NYC (a regular house in a regular neighborhood), your property taxes can be in the $10,000 a year range (depending on the area and lot size it can be more or it can be less). You're also paying for water and sewer, you paying for gas and electric, health insurance if you can afford, that can be another $500 to $1000 or more a month, depending on the plan, number of people on it, and coverage (my mom was on a Medicare supplement plan before she passed and even that was $300 a month, with a seperate plan for prescriptions). If you're renting, by me, a
                  3 bedroom is around 2300-2500 or more a month, other areas, like Manhattan, are far more expensive. Then there's all the other various bills people have. $1100 (if they can get that will be fine for most people short term (as unemployment is meant to be) not months and months of lockdown and then months and months of trying to find a job once everything is over (since most are not likely to still have a job to go back to if a lockdown goes on for months). Low wage job people aren't going to be getting the $500 max amt (or whatever the max in your state is). Everyone is not going to be seeing a windfall of money and be better off than they were. My issue was never with low wage workers not getting enough ( since they're generally not going to have the same expenses as a middle class household and some of them might already be receiving other benefits). I think low wage workers and rich people would be fine, but like I said previously the middle class would be more affected, especially those with families.
                  Bah. I can't even use this site on my phone; I can't run adblockers on Firefox/IOS.

But anyway..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

Ignore the anything east of Albany. I've said NYC is a bubble, and Albany is where our overpaid state employees rake it in.. Look at the per capita income for the rest of the state. No where near 57K.

I realize it's harder for NYC folks, but everything about the whole area exerts a very high amount of negative pressure.

Comment

No... Let it anchor 12 miles out (international waters) and airdrop them what they need. I hear our navy can do that quite easily.

'Cause I guarantee you if you let it dock and do what you want, some compassionate, soft-brained do-gooder will start making exceptions for certain special cases. Like what happened in California before the first case hit the U.S.
                    No, these people have every right to medical care at ICU's (if they are in need of such treatment which many do). If the Navy has those facilities on board, they could probably be the hospital.

No special treatment -- quarantine everyone up to 14 days, and test them all for infection.

After that time period, you may leave again.
                    It's not their fault.

Comment

Bah. I can't even use this site on my phone; I can't run adblockers on Firefox/IOS.

But anyway..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

Ignore the anything east of Albany. I've said NYC is a bubble, and Albany is where our overpaid state employees rake it in.. Look at the per capita income for the rest of the state. No where near 57K.

I realize it's harder for NYC folks, but everything about the whole area exerts a very high amount of negative pressure.
                      Short term even most of the nyc people sould be fine if they can get unemployment, most people would be able to skip some bills, if they need to. But with the months and months of lockdown you're suggesting, that wouldn't be sustainable. Unemployment benefits don't last forever even if they extend the length of time people can be on it, the well will eventually run dry and benefits will have to be cut. And if you're on lockdown months and months it's going to be all the more harder to find a job once it's over, because more and more businesses would go under.

The phone screen is tiny so I can only see a portion of longer replys that I'm typing, I'm constantly hitting the wrong letter/symbol and autocorrct likes to do its own thing too, so it's all very annoying lol, then when I go to make things bigger to fix typos the ads also get bigger lol. I might have to start using an ad locker.
                      sigpic

Comment

In the case of Europe, we have very strict privacy rules... Remember the GDPR last year. That's us.
                        You have manually stop most apps from tracking you constantly here. Most apps that have permissions to use your location are always active and tracking you even when the app is closed because that's the default setting in a lot of them. Some places/states have more specific and strict laws regarding on how that collected info can be used and whether it can be shared. But as long as that info is stored or collected somewhere things can aways end up getting shared even when they're not supposed to be.
                        sigpic

Comment

One of my best friend has got a confirmed corona + test. She said she had fever, but hardly any cough. But she has also described the loss of smells as she couldn't feel the parfumes, flowers or cut onions in the kitchen for days. So maybe this little personal information can help on self diagnose if you feel you maybe caught it too.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                            One of my best friend has got a confirmed corona + test. She said she had fever, but hardly any cough. But she has also described the loss of smells as she couldn't feel the parfumes, flowers or cut onions in the kitchen for days. So maybe this little personal information can help on self diagnose if you feel you maybe caught it too.
                            Yeah, I'd read that the loss of taste and smell is a common symptom for a lot of people who get it, thanks for sharing about your friend. I hope she feels better soon.
                            sigpic

Comment

You have manually stop most apps from tracking you constantly here. Most apps that have permissions to use your location are always active and tracking you even when the app is closed because that's the default setting in a lot of them. Some places/states have more specific and strict laws regarding on how that collected info can be used and whether it can be shared. But as long as that info is stored or collected somewhere things can aways end up getting shared even when they're not supposed to be.
                              I gotta admit the Europeans have a far better handle on spyware than we do. In my opinion the end user for anything, web sites, phone apps, TV's or whatever should have to give explicit opt-in consent for any company to collect any information about anything. And the company should not be able to withhold service if the user doesn't agree. The only exception would be information technically needed to provide the service such as a web server must know your computer's IP address in order for it to send you the web page you want to see. This does NOT include things like "our advertisers need to collect info to sell or whatever".

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                Why don’t y’all stick to your experiences, how things are for you. How you are dealing with lockdowns or social distancing. How you manage to get grocery shopping done. Tips to cope with social isolation. Heck on another place people were even sharing recipes.

Less about whose fault it is and more about solidarity and getting through it.

I have watching more TV especially HGTV. I especially like when they go to House Hunting in The UK & Europe and show what houses and apartment are like over there. Some are quite different and smaller than those in my part of CANADA. I also subscribed to Amazon Prime and Netflix. I also decided to check in here after a long time away.

Before all this happened I bought a new laptop. It was just in the nick of time because afterwards everything started closing up. With all this time just hanging out at home I decided after almost 8 years to make a new Stargate Vid. It is a Daniel & Vala vid. If you want to do see I have posted it in the Daniel & Vala Appreciation thread and the music vid thread.

Things are quiet here. Just trying to stay positive.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

Working...
                                X