X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    @ Annoyed

They aren't on-the-fly drugs. They are already being used to treat HIV and the other is a drug against Malaria.

They had pretty succesful results against the virus in test tubes but they have to find out how it responds to human physiology.
    And that's why we want to do human trials in a month. There are 50 hospitals already linked in to do this out here, and given the lockdown order we got handed today I am sure it will soon be every hospital and university research lab will be on it as well. what needs to happen is for all the various research teams around the world need to co-ordinate their efforts, tgis is not about money, it's the millions of lives that will be lost otherwise.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Thing is, it's my understanding that medical science has yet to come up with a cure for any virus, regardless of whether it's the common cold, infuenza or HIV. We can vaccinate against some, but we can't cure any. And a vaccine must be the exact match to the virus it's targeted against.

Given that, we have very long odds of coming up with a "cure". We will get a vaccine, but it seems to me that shotgun approaches aren't the answer, it must be precisely targeted. And I would be concerned with unintended side effects of anything cooked up in a hurry or repurposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Thing is, it's my understanding that medical science has yet to come up with a cure for any virus, regardless of whether it's the common cold, infuenza or HIV. We can vaccinate against some, but we can't cure any. And a vaccine must be the exact match to the virus it's targeted against.

Given that, we have very long odds of coming up with a "cure". We will get a vaccine, but it seems to me that shotgun approaches aren't the answer, it must be precisely targeted. And I would be concerned with unintended side effects of anything cooked up in a hurry or repurposed.
        That's why you need trials. I agree you can't have a "shotgun" approach here, it would be dangerous and irresponsible, but nor can you use a capitalisitic response either. We're all in this togeather, right around the world. We need to get our crap togeather.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          That's why you need trials. I agree you can't have a "shotgun" approach here, it would be dangerous and irresponsible, but nor can you use a capitalisitic response either. We're all in this togeather, right around the world. We need to get our crap togeather.
          Huh? How did capitalism (or any other economic system) come into this? What I'm saying is that we should not be shortcutting or cheating on the vaccine development process. Run whatever they come up with through the same testing processes as anything else. We could easily did ourselves a bigger hole if we overlook something in our haste.

And, to be practical, at the rate this is spreading in countries that weren't smart enough to slam their doors shut is so fast that by the time they come up with anything, a large part of the population will have had the virus and either developed natural immunity as a result or unfortunately for many, died from it.

The time for action on this was months ago. You can't close the barn doors after the horses have gotten out. Or in, in this case.

Comment

there is an old way of manufacturing vaccine , it is less effective, but it was the way they made the first polio vaccine, you grow as much of the virus as you can and then kill it, then inject it in to you then the immune system makes WEAK anti bodies, a live virus vaccine makes stronger ones, BUT, when you have an infection like what is going on today, you if get it, the body is ready for it, you will still get sick, but the effects of the virus wouldn't be so bad and it would be a milder case of the infection,HOWEVER in some of the people it would be like they NEVER got the shot in the first place and they would still need to go through it and would still be contagious so that is why they don't do the dead vaccine they know IF someone got the shot and still got the virus and gave it to their family the company would be liable for the death of the person. or at the very least the person got sick, and they could be sued over it and the company could loose BILLIONS.

Comment

Huh? How did capitalism (or any other economic system) come into this? What I'm saying is that we should not be shortcutting or cheating on the vaccine development process. Run whatever they come up with through the same testing processes as anything else. We could easily did ourselves a bigger hole if we overlook something in our haste.

And, to be practical, at the rate this is spreading in countries that weren't smart enough to slam their doors shut is so fast that by the time they come up with anything, a large part of the population will have had the virus and either developed natural immunity as a result or unfortunately for many, died from it.

The time for action on this was months ago. You can't close the barn doors after the horses have gotten out. Or in, in this case.
              DUDE REALLY?, the virus has a 2 week incubation period and up until then there is no sign of infection, by the time the first cases were known, it was already all around the world, and spreading, just no one knew about it, if a person from jen shen provence went to hong kong and visited just for 1 day and bumped in to a tourist visiting from America, he was infected, so "closing the barn doors" would be about as pointless as chopping a hole in the bottom of a sinking boat to let the water out.

Comment

What they are trying to do is advance it to where in kills the virus, and they are pretty hopeful it will.
                some viruses adapt to antiviral drugs just like they adapt to vaccines (look @ HIV & flu)

and the other is a drug against Malaria
                a useless one at that

Comment

and this one's for you @Annoyed

let's see how boneheaded some of you mericans are if you're willing to accept this

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                    DUDE REALLY?, the virus has a 2 week incubation period and up until then there is no sign of infection, by the time the first cases were known, it was already all around the world, and spreading, just no one knew about it, if a person from jen shen provence went to hong kong and visited just for 1 day and bumped in to a tourist visiting from America, he was infected, so "closing the barn doors" would be about as pointless as chopping a hole in the bottom of a sinking boat to let the water out.
                    Depends when you slam the doors shut,
                    We first got wind of this in what? December? Suppose we and other nations had been smart and slammed the doors shut then? Suppose every nation on earth required a mandatory 1 month quarantine period for anyone returning or coming from outside the the country in question.

The disease would have been confined to China, played itself out and the crisis would likely be mostly over by now.
                    Instead, we're looking at a worldwide epidemic with an accompanying worldwide recession that will years.

Remember the first cruise ship that was offshore from California? Someone decided to be compassionate and let it dock anyway. 2 weeks later, the US had its first case, in California.

Isolation works, IF you apply it soon enough and strictly enough.

Comment

I don't mean capitalist in an economic sense really, I mean it in terms of teams around the world sharing their research freely in order to get a vaccine or cure out as soon as possible. There are currently 6 teams around the world doing this (one is out here). Also, if we find a cure or vaccine, corps should just produce the stuff and sell it at cost.
                      This should not be a cash grab because the quicker life gets back to normal, the better all nations are of economically anyway.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't mean capitalist in an economic sense really, I mean it in terms of teams around the world sharing their research freely in order to get a vaccine or cure out as soon as possible. There are currently 6 teams around the world doing this (one is out here). Also, if we find a cure or vaccine, corps should just produce the stuff and sell it at cost.
                        This should not be a cash grab because the quicker life gets back to normal, the better all nations are of economically anyway.
                        That's a different ballgame. Quite correct, this should be based on an open source model.

Comment

A vaccine might be here some time 2021 -- when we may see the second wave of the virus...

But for now, we stay in lockdown.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

A vaccine might be here some time 2021 -- when we may see the second wave of the virus...

All my 3 kids have been pulled out of school indefinitely as we are pretty much in lockdown as well. Given that they go to 3 different schools, Mrs GF is a teacher and I work in a Supermarket I can't say I'm that upset. Every person in the house was a viral vector, 3 less is a blessing more than a burden.
                            sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately, you're probably right. We are probably looking at a great many unnecessary deaths and several years of worldwide economic recession if not worse. And it could have been prevented had national leaders in most nations taken the proper steps to prevent its spread from the origin country, China.

What's even worse is that I highly doubt that we (all nations) will take steps to prevent this happening again.

Comment

Unfortunately, you're probably right. We are probably looking at a great many unnecessary deaths and several years of worldwide economic recession if not worse. And it could have been prevented had national leaders in most nations taken the proper steps to prevent its spread from the origin country, China.

What's even worse is that I highly doubt that we (all nations) will take steps to prevent this happening again.
                                SARS2 (cause that's what it really is) is an evolution of the first SARS cause it spreads faster
                                but it's far less deadly than the first one (3% vs 10%)

I reckon a SARS3 as deadly as SARS1 & spreading like SARS2 would jolt everyone awake

Comment

Working...
                                X