This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Unless of course, protectionist trade policies prevent the import of products that undercut US workers.

That's the core of the problem, isn't it? US workers are being forced by international companies to compete with labor forces that earn pennies on the dollar in their lands, or the govt. is subsidizing exports or manipulating currency values or.. the list goes on.
    So basically, you want complete trade isolation. No foreign labor, no exports, no imports?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      So basically, you want complete trade isolation. No foreign labor, no exports, no imports?
      If needed, so be it.

As I've stated for a very long time, people should be expected to provide for and be responsible for themselves; End welfare, and disability only for those truly unable to work, that kind of thing.

The flip side of that is that the society should be able to provide living-wage employment for its citizens. After all, it's not very practical to tell people to get off welfare and get a job if there are no jobs available that they can support themselves with. And I'm not talking about burger flipping jobs that don't pay enough to live on.

We can't do that if we outsource labor or import cheap labor.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
        We have a winner!
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
          I was a little saddened to read this article.

Has the education system failed people?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#1d8f79967ec6
          This is what happens when you have people making educational decisions who have no background in education.
          sigpic

Comment

people should be expected to provide for and be responsible for themselves; End welfare
            +1 it's all about being Prolife™

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops
              I was a little saddened to read this article.

Has the education system failed people?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#1d8f79967ec6
              This is what happens when you have people making educational decisions who have no background in education.
              Or, maybe that's what happens when the schools focus on liberal oriented political indoctrination rather than just plain old school teaching readin', writin' and arithmetic (to borrow a phrase)

Oh, and there's the old "you can't criticize education unless you are an educator with degrees out the wazoo" argument.

Do you have to be a trained auto technician to tell when your car won't start in the morning?

Comment

*eats popcorn*

I love a good conspiracy theory. I also used this tin foil to help cook it. Shouldn't be a problem
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Or, maybe that's what happens when the schools focus on liberal oriented political indoctrination rather than just plain old school teaching readin', writin' and arithmetic (to borrow a phrase)
                  Looking at the demographics breakdown, this is clearly not true. The study shows no clear bias for region or politics. The biggest indicators are age and religion, with younger Americans and more religious Americans corresponding to less belief in a round earth.

Comment

Oh, and there's the old "you can't criticize education unless you are an educator with degrees out the wazoo" argument.

Do you have to be a trained auto technician to tell when your car won't start in the morning?
                    Ya know...just stop. If teachers were allowed to teach their content and not have to worry about things like NCLB (started by a republicant) and mandatory state testing...we'd be better off. You don't have to have a ton of degrees...just common sense (which you seem to lack), With the way you position your arguments...I should be able to perform neurosurgery just because I watched a special on TLC documenting the procedure. So, yes, unless you are trained or have some experience in education...you shouldn't be passing laws for educators. Are you entitled to your opinion, yes, but lawyers and politicians shouldn't make decisions for teachers.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      *eats popcorn*

I love a good conspiracy theory. I also used this tin foil to help cook it. Shouldn't be a problem
                      *Sit's on the couch next to Jel*
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        Looking at the demographics breakdown, this is clearly not true. The study shows no clear bias for region or politics. The biggest indicators are age and religion, with younger Americans and more religious Americans corresponding to less belief in a round earth.
                        I was speaking to the educational system in general. It is very heavily biased, towards the left.

Recently, I had occasion to take an adult ed class in the high school I graduated from back in the 70's.
                        The entire school was decorated with posters promoting left wing agendas, and the classroom itself looked like a union hall for the various education unions. with promotional posters for the NEA, NYSUT and others. This was a classroom, primarily used for social studies/civics as best as I could tell.

This is an unbiased education?

Now, let me tell you about the quality of education provided in this school.

About 10? years ago, some relatives had a child going thru this school. At a family gathering, the discussion turned to WWII and the US being drawn into the war by the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. As children are prone to do, this child piped up, entering the adult conversation. But it shortly became clear that this child didn't have her facts straight. It turned out that the school had taught the kid that the US was the only nation to have used nuclear weapons in actual warfare, and that the US was wrong, evil or whatever you want to call it for doing so.

When asked how exactly the US was drawn into the war, the response was silence. She had never been taught that Japan had carried out a sneak attack at Pearl Harbor, nor had she been taught that Emperor Hirohito would have never surrendered if we hadn't used them, making a very bloody conquest of the the Island of Japan, with far greater loss of life on both sides necessary to end the war.

Revisionist history, taught from an anti-US stance. This isn't political indoctrination?
                        Last edited by Annoyed; 23 April 2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I was speaking to the educational system in general. It is very heavily biased, towards the left.

Recently, I had occasion to take an adult ed class in the high school I graduated from back in the 70's.
                          The entire school was decorated with posters promoting left wing agendas, and the classroom itself looked like a union hall for the various education unions. with promotional posters for the NEA, NYSUT and others. This was a classroom, primarily used for social studies/civics as best as I could tell.

That was ONE classroom that you saw since you graduated over 40 years ago. I have nothing but content related posters on my walls and pennants for various colleges across the country. Oh excuse me...I do have a Lincoln saying and Teddy Roosevelt saying on my wall. Heaven forbid you enter a classroom not decked out in Mango Mussolini propaganda. I honestly can't believe what the party of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln has become.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                            Ya know...just stop. If teachers were allowed to teach their content and not have to worry about things like NCLB (started by a republicant) and mandatory state testing...we'd be better off. You don't have to have a ton of degrees...just common sense (which you seem to lack), With the way you position your arguments...I should be able to perform neurosurgery just because I watched a special on TLC documenting the procedure. So, yes, unless you are trained or have some experience in education...you shouldn't be passing laws for educators. Are you entitled to your opinion, yes, but lawyers and politicians shouldn't make decisions for teachers.

Minor flaw in that theory. Teachers, and the entire public educational system are in essence employees of the taxpayers of the region, and politicians are the agents of those employers. How many companies do you know where the employees get to decide how the place is run? That just isn't how the world works.

Comment

Minor flaw in that theory. Teachers, and the entire public educational system are in essence employees of the taxpayers of the region, and politicians are the agents of those employers. How many companies do you know where the employees get to decide how the place is run? That just isn't how the world works.
                              That's also not how the school systemworks. I better go make more popcorn
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Now, let me tell you about the quality of education provided in this school.

About 10? years ago, some relatives had a child going thru this school. At a family gathering, the discussion turned to WWII and the US being drawn into the war by the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. As children are prone to do, this child piped up, entering the adult conversation. But it shortly became clear that this child didn't have her facts straight. It turned out that the school had taught the kid that the US was the only nation to have used nuclear weapons in actual warfare, and that the US was wrong, evil or whatever you want to call it for doing so.

When asked how exactly the US was drawn into the war, the response was silence. She had never been taught that Japan had carried out a sneak attack at Pearl Harbor, nor had she been taught that Emperor Hirohito would have never surrendered if we hadn't used them, making a very bloody conquest of the the Island of Japan, with far greater loss of life on both sides necessary to end the war.

Revisionist history, taught from an anti-US stance. This isn't political indoctrination?
                                I speak to you, are you representative of all Americans?
                                (oh and BTW the very bloody conquest of Japan is revisionist history as well, it's an assumption being phrased as a fact)
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X