X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]41141[/ATTACH]
    it's good to see that some conservatives at least still respect & revere Big Government

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
      it's good to see that some conservatives at least still respect & revere Big Government
      Not really. "big government", in the form of aggressive child protective departments have been largely responsible for the problem to begin with. In many areas, a parent dare not discipline his or her kid for fear that someone will turn them in and they'll have to face charges for warming little johnny's rear end up when it's needed.

Also, "big government" has contributed to the problem by enabling and even encouraging via subsidies people who have no business having kids because they can't care for them to have them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Would you rather leave the "bad" kids in school to disrupt things for those kids who are there to learn? A quick trip to prison might actually scare some of these teenage monsters straight. Even if it doesn't, removing them from the schools is a good thing. According to a large number of teachers, these disruptive students are making school hell for teachers, staff and other students, and as it stands now, almost nothing can be done to get rid of them.
        There's nothing wrong with resource officers. And there is a serious issue with schools unwilling to provide adequate consequences to students who misbehave. To them it is a sport to get the class off track and to prove their independence from the rules. Many of them simply don't think the rules should apply to them and they'll act to prove it.

It's not rare for a student to refuse to leave a classroom when they prove themselves disruptive. But usually getting a student support teacher or an administrator is enough to get them to leave the room. In this case, not even the orders from a resource officer worked.

Yes, the officer should have used physical force to remove her from the area. However, he did use a whole lot more than he needed. I mean...he threw the desk to the floor and threw her from it across the room within a split second.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Not really. "big government"
          sure really - government has various secondary aspects & you can mention those details all you want but in the end there's only one ultimate symbol of power of big government

Comment

so if someone is attacking me I'm just supposed to sit there and let them pummel me? heck no! just use of force in defense of my own person makes me far better than the person who just beats the crap out of people for the fun of it...and far better than the person who hasn't the stones to fight back when being attacked
            You're not getting it.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            I would say it depends on how you are being attacked. I support a person defending themselves but if their is a better alternative I suggest taking it
            He gets it.

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
            Actually, they are sheriff deputies and have full police powers in the county that the department operates in. Or at least in my area. There are states where sheriff departments don't have full police powers, they have on call police officers or a stationed officer from a local police department. Schools they are assigned to are considered their "beat" or jurisdiction just like in any large department with multiple precincts.
            Ah... I see.

Would you rather leave the "bad" kids in school to disrupt things for those kids who are there to learn? A quick trip to prison might actually scare some of these teenage monsters straight. Even if it doesn't, removing them from the schools is a good thing. According to a large number of teachers, these disruptive students are making school hell for teachers, staff and other students, and as it stands now, almost nothing can be done to get rid of them.
            Here's a thought: how about deal with the problem to find a solution as to why these kids are behaving the way they are. Maybe they are bored in class, or have a problem at home and act out accordingly.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

How about parents can discipline their child as they see fit, and can tell the people who stick their noses in that it's none of their damn business.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I remember getting slapped across the face on more than one occasion, or spending some quality time staring at the wall with my knees carressing a stone floor - my sister a corner to the right or left - pondering the trouble we had gotten ourselves into. I didn't turn out so bad.

As they see fit, doesn't mean they'd have to abuse them. though

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I remember getting slapped across the face on more than one occasion, or spending some quality time staring at the wall with my knees carressing a stone floor - my sister a corner to the right or left - pondering the trouble we had gotten ourselves into. I didn't turn out so bad.

Jury still out on those
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Here's a thought: how about deal with the problem to find a solution as to why these kids are behaving the way they are. Maybe they are bored in class, or have a problem at home and act out accordingly.
                    In general? Sure. But sometimes there isn't time for that and a student needs to be removed from the class for various reasons. Number 1 being removing their audience. Without an audience a lot of teenagers end up becoming 1000 times more reasonable all of a sudden. Also in a classroom environment, class has to go on. The other 29 students have a right to an education, and no one person has the right to take that because they need to deal with issues. So when a student refuses to leave the room or go to the guidance or admin office, that becomes an issue. At that point teaching has stopped and nothing can be done. They were asked to leave because they are being disruptive (if not violent or hostile).

What the cop did was too much, but at that point some use of physical force was warranted. Otherwise she was going to hold the whole day hostage. Often in education, it's easy to forget the other 29 students.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

did you happen to miss the part where I said that the "sweet innocent little girl" also TOOK A SWING at the cop in question? once she started using fists he was well within his rights to use force in return
                      Who said she was sweet and innocent?

I mean, why bother dealing with an issue when you have a ready made strawman to distract from the conversation?
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The "sweet innocent little girl" that the media is disingenuously trying to portray her as mouthed off to the cop and even took a swing at him when all the cop was trying to do was his job, which was to remove the blatantly disruptive "sweet innocent little girl" from the class

was he just supposed to stand there and let someone take a swing at him without fighting back?

don't know about you but if someone unjustly takes a swing at me, I can and I WILL make sure that person regrets it....whether it be a male or a female
                        Just like Michael brown was a "unarmed black teen unjustly shot".. The media leaves out a lot trying to keep THEIR message correct.

Actually, they are sheriff deputies and have full police powers in the county that the department operates in. Or at least in my area. There are states where sheriff departments don't have full police powers, they have on call police officers or a stationed officer from a local police department. Schools they are assigned to are considered their "beat" or jurisdiction just like in any large department with multiple precincts.

I didn't see her swing her arm, and I watched two different videos...
                        Maybe that's cause those clips edited out what SHE did to get the cop on her butt..

Same here. I got spanked every time i messed up as a kid. Only twice did i repeat the same offense...

Comment

now imagine unruly american schoolkids...whose dads are cops
                          both their classmates and their teachers know they better be reeeal nice to them, or else ^^

(a scenario that the american justice system was never equipped to deal with. sucks huh?)

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Jury still out on those

In general? Sure. But sometimes there isn't time for that and a student needs to be removed from the class for various reasons. Number 1 being removing their audience. Without an audience a lot of teenagers end up becoming 1000 times more reasonable all of a sudden. Also in a classroom environment, class has to go on. The other 29 students have a right to an education, and no one person has the right to take that because they need to deal with issues. So when a student refuses to leave the room or go to the guidance or admin office, that becomes an issue. At that point teaching has stopped and nothing can be done. They were asked to leave because they are being disruptive (if not violent or hostile).
                            I agree. I just felt like Annoyed was just saying to get rid of the problem and leave them out to dry, without dealing with the cause of the problem.

Comment

I agree. I just felt like Annoyed was just saying to get rid of the problem and leave them out to dry, without dealing with the cause of the problem.
                              I am suggesting dealing with the cause of the problem. A prison stay might very well adjust the attitude and behavior of disruptive youngsters early enough in their lives where it might do some good; "scare them straight" for lack of a better term. All of this touchy-feely, psychological claptrap that they've been trying over the past 40 years or so hasn't been doing much good, has it?

Comment

I am suggesting dealing with the cause of the problem. A prison stay might very well adjust the attitude and behavior of disruptive youngsters early enough in their lives where it might do some good; "scare them straight" for lack of a better term. All of this touchy-feely, psychological claptrap that they've been trying over the past 40 years or so hasn't been doing much good, has it?

You automatically assume that the cause is with the teenager, while it might very well be something in their enviroment - prison in such cases is rarely the solution.

Comment

Working...
                                X