This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Just be grateful I did not use the oft confused word between England and America
    speaking of....my friend got me a couple of cookbooks for Christmas and they both have some very tantalizing recipes in them...in one of them though it must be of UK or Aussie origin because a recipe for fettuccine carbonara calls for something called double cream which from what I've read about it is a very thick almost pudding-like cream with at least 48% butterfat content

that could be a problem since I think the fattiest cream available in retail here in the USA is heavy whipping cream which isn't as thick and has only about 35% butterfat content

I was thinking though that either plain Greek yogurt or a can of Campbell's condensed cream of chicken soup might have similar thickness to this double cream

yes I consider food and recipes to be a hot topic

oh and in another recipe...one for Scottish meatballs they goofed the conversion between imperial and metric for 1/2 cup....they had it as 60 mL or 2 fluid ounces when 1/2 cup is 4 fluid ounces (and falls somewhere between 120 and 125 mL)

Comment

I think you add gelatine to cream to thicken it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
        I think you add gelatine to cream to thicken it.
        Well I'm also looking for ways to cut the fat in this recipe without sacrificing richness.....the condensed cream of chicken soup might be just the ticket....my understanding of UK double cream is that it's already almost as thick as pudding and that's before whipping it.....thus I was thinking that either plain fat-free Greek yogurt or some Campbell's condensed cream of chicken soup would have similar thickness but still add some richness of flavor and in the case of the Campbell's even a nice chicken flavor

Comment

Whipping cream should do it as that is very thick.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            Fear leads to anger, anger leads to pain, pain leads to Trump
            I think it would be more accurate to say that Democrats lead to pain, pain leads to anger, and Anger leads to Trump.

If the Democrats hadn't ignored the pain of and even inflicted more pain upon the working classes in this country, their pain wouldn't have led to the anger that handed the keys to the White House along with a Republican congress to Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
              I suppose the funniest thing about it....if you could call it that....is the fact that Pakistan is a nuclear neophyte challenging a nuclear superpower that's been dabbling in nuclear weapons for several decades.....i.e., hasn't been dabbling in nuclear stuff for nearly as long as the USA has...thus I'd wager that while Pakistan, with its likely far more limited arsenal of nuclear weaponry, could nuke probably not even half of all our major metropolitan areas, while with our far larger arsenal we could probably completely obliterate Pakistan and the surrounding Middle East several times over
              And that's assuming Pakistan could deliver a nuke to a U.S. target. Whereas one of our carriers could turn the entire middle east into a giant glass bowl to put SQ's nuts in.

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
                Whipping cream should do it as that is very thick.
                guess you missed the part where I was also interested in reducing the fat intake without sacrificing richness

Comment

You all -do- realise that Pakistan threatened -Israel- not the US, right?
                  All this posturing over "what the US could do" and "weather Pakistan could launch a nuke at the US at all" is just BS.

No wonder fake news travels so fast............
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

guess you missed the part where I was also interested in reducing the fat intake without sacrificing richness
                    Stop faffing and just enjoy the creaminess
                    sigpic

Comment

I suppose the funniest thing about it....if you could call it that....is the fact that Pakistan is a nuclear neophyte challenging a nuclear superpower that's been dabbling in nuclear weapons for several decades.....i.e., hasn't been dabbling in nuclear stuff for nearly as long as the USA has...thus I'd wager that while Pakistan, with its likely far more limited arsenal of nuclear weaponry, could nuke probably not even half of all our major metropolitan areas, while with our far larger arsenal we could probably completely obliterate Pakistan and the surrounding Middle East several times over
                      But not before dropping one on Israel -- which isn't nearly as big as the US, and nearly as far.
                      And the one they threatened.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                      If the Democrats hadn't ignored the pain of and even inflicted more pain upon the working classes in this country, their pain wouldn't have led to the anger that handed the keys to the White House along with a Republican congress to Trump.
                      Until the working class realizes he's taking stuff away from them to give to the rich, or Obamacare from Coal country. I hear, they need the benefits for their Black Lung disease. Woops, should have thought about that before voting for Trump who will repeal Obamacare without having a back-up plan.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        But not before dropping one on Israel -- which isn't nearly as big as the US, and nearly as far.
                        And the one they threatened.

Until the working class realizes he's taking stuff away from them to give to the rich, or Obamacare from Coal country. I hear, they need the benefits for their Black Lung disease. Woops, should have thought about that before voting for Trump who will repeal Obamacare without having a back-up plan.
                        And unless I'm mistaken I think Womble has said that Israel has a state of the art missile defense system so the proverbial nuclear missile from Pakistan would likely get destroyed before it could do any damage to Israel

Comment

plus Israel has nukes despite their denials
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

And unless I'm mistaken I think Womble has said that Israel has a state of the art missile defense system so the proverbial nuclear missile from Pakistan would likely get destroyed before it could do any damage to Israel
                            Israel does indeed possess an Iron Dome system, but the problem is that it's not a rocket like the Palestinians have been dropping across the wall. We're talking a nuclear missile which has a different veloicty.

From the Extremetech website, discussing the anti-missile system the US wants/has in place:

"Hitting an ICBM with an anti-ICBM has been likened to hitting a bullet with a bullet. Considering that the fastest bullets have a muzzle velocity of about 0.76 miles per second, one could argue that the Israeli Iron Dome system does hit a bullet with a bullet. Trying to hit an ICBM with a GMD-fired missile is an order of magnitude faster than that."

So, basically, Israel would still be screwed.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hey, it's a nuke, you don't really need to be all that accurate to have a devastating effect. Also, if you air burst a nuke before deploying lower altitude blasts, any non EMP shielded device would do you no good anyway because they would be fried. I am -sure- the Iron dome is EMP hardened, but it may have to withstand multiple airbursts first, and it might not cope with that.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                Israel does indeed possess an Iron Dome system, but the problem is that it's not a rocket like the Palestinians have been dropping across the wall. We're talking a nuclear missile which has a different veloicty.

From the Extremetech website, discussing the anti-missile system the US wants/has in place:

"Hitting an ICBM with an anti-ICBM has been likened to hitting a bullet with a bullet. Considering that the fastest bullets have a muzzle velocity of about 0.76 miles per second, one could argue that the Israeli Iron Dome system does hit a bullet with a bullet. Trying to hit an ICBM with a GMD-fired missile is an order of magnitude faster than that."

So, basically, Israel would still be screwed.
                                I can't speak for Israel, but regarding the anti missile tech available to the U.S., do you really think the best systems we have are public knowledge?

For example, although the public line is that it was a failure and was abandoned, Reagan started the "Star Wars" defense idea back in the eighties. What if that isn't quite the truth?

If *I* was running the joint, that's exactly what I would do. Even if it had succeeded, it would be smart to announce that it had failed and been abandoned, and continue to develop it under a strict cloak of secrecy.

30+ years later, I wouldn't be surprised if something had been developed.

Comment

Working...
                                X