This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    The thing is, schools don't always know the limits of the separation of church and state, and same goes for people in general.
    To me the issue is more that people misinterpret the whole "separation of church and state" from what it IS WRITTEN (as applying to the federal government via Congress), to where they apply it to ANYTHING linkd to the government from the garbage men, to schools...

Comment

And for another high school fubar up.. Yet another school admin got into hot water after telling his students "do not bring the US FLAG" to our home games, as it might be offensive to the students of our opponent school(s) as some do have a large latino population..
      YET ye reversed his call after being called out on it by parents etc.

https://www.veooz.com/news/YLTSgpJ.html

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        And for another high school fubar up.. Yet another school admin got into hot water after telling his students "do not bring the US FLAG" to our home games, as it might be offensive to the students of our opponent school(s) as some do have a large latino population..
        YET ye reversed his call after being called out on it by parents etc.
        Well there certainly are a lot of bad school admins. But this is the same as the french burqini ban: kneejerk reactions that have nothing to do with what they want to achieve.

Comment

I like gospel music... especially sang by large gospel choirs.

Then again, Mozart's Requiem Mass is one of my favorite pieces of music. And Karl Jenkin's The Armed Man (Mass for Peace) -- could listen to it for hours.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            I like gospel music... especially sang by large gospel choirs.

Then again, Mozart's Requiem Mass is one of my favorite pieces of music. And Karl Jenkin's The Armed Man (Mass for Peace) -- could listen to it for hours.
            I think you replied to the wrong thread...

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              I think you replied to the wrong thread...
              How so?

Tood started it.

Comment

Can't remember where we discussed taxes - here, or in the other thread - but nevertheless here's a brilliant article about Apple having to pay backtaxes to Ireland by instigation from the EU and the US being PO'd about it.

Yesterday, Outraged by Apple’s Tax Dodge. Today, by Its Tax Bill.

Comment

Ireland is PO'd about it too. The problem isn't the size of Apple's tax bill but the fact that the EU has basically overruled Ireland on its own taxation laws, thereby infringing on its sovereignty as an independent state. They are forcing Ireland to back-tax Apple - years after the fact - and to do so against Ireland's own wishes.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Ireland's just begun to get back up after their economic crisis. Apple does bring jobs.

Comment

I read that whole ireland/apple fiasco, and i agree, they are against it all cause its effectively the EU saying "We make the laws not you"..

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        Ireland's just begun to get back up after their economic crisis. Apple does bring jobs.
                        Well, Apple will bring those jobs elsewhere now. To a place where they can be reasonably sure they don't get back-taxed after a decade or two of complying with local tax laws.
                        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          I read that whole ireland/apple fiasco, and i agree, they are against it all cause its effectively the EU saying "We make the laws not you"..
                          The EU doesn't make the laws, but why not collect backtaxes -- you too don't see the hypocrisy at work here. Always complaining about the big boys not paying their taxes, taking their business elsewhere. And when they get caught not having paid their due taxes, everybody's up in arms.

I understand the Irish wanting to keep the company and wanting it to stay, but I can also understand them having to cough up the money they in essence didn't pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                            Ireland is PO'd about it too. The problem isn't the size of Apple's tax bill but the fact that the EU has basically overruled Ireland on its own taxation laws, thereby infringing on its sovereignty as an independent state. They are forcing Ireland to back-tax Apple - years after the fact - and to do so against Ireland's own wishes.
                            This is a big problem with the TPP trade deal, too. As I understand it, the gory details provide for signatory nations to cede their authority to an international (UN related?) panel. A US company, for example might be subject to penalties imposed by a foreign power.
                            I have a big problem with that.

Comment

Don't the Irish want tax ?
                              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                                Well, Apple will bring those jobs elsewhere now. To a place where they can be reasonably sure they don't get back-taxed after a decade or two of complying with local tax laws.
                                But even so Apple pay little to no tax in Ireland,or any other country anyway. So who is laughing all the way to the bank?

If countries can't make strong tax laws corporations will find sneaky ways around them. Why should corporations avoid tax?
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X