Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt at a tut… *crosses fingers it makes sense*

So… this is how I made this signature with Gimp…

Spoiler:
    I used this background I found on DA

And this pic of Jack and Sam

I opened my base layer in black…

Added the background as a layer and shrunk it down to 800-ish wide using the scale tool. Then moved it up and down till I found a section I liked.

Then I opened up the Sam and Jack pic as a layer and again used the scale tool to shrink it down to the size I was looking for.

Then on the menu bar I picked ColorsCurves. I use it to bring about a contrast of light and dark that highlights the couple the best. The brightest sections are going to turn out white and the darker shadows are going to be black in the next step so keep this in mind as you tamper with the contrast.

Then on the menu bar I picked ColorsThreshold. I moved the bar to the left and right until I found the best amount of white to represent the pic. You may need to undo and redo these last two steps until you get what you are looking for.

Then set the picture layer to Screen.

With the Erase tool delete any parts of the picture you would like removed. I find that the largest solid circle set down to about a size 26 or so. Whatever the size is that makes it look like a square. It gives it the best sharp line as you are removing the excess from the picture.

Now I changed the color from white to the same color as the text in the texture layer.

Use the Color Picker tool to pick the color you want. Then you will need to get the number of the color for the next step. I click into the color and copy the numbers so I don’t have to write it down.

Make the picture of the couple the active layer. On the menu bar I picked ColorsColorify, then click on the Custom Color. Type or paste the color number in and then click on okay. Play with the opacity if wanted or needed.

Now for the text. I used the very simple fallback text of their names… not real creative.

The font I used was Rage Italic set at 60 in size.

I added a plack halo behind it to soften it a little bit. This is done by right clicking on the text layer and choosing Alpha to Selection.

Right click on your text layer and in that menu pick Alpha to Selection – this will put a dotted line around your words.

Then on the menu bar SelectGrow. I chose by 1.

Add a layer…

From menu bar LayerNew Layer. (make sure you have it set for Transparency)

Move the new transparent layer below the text layer and make sure it is your selected (highlighted) layer.

Now I pick the paint brush and pick the largest circle (and I tend to push it up to a 10.0 for good measure) Make sure that the color is set to be the color you want. I used the same color that I used in the colorify step.

Paint your text and as you do you will see it outline your text in the color you selected.

When done painting, from the Select menu at the top of the page again, pick None.

From the menu bar Filters --Blur, Gaussian blur. I chose the values to 5px for both Horizontal and vertical fields.

Now for the border…

Created a new layer (I like the ability to delete and start over many times)

I picked a brush called 77words stuff1 that I found on DA

I enlarged the brush to about 3.56 or so. Using black I painted just the bottom and left side, then I painted the top and right side. You will probably need to play with it to get the affect you want.

Now I typically do an inordinate amount of tweaking.

I changed the opacity on the pic of Jack and same to 61.8
    I changed the opacity of the text to 91.8

Using the flip tool I also flipped the border layer. Just think if fits the sig better flipped.

This tut turned out really long… sorry bout that. Any questions please ask.
    Last edited by bailey1ak; 05 September 2011, 01:49 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

There are so many beautiful tuts. Need to go pick one to try for the second half of the challenge.

This tutorial I made took so very long to type up. In saying that I want to thank everyone for the amount of time you all have put into creating tuts.
      sigpic

Comment

Excellent tut, Bay

I find that they do take a while to write, but it forces you to think a bit as well about what you actually do while fiddling. It's all good!
        sigpic
        Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Thank you Josiane... I did discover that I fiddle/tweak the sigs a lot.

Now for picking one of the tuts posted to create something...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
            Thank you Josiane... I did discover that I fiddle/tweak the sigs a lot.

Now for picking one of the tuts posted to create something...
            That's been my problem, Bay! Hence why I've already done so many of them.

Comment

Great tut Bay!
              sigpic

Comment

This one kind of came from a tut I found in another thread but I can't find it now - I'll post the link when I do - it was a tut by Jeyla4ever somewhere in the graphics thread.

This hasn't come from a tut but was playing trying to see if I could learn anything new (and I was feeling guilty for ignoring Mckay in favour of Beckett these past couple of days )

I don't have a quote/saying for it yet, but I kinda like it how it is
                sigpic
                Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post
                  This one kind of came from a tut I found in another thred but I can't find it now - I'll post the link when I do - it was a tut by Jeyla4ever somewhere in the graphics thread.

This hasn't come from a tut but was playing trying to see if I could learn anything new (and I was feeling guilty for ignoring Mckay in favour of Beckett these past couple of days )

I don't have a quote/saying for it yet, but I kinda like it how it is
                  Most of what I learned came from playing around.

I think the only caption that would do that second one justice is "Oh, crap!"

Comment

Thanks Sy and ~lg... love the red in the Rodney sig, Mr
                    sigpic

Comment

You're welcome Bay.

Mr love the red in the Rodney sig too
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
                        Thanks Sy and ~lg... love the red in the Rodney sig, Mr
                        Originally posted by syfyfan View Post
                        You're welcome Bay.

Mr love the red in the Rodney sig too
                        Thanks guys.....Ummmm yeah, got to admit the red was an accident the middle section was supposed to have the same colouring as the rest but somehow I missed it, worked out okay though
                        sigpic

Comment

I tried that tut from JasminaGo and here is the result:

To all the arts, I love them all!
                          sigpic
                          Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Originally posted by yamiinsane View Post

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...daTapping1.jpg

Very nice!

Comment

Thank you lg
                              sigpic
                              Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Originally posted by yamiinsane View Post

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...daTapping1.jpg

I love the colouring on that
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X