Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
    50 steps. Believe me, yesterday I needed them - and I LOVE this feature in Gimp - because I think it's the thing I use the most.
    Besides, the set looks great to me!
    I know I'm late to the conversation but Gimp has a History feature which I use all the time. Normally it's docked within the layers/paths box but I seemed to, somehow, un-docked mine. Do any of my fellow Gimp users know how to re-dock it? It's really annoying having to go into the windows tab to get to the history dialogue.

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard
    bye to many complaints about my art so im leaving
    I didn't see any complaints. Didn't see any compliments either. Sorry about that. It is good. The Die Hard movies are great! And no offense but...maybe if you offered some sort of explanation to go with your art instead of just posting it by itself it might have gotten more notice? We'd have known why you posted it. As it stands it just looks like an advertisement for the new movie, which, I guess, is kind of the point eh?

Whoops, sorry, missed this:
    No worries.

That's good to know .
    Yeah. And I meant to say "loves her so much". I typed "loved" instead of "loves".

Ah ... no, sorry. Nothing against SPN or Jensen, but I fear that's all a restricted area for me -> bad past you know ... Hate that but better I stay outside. No need to have trouble. I'm pretty fine with "my" David/Nick-Thunk-Thread.
    Oh, I'm, sorry to hear that.
    Spoiler:
    Well, if it's any consolation, none of the people that were there then are there now. It's just me, Grace, Coptordoc, Freckles, and Lilith and iolanda stop by along with JadedWraith. I feel like a veteran in that thread, with the exception of Lilith and iolanda everyone is pretty much new to the thread in the past year or so.

Enjoy your David/Nick Thunking!

Hellatus - that's great! Would you mind me snurching it? Four and a half months hiatus IS hellatus! *feels again the cold turkey without new Grimm*
    Um...I guess, yeah. We use this term in the SPN fandom because, well, Hell is a real place and Dean spent quite a lot of time down there ...on his own hellatus. And we use this term because the wait during hiatus is, well, hell. Thus hellatus.

My Dad always wanted to grew a beard but my Mom stood before that. Well, at least now everyone knows who was the alpha in this relationship . But I really think that has something to do with the fact that EVERY of my brothers has a beard now.
    Spoiler:
    Heh, guess showed him. My father, and I use that term very loosely, has never had a beard. A mustache is what he has.

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
    To be honest I used to use an independent programme to make screencaps so couldn't tell you. Can't even remember what it was called now but it was pretty good. I didn't even know you could do them in GIMP/PS! Leraning yet more new things.
    That's because you can't. I think she means something else.
    sigpic
    Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
      That's what I thought, I just wasn't sure since I haven't used Gimp in a while.

Jensen's wife is expecting?

sigpic
      Coming January 2017

Comment

Originally posted by m&mnm317 View Post
        When did you start using PS?
        Just since yesterday. There is a fee PS CS2 download available for a limited time and a few of us got it.

That's what I thought, I just wasn't sure since I haven't used Gimp in a while.
        Yeah. I think maybe she just didn't word it properly or something. OR is confusing "making a screencap" with editing a screencap? IDK.

Jensen's wife is expecting?
        YUP! I'm so freaking happy right now!
        sigpic
        Sig by ME.

Comment

Just since yesterday. There is a fee PS CS2 download available for a limited time and a few of us got it.
          I see..

YUP! I'm so freaking happy right now!
          Congrats to him!

sigpic
          Coming January 2017

Comment

I see..
            Yeah. I was so happy to get it.

Congrats to him!
            He's a lucky guy!
            sigpic
            Sig by ME.

Comment

I know I'm late to the conversation but Gimp has a History feature which I use all the time. Normally it's docked within the layers/paths box but I seemed to, somehow, un-docked mine. Do any of my fellow Gimp users know how to re-dock it? It's really annoying having to go into the windows tab to get to the history dialogue.
              Try to doubleklick in the menu (windows tab?). For me that worked.

Yeah. And I meant to say "loves her so much". I typed "loved" instead of "loves".
              Hehe, if I would be a mean person I would call "Freud" .

Oh, I'm, sorry to hear that.
              Spoiler:
              Well, if it's any consolation, none of the people that were there then are there now. It's just me, Grace, Coptordoc, Freckles, and Lilith and iolanda stop by along with JadedWraith. I feel like a veteran in that thread, with the exception of Lilith and iolanda everyone is pretty much new to the thread in the past year or so.
              It's is one of the persons you mentioned - one of the veterans, to be true.

Enjoy your David/Nick Thunking!
              I do. Right now we're figuring out some favourites - well, that's on the fansite not here. Here the thread unfortunately is pretty dead . It's only mi-guard and me and sometimes m&mnm317 stopps by. Grimm definetely needs a bigger audience!
              But it's kinda cute to teach newbies in thunking about the TripleO. Had to dig out my good old Thunk-manual and had some fun with the explanation what a bTOY is - especially in David's case (wet!bTOY - next level of Joy).

Um...I guess, yeah. We use this term in the SPN fandom because, well, Hell is a real place and Dean spent quite a lot of time down there ...on his own hellatus. And we use this term because the wait during hiatus is, well, hell. Thus hellatus.
              Yeah, makes sense. Poor Dean, first hell, then purgatory ... Ah, you remind me ... still have to catch up with season 8.

Spoiler:
              Heh, guess showed him. My father, and I use that term very loosely, has never had a beard. A mustache is what he has.

Ah! Well, scratchy is scratchy - my opinion.

Uhm, no. I make my caps with Gimp. Wow! Seems like I do something unique!

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
              Sig & Avi by Josi
              sigpic
              LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
              I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Try to doubleklick in the menu (windows tab?). For me that worked.
                I will give that a go and let you know.

Hehe, if I would be a mean person I would call "Freud" .
                It's a good thing you're not a mean person.

It's is one of the persons you mentioned - one of the veterans, to be true.
                Ah. Alrighty. Never mind.

I do. Right now we're figuring out some favourites - well, that's on the fansite not here. Here the thread unfortunately is pretty dead . It's only mi-guard and me and sometimes m&mnm317 stopps by. Grimm definetely needs a bigger audience!
                But it's kinda cute to teach newbies in thunking about the TripleO.
                Yeah, I know what you mean. The Jensen thread is not as jumping as it used to be. There used to be a ton of people there now it's down to just a handful. TripleO???

Had to dig out my good old Thunk-manual and had some fun with the explanation what a bTOY is - especially in David's case (wet!bTOY - next level of Joy).
                Black T-shirt Of Yum. Yes, Dean has one of those too. As does Jensen.

Yeah, makes sense. Poor Dean, first hell, then purgatory ... Ah, you remind me ... still have to catch up with season 8.
                You better get to it!

Ah! Well, scratchy is scratchy - my opinion.
                Yeah, not comfortable.

Uhm, no. I make my caps with Gimp. Wow! Seems like I do something unique!
                Oh. Well then, Ms. Hyn, how do you make caps in Gimp?
                sigpic
                Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                  Speaking of asking questions.....

When in PS, how do you do gradient maps with your own colors? I've found where you can add the adjustment layers, and I've managed for black and white or one color to transparent. But how do you do it when the tut says something like, "Put on a Gradient map: Color A to Color B to Color C to Color D?"
                  Has anyone answered this yet for you? If not, try Step #3 of this tut. It explains it much better than I could.

Regarding your issues with PS and cropping...I think PS doesn't offer a crop the current layer option because there are other ways to get around that. Nola offered one brilliant suggestion. Let me offer another: use a combination of free transform (Edit -> Free Transform or use the shortcut Control T) to edit your layer's size, rotation, perspective etc and then try using layer masks to "erase" the areas you don't want. That way you can change what's viewable without having to crop or resize. I think layer masks are one of the most important things I learned about when I started with PS because they're non destructive. You can always change them. You can learn about layer masks here.

Also, you mentioned something about how to add shadows to text. Have you explored the drop shadow feature of layer styles yet?

I'm coming in late to the discussion of PS and GIMP pros and cons and I know I'm not a frequent poster here, so I hope you don't mind if I add a few comments to the discussion. I agree that it's all about what you're used to using and I'd bet the bias leans towards what you started with first. I remember when I first started using PS I absolutely hated it. There was so much to learn and my patience with it just wasn't there. Over time, I think we've mutually tamed each other and I'm continually on the search to learn more. With that in mind, I love lurking in this thread. It's so rewarding to find tutorials and shortcuts and constructive criticism all in one friendly environment. I guess I should also add that someday I hope to try GIMP. I haven't yet because I fear I'd have the same initial reaction to it that I did for PS.
                  sigpic

Comment

When did you start using PS?
                    Literally two days ago. I got the same download that RiG go.

Originally posted by Estrela View Post
                    Has anyone answered this yet for you? If not, try Step #3 of this tut. It explains it much better than I could.

Regarding your issues with PS and cropping...I think PS doesn't offer a crop the current layer option because there are other ways to get around that. Nola offered one brilliant suggestion. Let me offer another: use a combination of free transform (Edit -> Free Transform or use the shortcut Control T) to edit your layer's size, rotation, perspective etc and then try using layer masks to "erase" the areas you don't want. That way you can change what's viewable without having to crop or resize. I think layer masks are one of the most important things I learned about when I started with PS because they're non destructive. You can always change them. You can learn about layer masks here.

Also, you mentioned something about how to add shadows to text. Have you explored the drop shadow feature of layer styles yet?

I'm coming in late to the discussion of PS and GIMP pros and cons and I know I'm not a frequent poster here, so I hope you don't mind if I add a few comments to the discussion. I agree that it's all about what you're used to using and I'd bet the bias leans towards what you started with first. I remember when I first started using PS I absolutely hated it. There was so much to learn and my patience with it just wasn't there. Over time, I think we've mutually tamed each other and I'm continually on the search to learn more. With that in mind, I love lurking in this thread. It's so rewarding to find tutorials and shortcuts and constructive criticism all in one friendly environment. I guess I should also add that someday I hope to try GIMP. I haven't yet because I fear I'd have the same initial reaction to it that I did for PS.
                    Nope, no answer yet. Thanks!

Layer styles....No, what I was referring to wasn't a drop shadow. It was like here, in this artie:
                    See the double layer to the text? That's what I was referring to, and I think Nola answered that one with the "nudge" tool.

Even in Gimp, layer masks and I don't get along. I'll have to try them out in PS to see if they're different, but they're not part of my typical arsenal.

No worries on chiming in. I'm enjoying seeing what everyone says and thinks about the different programs, especially those of us who have used both. As I said earlier, I think that's just as important as the "how to" tutorials.

Edit: Just tried that tut on custom gradients! Absolutely easy! Thanks!
                    Last edited by ladygris; 09 January 2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I don't know enough about GIMP to answer this, but can you set certain preferences for standard artwork? For example, I have a list of pre-sets I made for signature size, video size, card, etc. I can pre-set the size and whether or not it's a transparent background or to start with the foreground or background color. So I just go to the list and select the one I want.

Another fun thing with PS is Actions. There are a few pre-loaded actions and folks make new ones or you can make and record your own. Basically what they do is about 40 steps in photoprocessing in one-click. For example, you can take a portrait photo, click the vignette button (Window>Actions) and it does a lovely vignette effect. Other preloads include sepia toning, text reflections...all sorts of things.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                        I don't know enough about GIMP to answer this, but can you set certain preferences for standard artwork? For example, I have a list of pre-sets I made for signature size, video size, card, etc. I can pre-set the size and whether or not it's a transparent background or to start with the foreground or background color. So I just go to the list and select the one I want.

Another fun thing with PS is Actions. There are a few pre-loaded actions and folks make new ones or you can make and record your own. Basically what they do is about 40 steps in photoprocessing in one-click. For example, you can take a portrait photo, click the vignette button (Window>Actions) and it does a lovely vignette effect. Other preloads include sepia toning, text reflections...all sorts of things.
                        Yes, you can. It's called "Templates" in Gimp.

I have seen SOOOO many Actions I've wanted to download but couldn't use in Gimp. I just haven't gotten around to actually using any yet.

Comment

I am so looking forward to playing around with text in PS.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by ME.

Comment

I will give that a go and let you know.

Aaaand?

It's a good thing you're not a mean person.
                            Ah, from time to time I'm a little *****y ...

Yeah, I know what you mean. The Jensen thread is not as jumping as it used to be. There used to be a ton of people there now it's down to just a handful. TripleO???
                            Object of Obsession = TripleO
                            Well, we're only a handful of Grimmsters so far. The complete fandom is pretty small, what is somehow a funny thing for the most recorded show in the US. Maybe because it's on NBC and maybe it's because it airs on Friday nights, don't know *shrugs*.
                            Right now I party a little bit - because today NBC announced that Grimm will also get a web-series. That's so awesome *stupid grin*! I only hope NBC will change their site-properties so that I can watch the webisodes *keeps fingers crossed*

Black T-shirt Of Yum. Yes, Dean has one of those too. As does Jensen.
                            Well, so far David only got the cap of silliness. Well, sometimes he's a goofball - . Nick is the one with the bTOY and I fear that was more because David had to wear a wetsuit during nearly the entire episode. Only at the end they changed that and he had to wear this lovely wet and black T-shirt of Doom *thud*. *still voting for more shirtlessNick on Grimm*

You better get to it!
                            *salutes* Yes, Ma'am!

Oh. Well then, Ms. Hyn, how do you make caps in Gimp?
                            Well, with the good oldfashioned way: PRTSC - paste . That's how I'm screencapping

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                            Sig & Avi by Josi
                            sigpic
                            LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                            I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Well, with the good oldfashioned way: PRTSC - paste . That's how I'm screencapping

Ah, well there was I thinking it was a feature in the programme that actually caps the video for you. If only! The programme I had you could set it to cap every xx number of frames, set it running and it would do the business for you. Obviously there were other fine tunings like folder they were stored in, cap resolution/quality, that sort of thing. I only ever had a trial version so had very limited functionality and found most things others had capped sufficiently well before me anyway!
                              But I have done it the Screenprint way when I've needed a one off print because it's been easier. Actually that was how I made this banner for the rewatches a while back (because I only needed a handful of caps and could not find the exact ones online anywhere.)

(gah, that's old and horrible! )

If you're talking screenprinting and pasting then I can't see how there can be any variation between GIMP and PS, since the quality of the original image would come from the screen print and not the programme you're using to edit it into. Unless I am missing something obvious.
                              sigpic

Comment

For me: I can work in both PS and Gimp but, like a few here, I prefer PS because of the coloring choices and, in my honest opinion, PS is easier to use.

I had no idea you could screencap with PS/Gimp! Though it sounds like much more work than what I'm working with: The KMPlayer.

AND.. Love the artwork the last few days
                                sigpic
                                Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Working...
                                X