No announcement yet.

Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay....figured since I'm 24 hours into this whole PS CS2 experience, I'd post my personal opinions.... Now, keep in mind that I'm new to PS and might not know all the tricks....and haven't had time to track down tuts. Spoilered for length.....

Spoiler:
    So far, I'm liking Gimp better. For several reasons, and I'll outline below. But I do like having PS. It means I can do all those great coloring techniques I've been drooling over. I'm currently working on a sig that'll be a combo of Gimp and PS just so I can get the coloring.

Why I like Gimp better......Let me count the ways! LOL!

1. Opening layers. In CS2, you have to open the image, duplicate the background layer, and then paste into your project. In Gimp, you hit "Open as Layers" and it's automatically in your project.

2. Scaling/Rotating/Etc. In CS2, you have to open your image, duplicate your image, paste it into your artwork, go to Edit-->Transform-->Scale. Then, tell it to keep aspect ratio, then scale. Every single time. In Gimp, the Scale button is right in the toolbox. You open as a layer, click on the Scale key, tell it to keep aspect ratio, and scale. And it doesn't turn off "Keep Aspect Ratio" until you tell it to. That means, I can open as many images as I want in Gimp and scale all of them without having to tell it to keep aspect ratio more than once. The same goes for Rotate and any of the Transform functions.

3. The Undo function. There's probably a better way to do this, but I don't know it yet. In Gimp, if you don't like how something turned out, you can hit Ctrl-Z or Edit-->Undo to undo it. For something like 20 steps. It keeps a history. In CS2, you can only do that for your latest step. So, if you don't like how you erased something, and you clicked the eraser four times, you have to start over with that image....Gimp, just click the Undo quick keys or in the Edit menu, and stop where you want it.

4. Filters. Some of the filters in CS2 are great, like Paint Daubs and all those wonderful things. But, in Gimp, I can control how sharp my image becomes. I haven't yet found how to do that in CS2. (Granted, I've only been using it for about 24 hours.)

5. Cropping. In CS2, you have to use this weird rectangle select method to crop just one layer, which Nola already kindly explained. In Gimp, you can select "Crop Current Layer Only" and done.

6. Moving layers around. This appears on both lists. In this sense, CS2 has less control (in my opinion) than Gimp does. In Gimp, I can duplicate text layers and such, move them just one pixel or so off from each other to create a shadow of sorts. In PS, the moment layers get close to one another, they lock in. This can be really great if you're doing a lot of cropping and need your layers to line up, but it can also be a nuisance when you don't want them to line up and they do.

What I DO like about CS2......

1. Coloring. SOOOO many more options. Absolutely loving the coloring options!

2. Filters. With the exception of things like Sharpen and such where you have a lot of control over them, most of the filters in CS2 are great. In fact, on my latest project, I opened an image of Rachel Weisz in CS2, applied Paint Daubs, saved it as a .jpg, and then transferred it over to Gimp for putting the sig together.

3. Moving Layers around. In Gimp, if the layer isn't on top of the stack, you can't move it unless the layer on top has been rendered invisible or erased away. In CS2, it doesn't matter.

4. Warping the text. That's a nifty little trick that I'll probably use since all my fonts transferred over to CS2. In Gimp, you don't have that option.

5. How PS opens the images. In Gimp, when I open an image, it comes up with a list. So I either need to know what my image is called or click the "Generate Image Preview" button every time until the program recognizes the image. When you have as many textures and stocks as I have, that gets very tiring. In PS, when you open an image, it has the picture right there like you were opening "My Pictures" on your computer.

All in all, 24 hours into using PS, I'm finding that both programs have pros and cons. PS feels a lot more cumbersome in a lot of ways over Gimp, which has things at a "point and click" method. (And this could be because I'm using CS2 and not something that is newer. Or because I'm so new to CS2 and really know Gimp.) However, PS has features that Gimp doesn't: filters (including photo filters), selective coloring, etc. So I'll likely wind up using a mix between the two programs: Gimp for composition, PS for coloring.

Other than that, I'm having a ball with it. Like I said, working on one of my fav tuts now that I can actually do the selective coloring and adjustment layers.

Comment

And, after spending way too long on a PS tut that I didn't like the end result on.....I came up with this.

Comment

Great result lg

Most of us that started with Gimp and moved on to PS felt exactly the same way - changing programs isn't easy It took me around two weeks to get used to PS, and the last time I looked at Gimp I wondered how on earth I used to get anything out of it because it seemed so alien It's what you get used to

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
          Great result lg

Most of us that started with Gimp and moved on to PS felt exactly the same way - changing programs isn't easy It took me around two weeks to get used to PS, and the last time I looked at Gimp I wondered how on earth I used to get anything out of it because it seemed so alien It's what you get used to
          I agree. That's why I included a pros and cons. I'm not trying to bash PS because, frankly, I like using it. Just some parts of it feel a little more cumbersome than what I'm used to.

Comment

I have CS3 and I don't know how it differs from CS2, but....

Editing pictures - I use edit>free transform, from where you can change the size and shape of your pic or text. To keep the aspect ratio correct, hold down 'shift' and pull the corner in or out You can also rotate it by putting your cursor near the edge until you get a curled arrow.

You can also use the free transform for more accurate placement of your duplicate text layer, or any other layer for that matter.

To undo, you click edit>undo (it will say what it is you are undoing). To go back further, edit>step backwards. In CS3 you can control how many undos it will let you do.

All the filters in CS3 are controllable, either by offering a slider which you position where you like or, in the case of Paint Daubs and others, it takes you to another screen where you can make alterations.

I'm not sure what you mean by cropping all layers You can go shift+ctrl+alt+e to make a stamp of your layers. This can then be cropped.

When you want to open several pics into PS, hold down ctrl and hover over each pic that you want, then click 'open' and all those pics will pop up in PS.

And the most important thing you need to do? Ask questions

I know what you mean about tutorials not giving enough detail. When I first started I found that most of them assume you know the basics I remember constantly asking 'where is this?', 'how do I do that?' until I got the hang of it

Comment

Great result lg

I think it works the same way for PS users trying out Gimp. But I really couldn't really get into it and actually fell back into PS almost immediately. But I have to admit I love PS. I started out with PS over a decade ago (back then all I knew was cutting and pasting!) and I simply moved from version to version.
              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but Adobe is GIVING away FREE Photoshop CS2. if you've ever wanted PS, now is your chance. It is a purely legitimate, legal copy. No, it's not the latest version and it doesn't do the new stuff like content aware filters, but it still is one of the top photoediting programs around. It is downloadable from Adobe here but I believe it is only for a limited time. Don't miss out!!!! I used this version for years - it's terrific
                thanks so much for this!!
                sigpic
                Sig by me my LJ - the place to find some of my artwork and fics - My Stargate vids

Comment

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                  Okay....figured since I'm 24 hours into this whole PS CS2 experience, I'd post my personal opinions.... Now, keep in mind that I'm new to PS and might not know all the tricks
                  1. Opening layers.
                  actually, if you want to make your background image moveable, just click on the little lock by the image in the layers panel and it will change to "Layer 0" then you can do anything with it.

2. Scaling/Rotating/Etc.
                  Jumble already covered this one. Remember, Shift + is your friend. Shift+brush will give you a perfectly straight line. Use CTRL+T to instantly bring up your transform tool, then mess about with it from there.

3. The Undo function.
                  CTRL +Z will undo the last action. CTRL+ALT +Z will undo again and again further back - as many times as you have the history set for (I've got mine set for 45 steps I think)

4. Filters.
                  Each is individually controllable.

5. Cropping.
                  You can do that cropping of a single layer that I was mentioning very quickly - M will instantly select your marquee tool (and yes, you can change the marquee from rectangle to circular, to a single line of pixels! to get a perfectly round circle, again hold SHIFT while you drag the marquee)

6. Moving layers around.
                  I don't quite understand - you can move a layer up or down the "stack", group it with other layers, create clipping masks, just by using the layers panel. Just drag the layer to the desired order. You can move the image around by switching to the move tool V and just moving it any which way. To move one pixel at a time - this is called "Nudge". CTRL + arrow key. Keep pressing to nudge however far you want side to side and up and down.

Loads and loads of shortcuts make your work quick and simple!
                  Last edited by Nolamom; 09 January 2013, 03:05 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                    3. The Undo function. There's probably a better way to do this, but I don't know it yet. In Gimp, if you don't like how something turned out, you can hit Ctrl-Z or Edit-->Undo to undo it. For something like 20 steps. It keeps a history. In CS2, you can only do that for your latest step. So, if you don't like how you erased something, and you clicked the eraser four times, you have to start over with that image....Gimp, just click the Undo quick keys or in the Edit menu, and stop where you want it.
                    50 steps. Believe me, yesterday I needed them - and I LOVE this feature in Gimp - because I think it's the thing I use the most.
                    Besides, the set looks great to me!

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                    Sig & Avi by Josi
                    sigpic
                    LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                    I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

I don't use any of the keyboard shortcuts in PS (except for making a stamp), because I'd never remember them all - I use a mouse, much easier for me

Comment

I've been trying to learn more of the shortcuts. Saves on the number of clicks! I actually don't use all that many. There are a few that I rely on - CTRL+SHIFT+N to create a new layer, CTRL+M for curves, CTRL+U for hue/saturation, CTRL+X to cut pixels, CTRL+D to deselect. It very, very quickly becomes second nature and I find that I have to think for half a second which drop-down menu I would have to go to to accomplish the same thing

OH! and I use CTRL+ + or - to zoom in and out! I'd be sunk without that when doing pixel art!
                        sigpic

Comment

Horses for courses That all went clear over my head

I think the fact that I use a very large laptop makes mousing easier than keying, because I mouse rather than use the touchpad and the mouse is always in my hand

Comment

I have CS3 and I don't know how it differs from CS2, but....

Editing pictures - I use edit>free transform, from where you can change the size and shape of your pic or text. To keep the aspect ratio correct, hold down 'shift' and pull the corner in or out You can also rotate it by putting your cursor near the edge until you get a curled arrow.

You can also use the free transform for more accurate placement of your duplicate text layer, or any other layer for that matter.

To undo, you click edit>undo (it will say what it is you are undoing). To go back further, edit>step backwards. In CS3 you can control how many undos it will let you do.

All the filters in CS3 are controllable, either by offering a slider which you position where you like or, in the case of Paint Daubs and others, it takes you to another screen where you can make alterations.

I'm not sure what you mean by cropping all layers You can go shift+ctrl+alt+e to make a stamp of your layers. This can then be cropped.

When you want to open several pics into PS, hold down ctrl and hover over each pic that you want, then click 'open' and all those pics will pop up in PS.

And the most important thing you need to do? Ask questions

I know what you mean about tutorials not giving enough detail. When I first started I found that most of them assume you know the basics I remember constantly asking 'where is this?', 'how do I do that?' until I got the hang of it
                            Oh, trust me, I know about asking questions. And you all have been wonderful with answering them.

Cropping layers....In Gimp, when you've got a bunch of layers and you want to crop just the top one, you can select "Crop Current Layer only" and then crop just that one layer. There's no such thing as the Marquee tool like what Nola was talking about earlier. Which threw me for a loop.

I guess it's just that some things are a few steps less in Gimp...at least right now. Not quite as many quick-keys. I'm just used to having the Scale button right there where I don't have to hit a quick key combo or go through a menu to get to it. But I am bookmarking this post. The making a stamp.....I kept looking all over for some what on HOW to do that.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            1. Opening layers.
                            actually, if you want to make your background image moveable, just click on the little lock by the image in the layers panel and it will change to "Layer 0" then you can do anything with it.

2. Scaling/Rotating/Etc.
                            Jumble already covered this one. Remember, Shift + is your friend. Shift+brush will give you a perfectly straight line. Use CTRL+T to instantly bring up your transform tool, then mess about with it from there.

3. The Undo function.
                            CTRL +Z will undo the last action. CTRL+ALT +Z will undo again and again further back - as many times as you have the history set for (I've got mine set for 45 steps I think)

4. Filters.
                            Each is individually controllable.

5. Cropping.
                            You can do that cropping of a single layer that I was mentioning very quickly - M will instantly select your marquee tool (and yes, you can change the marquee from rectangle to circular, to a single line of pixels! to get a perfectly round circle, again hold SHIFT while you drag the marquee)

6. Moving layers around.
                            I don't quite understand - you can move a layer up or down the "stack", group it with other layers, create clipping masks, just by using the layers panel. Just drag the layer to the desired order. You can move the image around by switching to the move tool V and just moving it any which way. To move one pixel at a time - this is called "Nudge". CTRL + arrow key. Keep pressing to nudge however far you want side to side and up and down.

Loads and loads of shortcuts make your work quick and simple!
                            By opening layers, I mean opening them so they're already in your artwork. So far, the only way I've found (and I could be wrong because I'm new--I try to keep that in mind) is to use File--Open. It opens up into a separate window, and then I have to paste it into my sig/avi/whatever. In Gimp, this step is extraneous. You go to File--Open As Layers, and it'll open directly into whatever I'm working on, no extra windows to close.

I can get a screen cap later if I need to explain what I'm talking about.

In Gimp, the Ctrl button is your friend. It does the exact same thing the Shift key does here.

Ctrl-Alt-Z. See, not one of the "basic" tuts I found showed that. Nothing against any of the tuts here...we all just assume everyone knows the basics. But I AM bookmarking these posts for future reference.

Moving layers around......Grabbing them and dragging them. Positioning them in the artwork. In Gimp, it's all one function, whether I want to move one pixel or one thousand. Just click on the button and drag the artwork around.

Horses for courses That all went clear over my head

I think the fact that I use a very large laptop makes mousing easier than keying, because I mouse rather than use the touchpad and the mouse is always in my hand
                            I use a mouse, too, and have for over a year. At first, it felt a little awkward, but now I wonder how I ever liked the touchpad.

As I said earlier, when I posted, a lot of this is a newbie giving her honest opinion, no bashing intended.

Comment

No bashing was suspected lg I'm pretty sure when I first opened PS I just sat and stared at it for some time before I plucked up the courage to actually touch anything You've done really well to actually produce something inside 24 hours

Comment

No bashing was suspected lg I'm pretty sure when I first opened PS I just sat and stared at it for some time before I plucked up the courage to actually touch anything You've done really well to actually produce something inside 24 hours
                                It's helped that I know Gimp as well as I do. Things like Layer Modes and such translate right over, and I love the coloring and warping text and filters. Right now, imo, both programs have pros and cons.

Which brings to mind another topic. I was chatting with a friend last night, and she mentioned how our tuts tend to assume we know things. For example, "Make a stamp." It's just a quick pointer that not everyone is fully aware of the tricks we all take for granted.

Comment

Working...
                                X