Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yamiinsane View Post

My new look is courtesy of me trying to get back into making calendars for next year.
    That's an idea! Do you have a calendar template, or do you do *everything* from scratch?

I was wondering if I should try something like that and give it away as Christmas gifts.
    Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Bay and mere Welcome back Padme. Calendars for gifts sounds like a great idea Iko - would be something useful and pretty that lasts the whole year ... mmm, wonder if I could do that for anyone on my Christmas list ...

Decided to try another shadowplay tutorial ... made this

from this. It's not for GIMP so I had to fudge a few things and the colours aren't quite right as a result.

Edit: Mmm, the thumbnail looks better than the big version ... big size just zooms in on the imperfections
      sigpic

Comment

Well... I zoomed in on it Sha and think it looks brilliant. It also seems appropriate for October.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the welcome back, Sha and Mere.
          Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
            Well... I zoomed in on it Sha and think it looks brilliant. It also seems appropriate for October.
            Thanks Bay ... didn't even notice that it's a bit Halloweenish *grins* ... I was too taken with the clocks being there and thinking that was a nice fit for the Doctor I do like seeing the little thumbnails - always amazed at how good they all look.
            sigpic

Comment

yamiinsane....would you consider a calendar tutorial...perhaps???
              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
                yamiinsane....would you consider a calendar tutorial...perhaps???
                Oooo yes please that sounds like an awesome Christmas present!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Bailey: Love it! And thanks for the tut

Meredith: Love them both! Awesome takes on the tuts

Ikorni: Absolutely love it! And thanks for the link

Sha: Gorgeous! Both times

Welcome back Padme

Ikorni: I used to use a script that created the monthly calendars but now I just do it all from scratch. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the yearly calendars that I plan.

EDIT: I can try to make a tutorial for one.
                  sigpic
                  Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

My take on Bay's tut......

Comment

I love it Jumble!
                      sigpic

Comment

very effective Jumble
                        sigpic

Comment

Lovely Jumble!

Meredith, your Kara Thrace sig is awesome!
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks mane, LG's tutorial was very thourgh and I'm such a noob that I need um like that hehe

It still blows me away how much time everyone spends playing with the adjustment layers and coloring. I always feel like I mess everything up when I try if on my own. I guess its all about experience and experimentation
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
                              Thanks mane, LG's tutorial was very thourgh and I'm such a noob that I need um like that hehe

It still blows me away how much time everyone spends playing with the adjustment layers and coloring. I always feel like I mess everything up when I try if on my own. I guess its all about experience and experimentation
                              That's exactly what it is I remember Oma telling me when I first started with Gimp - "Click everything to see what it does and then just experiment, experiment, experiment!" And she was soooo right

Thanks Mane and Nola

Comment

Awesome Jumble!

Here is the tutorial that Ikorni and Meredith asked for:

To make a monthly calendar:

Spoiler:
                                1) Make the background that you want, just make sure that there is some area that you can work with on whatever side you wish. (I'll use the June 2013 Caskett calendar that I just made for examples.) i.e.:

2) Take a text box that is vertical and narrow. The font should be something along the lines of Time New Roman, or my favorite in this case Roman Caps. I always start with the first vertical row that has the first day of the month. The numbers should always be: 1, 8, 15, 22, and/or 29. When finished, it should look somehting like this:

3) Duplicate the text and edit the numbers. If there are no numbers on the first horizontal row then make sure that area is empty. When you are finished, it should look like this:

4) Create another text box but make sure it's horizontal and can fit into where you wish to put the calendar, in my case it's the frame. Choose another font, one that everyone can understand, and use the abbreviations: Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat. Make sure there are a few spaces in between the abbreviations, I always use 4 spaces but choose which you like better. Move to where you would have your calendar, like this:

5) Now comes the tricky part... select all the number layers and move them under the day that has the first of the month on. (like in the previous example.)

6) Nudge all the other numbers under the day that they belong to, like so:

7) If you wish, add some blending options to the text. Just make sure you write down everything so that all the layers look uniform. Then add your month and the year and place them wherever you like on the wallpaper, if you wish you could also add those blending options as well. You can also add some sort of phrase, but I've decided to not add any phrases for any of my 2013 calendars.

8) Finish up your wallpaper by whatever means you like and you've gotten yourself a calendar.

If you still have questions, please let me know.
                                sigpic
                                Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Working...
                                X