Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the tut M asked for.

To make this:

Note: This was originally based on this tut by josiane. I wound up going my own way on the textures and such, coming up with this one.

Spoiler:
    You will need:

Open your canvas to whatever size you need. All of these textures are quite large, so they work really well for wallies as well as sigs. Fill your background with white.

Add first background. Scale so that the entire bow is in the artwork and set it off to one side. If necessary, duplicate and blend so that you've got a solid background. If necessary, merge layers.

Using the smudge tool, smudge out the grungy texture of the background. Be careful around the bow to leave the tie but to remove the texture.

Open your character pic, in my case, the one of Daniel. Scale and position as desired, then erase the background. Duplicate that image, and set the new layer to Overlay, opacity 40%. This adds a bit of warmth and definition to the picture.

Add the Sunset background. Reverse it so the sun is on the right side of the artwork, near the bow. If necessary, resize. Set to Overlay, opacity 100%. Using the smudge tool again, carefully smudge only the portion of this texture that is over your character. You want to keep the color changes by the fading sunset without the actual texture being over the person.

Add the glow texture. Scale and position as desired. Set to Screen, opacity 100%.

Add the bokeh texture. Scale and position as desired. Set to Screen, modifying your opacity as you see fit.

Layer—New from Visible.

Coloring
    Spoiler:
    For this, you'll need both curves and color balance.

Curves
    Value: 87, 81
    142, 149

Color balance
    I completely forgot to write down my settings on color balance. So, I can tell you that I didn't do anything with Highlights. With Midtones and Shadows, I upped the reds and yellows to give it that really plum-red color.

Text
    Spoiler:

For “Remember Me,” I used Champagne in color #ca917c. It will blend with the background, but don't worry. It'll be very obvious by the time you're done.

Using color #fad8ba, set your paintbrush mode to Soft Light. Using a medium-sized round brush, go over the top of the words once or twice, just enough to lighten them to an almost white color.

In color #4c193d, type in the same words. Put them directly over your modified layer and set to Overlay, opacity 100%. This will give a nice purpley look to the words without losing the brightness.

For “When the color of a sunset fills the sky,” I used Champagne and Limousines in color #ca917c. Then, using color #fad8ba and the same soft brush on Soft Light, I went over all the words, brightening them.

Add a drop shadow to all of the text in color #3a284e with the following settings:
    Offset X: 0
    Offset Y: 0
    Blur radius: 20
    Do not allow resizing.

Layer—New from Visible.

Sharpen the entire thing, and you're done.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Comment

Awesome art everyone! Love the digitally painted fruits you did Nola.
      sigpic

Comment

Not for the challenge...

One might think I've been on a Castle and Castle/Beckett roll lately, with a little side of Once Upon a Time, lol. I'm thinking of shifting to another show and couple for awhile, but I've just got to find good caps for it...
        sigpic
        Sig by Ikorni for Secret Santa

Comment

Wonderful artworks and tutorials everyone!
          sigpic
          Thanks to Jumble for the icon and siggy.
          My ff.net My Own Website

Comment

Hello.

I made a tutorial
            How to make something like that:

CLICK TO ENLARGE!
            In case you haven't watched Sherlocks Reichenbach Fall, yet: SPOILER AHEAD!

THIS WAY PLEASE!
            Last edited by Luciana; 14 April 2012, 04:15 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

used lg's tut
              sigpic
              Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

a new idea for a challenge
                (it's not that good i know)
                Spoiler:
                we all post your favorite films of all time i would post the original Police Academy and then someone say Jumble would make a set (avi,sig,wallie) for that film
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for those tuts lg and Luci

*Snurches textures*

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
                    a new idea for a challenge
                    (it's not that good i know)
                    Spoiler:
                    we all post your favorite films of all time i would post the original Police Academy and then someone say Jumble would make a set (avi,sig,wallie) for that film
                    Thanks LTC, challenge ideas are always welcome

You think I could Jumblify Police Academy?

Comment

probs i wonder if Hightower and Martin look the same
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
                        probs i wonder if Hightower and Martin look the same
                        Not even remotely

Comment

if's Martins got his angry face on he does
                          i think Martin looks close to a young LT. Harris
                          sigpic

Comment

He doesn't have an angry face - that's a frown of concentration

Comment

tehe
                              sigpic

Comment

Nice job, LtCol.

If I can put in my own two cents, I actually like that challenge idea. It would force us to work with characters/shows/movies that are a bit out of our comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                                X