Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maneth View Post
    Wow! I whistled at those.
    Awww shucks! Thanks. He is so drool worthy!
    sigpic
    Sig made by me

Comment

That he is!
      sigpic

Comment

That he is!
        Okay, one more then I will stop....

sigpic
        Sig made by me

Comment

I modeled a 3D chess set today for the fun of it. The hardest part was the knight. All other pieces are symmetrical and round.
          3d_chess_set_01.jpg
          Now I just need to think of something cool to do with them. I considered elevating certain squares - something Escher-ish (maybe grayscale with a pencil-sketch render), or weighting the board in the center so it dips inwards like a bowl, or doing the opposite and making it a sphere, or exploding the squares from the center... but... not cool enough. Any ideas?

--edit--
          Maybe I should have asked first, I'm new to this topic and I don't know... is it okay to post random art like this when it's not on the given topic/task?

Random Tip: When I render 3D models I usually use one white light in the top center (60% brightness), a pale blue light on the right/foreground (40% brightness), and a pale orange light (40% brightness) on the left/background. The addition of the two colored lights adds both warmth and coolness to the image and causes it to look a lot more realistic.

Here is a comparison to my previous image. This one only has the white light:
          3d_chess_set_02.jpg

The background 'floor' is pale gray in this render, but when you have a texture you can't see the orange and blue on the floor like you can in my previous post. You just get the effect of the color in the reflections.

I don't do much image manipulation except with my photographs, but this lighting technique can be applied to 2D graphics also by just using semi-transparent gradient layers. Try it out and play around with the idea sometime.
          Last edited by Science; 04 June 2016, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Wow, just go ahead and post anything you've made. That chessboard looks... playable.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IamDKScully View Post
              Hey all! It's been forever!!!!!! RL has been so that I haven't been online for fun much. Hope you all are doing awesome!

I don't think I've opened Gimp since Christmas and I was jonesing to do something creative and came up with this the other night. I liked the wellie so much that I made a smaller one for my phone

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/iamdkscully/Doctor%20Who/th_Doc%20and%20Donna_zps4hjbs8rw.png[

Phone version:

[URL=http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/iamdkscully/media/Doctor%20Who/Doc%20and%20DonnaPhone_zpsl7bvgj9u.png.html]http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r740/iamdkscully/Doctor%20Who/th_Doc%20and%20DonnaPhone_zpsl7bvgj9u.png[/IMG]
              Originally posted by DJgirl View Post
              Been a while since I have been in here. I went back through some of the pages and there is some AMAZING artwork in here. Great job to all!!!

Here is something I made sort of based off this tut. Thanks so much!!

Awesome artwork ladies and so good to see you back on the thread

I haven't either, but since I like looking at hairy guys in leather, I just might give it a go myself...
              You think the only reason we love The Musketeers is because they look good in leather?

So shallow!

Originally posted by Science View Post
              I modeled a 3D chess set today for the fun of it. The hardest part was the knight. All other pieces are symmetrical and round.

Now I just need to think of something cool to do with them. I considered elevating certain squares - something Escher-ish (maybe grayscale with a pencil-sketch render), or weighting the board in the center so it dips inwards like a bowl, or doing the opposite and making it a sphere, or exploding the squares from the center... but... not cool enough. Any ideas?

--edit--
              Maybe I should have asked first, I'm new to this topic and I don't know... is it okay to post random art like this when it's not on the given topic/task?
              Post any art you like - that's what the thread is all about and we love seeing new and interesting ways to create lovely pieces

Random Tip: When I render 3D models I usually use one white light in the top center (60% brightness), a pale blue light on the right/foreground (40% brightness), and a pale orange light (40% brightness) on the left/background. The addition of the two colored lights adds both warmth and coolness to the image and causes it to look a lot more realistic.

Here is a comparison to my previous image. This one only has the white light:

The background 'floor' is pale gray in this render, but when you have a texture you can't see the orange and blue on the floor like you can in my previous post. You just get the effect of the color in the reflections.

I don't do much image manipulation except with my photographs, but this lighting technique can be applied to 2D graphics also by just using semi-transparent gradient layers. Try it out and play around with the idea sometime.
              Thanks for the tips and info

Comment

I'm not sure how many artists we have here, but it could be fun if one week we were given a topic, and sets of two of us paired up and did one piece together as a team. Would be even cooler if we could choose our own topic that week. What do you think?

Comment

Awesome work everyone! So good to see you back on the thread Scully,DJGirl and Mane

And Science, you're definitely welcome to post any art here, any time. The challenges are just to give us something to kick our muses into action, but all art is welcome. In fact, that's rule number one of the thread

Originally posted by Jumble View Post

You think the only reason we love The Musketeers is because they look good in leather?

So shallow!

Definitely not the *only* reason... But it is quite a long way up the list Though I have to say, it's not exactly a hardship making art with them
                  sigpic
                  Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Preview of the Stargate I've been working on:
                    stargate_006.jpg
                    I thought I'd include the design environment so you could see a little of how it's done. The end result will eventually be a simple wallpaper for my phone. After I finish this I may make the Atlantis ring.

If anyone wants a clean (larger) render to make a banner from, let me know and I'll post it.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome back Josiane and Jumble!! I am glad to be back.

Preview of the Stargate I've been working on:
                      I thought I'd include the design environment so you could see a little of how it's done. The end result will eventually be a simple wallpaper for my phone. After I finish this I may make the Atlantis ring.

If anyone wants a clean (larger) render to make a banner from, let me know and I'll post it.
                      Very cool Science!

It was an rainy day yesterday and the muse was strong. Here are a few more things I made yesterday. Not only is Colin my muse, but Captain Swan and Jen Morrison is also my main subjects of the moment.

Last edited by DJgirl; 08 June 2016, 02:20 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Sig made by me

Comment

Wow Science, that's impressive!

And those are beautiful, DJGirl

A just-because one from me - more Hamilton meets the Musketeers (and a piece without Aramis in it )

sigpic
                        Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                          Wow Science, that's impressive!

And those are beautiful, DJGirl

A just-because one from me - more Hamilton meets the Musketeers (and a piece without Aramis in it )

That's gorgeous!!
                          sigpic
                          Sig made by me

Comment

Science, awesome 3D stuff.

Lovely wallie, josi.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DJgirl View Post
                              Not only is Colin my muse, but Captain Swan and Jen Morrison are also my main subjects of the moment.
                              Who are those people?

I really like the one with the lady in the center and the washed background. Really good work on mixing the strands of hair over the scenery.

Comment

Who are those people?

I really like the one with the lady in the center and the washed background. Really good work on mixing the strands of hair over the scenery.
                                They are from the tv show Once Upon A Time. And thanks! That one is one of my favs too and kind of a happy accident one. I just started throwing stock images on top of each other and that was the result.
                                sigpic
                                Sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X