Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    I may or may not post up a tut for others, though I use GIMP 2.8.14 myself, can't get PS due to computer limitations and also money limitations
    Most things are translatable, and there are people here using both programs, so if you want to do one, go for it

Originally posted by losernerdfriend View Post
    New sig.. but is there a better way to compress the image so that not as much quality is lost? I saved is as a .png from a .psd that was 300px resolution and it looks pretty bad now.. >.<
    Make things at 72px resolution rather than 300 for a start 72px is standard screen resolution so no need to use higher (300px is what you'd need for good quality printing). Hi res screens such as for iPads are higher but not as high as 300. That might help. Also try saving as .jpg or .gif which tend to be smaller than .pngs - .png is better quality but if you're having to reduce a lot to get it under the 100kb with a .png you might find it looks better if you compress as a .jpg or a .gif I often try several options and save in the one that looks best at the right size
    sigpic
    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

New sig.. but is there a better way to compress the image so that not as much quality is lost? I saved is as a .png from a .psd that was 300px resolution and it looks pretty bad now.. >.<
      Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
      Compression is always a problem but it doesn't look bad to me. In fact, it looks awesome! Well done.

Call me lazy any time you want!
      Originally posted by josiane View Post
      Most things are translatable, and there are people here using both programs, so if you want to do one, go for it

Make things at 72px resolution rather than 300 for a start 72px is standard screen resolution so no need to use higher (300px is what you'd need for good quality printing). Hi res screens such as for iPads are higher but not as high as 300. That might help. Also try saving as .jpg or .gif which tend to be smaller than .pngs - .png is better quality but if you're having to reduce a lot to get it under the 100kb with a .png you might find it looks better if you compress as a .jpg or a .gif I often try several options and save in the one that looks best at the right size
      Those are great suggestions, Josi.

Another way to reduce your file size is to use "Save for Web." I use it only on stuff I plan to post here or on other sites where KB size is an issue. But I've found I can get pretty decent quality by flattening my final piece (after I save the .PSD) and then using the save for web feature.

To flatten a piece, use the Layers menu (or wherever you can find Merge Down) and select Flatten Image.

Comment

Yep, absolutely! Always save for web
        sigpic

Comment

Gorgeous arts everyone!

I used this tutorial, found on Shadowplay, but couldn't decide which version I liked better.

Then this one from Josi's recent tutorial:

sigpic
          Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

@!JadedWraith: thanks for the PM; but sadly I must pass on the offer; when I say computer limitations I mean just that, if I tried to install any version of photoshop, my laptop will go belly up. I shall stick with GIMP

I will soon have a tute up soon

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Gorgeous work, yami, on all three!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                Those are great suggestions, Josi.

Another way to reduce your file size is to use "Save for Web." I use it only on stuff I plan to post here or on other sites where KB size is an issue. But I've found I can get pretty decent quality by flattening my final piece (after I save the .PSD) and then using the save for web feature.

To flatten a piece, use the Layers menu (or wherever you can find Merge Down) and select Flatten Image.
                Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I completely forgot Photoshop has a save for web feature. That piece took about 6 hrs so after I was a little brain dead. Haha.
                sigpic
                [call me loser.]

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I completely forgot Photoshop has a save for web feature. That piece took about 6 hrs so after I was a little brain dead. Haha.
                  Save for web is my usual go to feature.

I really like the piece. There is a lot thought and meaning in it ( I generally splash images until it looks okayish, with no real meaning) So, well done.

@Princess A. I understand you perfectly. My old lappie was very limited and that was the reason why I always hesitated to install another graphics' software as well. I'm still not sure about my current one.
                  sigpic
                  Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                  Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Wonderful artworks, Yamiisane.

Thanks for the tutorial, Josiane.

Here's my own take on your tutorial.

sigpic
                    Thanks to Jumble for the icon and siggy.
                    My ff.net My Own Website

Comment

Fixed my sig! Thanks again everyone for the help!
                      sigpic
                      [call me loser.]

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                        There's nothing wrong with GIMP It's what I use for making textures

Photoshop has too many features, too many options to make everything as easy as possible.. makes people lazy

*runs away*
                        This is one of the reasons of computer limitation, too much stuff that isn't needed. There are some things native to GIMP that PS does not have, and some things native to PS that GIMP does not have, but almost everything else is the same. Aside from the cost.

Last I saw STUDENT VERSION of Adobe Photoshop CS6 was running upwards of USD300, standard was nearly double that. whereas GIMP is totaly free.

Will possibly have a tut up tomorrow or the day after, depends on how my other project goes

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

thanks for the tut josi
                          sigpic
                          Sig by me my LJ - the place to find some of my artwork and fics - My Stargate vids

Comment

I guess nobody noticed or cared but, to be honest, this is bothering me:

The issue is simply this: I accidentally copied Josi's idea in one of AFA entries, by using the same texture as the base for the piece. Unfortunately, I only realised that that after posting the entry for the challenge. I tried to delete said piece, but as you know, Photobucket server has a time delay and the entry got through anyway. I could have explained that to person who was hosting the challenge and I didn't.

As you all know, I love following tuts or making art inspired by someone else's work. But this was the case where I didn't realise I was doing it.

So my apologies, Josi: It was never my intention to rip off anything or to diminish your lovely idea, in any way. It just happened.
                            sigpic

Comment

Don't worry JW - we are all influenced by each other's art and textures are freely shared here. That's pretty much the point of having a thread like this I'm sure Josi will be nothing but flattered that she influenced you, however slightly, to make a lovely piece of artwork

I didn't realise that you thought there was a problem with it, I just thought you meant you'd deleted it by accident but since I had already copied it, it didn't matter

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                                Don't worry JW - we are all influenced by each other's art and textures are freely shared here. That's pretty much the point of having a thread like this I'm sure Josi will be nothing but flattered that she influenced you, however slightly, to make a lovely piece of artwork

I didn't realise that you thought there was a problem with it, I just thought you meant you'd deleted it by accident but since I had already copied it, it didn't matter
                                I know. I should have said something but I felt embarrassed. It was totally my mistake.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X