Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
    Okay, so yami and JW asked for a tut. I can't take credit for the idea, though. I saw one of Nad's designs on a different thread and fell in love with the idea of the different squares.

<snip>
    Thanks, I'm bookmarking it to try it later, as I will do the same with Nola's lighting effects one. I have to find a suitable images to fit them both and the Lord knows I utterly suck at it.

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
    Okay, I made something...

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...phia-sig-1.jpg

Welcome to the thread MajorRyan!!!
    That is absolutely gorgeous, RiG. I love the colours, and by the way, Meredith5 your Current Jack and Sam sig is something precious. I really like it.

Originally posted by Major Ryan View Post
    Fantastic banners! I'm in awe of the styling.
    You ain't seen nothin' yet This thread has many talented people, who use many different styles.

I , not being one of the talented, went through several attemps at Icons to get this one I don't totally hate...

sigpic
    Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
    Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
      You ain't seen nothin' yet This thread has many talented people, who use many different styles.

I , not being one of the talented, went through several attemps at Icons to get this one I don't totally hate...

I think you're always too hard on yourself! Full of praise for everyone except for your own artistic skills.
      Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
        I think you're always too hard on yourself! Full of praise for everyone except for your own artistic skills.
        If you knew how many attemps I made before getting that one... Points for persistence, then.
        sigpic

Comment

If you knew how many attemps I made before getting that one... Points for persistence, then.
          sigpic

Comment

RiG, it's beautiful! The colors are so bright and happy.
            I never thought about the colors that way but you're right! And thank you!

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
            thanks Josie, thanks for the tut LG, and I love the new Anna Sophia banner RIG
            Thank you!

That is absolutely gorgeous, RiG. I love the colours, and by the way, Meredith5 your Current Jack and Sam sig is something precious. I really like it.
            Thank you!

Ain't that the truth!

Ooh, very pretty!
            sigpic
            Sig by ME.

Comment

Gorgeous icon, JW.

I think a lot of us here are that way. I know I have my favorite artists here and wish I could emulate their style a bit more.

But the truth is this: every person has a unique style, and that style is something that's developed over time. I've done pieces I just deleted because I couldn't get them to work right, and I've had things I've done that I'm not real happy with for one reason or another. Doesn't mean I'm "bad" at art. Just having an off day.

The same holds true for everyone else. When I first started doing art, I was very hard on myself, but very excited by what I could do. I love this thread because it's not based on WHO does the art, but the ART itself. I've been part of communities--and still am, unfortunately--that it's all about WHAT the art's about or WHO does the art. If you're not part of that small crowd or fandom, your art is overlooked. This thread is such a relief to be part of because it's one that appreciates the art for the art itself, not for the fandom or the artist. Everyone has something to offer. And, if we don't react specifically to the art, it just means we were on our phones or incredibly busy or just in a hurry.

I honestly don't know of a "bad" artist on here in terms of the art. I've had my own personality conflicts with some people, but that's never stopped me from appreciating the art. Each of us has something to offer, and I've learned things from JW or Ikorni just as easily as I learn from Sarai or Josiane. It all depends on the technique and, frankly, my mood at the moment. As I'm sure it does for everyone.

Okay, wow, that was a long, philosophical post. Sorry. That's just my view on our artists here on AfA.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                I never thought about the colors that way but you're right! And thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you!

Ain't that the truth!

Ooh, very pretty!

Gorgeous icon, JW.
                Thank you both.

I think a lot of us here are that way. I know I have my favorite artists here and wish I could emulate their style a bit more.

But the truth is this: every person has a unique style, and that style is something that's developed over time. I've done pieces I just deleted because I couldn't get them to work right, and I've had things I've done that I'm not real happy with for one reason or another. Doesn't mean I'm "bad" at art. Just having an off day.

The same holds true for everyone else. When I first started doing art, I was very hard on myself, but very excited by what I could do. I love this thread because it's not based on WHO does the art, but the ART itself. I've been part of communities--and still am, unfortunately--that it's all about WHAT the art's about or WHO does the art. If you're not part of that small crowd or fandom, your art is overlooked. This thread is such a relief to be part of because it's one that appreciates the art for the art itself, not for the fandom or the artist. Everyone has something to offer. And, if we don't react specifically to the art, it just means we were on our phones or incredibly busy or just in a hurry.

I honestly don't know of a "bad" artist on here in terms of the art. I've had my own personality conflicts with some people, but that's never stopped me from appreciating the art. Each of us has something to offer, and I've learned things from JW or Ikorni just as easily as I learn from Sarai or Josiane. It all depends on the technique and, frankly, my mood at the moment. As I'm sure it does for everyone.

Okay, wow, that was a long, philosophical post. Sorry. That's just my view on our artists here on AfA.
                Lovely "philosophical post". I subscribe everything you wrote. It's about the art and it's a true joy to open this thread, look at someone's piece and gasp and get that wow!!!! feeling. You don't know how many times I get that

I just feel very frustrated when I try someone's tut and it doesn't work, as hard I try. I'm sure it happens to all of us but the last thing I would want is to make someone think I'm disrespecting her/his concept. Any tut shared implies a lot of time, resources and special skills shared and it's very appreciated. Just my basic two cents.
                sigpic

Comment

It does happen to all of us. More than you'd know. I can't count the number of tuts I've started only to realize the perspective or something is off. And there I go again, looking for the right image.

Comment

I love the icon JW and I also love the one you're currently using Don't laugh at me but who is that... he looks familiar!

I agree as well, one of the things that makes this thread so great and popular is that everyone brings something different to the table. We not only get to share our work with our friends and fellow artists but it helps give everyone ideas to try something completely different. We get the chance to step out of our safety zones and might learn something new or a method that we like better then something we've used previously.

I remember when I first started creating art and joined AFA that I had no idea what a layer mask was and now I can't live without them!!!

I just feel very frustrated when I try someone's tut and it doesn't work, as hard I try. I'm sure it happens to all of us but the last thing I would want is to make someone think I'm disrespecting her/his concept. Any tut shared implies a lot of time, resources and special skills shared and it's very appreciated. Just my basic two cents.
                    I feel the same way, most of the time it's not a reflection of you or even the tutorial but that the model image added something to the overall piece of art so when you swap it with one of your own you loose part of the background, coloring, and/or texture. I've had that problem more then once. It's frustrating because somethings you really want to recreate that piece of art with a different person but I try to think of it as an opportunity to try something different and put my own spin on the tut.

Sometimes if I'm having a hard time coming up with a piece of art I'll start by following a tut then start throwing in my own stocks and textures and come up with something completely different
                    sigpic

Comment

Another very quick and fun tut...Interweaving Photo Strips

sigpic

Comment

http://fav.me/d6cv1lf

Updating the Barbot..

I'll get the animation finished one day.. I made the original supersculpey model in 2005..

Comment

Love the woven look Nola It's very cool.

Pharaoh Hamenthotep: Nice Barbot, you always create the most unique things

I made another sig, this time in honor of the Veroinca Mars movie... also another pastel banner lol. I'm not really happy with the font I used for their names :/

sigpic

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBzamnOro5M

^ An old Barbot animation..

Comment

It does happen to all of us. More than you'd know. I can't count the number of tuts I've started only to realize the perspective or something is off. And there I go again, looking for the right image.
                              Glad to hear it. it's so disappointing because I loved some quality/ qualities in the original and I'm unable to reproduce it in any way. But base pics are essential

I love the icon JW and I also love the one you're currently using Don't laugh at me but who is that... he looks familiar!
                              He has been more visible in British TV Richard Armitage. He's in the Hobbit as Thorin Oakenshield ( with longer hair and a straight nose )b. My current adorable Icon was made by the goddess of Icons, aka Ikorni.

I agree as well, one of the things that makes this thread so great and popular is that everyone brings something different to the table. We not only get to share our work with our friends and fellow artists but it helps give everyone ideas to try something completely different. We get the chance to step out of our safety zones and might learn something new or a method that we like better then something we've used previously.

I remember when I first started creating art and joined AFA that I had no idea what a layer mask was and now I can't live without them!!!
                              neither did I ...or what a stamp was...or how to use Gaussian blur...the list is endless. Quite recently I had no idea that eraser had the magic and the background removing settings

I have to say that the great responsible for me beeing was yamii, to whom I completely wrecked a tut, but I had so much fun trying to following it and she was so kind ..that she unleashed a monster.

I feel the same way, most of the time it's not a reflection of you or even the tutorial but that the model image added something to the overall piece of art so when you swap it with one of your own you loose part of the background, coloring, and/or texture. I've had that problem more then once. It's frustrating because somethings you really want to recreate that piece of art with a different person but I try to think of it as an opportunity to try something different and put my own spin on the tut.

Sometimes if I'm having a hard time coming up with a piece of art I'll start by following a tut then start throwing in my own stocks and textures and come up with something completely different
                              Initially I try to follow it to the letter and it ends up different...I wonder why?

I quickly browsed it and it's really interesting. another to bookmark and ruin later...

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                              http://fav.me/d6cv1lf

Updating the Barbot..

I'll get the animation finished one day.. I made the original supersculpey model in 2005..
                              Way back in the day... I also appreciate the diversity of art we have here. ( My ambition is to have a Jadedbot one day...)

I also appreciate those who draw ( I'm thinking of XFChemist, among others, who often blows my mind and makes me think I should try to sketch more) or sculpt ...or animate.

Love the woven look Nola It's very cool.

I made another sig, this time in honor of the Veroinca Mars movie... also another pastel banner lol. I'm not really happy with the font I used for their names :/

<snip>
                              I'm never happy with fonts and I steal everyone else's but I like the simpler one on top of the fancy initials.
                              sigpic

Comment

Thank you both.
                                Y'welcome.

@Pharaoh: as always, love the Barbot.

@meredithe: Very pretty sig, love the colors! I also love your Jack/Sam sig. Makes me want to make one!

@Nola: Neat Jack (or is it RDA?) art!
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME.

Comment

Working...
                                X