This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    Wait... which Goa'uld, er god, is taking his believers again?
    You found me out!!

..... I am still here.... and here I thought I was gonna go out with a bang.. had enough tequila to do it too...
    This isn't about love. This is about revenge....

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
      Its ironic that this guy claims to be using the bible to make his point and he was wrong once before....
      Harold Camping is apparently an amillenialist and doesn't believe in this stuff literally. It's all symbolic.

In 1988, when the ten nations of Europe were supposed to be united under one entity, many people -- in many Christian circles strongly believed / hoped the Rapture would occur then. Israel had its 40th birthday as a *recognized* nation, and therefore if one generation = 40 years on the Moses wandering around the desert for 40 days or 40 years, so it *MIGHT* be with the potential date for the Rapture. And this was believed by many Christians who never even heard of the Rapture theory before.

Well, from my own personal experience -- my family just looked forward to hoping "no more bills, pills or ills" to deal with, but when 1988 came, we also got sidetracked because our wonderful bank screwed up our payment account, and we lost a brand new home less then a month of moving in, because of the bank. So, we had other *really serious* issues to deal with and focus on than be concerned about whether or not the Rapture might happen then or not.

It didn't happen. Such was our luck. Ohhhhhh, if it only HAD occurred, it would have been nice. No more hassles with the bank or any other bank to bother with. And we wouldn't have had to end up homeless in the interim.

On the other extreme, my mom was looking forward to the Rapture most of her elderly adult life (she was diabetic and living on a limited income). She passed away several years ago without being Raptured first, so unfortunately, she felt the sting of death when it occurred. Raptured for those still alive means getting out of this mortal life without dying, and never feeling the effects thereof. And for people who are still alive -- That's what makes it so sweet to look forward to.
      (the only string attached is where your belief in Jesus Christ resides, or not.. and not all believers in Jesus (of Nazareth) are believed to be going in the Rapture, due to other factors, like emotional baggage they carry around, among other issues of their heart...)

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
      If any of y'all are planning to get raptured up, and want to leave me anything, let me know. Cars, cash, shoes, books, whatever, I'm happy to take stuff.
      I'd be careful at jumping into just taking anything. Nowadays, there might be bed bugs living in some of the fabrics of the furniture, including CARS (because what might be inside the home gets picked up into the clothes and passed into the cars). Also, most of the bed bugs have been getting free transport world-wide now if someone went to a motel / hotel where the critters were and dropped off into the car seats, trunk from luggage, etc. It's been in the news for months and months now about the infestations being nearly everywhere. And if transporting a friend who was in one of those bed-bug places, better be careful about where you sit or rest down upon next time.. yah never know...!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if a Rapture believing person was driving a car when the Rapture occurs, chances are the car will end up totaled somewhere and not worth salvaging much from inside it anyway.

Most books would most likely be Bibles and materials all relating to the Rapture and why some folks got left behind...

Clothes -- again, watch out for bed-bugs and those creepy moth larvae in the rugs and in dresser drawers. Most of the Rapture believing families I've ever met don't really have much money to invest in cedar liners and don't think about bringing in fleas from outside, as well, if there are any pets in the house.

And some homes on the poor side use hand-me-down clothes, hand-me-down furniture, same with dishes, and second hand junk that is probably on its 3rd life cycle. So, if taking this stuff to pawn it won't make a happy bank account. With the economies being in such a rut, not many folks buying the goods from pawn shops, garage sales and even E-bay want to pay outrageous prices for junk. Even the electronics are most likely outdated and considered junk in some families.
      And with technology getting more advanced in short time spans is making things bought a year ago outdated and obsolete.

Plus, by the time you find any new neighborhoods to scour, they'll probably already been hit by the rest of the neighborhood already there with the same ideas...
      Food would probably be a priority, and that would most likely definitely be gone from the vermin scouring the neighborhoods, just as often occurs in tragic situations, such as Katrina, earthquakes, and other disasters.

Comment

Well one of the big problems I have with the Rapture is the way my Uncle explained it to me. He said the dead in Christ will be taken up to heaven as wel. And he did mean those who died. The big problem with this is that it seems to strongly imply that even though Christians die, nobody will be in heaven until the Rapture happens then the Tribulation begins. And that creates a huge contradictions because Christianity teaches that when you die if you were a good Christian then you get to go to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
          The forum is very quiet today...

Am I the only one left?

Yes, you are.
          sigpic
          Don't touch Lola

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
            The forum is very quiet today...

Am I the only one left?

I'm posting this from heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
              Harold Camping is apparently an amillenialist and doesn't believe in this stuff literally. It's all symbolic.

In 1988, when the ten nations of Europe were supposed to be united under one entity, many people -- in many Christian circles strongly believed / hoped the Rapture would occur then. Israel had its 40th birthday as a *recognized* nation, and therefore if one generation = 40 years on the Moses wandering around the desert for 40 days or 40 years, so it *MIGHT* be with the potential date for the Rapture. And this was believed by many Christians who never even heard of the Rapture theory before.

Well, from my own personal experience -- my family just looked forward to hoping "no more bills, pills or ills" to deal with, but when 1988 came, we also got sidetracked because our wonderful bank screwed up our payment account, and we lost a brand new home less then a month of moving in, because of the bank. So, we had other *really serious* issues to deal with and focus on than be concerned about whether or not the Rapture might happen then or not.

It didn't happen. Such was our luck. Ohhhhhh, if it only HAD occurred, it would have been nice. No more hassles with the bank or any other bank to bother with. And we wouldn't have had to end up homeless in the interim.

On the other extreme, my mom was looking forward to the Rapture most of her elderly adult life (she was diabetic and living on a limited income). She passed away several years ago without being Raptured first, so unfortunately, she felt the sting of death when it occurred. Raptured for those still alive means getting out of this mortal life without dying, and never feeling the effects thereof. And for people who are still alive -- That's what makes it so sweet to look forward to.
              (the only string attached is where your belief in Jesus Christ resides, or not.. and not all believers in Jesus (of Nazareth) are believed to be going in the Rapture, due to other factors, like emotional baggage they carry around, among other issues of their heart...)

I'd be careful at jumping into just taking anything. Nowadays, there might be bed bugs living in some of the fabrics of the furniture, including CARS (because what might be inside the home gets picked up into the clothes and passed into the cars). Also, most of the bed bugs have been getting free transport world-wide now if someone went to a motel / hotel where the critters were and dropped off into the car seats, trunk from luggage, etc. It's been in the news for months and months now about the infestations being nearly everywhere. And if transporting a friend who was in one of those bed-bug places, better be careful about where you sit or rest down upon next time.. yah never know...!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if a Rapture believing person was driving a car when the Rapture occurs, chances are the car will end up totaled somewhere and not worth salvaging much from inside it anyway.

Most books would most likely be Bibles and materials all relating to the Rapture and why some folks got left behind...

Clothes -- again, watch out for bed-bugs and those creepy moth larvae in the rugs and in dresser drawers. Most of the Rapture believing families I've ever met don't really have much money to invest in cedar liners and don't think about bringing in fleas from outside, as well, if there are any pets in the house.

And some homes on the poor side use hand-me-down clothes, hand-me-down furniture, same with dishes, and second hand junk that is probably on its 3rd life cycle. So, if taking this stuff to pawn it won't make a happy bank account. With the economies being in such a rut, not many folks buying the goods from pawn shops, garage sales and even E-bay want to pay outrageous prices for junk. Even the electronics are most likely outdated and considered junk in some families.
              And with technology getting more advanced in short time spans is making things bought a year ago outdated and obsolete.

Plus, by the time you find any new neighborhoods to scour, they'll probably already been hit by the rest of the neighborhood already there with the same ideas...
              Food would probably be a priority, and that would most likely definitely be gone from the vermin scouring the neighborhoods, just as often occurs in tragic situations, such as Katrina, earthquakes, and other disasters.
              I know what ya mean....whenever I buy clothes from thrift stores like the salvation army or goodwill, the first thing I do when I get home is toss it all in the wash to disinfect whatever bacteria or other nasties might be lurking within those clothes...last thing I wanna be doin' is breaking out in hives

Comment

Apparently it's about 5 mins til the Rapture.. not seeing anything yet..
                sigpic
                http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Nope.. we're all still here.
                  sigpic
                  http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                  http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Well, if this is the afterlife I'm damned disappointed.

Comment

.... I drank all that damn tequila for nothing!!!

Oh well.... least I had fun

Comment

I'm at work. Still waitin on ya Camping.
                        sigpic

Comment

4 n half hours to go. Boarding the windows in my house now....
                          sigpic
                          Does anyone else respond to something shocking in the manner of ELI....
                          "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                          Global Warming: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                          Ancient Aliens: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                          etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                            I know what ya mean....whenever I buy clothes from thrift stores like the salvation army or goodwill, the first thing I do when I get home is toss it all in the wash to disinfect whatever bacteria or other nasties might be lurking within those clothes...last thing I wanna be doin' is breaking out in hives
                            scary thought!! isn't it..?
                            It wasn't really until last year when we heard that the infestations of bed bugs were being found in practically everything. Regular department stores, such as Target, Walmart, even the uppity ones in NYC on 5th Ave were being invaded by bed bugs -- and that was with nice, brandy new clothes -- tho some of it was "made in China" and other areas of the planet being plagued by these nasty bug critters.

So, it's not just the 2nd hand *hand-me-down* thrift shops being on the bug hit lists any more, but the regular run-of-the-mill Macy's, JCPenny's, any city mall outlet store in existence. Buying furniture has become very questionable. I used to hear about the bed bugs plaguing motels and hotels in major cities, as well as out-of-the way country places -- mostly because the folks who do / teach seminars, and traveling sales folks spend much of their time in and out of various motels/hotels and pick up the critters in their luggage or on their clothing. They can't even put fabric items on the chairs any more, because the bugs are hiding out in the furniture being sat upon, while watching Tv or just relaxing.

It's not necessarily the fault of the hotels not being clean enough either -- the problem is that the bugs have multiplied so fast that it has become difficult to keep up with new ways of fighting / removing the critters. And limos -- OMG!! Same problem. People get picked up from one place and dropped off and new folks get picked up and dropped off almost in assembly line fashion. So, the infestation(s) have gotten to the point where APB reports went out nationwide, if NOT *world-wide* to be EXTREMELY careful when traveling, even to exotic paradises (and the tropics are known breeders of bugs!!!).

So, whether someone has money or not, everyone is susceptible to coming in contact with these things nowadays.
                            Even the regular stores I go to buy regular items, like replacements for worn out towels (which I wear them down into see-thru fabrics, usually), or even socks (which mine get worn until they're so holey that the bare toes start peeking thru), in the washer ALL new clothes, sheets, towels, fabrics go. That's just good practice anyway, because you never know who touched those things before, and with what kinds of skin diseases they may have had, too... and that also goes for touching money!!

I used work as a cashier. Some customers would hand me money that looked like it spent several days in the sewer -- not quite slimy, but really ickky.
                            And taking shoes?? Be careful about taking *any* underwear, socks and shoes.. athletes foot, other foot fungus' and (scaly) skin dermatitis issues. That should also include regular clothes as well, even tho doctors claim some skin issues aren't passed on from person to person -- uhhhh, I think they are. I came into contact with something from someone's seat, fabric, or from something or somewhere, and haven't been able to get rid of it ever since. Now, I have to take medication to keep it under control, too.

And as for taking a Raptured person's car that wasn't mobile during the moment the rapture occurs, well, there's also that bit about the cars being 2nd hand clunkers. Not worth taking, in some cases. I've seen quite a few doozeys in my lifetime from visiting homes of other folks who believed in the Rapture event, and yet could never afford getting a new car, but ended up with someone else's nightmare. (That's why the cars / vehicles were often sold to begin with!!)

And the bit with the fleas -- one home, wayyyyyyy out in the country/woods, my hubby and I went to, adopted some stray cats that had kittens, but the kittens wandered in and out of the house. And it was a good thing I wore bright yellow and white socks that day, because sure enough, I may not have brought ticks home, but found a few stray fleas hanging on my shirt...!!!!!!!!! (thanks!!)
                            It was bad enough we inherited from the previous owner, our newly rented apartment had those moth larvae hiding out in the rugs by the dozens, and one crawled under a blanket onto me...Eeeeeeeeeeeeew!! I never jumped up so fast in my life from a sleepy nap.. Well, maybe once before when a daddy-long legger spider decided to walk across my blankets over to my face...!! No thanks. We did manage to kill the spider later that night elsewhere in the same room. didn't help that the spider's coloring blended in and matched the multi-colored carpet. Good camouflage for the buggers..!

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                            Apparently it's about 5 mins til the Rapture.. not seeing anything yet..
                            Well, according to most of the news reports, Harold Camping's version claims that the event will occur continuously at 6-p.m. in each time zone around the globe, starting in New Zealand / Australia. One of the items claimed to be a sign is an earthquake in each zone at that approximate time. geeeeeee.. check the USGS web site for earthquake activity updates. And as one person mentioned as a comment to a news article, Japan already had its MEGA quake in March.. So, Harold Camping's timing is a bit off there..

Now, if California falls into the ocean, we shall see at 9.p.m. EST. If it doesn't quake out more than it already does, well, I can just imagine what the morning sermons are going to be about tomorrow (Sunday) -- all around the globe. Sad for those who bought into the exact time announcements.

Rapture is supposed to be a signless event -- comes without warning, and when one least expects it... meaning, if you're stoned, high on drugs, or doing something other than focusing on what the LORD (God) suggested we do, and yah missed the ride, oh well. Your fault. Can't blame God for being distracted into one's self-indulgence or just distracted from other *issues* that might end up passing into our life at that precise moment in time. If you're on the list for going, great -- whatever you're doing won't matter.. but if you're expecting it to occur and apparently not a total believer in walking with Jesus as "He" would prefer, well, slim pickins, and tough noogies.

That's why Jesus (of Nazareth) said to *always* be on the alert, because no one knows the DAY nor the HOUR" (only be aware of the approximate *season* when it *might* occur, if it does occur).

Expecting the Rapture in 1988 was a tough lesson for me, personally. Losing our home because of a bank majorly screwing our accounts up, when it would have been nice to gain a new home via Rapture (somewhere *promised* in heaven).. I learned that God will only come on HIS time-table, not when man-made predictions *think* it might happen... tho the timing would have rescued us out of a really difficult financial and emotional situation, during that particular year.
                            *sigh*

...and if Jesus really knew before (because he and the father are one and the same), but came to earth and didn't know -- matter of convenience -- that human brain that just can't remember some important facts --- it was necessary to forget if he did know -- can you imagine how many people, including his own disciples (!!) would have tortured him to pry the info out of him??? Bad enough what did happen.
                            Last edited by SGalisa; 21 May 2011, 10:56 AM. Reason: typos -- & added info

Comment

I even went and got a tattoo cuz the world was ending! Damnit! >.<

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                                scary thought!! isn't it..?
                                It wasn't really until last year when we heard that the infestations of bed bugs were being found in practically everything. Regular department stores, such as Target, Walmart, even the uppity ones in NYC on 5th Ave were being invaded by bed bugs -- and that was with nice, brandy new clothes -- tho some of it was "made in China" and other areas of the planet being plagued by these nasty bug critters.

So, it's not just the 2nd hand *hand-me-down* thrift shops being on the bug hit lists any more, but the regular run-of-the-mill Macy's, JCPenny's, any city mall outlet store in existence. Buying furniture has become very questionable. I used to hear about the bed bugs plaguing motels and hotels in major cities, as well as out-of-the way country places -- mostly because the folks who do / teach seminars, and traveling sales folks spend much of their time in and out of various motels/hotels and pick up the critters in their luggage or on their clothing. They can't even put fabric items on the chairs any more, because the bugs are hiding out in the furniture being sat upon, while watching Tv or just relaxing.

It's not necessarily the fault of the hotels not being clean enough either -- the problem is that the bugs have multiplied so fast that it has become difficult to keep up with new ways of fighting / removing the critters. And limos -- OMG!! Same problem. People get picked up from one place and dropped off and new folks get picked up and dropped off almost in assembly line fashion. So, the infestation(s) have gotten to the point where APB reports went out nationwide, if NOT *world-wide* to be EXTREMELY careful when traveling, even to exotic paradises (and the tropics are known breeders of bugs!!!).

So, whether someone has money or not, everyone is susceptible to coming in contact with these things nowadays.
                                Even the regular stores I go to buy regular items, like replacements for worn out towels (which I wear them down into see-thru fabrics, usually), or even socks (which mine get worn until they're so holey that the bare toes start peeking thru), in the washer ALL new clothes, sheets, towels, fabrics go. That's just good practice anyway, because you never know who touched those things before, and with what kinds of skin diseases they may have had, too... and that also goes for touching money!!

I used work as a cashier. Some customers would hand me money that looked like it spent several days in the sewer -- not quite slimy, but really ickky.
                                And taking shoes?? Be careful about taking *any* underwear, socks and shoes.. athletes foot, other foot fungus' and (scaly) skin dermatitis issues. That should also include regular clothes as well, even tho doctors claim some skin issues aren't passed on from person to person -- uhhhh, I think they are. I came into contact with something from someone's seat, fabric, or from something or somewhere, and haven't been able to get rid of it ever since. Now, I have to take medication to keep it under control, too.

And as for taking a Raptured person's car that wasn't mobile during the moment the rapture occurs, well, there's also that bit about the cars being 2nd hand clunkers. Not worth taking, in some cases. I've seen quite a few doozeys in my lifetime from visiting homes of other folks who believed in the Rapture event, and yet could never afford getting a new car, but ended up with someone else's nightmare. (That's why the cars / vehicles were often sold to begin with!!)

And the bit with the fleas -- one home, wayyyyyyy out in the country/woods, my hubby and I went to, adopted some stray cats that had kittens, but the kittens wandered in and out of the house. And it was a good thing I wore bright yellow and white socks that day, because sure enough, I may not have brought ticks home, but found a few stray fleas hanging on my shirt...!!!!!!!!! (thanks!!)
                                It was bad enough we inherited from the previous owner, our newly rented apartment had those moth larvae hiding out in the rugs by the dozens, and one crawled under a blanket onto me...Eeeeeeeeeeeeew!! I never jumped up so fast in my life from a sleepy nap.. Well, maybe once before when a daddy-long legger spider decided to walk across my blankets over to my face...!! No thanks. We did manage to kill the spider later that night elsewhere in the same room. didn't help that the spider's coloring blended in and matched the multi-colored carpet. Good camouflage for the buggers..!

Well, according to most of the news reports, Harold Camping's version claims that the event will occur continuously at 6-p.m. in each time zone around the globe, starting in New Zealand / Australia. One of the items claimed to be a sign is an earthquake in each zone at that approximate time. geeeeeee.. check the USGS web site for earthquake activity updates. And as one person mentioned as a comment to a news article, Japan already had its MEGA quake in March.. So, Harold Camping's timing is a bit off there..

Now, if California falls into the ocean, we shall see at 9.p.m. EST. If it doesn't quake out more than it already does, well, I can just imagine what the morning sermons are going to be about tomorrow (Sunday) -- all around the globe. Sad for those who bought into the exact time announcements.

Rapture is supposed to be a signless event -- comes without warning, and when one least expects it... meaning, if you're stoned, high on drugs, or doing something other than focusing on what the LORD (God) suggested we do, and yah missed the ride, oh well. Your fault. Can't blame God for being distracted into one's self-indulgence or just distracted from other *issues* that might end up passing into our life at that precise moment in time. If you're on the list for going, great -- whatever you're doing won't matter.. but if you're expecting it to occur and apparently not a total believer in walking with Jesus as "He" would prefer, well, slim pickins, and tough noogies.

That's why Jesus (of Nazareth) said to *always* be on the alert, because no one knows the DAY nor the HOUR" (only be aware of the approximate *season* when it *might* occur, if it does occur).

Expecting the Rapture in 1988 was a tough lesson for me, personally. Losing our home because of a bank majorly screwing our accounts up, when it would have been nice to gain a new home via Rapture (somewhere *promised* in heaven).. I learned that God will only come on HIS time-table, not when man-made predictions *think* it might happen... tho the timing would have rescued us out of a really difficult financial and emotional situation, during that particular year.
                                *sigh*

...and if Jesus really knew before (because he and the father are one and the same), but came to earth and didn't know -- matter of convenience -- that human brain that just can't remember some important facts --- it was necessary to forget if he did know -- can you imagine how many people, including his own disciples (!!) would have tortured him to pry the info out of him??? Bad enough what did happen.
                                it's why I use 1 cup of vinegar in my washing machine's rinse water...the acidity works both as a fabric softener and as a disinfectant for the clothes and the interior of the machine.....if some clothing I bought was REALLY bad off I might just do a no-laundry soap wash with just vinegar and lots of it (like say a whole gallon) and then put another whole gallon of vinegar into the rinse cycle....that should be good enough sterilization for the clothes....as far as traveling I've been lucky in my hotel stays so far......though we also don't get to travel much either.........but next time I go to a hotel I might bring an industrial strength bug bomb with me and right after I check in I'll tell whoever my wife might be at this point in time to meet me at the nearest starbucks.....go to the hotel room and make sure all the windows are closed...activate the bug bomb....hold my breath as I leave the hotel room.....then go to that starbucks and guzzle some mochas all day there and then by the end of the day the bomb should've had a chance to work its magic....go back to the hotel room...hold my breath as I go in and open the windows.....sleep in the lobby overnight...and by next morning my hotel roonm should be ready for habitation.....

Comment

Working...
                                X