This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Ice breakers notwithstanding... Allowing Shell to drill for oil is much worse.
    And of course, you yourself don't consume any oil based products, or use any energy derived from oil, right?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
      you'd rather have BP, Mobil, Texaco or Exxon do it?
      Any of them... that whole area should be protected.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      And of course, you yourself don't consume any oil based products, or use any energy derived from oil, right?
      I do...nevertheless I'd rather there would be no oildrilling at all in that area. Or anywhere.

And yes, I admit to being a Greenpeace supporter. Though not as green a person as I probably could be, but I try my best.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

any viable alternatives to propose?

Comment

Personally, I'm a big fan of solar and wind energy.

Renewable energy - a list!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Personally, I'm a big fan of solar and wind energy.
            tricky to power an airliner or car with those. lol

why not focus on hi-tech things like antimatter power & relegate the rest to secondary priority

Comment

Mmm... okay, here you go...

Sunlight to Seawater: 10 Ways to Power Your Car

Electric Planes on the Way With Greener, Cheaper Flights

Comment

No, but if you use oil products, isn't it being hypocritical to object to getting the oil in the first place?

Comment

No, but if you use oil products, isn't it being hypocritical to object to getting the oil in the first place?
                  then isn't it being hypocritical to call people out on using oil products when they've no choice?

should everyone also stop criticizing the banking system because a bank account is compulsory
                  etc.

Comment

then isn't it being hypocritical to call people out on using oil products when they've no choice?
                    etc.
                    You just hit the nail on the head. At this point in our technological development, there is no practical alternative to oil based energy for many of our needs. So unless you're willing to stop using oil based products, it's hypocritical to complain about how they are obtained.
                    There is no other choice at this time.

Comment

So unless you're willing to stop using oil based products
                      but you just admitted that's impossible

so basically it's hypocritical to complain about having to do something? very unusual logic there

what about the banking example?

Comment

I don't know how you pulled the issues with banks into this, but it wasn't central to our discussion, so I didn't respond to it.

My point is that people who use oil based energy and products shouldn't be advocating limits upon how oil is obtained; if limits are placed upon drilling, fracking, etc. obviously the amount available will decrease. So you are advocating mandatory reductions in use.

But if you yourself are fine with your own use of oil products and energy, you must be expecting others to cease their use. If you feel that oil use should be stopped or limited, shouldn't it begin with you, yourself?

Comment

My point is that people who use oil based energy and products shouldn't be advocating limits upon how oil is obtained; if limits are placed upon drilling, fracking, etc. obviously the amount available will decrease. So you are advocating mandatory reductions in use.
                          I'm not fine with the destruction of nature, and that's exactly what a lot of that drilling and frakking is doing.

Call me a hypocrite all you like, but I would like to live in a clean environment and every bit helps to make it so. Baby steps going forward. Allowing Shell to drill up north is taking steps back.

Comment

I don't know how you pulled the issues with banks into this, but it wasn't central to our discussion, so I didn't respond to it.
                            I mentioned it because it's the same logic
                            My point is that people who use oil based energy and products, do so because they have to
                            and they have to because there's no alternative
                            and there's no alternative because the corporates decided so
                            and the corporates decided so because...wait, it ends with them. so they're the ones responsible. and yet they shouldn't be criticized?
                            But if you yourself are fine with your own use of oil products and energy
                            whether we're fine with it or not is irrelevant cause we've no choice
                            you must be expecting others to cease their use.
                            nope I expect alternatives
                            basically I expect an end to this "monopoly"

Comment

For fixed location use, there are alternatives. Nuclear is the best one, but the enviros shut that down. The issue is for mobile use.

What alternative is there for gasoline? Do we have anything that is safely transportable and can meet or exceed the energy density of gasoline ?

Comment

Never seen a Tesla car, I reckon...

Comment

Working...
                                X