Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to make a new thread but decided to post this here since copyright law is politics kind of..

http://www.digital-digest.com/news-6...-Thoughts.html

GM, and other car makers want to make working on your own car illegal due to you guessed it copyright

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-for...160000229.html

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/0...y-own-your-car

OMG see this is also why do not need corporations. They are a flawed entity.. This is just plain messed up and wrong.

According to all this even flashing your car ECU could land you in hot water.

And 3 of the companies are American companies that used to pride themselves on people working on their own cars. In a word this is wrong in my oh so very humble opinion.. I blame corporations and their greed for these kind of decisions..

Not surprised that the car makers jumped onboard with this too as they are *******s too.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

If it weren't for corporations, who would have made your car?
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I see this as more of a case where the automotive industry wants to copy the absurd copyright rules that the software and media content have managed to get people to agree to, and you can't blame them.

The software and media industries have gotten away with agreements that basically let them dictate how you use their products after you have purchased them. Software for one computer only, iTunes' infamous 5 device restriction, etc. This must look incredibly tempting to other businesses, and I expect we'll see more industries trying to adopt these restrictions.

The proper solution is to reign in the software/media industries. Basically, if you buy something, it's yours to do with as you see fit should be the assumption, and the manufacturer loses that right to dictate its use when he accepts payment for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          I see this as more of a case where the automotive industry wants to copy the absurd copyright rules that the software and media content have managed to get people to agree to, and you can't blame them.

The software and media industries have gotten away with agreements that basically let them dictate how you use their products after you have purchased them. Software for one computer only, iTunes' infamous 5 device restriction, etc. This must look incredibly tempting to other businesses, and I expect we'll see more industries trying to adopt these restrictions.

The proper solution is to reign in the software/media industries. Basically, if you buy something, it's yours to do with as you see fit should be the assumption, and the manufacturer loses that right to dictate its use when he accepts payment for it.

But then you will get people crying you are trampling over their IP rights..... Waaa waaa

It would be like buying a Windows computer and not being allowed to remove that and put Linux on the hard disk....

As far as I am concerned if you buy something like software it should be yours to do with what you will. Same for game modding. How is that hurting their coffers?

I love the GTA mods....

GTA Frozen

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            But then you will get people crying you are trampling over their IP rights..... Waaa waaa

It would be like buying a Windows computer and not being allowed to remove that and put Linux on the hard disk....

As far as I am concerned if you buy something like software it should be yours to do with what you will. Same for game modding. How is that hurting their coffers?
            Ok, this is scary... I agree with you.

Comment

"Equality" ?
              http://nypost.com/2015/05/03/woman-t...-fitness-test/
              The FDNY for the first time in its history will allow someone who failed its crucial physical fitness test to join the Bravest, The Post has learned.

Rebecca Wax, 33, is set to graduate Tuesday from the Fire Academy without passing the Functional Skills Training test, a grueling obstacle course of job-related tasks performed in full gear with a limited air supply, an insider has revealed.

“They’re going to allow the first person to graduate without passing because this administration has lowered the standard,” said the insider, who is familiar with the training.

Upon graduation, Wax would be assigned to a firehouse and tasked with the full duties of a firefighter.

Some FDNY members are angry.

“We’re being asked to go into a fire with someone who isn’t 100 percent qualified,” the source said. “Our job is a team effort. If there’s a weak link in the chain, either civilians or our members can die.”
              Seems their definition of "equal" is part of some form of mathematics that I don't understand.

Comment

"Equality" ?

Seems their definition of "equal" is part of some form of mathematics that I don't understand.
                they mixed up "politically correct" & "mathematically correct"
                an honest mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                  GM, and other car makers want to make working on your own car illegal due to you guessed it copyright
                  Considering the amount of electronics in a car these days, it's no surprise they wouldn't want people tinkering with it. Claiming copyright and infringement takes a bit too far, though.

"Equality" ?

This isn't equality, this is stupidity. If you can't pass the physical tests, especially in a job in which you are required to be able to save lives, then no firefighting for you. Keep practicing - if this girl wants to be a firefighter, she'll pass the test (even if only after the umpteenth time).
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I totally agree with you Falcon. Like the guy said they have to rely on each other, no exceptions should be made
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Considering the amount of electronics in a car these days, it's no surprise they wouldn't want people tinkering with it. Claiming copyright and infringement takes a bit too far, though.

This isn't equality, this is stupidity. If you can't pass the physical tests, especially in a job in which you are required to be able to save lives, then no firefighting for you. Keep practicing - if this girl wants to be a firefighter, she'll pass the test (even if only after the umpteenth time).
                      a lot of people in our military have the same concerns about female soldiers on the front lines.....they wonder whether they've passed the physical tests required for front line combat duty

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        a lot of people in our military have the same concerns about female soldiers on the front lines.....they wonder whether they've passed the physical tests required for front line combat duty
                        I sincerely hope they did earn their rightful place. Because otherwise you have no right to be there, be thy man or woman, some jobs just require that little bit more. Hence why I never joined the military - i wouldn't have made it passed the medical check-up. And there's little you can do to change that.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          I sincerely hope they did earn their rightful place. Because otherwise you have no right to be there, be thy man or woman, some jobs just require that little bit more. Hence why I never joined the military - i wouldn't have made it passed the medical check-up. And there's little you can do to change that.
                          yeah I have no problem with women in combat duty either as long as they've passed the same tests men have passed

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                            yeah I have no problem with women in combat duty either as long as they've passed the same tests men have passed
                            And not all men pass them either.

Comment

Most dogs don't pass them either
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Ok, this is scary... I agree with you.
                                I am scared too We agree on something lol

I saw the daftest thing . Military cadets in the USA being forced to march in high heels to promote some women's thing, and not just the women but the males too. What the freaking hell is going on?

Comment

Working...
                                X