This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    She's making this claim in God's name so unless God has hired her as his lawyer or given her permission to take this to court for him.. First she has to prove she has the right to speak for God..

Which according to Timothy 2:12:

She doesn't.

Thou shalt not picketh and chooseth. She's trying to use the Bible to prove that being gay is a sin.. But that same book says she doesn't have the right to do so..

Hey I now wonder if this woman isn't too bright and someone has actually put her up to do this without her knowing thinking it's her idea..
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      Hey I now wonder if this woman isn't too bright and someone has actually put her up to do this without her knowing thinking it's her idea..
      She is just an elder lady rigid in her own ideals. Its not uncommon for the older generation to be stubborn in their own beliefs. This kind of thing has been going on for centuries
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        She is just an elder lady rigid in her own ideals. Its not uncommon for the older generation to be stubborn in their own beliefs. This kind of thing has been going on for centuries
        It got thrown out of court

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2015/0...dismissed.html

Comment

I believed I said of much yesterday
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

In context...
            I've read enough of it.. Mostly so I can use the God Squad's own book against them when they use it to attack me

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Just as long as you are okay when they do the same against you
            But they do already.. They quote some passage and say I'm breaking some rule that doesn't apply to me because I don't follow their religion.. so I use a passage against them that proves they're also breaking the rules..

Like the one about wearing clothes with holes in. Or the mixed fabrics. Or cutting the hair on the sides of their heads.. etc...
            awww. Don't you know that holey clothes are (generic) your "Sunday best" -- they are Holey.

I often wear holey socks, until I can get new ones to replace them. My hubby teases me all the time about wearing my Sunday best holey clothing wardrobe. I grew up being the hand-me-down kid, who got lots of stuff either outdated or the article of clothing was almost ready to fall apart. My parents didn't have much financially to snub their noses at second-hand furniture and other things. And I used to cringe when I went to school with outdated clothes or things held together with safety pins, because many other kids had the latest and greatest *cool* stuff in everything.

(Sadly, there are some really financially poor folks, who only have holey clothing, and not much in lines of new stuff. Who are *we* if being a "Christian" to criticize, if we don't help that person out by buying something new or in good condition for them, so they don't need to keep wearing their holey clothes?)

Mixed fabrics...
            This was a new one to me that I only recently learned about a few months ago. I was reading something about the ten commandments, and came across the 613 extra commands (or whatever total amount that was) in Judaism, and the orthodox were very strict in ancient days about keeping various fabrics separated from each another to maintain their *purity* (I think there was a recent article or conversation I came across where Muslims are also strict with their fabrics being kept separated and *pure*).

Nowadays, for many fabric experts (and fashion designers), it's simply a matter of how one material type is washed vs. a different material type. If two different types are sewn together in one outfit, and one fabric shrinks, while the other might stretch, there is going to be an obvious problem there -- which dry cleaning might be the only way to treat the outfit. That gets pretty expensive after a while.

I grew up wearing synthetic fabrics, because my parents felt the materials were cheap and affordable. Nevermind, some of the fabrics would give off a terrible odor if someone was allergic to them -- which, apparently, I was allergic! But I had to put up with the smell from sweat (reacting with the fabrics), and the nasty comments from other kids who had better quality things.

Anywho, now that I get my own stuff, I'm very careful about what not to wear if allergic to the material. But I like the stretchy spandex mixes, because most of them are nice (they don't react too terribly against super sensitive skin). Otherwise, what I should be wearing, I figured out a long time ago, that I can't afford, so I get what I can afford that works with super sensitive skin types like mine.

Also, ever since that mid-life stage started, and I've been tossed between hot and cold flashes every hour of every day, seven days every week of the year, I stopped caring what other people think I look like. Their critical POVs are their problem. They don't have to live with my body's (relentless) broken thermostat issues..I do. Usually, only people who have endured similar things to me, can relate to what I've experienced and are sympathetic with utmost compassion, like kindred spirits. That doesn't cure my ills, but it helps me survive thru it a bit better.

Comment

actually dry cleaning can be done relatively inexpensively if you do it yourself, which isn't as hard as it sounds....they make these dry cleaning kits (brand name "Dryel") and I think all you have to do is spray the article needing dry-cleaning with the Dryel spray then toss it into a Dryel bag along with a Dryel dry-cleaning sheet and zip it closed and toss it into the dryer.....probably much cheaper than taking it to a dry-cleaning place

Comment

according to Timothy 2:12:

I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

Comment

She's making this claim in God's name so unless God has hired her as his lawyer or given her permission to take this to court for him.. First she has to prove she has the right to speak for God..

Which according to Timothy 2:12:

I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

Isn't there something weird about women not wearing a hat in church in there too, I think in the New Testament

Comment

I thought they had to wear a hat
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
                      I thought they had to wear a hat
                      Not sure. It has been forever since I have read a bible. But there is something about women and hats in church.

Comment

I tried reading her complaint, but couldn't make out half of the handwriting.

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                        awww. Don't you know that holey clothes are (generic) your "Sunday best" -- they are Holey.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post

Yeah, you keep on running.

Not sure. It has been forever since I have read a bible. But there is something about women and hats in church.
                        Here you go...

Women have worn hats in church for centuries and still do so without it being considered disrespectful. Again, this goes back to the biblical idea of head coverings (probably veils) being used as an outward, cultural symbol of an inward attitude. However, nowhere in the Bible does it say women must wear hats or veils or kapps in church. The passages in 1 Corinthians 11 that seem to suggest women ought to have a head covering in church are better interpreted as a mandate for women to follow cultural norms, to show respect for one’s husband, and to maintain a distinctly feminine appearance. Many Bible scholars believe the only required covering for the woman is her hair (1 Corinthians 11:15). In either case, it’s difficult to be dogmatic about this passage. Some scholars say this passage is one of the most difficult in the whole New Testament to thoroughly understand.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
                          Mixed fabrics...
                          This was a new one to me that I only recently learned about a few months ago. I was reading something about the ten commandments, and came across the 613 extra commands (or whatever total amount that was) in Judaism, and the orthodox were very strict in ancient days about keeping various fabrics separated from each another to maintain their *purity* (I think there was a recent article or conversation I came across where Muslims are also strict with their fabrics being kept separated and *pure*).
                          This is actually a very misunderstood rule. It relates to prohibition of actions that may lead to hybridization of certain species of plants and animals (planting a mix of plant seeds in the same field, plowing with an ox and a donkey in the same plow). It concerns only two specific fabrics (sheep-sourced wool and linen, which the verse mentions), so it does not apply to cotton, synthetic fabric or fur from camels, alpacas, rabbits etc.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Isn't there something weird about women not wearing a hat in church in there too, I think in the New Testament
                            in the Catholic Church there was a practice of women wearing some type of head covering and as far as I' aware there was no set rule for that particular practice...the covering could range from a simple affair not unlike a tea cozy to some pretty elaborate veils hailing back to Orthodox Jewish customs

the practice fell by the wayside eventually but I think the practice is making a comeback (again this is only a practice though not an official teaching, so women who don't wear a veil aren't in violation of any teaching regarding veils since as far as I' aware there is no official teaching regarding head coverings)

though if you ask me the fact that it's disrespectful for a man to wear a hat in church but not for a woman to cover her head in the same church seems to me a little like reverse sexism

Comment

Women wearing veils pfft.

Comment

Women wearing veils pfft.
                                well at least with these veils you can still see the woman's face....unlike the burkas of Muslim women where you can't see their face at all......which kinda makes issuing photo ID's of any kind difficult...and any time they try to make a rule that says you have to remove such things in order to make your whole face visible for ID purposes they get all up in arms

Comment

Working...
                                X