Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, just to see if I can shock any of you.....

I agree with this rather strongly. In fact, I would go even farther, requiring any company that suffers a data breach for any reason assume complete financial responsibility to make whole any person that is affected by the breach.
    If Equifax is hacked, they must pay full restoration costs for anyone who is hacked or a victim of ID theft as a result.

If a web site is hacked, and spreads malware to visitors via any method, the site owner must assume responsibility for those infected computers.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea; make lax security so expensive for companies that they don't dare be lax with security.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/data-property-right/

Each of us generates a significant amount of data each day during the normal course of our activities. Our phones and computers track our movement and actions, while our browsers and websites track our online activities. As we’ve seen, some of the largest tech companies can know more about us and our lives than our families and those closest to us.

As of now, that data is owned by the people who collect it, and they’re allowed to do anything they want with it. They’ve sold it, used it to target us with advertisements, and have analyzed the vast quantity of data to draw conclusions on whole populations, allowing them to monetize it.

We’ve also seen it abused. Some companies haven’t done enough to protect our data, resulting in breaches that have made our private information insecure. Others have sold it to disreputable companies, allowing them to target us for everything from marketing fraudulent services to influencing elections. Companies themselves have asked for better and clearer rules.

This needs to stop. Data generated by each individual needs to be owned by them, with certain rights conveyed that will allow them to know how it’s used and protect it. These rights include:

The right to be informed as to what data will be collected, and how it will be used
    The right to opt out of data collection or sharing
    The right to be told if a website has data on you, and what that data is
    The right to be forgotten; to have all data related to you deleted upon request
    The right to be informed if ownership of your data changes hands
    The right to be informed of any data breaches including your information in a timely manner
    The right to download all data in a standardized format to port to another platform

Consent should be informed and active – companies are responsible for ensuring that they collect a positive opt-in from each user before collecting any data, and this opt-in should be accompanied by a clear and easy-to-understand statement about what data is being collected, and how it is going to be used. You can waive these rights and opt in to sharing your data if you wish for the companies’ benefit and your own convenience – but then you should receive a share of the economic value generated from your data.
    Last edited by Annoyed; 03 October 2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      No, the environment I speak of is the public schools. It's not acceptable for the rotten kids to disrupt the learning experience for those who are there to learn.
      You're thinking of how harsh the punishment is for the troublemakers. I'm thinking of preventing harm to the students who are there to learn and behaving themselves. Why should they have to tolerate being disrupted? I'm not so concerned with coddling the disruptive troublemakers.

Another thing is, how many of these troublemakers take the lesson that obeying the rules doesn't really matter if there are no consequences for their behavior? Pipeline from schools to prisons and such.. Isn't that a concern?
      Because the punishment doesn't fit the crime. It would be like firing an employee for any rule breaking. You seem to have this idea that the only form punishment is suspension
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

No, the environment I speak of is the public schools. It's not acceptable for the rotten kids to disrupt the learning experience for those who are there to learn.
        You know what, it is pointless having a conversation with you, I'm done. You should sign up on the INCEL boards, if that's not done already.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

That is why I mock him.
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Because the punishment doesn't fit the crime. It would be like firing an employee for any rule breaking. You seem to have this idea that the only form punishment is suspension
            Because as a matter of practice, that is all that ever seems to happen. Yes, there have been suggestions of moving troublemakers to their own classes, but at best those programs are very temporary, in place until the bill comes due.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
              You know what, it is pointless having a conversation with you, I'm done. You should sign up on the INCEL boards, if that's not done already.
              That doesn't even make sense. As I understand it, "incel" is "involuntary celibate", people who can't get dates. That isn't what we're talking about.

Comment

Because as a matter of practice, that is all that ever seems to happen. Yes, there have been suggestions of moving troublemakers to their own classes, but at best those programs are very temporary, in place until the bill comes due.
                That is BS and you know it
                Jelgate is right

Comment

That is BS and you know it
                  Hardly. The taxpayers (remember, the folks who pay for the schools?) quite properly look at it as "why should we pay for separate teachers/staff/classrooms/etc for troublemakers?"

These aren't special needs / handicapped children, where the expense can be justified. They are the results of poor parenting at home. The parents never disciplined them effectively. Why not send them home and let the parents deal with them?

Comment

Already asked and answered. It defies common sense to dish the severest punishment for first time offenders
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Already asked and answered. It defies common sense to dish the severest punishment for first time offenders
                      Unless you want an effective solution. Or at least one that is better than the coddling they get nowadays.

Don't forget, before ever getting written up, the teacher has already tried lesser methods to no avail.

Scare the shiznit out of the little troublemaker, and he might behave.

Comment

You are just repeating yourself again. You are still ignoring that it makes no sense to give out the worst punishment for first offenses
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

It's not as if the "worst punishment" is a life sentence to prison. It's just suspension.

And sometimes, the top penalty IS appropriate. Suppose I get up one morning and decide to blow someone away because they are an incorrigible lefty. So I choose a weapon, hunt the offender down and kill him.

It's my first offense. Does that mean I don't deserve a Murder charge?

Comment

You're moving the goalposts again
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

You are just repeating yourself again. You are still ignoring that it makes no sense to give out the worst punishment for first offenses
                              Nope. They're right where you left them.

Comment

They are not. You should go reread your posts
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X