This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Unless you want an effective solution. Or at least one that is better than the coddling they get nowadays.

Don't forget, before ever getting written up, the teacher has already tried lesser methods to no avail.

Scare the shiznit out of the little troublemaker, and he might behave.
    I had a table of students who talked way too much in class. All I had to do was separate two of the kids and that ended the problem. Getting them suspended is...pointless. In the past 6 years I have ever only had two kids curse me out, those I wrote up. They got saturday school each and the event didn't repeat itself. Suspension wasn't needed then apparently. I've had a few classes where they dump the most difficult students in (often times they failed the course on top of their behavioral problems). Most of those kids, I've never had to write up. Out of 4 classes of that kind, I only had a total of 4 students who ended up getting multiple write ups from me. Here's their breakdown:

1. A kid with a behavioral disorder (I swear that if I told him to breath he'd asphyxiate himself just to disobey me)
    2. A kid who suffered sexual and physical abuse, prevented from going to school (he was "homeschooled") throughout his elementary school years and most of his middle school years until his abuse was discovered. He had an enormously hard time adjusting.
    3. A kid who just wanted to do his own thing, I never knew what his issue was.
    4. A kid who had severe ADHD and negligent parents. I never heard back from them and heard more from his best friend's parents.

Many of the other troubled kids I've worked with never got to that point and rarely disrespected me. I've learned that some of the teachers in another department have had issues with respect with those same kids. The difference? They are super strict and anal retentive. They didn't act out against me because I found a way to develop a rapport with them instead of throwing the heaviest book at them the moment they slipped up. Those four kids above, number one is the only of those four that cursed me out. The other one that did that was an honors student (neither ever did it again).

Now I'll be honest about kid number 1, 2, and 4. They don't fit into the cookie cutter mold of the general population of the student body. They needed specialized care that they didn't get because reasons. Education shouldn't be a "one size fits all" endeavour and I feel that we as a school simply wasted the time of those three kids and did them a disservice by expecting them to be normal when everything about their background screamed otherwise. Suspensions won't fix years of sexual abuse, they won't fix psychological/neurological disorders, and they won't fix parental neglect/ineptitude.

As for the rest of the behavioral problems I have faced, I have found that parents' wrath are far more effective than suspensions. I'll disagree with Chaka here though, suspensions do have merit. The thing is that they are meant to get the parent's attention more than anything else, as well as to remove a possible threat to other students to allow things to cool down. A suspension for dropping the F-bomb by accident is completely meaningless and pointless.

By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      As for the rest of the behavioral problems I have faced, I have found that parents' wrath are far more effective than suspensions.
      True

I'll disagree with Chaka here though, suspensions do have merit. The thing is that they are meant to get the parent's attention more than anything else, as well as to remove a possible threat to other students to allow things to cool down. A suspension for dropping the F-bomb by accident is completely meaningless and pointless.
      I actually agree with everything you've said. Suspension should be the last resort, for severe violence or behavioral problems. It doesn't come as a surprise to me that MAGA's advocate for this though, if it was up to them they'd double jail time for all offenses just because repression.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Except shootings of course Chaka
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

How nice of the USA to abandon its allies.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...kurdish-forces

GOP has blood on their hands.
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            How nice of the USA to abandon its allies.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...kurdish-forces

GOP has blood on their hands.
            the neocons here might wanna explain why Trump's helping Turkey/ISIS

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
              Not a neocon but usually the answers are limited to:

- Taxes
              - ***** other countries (and immigrants)
              - MAGA

Your pick.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

He doesn't want to anger Turkey because he has property there. We have already established Trump cares about himself not the US
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                  A few points I've heard on news reports the past day or so..

We can and will use economic "warfare" if Turkey gets out of line.

We can also re-deploy troops quickly if needed.

It's my understanding that Turkey is in an economic black hole as a result of excessive debt. Consider what U.S. trade policy might do to an economy that is in deep doo-doo. Might be more effective than butllets.

Comment

A few points I've heard on news reports the past day or so..

It's my understanding that Turkey is in an economic black hole as a result of excessive debt. Consider what U.S. trade policy might do to an economy that is in deep doo-doo. Might be more effective than butllets.
                    you're dodging the question but that's expected

(Turkey bombing the kurds won't qualify as "out of line" for Trump as long as they don't bomb his own hotels)

anyway hope the electors remember how Trump allied with ISIS

wonder if the neocons will trade their MAGA hats for MIGA hats

Comment

You go, girl!

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez proposes 'prison abolition': 'A cage is a cage'

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez proposed abolishing prisons in favor of “just alternatives to incarceration” in a series of tweets Monday.
                      Really, the Republicans ought to put her on their payroll. She's doing more to garner Republican votes than most Republicans.

Comment

*later that same week*

Turkey launches military operation in northern Syria
                        Erdogan announces start of operation, as Kurds report airstrikes and artillery fire near border

This was monday: Trump threatens Turkey after giving green light to Syria invasion

The attack happened today... I say Erdogan really couldn't give a flying fig what Trump says.

Errm.... yeah, about that...

Trump defends decision to abandon Kurdish allies in Syria

"An official familiar with the Erdogan call said the Turkish president was “ranting” at Trump, saying the safe zone was not working and that Turkey couldn’t trust the U.S. military to do what was needed. And in reaction, Trump said the U.S. wanted no part of an invasion and would withdraw troops."

I think the SDF, comprised of Arabs and Kurds, is on their own here.

Again, the US made the "thread" on monday. It's wednesday today and the Turks have started attacks on Syria. I don't think Erdogan really cares about that.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Again, the US made the "thread" on monday. It's wednesday today and the Turks have started attacks on Syria. I don't think Erdogan really cares about that.
                          as long as Don's hotels in Turkey are safe so is Herrdogan

btw why hasn't the EU declared Turkey a terrorist state yet (they're ISIS allies)

Comment

How many Kurds have or will die, and will the GOP own this bloodshed? Were not the Kurds one of our best allies?

Comment

The majority of GOP was opposed to this. This is all Trump's incompetence.
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                The majority of GOP was opposed to this. This is all Trump's incompetence.

Yes but none of them will say that out loud they are all still licking his boots.

Comment

Working...
                                X